Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:21 pm

That was his Thinking Beard. He grows it while he does Bat Thinking.

A Bat Beard, if you will.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:27 pm

I would actually accept the beard if there was a scene in the movie like this:

Diana: Bruce, how did you grow a beard in two hours?

Bruce: I'm Batman.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:35 pm

(deep breath) BECAUSE I'M--

Diana: No, no: we're not doing that.

Bruce:...Because--

Diana: No. Stop it.

Bruce:....becausei'mbatman...
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:16 pm

It doesn't even matter anymore. DC is NEVER going to be relevant ever again.

I mean have you seen the recent Social Media posts for Shazam? Looks campy as F*ck.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:10 pm

What were you expecting from a movie about a teenage boy who screams SHAZAM so a wizard will turn him into a flying strongman?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Ever read Millars Superior? It's a relatively light-hearted Shazam-expy story. But with some really dark moments in it as befitting of Mark Millar.

Like I said before I feel this is going to be a case of the pendulum swinging too far in the opposite direction.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 am

You know what would have really saved JL? If everyone was fighting against the STEPPENWOLF band. I swear for a solid two weeks I had to keep reminding myself that the band wasn’t what the film was referring to, and being constantly disappointed by that fact.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:33 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:It doesn't even matter anymore. DC is NEVER going to be relevant ever again.

I wouldn't go that far. They survived Batman and Robin and Steel. They can survive this.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:You know what would have really saved JL? If everyone was fighting against the STEPPENWOLF band. I swear for a solid two weeks I had to keep reminding myself that the band wasn’t what the film was referring to, and being constantly disappointed by that fact.

Steppenwolf was bad, yes. Part of that whole “sequel to movies that don’t exist” problem with the film itself. We were given no context for who or what he is or where he comes from or what he wants or what motivates his character. To an uninitiated audience member he was a weird guy with gear stolen from Skyrim who’s a little rapey and has a momma’s boy thing going. I’m sure lots of people also spent the movie wondering why he looked like Benedict Cumberbatch but did not sound like him.

What hamstrings these movies as much, as not more, as lack of direction for the brand and poor choice of directors to help the projects is atrociously bad writing from the scripts.

The DCCU scripts all suffer from the same problem to a degree: they’re full of things suddenly happening for no reason, or characters making illogical choices, or clashing themes. Even the tightest DCCU movie plot wise, Wonder Woman, still has a few head scratchers.

Most egregiously there’s a lot of characters acting a way or making a choice the writer thinks they should, rather than what is organic, and the hallmarks of writers tackling characters and plots that are far above their ability. Not to mentioning shoehorning their views in where they don’t belong. (Looking at you Goyer)
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:33 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:I wouldn't go that far. They survived Batman and Robin and Steel. They can survive this.

Those moves were standalones not intended to be the setup for a grander Cinematic Universe down the line. When you fail to get critical Acclaim for the first few movies intended to be set up for your Cinematic Universe every other movie is going to have to be an apology for the last few movies and the problems are just going to compound with each other until eventually you'll have to reboot.

I said it before I'll say it again it's one thing to fail with a single movie it's another to fail with what was supposed to be an entire setup for a Cinematic Universe That was supposed to , B a money printer

At this point Marvel has a monopoly on the entire superhero genre and they always will (Especially after the Fox buyout and Disney consolidating power) DC will never have a Cinematic Universe that can compete with them even if they do make good movies. They crapped the bed now they have to lie in it.

The only way DC could have a good Cinematic Universe would be if they rebooted 100% from a cold start but thanks the Wonder Woman being a success they aren't going to. And at this point they're so far behind Marvel even if they did reboot and start making good movies they would never be able to compete. NEVER.

So the problems are just going to compound upon themselves eventually we're going to have to concede defeat and shelve the whole thing until the superhero Renaissance happens in 20 or so years after the current bubble pops. And by then DC will be so far back in the annals of Pop Culture Goodwill nobody will even care.

Maybe I should rephrase. " never be relevant again"doesn't mean they won't stick around never be relevant again means that they'll never be on par with the competition.

It's better to just accept there's no hope for DC and live with the fact that Marvel's the only one who's ever going to have a good cohesive Cinematic Universe. While DC is forced to live on the scraps leftover from Marvel's domination of the genre.

This is especially the case given DC is trapped at Warner Brothers who were all the good movies they make are not the best place for these characters to be they need to be somewhere where the issues that caused the current state of the dceu are guaranteed to never happen ever again. But given every Studio wants to sit on IPS even if they aren't making them money? There is no way Warner Brothers is ever going to give control of the characters over to someone who can do them Justice.

I hope someone can prove me wrong. By the end of the day I know in my heart that nobody is going to ever be able to make DC relevant nver again. At least as far as the movies are concerned.

It's just no fair that it's come to this and that the situation between the two companies has gotten so toxic. If both companies were succeeding we would be having friendly competition and not the at each other's throats self destructive rubbing it in the losers face environment the Fanboy Community is degenerated into

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Remember Daredevil?

And Elektra?

All the Fantastic Four movies?

...including the one that was never released in theaters? Yes, even that one. Because I remember. I remember them all.

Even the FIRST Captain America movie...and no, it was not the one with Chris Evans.

Each of those movies was considered a knock-out blow to Marvel's movie aspirations, and yet...here we are.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:49 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Gee, Ray, you must win a lot of optimist awards. In all seriousness, it's really damping the mood of this thread.

Also, you say that "DC has been nothing but failure under the Warner banner." That is simply not true. Leaving aside how the movies did with critics for a moment (since it's a well established fact that movies can be successful in spite of poor reviews), let's look at how the DCEU movies actually performed from a purely financial perspective:

Man of Steel-- Cost $225-$250 million, earned $668 million. Successful.

Batman vs Superman-- Cost $250 million, earned $874 million. Successful.

Suicide Squad-- Cost $175 million, earned $747 million. Successful. Take a look at the budget here, though; It's somewhat lower than MoS and BvS.

Wonder Woman--Cost $150 million, earned $822 million. Successful. Once again, not the lower budget than the first two movies.

Justice League-- Cost at least $300 million, earned $675 million. Not successful. Notice that it had a higher budget than any other DC movie before it.

So what do we see here? The first four movies in the DCEU were all profitable, though only Wonder Woman could really be called a runaway smash hit. Regarding the next upcoming DC movie, Aquaman, its budget has been stated to be $160 million, which puts it in the same boat as Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad. So it's likely to at least turn a profit.

PS: there has been one MCU movie that was a money-loser-- The Incredible Hulk, in 2008.
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:11 pm

I don't know why you keep projecting this grand manichean struggle on box office competition between two megaconglomerates. You sound really upset over something that fundamentally isn't that important. If the toxicity in the fan communities is bothersome to you, why not just go do something else for a time?
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 pm

It's not appropriate to be upset when the biggest pop culture icon in the history of the world is being left to rot on the wayside while effing ANT MAN gets a multi million dollar critically acclaimed movie?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:55 pm

You. . . really hate Marvel, don't you?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:20 pm

I have never seen a single one of the movies discussed in this thread, and I am perfectly happy about it. I wonder if there's a correlation. :tongue:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm getting fever-visioned flashbacks of the times when TDSA could do nothing but vent about how he got kicked out of the Toho Kingdom forums; his entire posting persona degrading into some form of Biblical malaise after getting cast out of what, for him, was Internet Eden.

That is the level of ridiculousness that your constant complaining about DC and Marvel is rapidly approaching.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm

We must step back and remember the proper place of these movies of manly men in manly pants in out hearts, lest we be led astray into a barren land of fanboy wars and shipping battles where WonderBats and TonyCap fanatics assail each other with weaponized uguu, far removed from the sight of God.

WonderBats for life. Heal him, Diana. Heal him.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:05 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:You. . . really hate Marvel, don't you?

Contrary to popular belief. No. I don't. I just wish their success didn't come at the expense of my preferred Brand of Superhero. I just wish they didn't have a Monopoly on the entire genre at the expense of everyone else.

At this point. I'm ready to throw in the towel and say maybe Disney buying DC and having a Monopoly on the entire Superhero Genre might not be such a bad thing.

Return to “Film and Video”