Neon Genesis Evangelemon

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Neon Genesis Evangelemon

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Pokemon. Noun: An anime franchise, beloved by millions, set in a world where bizarre, powerful monsters are a fact of life and young children are called upon to battle them by controlling monsters of their own. Overall, a very cute and joyful series.
Evangelion. Noun: An anime franchise, beloved by millions, set in a world where bizarre, powerful monsters are a fact of life and young children are called upon to battle them by controlling monsters of their own. Overall, a soul-crushingly depressing series.
Let's see what happens when we combine the two, shall we?. . .

OK, this is a fusion-fic (NOT a crossover) that I've been planning for the past year or two. The premise is that an anime/film series equivalent to Neon Genesis Evangelion exists in the Pokémon world, and we in the "real" world are reading/watching episodes of it. It's not a strict adaptation, however, since it includes some characters like Mari from Rebuild and Mana from Girlfriend of Steel*. I started working on concepts for it just as X and Y were announced, so there's no 6th generation Pokémon in it.
I plan to cover the whole series, and currently have the first three "episodes" up on my dA account.

*Not to mention a Clint Eastwood Sandslash, a Mr. T Toxicroak, and a Hulk Hogan Primeape.

Here are the "trainer cards" I made for Shinji, Asuka, and Rei:
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Shinji-Ikari-352262468
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Asuka-Langley-Soryu-352464452
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Rei-Ayanami-352747488
And the "poster":
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Cruel-Pokemon-s-Thesis-374827286

Huff. . .puff. . .how's that?
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 pm

How do I move this to the "fan fiction" section?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Moved to fanfiction. Please familiarize yourself with the subforums before posting new threads. Thanks!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks! What do you think of it?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:45 pm

I think it needs a tweak to the title. Shouldn't it be Evangelimon? The show is called Evangelion, not Evangeleon. When I clicked the link to peek inside, I was expecting a topic about Evangelion lemons.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 am

I know. I was trying to get it to show the little accent mark that they have over the letter E in the word Pokemon (it makes more sense if you see it that way) but they don't let you do that in topic titles. You do see it in the actual story, though.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Speaking of the story, here's the first chapter of it. Please R&R!
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Episode-1-395226572

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:39 pm

I've decided I'm going to be posting the episodes themselves here instead of linking to my dA account. I don't know how often they'll go up, since I'm also working on a novel and a fan fiction for another TV show, but I hope to have one for each episode of the show.

Neon Genesis Evangelemon: You Can (Not) Catch 'em All

Episode 1: Welcome to Pallet Town 3

This is a cautionary story. It tells us the danger that might befall a society that, having built its economy around ten-year-old children capturing powerful magical creatures in tiny plastic balls and forcing them to fight, fails to ignore the most basic warnings from the mythology regarding said creatures.
OR this is the story of one Shinji Ikari, quite possibly the most pathetic being in the universe. With no living mother, only an insufferable douche for a father, and virtually nothing in the way of worldly accomplishments, many wonder why Shinji bothers to continue living life as he does. Their questions will be answered soon enough.
OR this is merely the fantasy of a college student who, despite the misfortune of having been born in the setting of neither of the above anime series, is overwhelmed by a fascination with them and is writing this story to give his interest some semblance of a focus. If this is the case, the guy really needs to get a life. Without further ado, the story proper can now begin.

While a case can be made for many of the different cities and towns in Kanto, from the allegedly haunted graveyards of Lavender Town to the active volcanoes of Cinnabar Island, most of these pale in comparison to the marvel of engineering—and desperation—that is Pallet Town 3. Built to replace the original Pallet Town after it was destroyed by an event known as Second Impact, Pallet Town 3’s designers boasted that nothing short of Arceus itself could destroy their work. They were right.
Pallet Town 3 was located a ways inland from the remains of the original Pallet Town. There had been some controversy about naming it after a town that had so recently been destroyed in Second Impact, but since no one could suggest a color-based name that was not already taken by another city or town in Kanto, the name Pallet Town 3 stuck.
Not that any of this mattered to fourteen-year-old Shinji Ikari. For all he cared, it could have been named Dungheap City, and it wouldn’t have been a better or worse place to live. That was because, whatever the town’s name was, if you were a child in it you were expected to be a great Pokemon trainer. And Shinji was most certainly not one.
Right now, though Shinji was sitting under the canopy of a bus stop, waiting for his father. Unlike himself, Shinji’s father had always been said to be an exceptional trainer, which made him feel even more pathetic than usual. Shinji had not seen his father in years, made him worry bout how he would be received if he were to present himself in his current state. Shinji had quite nearly forgotten about his father, had it not been for a mysterious invitation some days ago telling him to wait to be picked up at this very bus stop. Of course, his father would not be doing this himself—he would be sending one of his employees, a woman named Misato Katsuragi, to do it for him.
Unfortunately for Shinji, there was nobody in sight at the moment except for his Cubone, which was the only Pokemon he never kept in a PokeBall. Shinji had gotten Cubone as a birthday present four years from his mother, shortly before her death. When she died, he had sworn upon his mother’s grave that he would honor her by becoming the greatest Pokemon trainer in the world. Four years later, and he had not progressed far toward that goal. In the four years since he had begun his quest as a Pokemon trainer, he had earned only three gym badges—from the Pewter, Cerulean, and Vermillion gyms—and captured only four other Pokemon. Those other Pokemon were a Pidgeotto he’d caught a few days after he got Cubone, a Raticate that had followed him all the way to Cerulean City, a Spearow he’d since traded for a Furret, and a rather lazy, aloof Sandslash.
As Shinji watched, for a second he thought he could see someone—a girl about his age with short blue hair, pale skin, and strange red eyes—watching him from across the street. But when he blinked to establish what he had actually seen, she vanished, if indeed she was ever there in the first place. In any case, he soon had more important things to think about that possibly--imaginary people.
His first hint that something was amiss came when the ground beneath his feet began to tremble. A flock of Pidgey on the telephone wire took off, a Rattata that had been nibbling on a jelly-filled donut ran for cover, and Shinji, raising himself from his seat, could see what was shaking the ground.
It was a colossal, vaguely humanoid creature, towering above the tallest buildings in Pallet Town 3. The creature was black and white in color, and had disproportionately long arms ending in grappling-hook-like claws. It seemed to have no real face, instead possessing an array of nine eyes on where a face would normally be. From these, it periodically issued blasts of light, vaporizing anything in its path.
“Who’s that Pokemon?” Shinji asked, rather stupidly, before attempting to identify it on his Pokedex. Nothing came up on it but static.
“No information on this Pokemon available.”
Well, this is stupid, thought Shinji. What’s the use of a Pokedex if it doesn’t even tell you anything about a Pokemon the first time you see it?
As the strange Pokemon made its way toward Pallet Town 3, it was greeted by a salvo of gunfire and missiles. The resulting explosion nearly knocked Shinji and Cubone off their bench, but when the smoke cleared it was apparent that no damage whatsoever had been done to the Pokemon. It continued advancing in a straight line, periodically vaporizing whatever was in its bath with Hyper Beams.
Circling around the mysterious Pokemon were a group of Kanto Strategic Self-Defense Force helicopters, which attacked it with their own guns and rockets. This, too, had little effect except to anger the huge Pokemon, and it swatted one of the helicopters out of the air with its arm, sending it careening into the side of a building directly above where Shinji was sitting.
Shinji scrambled for cover as the falling debris came crashing down around him. Grabbing Cubone, he ran out into the street, where he was suddenly blocked by a blue sports car pulling up in front of him.
“What are you doing just sitting there? Get in!” shouted the driver, leaning out the window. The driver was a woman about 30 years old with dark purplish-black hair. She wore a uniform of some kind that Shinji did not recognize, but her nametag identified her—she was Misato Katsuragi.
“Are you here to take me to see my father?” asked Shinji.
“No time for that. Get in!” shouted Misato.
The interior of the car smelled strongly of alcohol, and the seats were peeling. An ornament of a Magikarp hung from the roof above the dashboard, and in the back seat there was a large cooler that gave off a peculiar smell. Climbing into the passenger seat of the car, Shinji asked Misato, “Did my father send you?”
“Sort of. Everything is going to be made clear to you soon. But we’ve got to get out of here.”
“Why?” asked Shinji, although he already knew perfectly well. “And what was that thing?” He gestured up at the gigantic Pokemon, which had now torn the top off a nearby skyscraper and was using it to swat at the circling aircraft.
As Misato shoved her foot down on the gas pedal and the car accelerated away, she sighed and began to explain. “Have you ever heard people talk about Legendary Pokemon?”
“You mean like Mew? And the Legendary Birds?” asked Shinji.
“Yes. This one is called Regigigas. It is said to be the Pokemon that pulled the continents into their modern positions millions of years ago. As for why it would awaken now, I have no idea.”
“Well,” asked Shinji, quite unimpressed with this crash-course lesson in Pokemon mythology, “can you at least tell me where you’re taking me?”
“I will in a little—OH SHIT GET DOWN!” Misato suddenly shouted, slamming on the brakes.
“What?” asked Shinji, who was now extremely confused.
“They’re going to use an N2 mine!”
Before Shinji could ask what an N2 mine was or what one did, the sky turned bright white for a brief instant, followed by a deafening clap. The shockwave from the explosion sent the car and its two occupants tumbling off the road and into a drainage ditch, and when the smoke cleared it was apparent that, although the blast had devastated the already-badly–damaged infrastructure of Pallet Town 3, it had left not a scratch on Regigigas. The huge Pokemon continued inwards toward the center of Pallet Town 3, as if it were looking for something.
Meanwhile, at the KSSDF command center, the failure of the N2 mine was not going over very well. An emergency meeting had been called, the nature of which was being kept secret. The man presiding over the meeting was a severe-looking businesslike individual, with an air of authority about him. His uniform was adorned with countess badges and other decorations, signifying his rank as a general. But he would not be in command here for much longer.
When the KSSDF general turned on the giant screen in the conference hall, the face of another man filled it. This man had dark hair and a beard, wore opaque sunglasses, and sat at a desk with his fingers steepled under his chin. Alongside him sat a brown-furred, vaguely humanoid Pokemon with long whiskers and a metal spoon in each hand—an Alakazam. His name was Gendo Ikari.
“Hello,” he said, tilting his said so that the light in the room reflected brightly off his glasses. “What have you come to tell me?”
“Well,” said the JSSDF general, “Our use of an N2 weapon—the most powerful in our arsenal—against the threat attacking Pallet Town 3 has yielded no result. Any further attempt would simply damage the city further. We have no choice, Dr. Ikari, but to relinquish responsibility for protection of Pallet town 3, and possibly all of Kanto, to you and NERV.”
“Very well,” said Gendo. For a moment, the conference screen lit up, then Gendo vanished, having Teleported away with his Alakazam.
Dazed, Shinji and Misato crawled out of the overturned car. “Do you think we can get it out of here?” asked Shinji. He doubted it; the car was wedged in the drainage ditch next to the road, and he certainly felt like he would not be able to pull it out by himself.
“No,” she answered, “but I think I know someone who can.” With that she pulled a Poke Ball out of one of her pockets and pressed the button on it. The Pokemon that came out was another one Shinji was unfamiliar with. It stood on two legs, had thick, leathery skin, and on its belly it had a pouch. Inside the pouch was a smaller version of itself, which Shinji thought looked oddly like a Cubone. He looked it up on his Pokedex.
“Kangaskahn: the Parent Pokemon,” it said. “It carries its baby in its pouch, and is fiercely protective of it.”
Now knowing what Misato intended for him to do, Shinji reached into his pocket and pulled out one of his own Poke Balls. Not Cubone, of course; Cubone almost never got into a Poke Ball. The Pokemon he called out was his Sandslash. Sandslash, unfortunately, fell asleep as soon as it left its Poke Ball. It lay on its back on the ground, the blade of grass it always kept in its mouth fluttering as it snored. Shinji sighed. Sandslash was always like this.
“Sandslash, return!” he shouted, holding the Poke Ball up again. “He pressed the button, and Sandslash went back inside. Well, I’m out of ideas.” By then, Misato and Kangaskahn were already working on pulling the car free. When it finally rolled out of the ditch, Misato recalled Kangaskahn and invited Shinji back into the now badly dented car.
As they drove, Shinji noticed an unmistakable sight in the distance: a huge metal and glass pyramid towering over the rest of Pallet Town 3. And he and Misato were heading straight for it.
The car ducked into a tunnel, and when Shinji and Cubone adjusted to the dim light beneath the surface he could not believe what he saw. An entire underground city, with skyscrapers reaching downwards and huge lamps on the ceiling in place of the sun, stretched out before him. “Wow!” gasped Shinji, hardly believing his eyes. “Real Geofront!” Truth be told, he had not known what a Geofront was until a few minutes beforehand, and it was not as if he had ever thought there were no real Geofronts.
The car parked in front of a massive concrete bunker which, unlike the skyscrapers of the Geofront, was built from the ground up. Shinji expected this to be the place where he met his father, but when Misato led him inside, they boarded a small hovering train.
When the train came to a stop, Shinji and Misato were greeted by a second woman, who seemed to be slightly older than Misato. She had short blonde hair, wore a lab coat, and was accompanied by a pink cat-like Pokemon. “Espeon, the Sun Pokemon,” Shinji’s Pokedex informed him as he scanned it. “It uses the fine hairs on its body to predict the future and detect air currents.”
“It’s about time you arrived, Misato,” said the new woman “And I see you brought the Third Child?”
“Yep! In the nick of time too—I got him just as Regigigas was attacking inner Pallet Town 3.”
The woman then turned to Shinji and handed him a stack of forms that he assumed he was supposed to fill out. At the top, in large friendly letters, was written, “Hello there! Welcome to the world of NERV! My name is Dr. Ritsuko Akagi, but people just call me a Pokemon Professor.” This was followed by a number of questions, starting with “Now tell me, are you a boy or a girl?” Shinji began to wonder whether Dr. Akagi really needed him to write this down, but he decided he needed to anyway.
Once Shinji had filled out the paperwork, Misato and Dr. Akagi escorted him through another door, this one emblazoned with the NERV logo—the word NERV and half a fig leaf, surrounded by the motto “to protect the world from devastation, to unite all people within our nation.” Shinji was about to ask what this meant, but what he saw on the other side gave him many more important questions.
The entire room, as large as a Pokemon League arena, was taken up by a giant tank of foul-smelling orange liquid. This liquid was supplied by a network of pipes and funnels descending from the ceiling, which pumped the orange fluid into the giant tank.
Inside the tank sat something the likes of which Shinji had never seen before. Attached to the wall of the room by umbilical cables, it resembled nothing so much as a huge metallic robot. Its head was disc-shaped, and on its back was a menacing-looking laser turret. Its eyes glowed bright red, and its entire body was covered in sleek purple armor. Yet despite all the incredible power Shinji was sure it must have possessed, it remained absolutely still in the tank of orange liquid.
Shinji was astounded. He was unable to even ask what the thing in the tank was, while Cubone only managed a meek “. . .Bone?”(I’m not sure what that is.) Luckily, Dr. Akagi answered his question for him.
“This is the artificial Pokemon, Genesect. Unit 01 of the Evangelemon program. Its creation carried out in total secrecy, it is our—humanity’s—last great hope.”
In a control room overlooking the giant tank, Gendo Ikari watched with interest. His assistant, Dr. Fuyutsuki, sat at a desk next to him.
“Well, it seems Misato was telling the truth. Shinji has arrived. Well, I, for one, never doubted it.” said Gendo, steepling his fingers once again.
“Maybe so,” replied Fuyutsuki. “But do think it is really wise—using the boy when he has not yet even proven himself as a Pokemon trainer—in such a precarious job?”
“It . . . it seemed like a good idea at the time” said Gendo.
“Fair enough. And by the way, is there a reason you do that thing with your hands? I’ve always wondered that.”
“What thing with my hands?” replied Gendo, removing his hands frm their steepled position beneath his chin and getting up out of his chair.
He then left the room, and headed down to meet face to face with Shinji.
“It has been a long time since I saw you last,” said Gendo. “Do tell me, what have you accomplished as a trainer in my absence?”
Shinji gulped. “I’ve gotten the first three Kanto badges. And I’ve caught four Pokemon other than Cubone.” He pulled out his other Poke Balls, and let out hi remaining Pokemon for his father to see.
Gendo frowned. “I would have expected more out of you. Four years, and this is all you have to present me? I would figure you would at least be facing the Elite Four by now, and have a full Pokedex.”
“I . . . I’ll catch more! I swear!” stammered Shinji.
“No.” Gendo replied. “You can only have five Pokemon of your own here at a time. Genesect will be your sixth. If, that is, you seem up to the task of being its trainer.” With that, Gendo pulled out a Poke Ball of his own. “Gengar! I need your assistance!”
As the purple, goblin-like Pokemon materialized in front of Gendo, he explained, “If you can defeat me in battle, then you can have Genesect. “
“OK,” said Shinji, “But can I call it ‘Dennis’?”
“No,” replied Gendo. “Now, Gengar—Shadow Ball!”
At that moment, Shinji realized he had not yet picked out a Pokemon to battle with. Let’s see, he thought Nothing’s good against ghost types, but a ghost-type move won’t hurt a Normal-type either. “All right. I choose you—Raticate!”
The rat-like Pokemon dodged Gengar’s incoming Shadow Ball, then reared up onto its hind legs awaiting Shinji’s command. Gengar, meanwhile, floated next to Gendo, likewise waiting for an order.
“Raticate, use Hyper Fang!” Raticate rushed toward Gengar, its sharp teeth glistening as it prepared to attack. “Rati-caaate,” (All right, Mr. Smiley Face, let me show you how it’s done,) it hissed. Gengar, however, didn’t move as Raticate approached it. Instead it faded into thin air, and let Raticate pass directly through itself. The attack had no effect.
“Raticate, return!” said Shinji, recalling it into its Poke Ball. “Go, Cubone!”
Even though it wore its skull mask, Cubone looked somewhat apprehensive about facing Gengar. “Bone?” (You. . .you don’t really want me to battle him, do you?) it whined, staring up at Shinji.
“It’s OK, Cubone,” he said. “Why don’t you start with . . . let’s see . . . Bone Rush?”
“Cu-bone!” (I guess that’ll work) replied Cubone. It raised its bone club over its head, and charged at Gengar. But Gengar was ready. It fired up another Shadow Ball and sent Cubone hurtling backwards across the room, knocking it out instantly.
Gendo recalled Gengar. “Shinji, I expected better from you,” he said sternly. “You do not seem to possess the skills that I expected from someone who has been a Pokemon trainer for four years. I’m afraid I cannot trust you to control Genesect.” He then called to Dr. Akagi, “It looks like we’re going to need Rei after all.”
Dr. Akagi left the room and returned a few minutes later. She was pushing a hospital gurney, and on it lay the very same girl Shinji had seen at the bus stop. Well, if you wanted to be specific, she didn’t look exactly the same—she was heavily bandaged up and had all manner of plastic tubes poking into her mouth. But it was unmistakably the same girl. She had the same blue hair, the same pale skin, and the same red eyes.
“Shinji,” said Gendo, “This is Rei Ayanami. She is the only currently qualified trainer in the Kanto Evangelemon program. I would have hoped for you to become the second, but it seems I will have to settle for her for the time being. Now, go find Misato; she will be waiting to. . .”
Gendo did not get to finish his sentence. The entire room shook as something massive came crashing down on top of the Geofront. Regigigas, thought Shinji. Lights swung in their fixtures, the orange liquid in the tank sloshed in waves, and a heavy steel girder broke loose from the ceiling and plummeted directly toward Shinji. He tried to scramble out of the way, but he was too slow. He closed his eyes and waited for the girder to fall on him. It never did.
When he opened his eyes, Shinji saw what has happened. Genesect—the huge, purple, robotic Pokemon—had broken free of its restraints and used one of its massive claws to swat the falling girder aside. It had saved his life. Shinji stared in awe at the gigantic Pokemon, which looked more mechanical than organic, as it settled back into the tank of orange liquid.
As he did, he noticed that Rei had not been so lucky. Regigigas’s attack had knocked over the gurney she was in, and she now lay sprawled on the floor, her bandages unraveling. Shinji ran over to her. Rei did not seem to be in any pain, or, if she was, she certainly wasn’t showing it. She simply lay on the floor, limp and weak, and certainly not looking in and condition to take Genesect into battle.
Gendo seemingly agreed with this assessment. Whether it was because of Genesect’s unexpected behavior around him or his desire to help Rei, Shinji wasn’t sure, but he could tell from Gendo’s uncharacteristic smile that his normally-miserable life might have taken a turn for the better.
“Shinji,” Gendo said at last, “I must confess I misjudged you. Genesect is yours.”
“So, you still haven’t told me one thing. What exactly do I do with a Genesect?” asked Shinji. “Do I eat it, or sit on it, or what?”
“Do you see that object on the back of Genesect’s head?” asked Gendo. “The one that looks like a cassette deck? That is called an entry plug. You climb inside that, and your mind becomes linked to that of the Pokemon, allowing you to control it.”
“I’m not sure I understand,” said Shinji.
“Shinji, get in the fucking Pokemon,” said Gendo, clearly exasperated.

WHO’S THAT POKEMON?
This Pokemon wears the skull of its deceased mother, and nobody has ever seen its real face.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:48 am

You forgot to put whitespace between your paragraphs. Better fix that. There's no indentations on EGF.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:21 am

Sorry. I'll work on it. But how did you like the story (it's not meant to be entirely serious, by the way)?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:46 pm

It's actually fairly readable. Generally I can't stand crossover fanfiction, but at least I could read through this without dry-heaving into the trashcan beside me. It's definitely a cut above some of the other fanfictions I've read it and the grammar and punctuation seem to be consistent throughout. The incorporation of Pokémon seems to be fairly OK and not too forced, except for the weird Vulcan mind-meld cassette tape device thing:

ElSquibbonator wrote:“Shinji, get in the fucking Pokemon,” said Gendo, clearly exasperated.

:lol:

Not sure if that was meant to be funny, but it made me crack up a bit.

Btw, those trainer cards don't really look like cards but rather just full scale illustrations of the cards and their Pokémon (Evangelimons?).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:20 pm

I know. I wanted to make "trainer cards" originally, but I wasn't sure how to make custom sprites that looked enough like the characters, so I decided to just draw them myself. Also, I prefer to think of this as more of a "fusion" than a crossover; there is, for instance, no traveling between the universes of the two series, here. Basically, it's what Neon Genesis Evangelion would have been like if it had been made in the Pokémon world instead of our world.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:34 am

Are the original Angel battles going to play out the same way, except with Pokémon?

SPOILER: Show

[s]ARAEL[/s] ABRAEL used PSYBEAM!
Asuka became horribly traumatised!
Asuka hit everything except ABRAEL in her confusion.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Kinda. Some will follow them more closely than others. But because this story involves some characters who weren't in the original series (namely Mari and Mana) it's not a 100% accurate retelling. And there's going to be a surprise at the end.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 pm

To speed things along, here's chapter 2:

Neon Genesis Evangelemon: You Can (not) Catch ‘Em All

Episode 2: Shinji pops a NERV

Shinji gulped and sputtered as he found himself submerged in the smelly orange liquid that filled the entry plug. He fought the urge to vomit, but that did little good, because at the time his own major intestine seemed to be considering evacuating it contents through his mouth. Once he had gotten over the unpleasantness of it all, he realized that he could actually breathe, despite being immersed in the liquid.
The interior of the entry plug was cramped, and lined with strange-looking controls that must have been attached to the mechanical armor Genesect wore. But before Shinji could try any of them out, a headset with goggles slipped over his face, and his view suddenly changed to a dark vertical tunnel.
Where am I? Shinji asked himself. He lifted one arm, then the other, and each time he did, Genesects metallic purple claws moved in front of him. He was seeing through Genesect’s eyes.
“Prepare Unit 01 for launch!” the voice of Dr. Akagi shouted over a loudspeaker.
Another voice—his father’s—replied, “Launch preparations are complete. Genesect is ready for deployment.”
I most certainly am not ready for deployment, thought Shinji. But, I suppose, if this is what I was brought here to do, then so be it. I mustn’t run away.
As Shinji gradually accustomed himself to maneuvering the giant cyborg Pokemon he suddenly felt himself shot upward through the tunnel at blinding speed, landing in the middle of the streets of Pallet Town 3.
It was here that he had his next shock. When he had first laid eyes on Genesect, he had no idea how much of it lay below the surface of the orange liquid. As he could now tell, it was quite tall indeed. It stood about three times as tall as the largest building in Pallet Town 3, though this was not as impressive as it sounded given that most buildings there were only a few stories in height. Nevertheless, it was larger than any Pokemon he had ever heard of, and he wondered whether its size was due to NERV’s experimentation rather than a natural feature of it.
Regigigas, meanwhile, was doing the same thing it had been doing the entire time; that is, making its way in a straight line toward the center of the city and generally causing a great deal of destruction and chaos. The KSSDF was still attempting to fight it, this time with Pokemon of their own, but still having little effect.
OK, let’s at least see what attacks this thing has, thought Shinji, maneuvering Genesect so it stood straight across from Regigigas. He wasn’t sure exactly how Pokemon knew what was an attack they could use and what wasn’t, and why they were only able to know four at a time. It was just one of those arbitrary things you had to take for granted as a Pokemon trainer.
Normally, when he caught a Pokemon, he could use his Pokedex to check what attacks it knew. Here, however, he had no such option—he had to control Genesect himself and find out how to use whatever techniques it had. As he thought about this, a display of options flashed in front of him in his field of view.
Hyper Beam. X-Scissor. Bug Buzz. Techno Blast. “I think I might as well go with Hyper Beam,” Shinji said to himself. As he said this, he felt himself—and Genesect—involuntarily crouch down. This was followed by an aching pain in he back of his neck, as if he had pulled a muscle there. He reached his hand backwards to feel it, forgetting that doing so also caused Genesect’s hand to move, but felt nothing wrong.
Suddenly, there was a blinding flash of white light—nearly as bright as the N2 mine Shinji has seen the KSSDF using—followed by a tremendous explosion in the distance. Shinji felt himself stand back up, and the pain in the back of his neck ceased. That was when it hit him. He had been feeling Genesect’s stress.
As the smoke from the Hyper Beam attack cleared, it revealed Regigigas collapsed on its back amid the remains of several buildings. Cautiously, Shinji and Genesect stepped towards it. Regigigas did not move, and the eyes on its “face” no longer glowed. Feeling that the Legendary Pokemon was probably now knocked out, Shinji reached one of Genesect’s arms to touch it.
When he did, Regigigas’s eyes suddenly lit up. The Colossal Pokemon slowly raised itself to its feet, then, suddenly, lunged forward in a manner that seemed to defy all the laws of physics. Why Shinji was questioning this only now, despite having grown up in a world where even the average insect was over a foot long and fire-breathing reptiles were considered common household pets, was not something he preferred to dwell on.
Regigigas clamped its arms around Genesect’s body, and Shinji felt a harsh, squeezing pain in his own body. The first thing he saw as he glanced up was Regigigas’s eyes glowing. The last thing he saw, before he blacked out, was three beams of light—red, blue, and green—shooting towards Genesect’s head.
When Shinji awoke, he was no longer inside the Entry plug. He was lying on a hospital bed, his arms and legs held in restraints and an ice pack on his head.
Taking in the room around himself, Shinji finally called out, “Hello?”
“You sustained serious injuries in your battle. You need to rest.”
Shinji turned to see who was talking. It was Dr. Akagi. This time she had a different Pokemon alongside her—a Chansey, which wore a nurse’s hat on its head. The pink Pokemon held a glass cup of strange green liquid in one had, which Shinji sincerely hoped was not medicine he was going to have to take. His hoping did not last long, unfortunately, because Chansey pushed the cup up to his lips, forcing him to swallow the liquid in one gulp. Shinji nearly gagged, but then lay back down.
As he did, he noticed that the hospital bed next to him was also occupied. Rei, whom Shinji had not seen since before his encounter with Genesect, was lying in it, still heavily bandaged up. Shinji turned to speak to her, but her deadpan expression told him that it would be useless. At least they’re actually bothering to give her medical attention, he thought.
“Bone?”(I’m sorry about that), whimpered Cubone, who had been sitting on the foot of Shinji’s bed. “Cu-cu-bone,” (I wish I could have helped you out there). It crawled up next to Shinji and let him scratch it on its skull mask, which he knew it enjoyed.
“Look, Cubone,” said Shinji, not entirely sure the Ground-type Pokemon could understand him. “You’re lucky. You don’t have the fate of the world resting in your hands. That doesn’t matter to you. I’d give anything for that.”
Meanwhile, Gendo Ikari was having anxieties of his own. He had been contacted by another organization, one even more secretive than NERV. SEELE, as they called themselves, did not like to show their faces in public, but it was they who really pulled the strings behind NERV- and, indeed, behind the governments of every nation in the world.
Gendo had been invited to a video conference with the SEELE representatives in charge of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova. When he arrived, the first thing he noticed was that the representatives were not shown in person. Instead, each was represented by a tall, monolithic tablet. Above each tablet floated a number of flat black objects that were shaped almost like letters.
Unown, Gendo thought. The language of the Pokemon Instrumentality Project.
One of the monoliths—the one that stood for Hoenn—began to glow, and the Unown floating above it jostled about to form the words “SEELE 01”. Then, a voice began to emanate from the monolith.
“We have been expecting you here, Gendo Ikari,” it said. Gendo nodded in apprehension. While he did have his own personal goals for the Evangelemon program, for now it would pay to follow through with those of SEELE—and he sincerely hoped they were not disappointed.
The Hoenn representative went on, “As you no doubt know, this is the first time in the fifteen years following Second Impact that a so-called Legendary Pokemon has shown itself. That much is foretold by the writings found in the Ruins of Alph. However, we urgently advise you not to let this cause your work for NERV to fall behind schedule. Do you understand?”
Gendo nodded again.
“I see,” said the SEELE representative. “Then in that case we shall see what NERV can continue to do for us.
“But,” inquired the SEELE member from Johto, “Do you not think it is rather unnecessary to force these. . .these children to control such powerful creatures? Surely there are more favorable ways of bringing about Instrumentality?”
Somewhat annoyed, Gendo scowled at the monoliths. “It seemed like a good idea at the time,” he said at last.
Shinji, meanwhile, had recovered fully and been brought to what was to become his new residence during his tenure at NERV—Misato’s apartment. Misato lived by herself in an old apartment building on the outskirts of Pallet Town 3. When Shinji opened the door to it, the first thing he noticed was the overpowering stench of stale alcohol. Something told him that there had been a mistake.
The second thing he noticed was that Misato was nowhere to be seen. Instead, he was greeted at the door by a Pokemon he had never seen before. Someone with an entirely different upbringing than himself might have said that it resembled a penguin, but of course Shinji had no way of knowing what that was. Instead, he found himself struggling to mentally describe a beaked, feathered creature as tall as himself that looked as if it were wearing a light green tuxedo and a gold crown.
“Oh, hello!” Shinji spun around to see who was talking
“Whaa—oh, hey, Misato.”
“I see you have already met Pen-pen. He’s my Empoleon. Got him in Sinnoh back when he was a Piplup.” She petted the birdlike Pokemon on the head, to which it gave a “Wark” of approval, before following Shinji into the apartment.
Shinji scanned Empoleon on his Pokedex (“Empoleon-the Emperor Pokemon”) and noticed that the one in his picture was dark blue, not light green. He inquired about this. “Glad you noticed,” said Misato. “Pen-pen’s a Shiny Empoleon—he’s a different color from a normal one. But anyway, come on in!”
The apartment was a mess. The bed was disheveled, and the floor was littered with napkins, drink cans, and other unnamable things. “Do you ever. . .clean this place?” Misato stared at him.
At the same time, Gendo and Dr. Akagi had much more serious matters to discuss. Gendo had brought Dr. Akagi to a secret bunker far beneath NERV headquarters, where he intended to show her something just as revolutionary as Genesect.
The room was dimly lit, and, like the room where Genesect had been kept, it was taken up by a large tank. This one, however, was filled with a solid red transparent substance, almost like ice. Inside the frozen prison, Dr Akagi could see another Pokemon in suspended animation inside.
Unlike Genesect, this Pokemon was unarmored and vaguely humanoid except for its thick whip-like tail and its two pointed ears. Also, like Genesect, it was enormous, filling up most of the tank. Somehow, Dr. Akagi was sure she had seen a Pokemon like this somewhere, and her belief was vindicated when Gendo spoke.
“What you see here, is the original prototype of the Evangelemon program. It was cloned directly from the remains found at Second Impact. Right now, we are calling it Unit 0, but it has come to be known as simply. . .Mewtwo.”
Dr. Akagi looked confused. “I knew it looked familiar. But. . .Mewtwo. I have heard that name before, and I must say that this is not identical to the one in the Pokedex by any means. Has it been modified the same way that Genesect has?”
Gendo nodded. “Correct. This is not the Mewtwo that you probably know, Ritsuko. It has undergone a great deal of modification—just as no ordinary human can withstand the psychological rigors of being an Evangelemon trainer, no naturally occurring Pokemon can hope to hold their own against the wrath of a Legendary Pokemon. So we had to create our own.”
“There were countless attempts—the results were never pleasant—but eventually NERV perfected the Evangelemon program that has become the spearhead of its battle against the Legendary Pokemon. Mewtwo was the first. It was constructed from the DNA of Mew, the ancestor of all Pokemon.”
Dr. Akagi scowled slightly. “I suspect there’s something you’re not telling me,” she said.
“No,” replied Gendo, “everything is going according to plan. Rei has been assigned as Mewtwo’s trainer. No matter what happens, the children must continue to perform their functions at NERV.”
Shinji was in his bed, listening to music on his cassette player. Why he had a cassette player, in a world where instant matter-to-energy transfusion was possible and living creatures could be traded over computers, he also had no idea. As he listened, he fell asleep and reflected on the events of the previous day.
He was unconscious. Unable to control Genesect, he fell backwards in the Entry Plug as Regigigas’s attack struck Genesect in the head. Genesect stumbled back a few steps (very large steps, of course) but then it steadied itself and focused the cannon on Regigigas and prepared to fire again. This time, Genesect used a Techno Blast attack, which struck Regigigas in one of its legs. For a moment, Regigigas stood still, its body crackling with electricity, but then it shook off the effects of the attack as though they were nothing!
Regigigas stood its ground, then, without warning, stamped both its feet on the ground. The result was a shockwave that shook all of Pallet Town 3, and Genesect dropped to its knees to avoid being knocked off its feet.
As Genesect raised itself to its feet, it fired off a second Techno Blast, hoping—if the gigantic cyborg Pokemon felt such emotions—to achieve a better result this time. At first the hope seemed justified—the Techno Blast struck Regigigas directly on its “face”—but there was no reaction.
Inside NERV HQ, Misato and the computer technicans had been watching Shinji’s battle with interest. “Genesect and Shinji are no longer in sync! I repeat, Genesect and Shinji are no longer in sync!” Misato shouted.
“Is there any way for the entry plug to eject?” the nearest computer technician, whose name was Maya Ibuki, had asked.
“Does it LOOK like there is?” said Misato.
“No,” said Maya, “but—Did you see that? REGIGIGAS JUST USED AN AP BARRIER!”
She pointed at the viewing screen, which currently was displaying Genesect’s latest (failed) attempt to attack Regigigas. The Techno Blast had simply bounced off a force field with which the Legendary Pokemon had surrounded itself.
If Genesect was being slowed down, it was certainly not showing any signs of it. It brandished the blades on its arms, which began to glow purple, and charged straight at Regigigas. Regigigas stood still, riveted to the spot, as Genesect rushed toward it (and in doing so demolished several convenience stores, a fire station, and a PokeMart).
Genesect ran in a straight line toward Regigigas, its arms held up in front of it in preparation for an X-scissor attack. It didn’t seem to matter what was in its way, buildings or cars or telephone poles, and it certainly didn’t seem to take into account the AP field. Regigigas still did nothing. It did not need to—the moment Genesect’s attack came into contact with AP field, its arm shattered upon colliding with it. Now short one arm and dripping orange liquid, Genesect staggered backwards and dropped to one knee.
Underneath its purple metal armor, the Pokemon’s actual fleshy body—and its internal organs—could be seen. A casual observer earlier might have believed Genesect to be a robot or some other sort of machine, but there was no mistaking now that it was actually a living creature.
Genesect did not even seem to notice the loss of its arm. Indeed, as it got to its feet to face Regigigas again, its arm had already partiallly regenerated, and while it no longer had its armor, it was once again functional. Once its arm had fully regenerated, Genesect took two enormous steps backward, and lowered its head. The cannon on the back of its neck began to glow, but instead of projecting a Hyper Beam or a Techno Blast, an AP field—just like the one Regigigas had—formed in front of Genesect.
The two AP fields collided, cancelling each other out in a flash of light almost as bright as Genesect’s Techno Blast. When the light faded, Regigigas was still standing, but it no longer had its AP field to protect it. Now it was time for Genesect to perform its finishing move. Just as it had before, it brandished its arms in front of itself and charged headlong at Regigigas for an X-scissor attack.
Watching from NERV headquarters, Misato and the technicians were speechless at what followed. The monitor turned a brilliant white for a split second, which faded to reveal a glowing symbol etched in the sky over where Regigigas had fallen. It consisted of two circles, one within the other, connected by four spokes—the sign of Arceus.
None of that could compare, however, to the sight of Genesect walking triumphantly away from the site of the battle, badly damaged but nevertheless clearly the winner. “Regigigas is unable to battle!” declared Misato, holding up a can of beer in celebration. “Genescet wins!”
As Shinji finally regained consciousness, he found himself still in the entry plug, but now in the storage bunker where he had first met Genesect. As he was escorted out of the room, he turned around, and he could swear he noticed the Pokemon’s demonic-looking red eye staring at him. He screamed.

Shinji woke up in a cold sweat. He had just beaten Regigigas, sure, but . . .was this what he was really doing when he did that? He had apparently screamed for real, since he had woken up Cubone and Pen-pen, both of whom were comlaining loudly. This, in turn, attracted Misato, who was wearing her Psyduck-print pajamas.
“Bad dream?” she asked, half-teasingly. “By the way, thanks for saving Pallet Town 3. I knew you could do it. Don’t forget to try to be the very best!”
“Yeah right,” grumbled Shinji to himself. “The very best like no one ever was.”

WHO’S THAT POKEMON?
This Pokemon lived 300 million years ago. Its signature attack varies in type based on the Drive inserted into the cannon on it’s back.

Last episode: It’s . . .Cubone!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Here's Episode 3. They won't be coming as quickly after this (these three were already written when I got here, and I need time to write them), so be patient in the future, OK?
Neon Genesis Evangelémon: You Can (Not) Catch ‘Em All

Episode 3: Good Ol’-Fashioned Fisticuffs

It had been three weeks since Shinji’s harrowing battle with Regigigas, and he would have liked to have some time to enjoy himself. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, he had nothing of the sort. Instead, he was to be going to school, along with the other children of Pallet Town 3. This, of course, was something he was unfamiliar with, having been accustomed to the tradition of becoming a Pokémon trainer at the age of 10.
He had been living in Misato’s apartment during this time, and while he had gotten used to it, there were still aspects he felt that others would find bizarre. Like today’s conversation at breakfast, for example.
“Oh yeah! My morning BEGINS with this!” Misato shouted, slamming down a can of something on the table. As Shinji sat down to eat his own breakfast, he made the unfortunate mistake of asking Misato what it was. She was only too happy to answer. “Shuckle juice,” she explained. “Powerful stuff! I get it right from the source, you know. Do you want some?”
Shinji looked disgusted. “That’s . . .OK.” he said. “I’d rather not drink something that came out of a Pokémon’s—“
“As you wish,” said Misato. “By the way, how’s school been treating you?”
“Terrible. You wouldn’t believe the riffraff. There’s this one guy—his name’s Kensuke—who does nothing but spy on people with his Magnemite. He’s creepy. The class rep is nice enough, but I don’t think she’s gotten to know me. And Rei is, well . . .Rei.”
“Well,” said Misato, “I hope today goes better.”
Shinji didn’t answer. He and Cubone were had already walked out the door.
It was technically autumn, but ever since Second Impact the world’s weather had stagnated in a summer-like state. The Pidgey singing and the Butterfree flitting about overhead certainly added to that impression.
It had been Gendo’s decision that Shinji start attending school now. Since he had to be constantly close to NERV headquarters in case of another attack, he could no longer be a traveling Pokémon trainer and needed something else with which to fill his spare time.
Unfortunately, seemingly the only subjects they taught in Shinji’s school involved Second Impact and matters relating to it. The story was the same as he had heard from Misato: 14 years ago, a giant meteorite had crashed into the South Pole, killing half of the people in the world, to say nothing of the Pokémon casualties. The original Pallet Town, the traditional starting point for Kanto Pokémon trainers, had been destroyed in the blast. The sudden appearance of Regigigas in Pallet Town 3 was, they assured him, coincidental. Shinji had never really questioned these explanations, mainly because he felt that if the people at NERV were hiding something from the general public, they would have told him already.
As Shinji and Cubone walked up to the gate to the school grounds, Shinji became aware of someone standing behind him. He turned around. It was a boy his own age, riding a Dodrio. Shinji recognized the boy; it was Toji Suzuhara, one of his classmates. Shinji hadn’t spoken to Toji much, but knew he was on the track team.
“Umm, hi?” said Shinji, rather uncertainly.
“Bone? (Hello?)” squeaked Cubone.
“Fancy seeing you here, Shinji. Still trying to train that Cubone, I see. Take it from me—it’s a lost cause. A real Pokémon trainer would find something stronger already, and not spent so much effort on such a waste of space.”
Cubone stared up at Shinji (as much as it could be said to stare, since its skull helmet blocked its eyes) and uttered a sad “Cu. . .cubone? Cubone? (You don’t think I’m a waste of space, do you?)”
Toji dismounted from Dodrio’s back, hitching the three-headed bird Pokémon to a fence post. “So,” he said, “why weren’t you in the bunkers when Regigigas was trashing Pallet Town 3? You could have been killed!”
Shinji answered as honestly as thought he could. “I. . .I was trying to protect you from it, OK?”
Toji’s jaw dropped. “Wait. YOU were the trainer of that big purple watchamacallit that battled Regigigas? But that means. . .”
“It’s name is Genesect,” corrected Shinji, “but do go on.”
“THAT MEANS YOU’RE RESPONSIBLE FOR MY SISTER GETTING CRIPPLED, DAMN YOU!” Toji suddenly erupted in a fury the likes of which Shinji had never seen from him before. It caused him to stagger back a few steps until Toji had calmed down.
“It wasn’t my fault! At least. . .at least I didn’t meant to do it.” stammered Shinji. “So, how is she now?”
“She’s in the hospital. The doctor says she’ll recover. But as for you, I’m not going to feel better until we’ve settled this the old-fashioned way!” Toji reached down to his belt and unclipped a Pokéball. “Go, Hitmonlee!” he shouted, pressing the button.
The Fighting-type Pokémon stood next to Toji, and kicked at the ground anxiously, awaiting an order to attack.
“All right, Hitmonlee! You know the drill; Hi Jump Kick!”
Shinji snapped back to his senses at the last moment, realizing he had not yet picked out a Pokémon of his own. Toji had already ordered Hitmonlee to attack; sending out one of his Pokémon that he had in Pokéballs would take too long. He had only one option. “Go, Cubone! But get out of its way!”
Cubone leaped aside as Hitmonlee crashed into the spot where it had been standing, seemingly knocking itself out. Shinji was about to congratulate Cubone, when he realized Hitmonlee had already pushed itself to its feet and was preparing another attack. This time, Shinji was ready.
“Quick, Cubone! Dig!” Cubone tunneled its way under the ground, leaving Hitmonlee momentarily confused. As Hitmonlee looked around to get its bearing back, Cubone burst out of the ground, striking Hitmonlee between the legs with its bone club. Hitmonlee stumbled backwards, but then righted itself, as Cubone retreated back to the opposite site of the parking lot.
“Cu-Bone! (Wow, I’m actually doing this!)” Cubone squealed with satisfaction at what it had done. Toji and Hitmonlee, though, had different ideas.
“Mega Kick!” ordered Toji.
“Bone Rush!” shouted Shinji.
The two Pokémon rushed headlong at one another. As Hitmonlee sprinted toward its opponent, its telescoping legs enabling it to take enormous strides, Cubone brandished its bone like a mace, ready to attack when the opportunity arose. Unfortunately, it never did. One of Hitmonlee’s feet, propelled by its coiled, spring-like legs, slammed into Cubone, sending it flying across the school parking lot and knocking it out instantly.
“Smell ya later!” taunted Toji, recalling Hitmonlee walking into the building.
Shinji rushed to Cubone’s side. It looked as if Hitmonlee’s attack had done some major damage. Scooping up the unconscious Pokémon in his arms, he headed to class, sincerely hoping that he would not be in trouble for this.
His hope, unfortunately, was short-lived. When he sat down at his desk, he was swiftly reprimanded by Hikari Horaki, the class representative. Next to her stood her Ninetales, a fox-like Fire Pokémon that helped her keep order around the school.
“Haven’t you read the rules? “ she asked “No Pokémon outside of Pokéballs in the classroom.”
Shinji wasn’t exactly sure how to reply. Did he want to tell her that technically, Cubone didn’t have a Pokéball, and he was tired of leaving it back at NERV? What he finally did say, he soon wished he had not.
“Well . . . then how come you’re allowed to have Ninetales out? How is that any different?”
“Shinji,” said Hikari, “as a class representative I have certain privileges that I can use to keep school protocol functioning. Don’t worry, you’ll see Cubone again after class.”
Dejectedly, Shinji sat back down at his desk as class began. The day’s lesson was much like any other—the history of the world after Second Impact, the war between Johto and Unova that had followed, and the strange ways Pokémon had been behaving in the past fourteen years.
Shinji diligently scribbled down what the teacher was saying, desperately fighting the desire to cave in and fall asleep on his desk. His teacher’s voice, he imagined, must have the same effects as the song of a Jigglypuff; there was no other way it could be so boring.
He was jolted out of his torpor by a vibrating sensation in his pocket—his PokeGear. Pulling it out, he was startled to see Dr. Akagi’s face filling the screen, and she looked quite anxious.
“Shinji, there has been another incursion. If you are in school now, you must leave. We need you and Genesect again. Do you copy?”
“Yes, I do. I’ll be there as . . . fast as I can, “ he answered. “I just have to get Cubone back.”
“Cubone is not important to this. We need you here. NOW.”
Shinji looked around. He expected Hikari to scold him for having an electronic device out in class. At the very least, he expected Rei to have received the same call from NERV as he did. Yet none of the other people in the classroom were even paying attention to him. They were too busy staring up at the colossal, clawed monstrosity that towered above the city.
The creature stood as tall as Regigigas, but looked very different. It actually resembled Genesect somewhat, at least in the sense that it looked like an enormous, humanoid arthropod. Shinji forced himself to think of what Pokémon it reminded him of.
It looks like a Kabutops, he thought as he ran out the door and back to NERV headquarters. But that’s impossible. There’s no way one could get that big, and they’re supposed to be extinct anyway. Hoping it would clear up the subject to some extent, he pointed his Pokédex at the creature, only to receive a discouraging reply.
“No information on this Pokémon available.” The more Shinji looked at the creature, though, the less it looked like his Pokédex’s picture of a Kabutops. Besides being far bigger, it reminded him in many ways of a corpse; its eyes were pupil-less and yellow, and its shell was perforated by holes through which oozing black liquid dripped.
That’s no Kabutops, at least not anymore, Shinji said to himself. For all I know it was one, once. Shoving his Pokédex back in his pocket, Shinji skidded to a stop when he realized he had forgotten Cubone. Dashing back to the school, he threw open the door, only to be stopped by Hikari and Ninetales once again.
“You again? You’re not allowed in here—the school’s been evacuated. “
“No!” Shinji shouted. “You’ve got to let me in. Cubone’s in there, and I need to get him before I go back home!”
“Fine,” said Hikari. “But make it fast.”
Unfortunately there was no time even for that. The giant Kabutops—if that was even what it was—took a series of slow, lumbering steps toward the school building, each one crashing down with a massive CRUNCHing noise that caused the walls to tremble.
“Cubone!” Shinji screamed, running down the hallway and into the staff offices. He wasn’t sure where Cubone was being kept, but he kenw that whenever a student got something confiscated from them—which was quite frequently—it ended up there. “Cubone!”
“Bone! (I’m over here!)” Cubone cried from behind a stack of cardboard boxes in the corner of the main office. How it had gotten there, whether Hikari had put it there or whether it had wandered off and become trapped, Shinji decided not to dwell on. He tossed the boxes aside, grabbed Cubone, and ran out the door.
As Shinji hurried back to NERV headquarters, he looked back over his shoulder. The giant Kabutops seemed to be heading in the same direction. His mind immediately flashed back to Regigigas, which had also seemed to be traveling deliberately toward the Geofront. That’s just a coincidence . . .right? he thought to himself. What is there in NERV that the Legendary Pokémon would be so obsessed over, anyway?
Just as they had done with Regigigas, the Kanto Strategic Self Defense Force were making their own feeble attempts at attacking the huge Pokémon. It was even less effective than before—the rockets, gunfire, and even the attacks of the KSSDF’s own Pokémon simply bounced off the giant Pokémon’s armored body.
After arriving at NERV headquarters and riding the elevator down to where Genesect was kept, Shinji found himself greeted once again by his father. He did not look pleased.
“You broke the rules at school today,” he said firmly “You got in trouble. Under any normal circumstance, I would have to ban you from your job for this, but unfortunately I cannot. “
“H-how did you know all that?” asked Shinji.
“ I may not be able to observe you constantly, but Alakazam is.” Gendo gestured to the Psychic Pokémon levitating next to him. “Now, get inside Genesect’s Entry Plug.”
Inside the entry plug, Shinji felt the familiar sensation of the orange liquid—which he now knew was called LCL, though he hadn’t the foggiest what that stood for—surrounding him. The smell, however, was just as bad as it had always been, and Shinji found himself sincerely wishing he could have a word with whoever designed the entry plug about installing an air-freshener.
During the time it took Shinji to process this simple thought, Genesect—with him inside it—had been shot up a long tunnel that opened up onto the streets of Pallet Town 3.
Genesect raised itself to an upright position, and focused its cannon on the giant Kabutops. All right, thought Shinji, you can do this. Hyper Beam!
A blinding blast of white light shot out of Genesect’s turret. Kabutops stood riveted to the spot, not moving an inch, even as the blazing beam surged towards it. The Hyper Beam reached its target, detonating in an explosion that generated a considerable amount of smoke.
Well, that was short, thought Shinji. I wonder if I’m going to get some sort of reward for this.
Shinji began to have second thoughts when he noticed a dark shape moving toward him out of the smoke. Shinji geared up Genesect for another Hyper Beam, but before he could, the giant Kabutops burst into full view. His first attack had done no damage to it at all.
Now Shinji could finally tell that this was not an ordinary Kabutops. Its eyes were blank and pale yellow, and its shell was cracked in several places. Strange orange liquid—which looked like LCL—oozed out of these wounds like blood. Most peculiarly, its chest was occupied by a red, crystal-like object, which appeared to be wedged painfully into the creature’s shell.
Just like the one Regigigas had. . .
Kabutops lashed out with its scythe-like arms, demolishing one of the buildings that had been rebuilt from Regigigas’s attack. Genesect leaped out of its way.
Peering around anxiously, Shinji noticed that most of Pallet Town 3 had been evacuated—except for two people on a hillside on the far side of town. Scanning closer with Genesect’s magnifying vision, Shinji recognized them—Toji and Kensuke. Kensuke had out his video camera, and seemed to be filming the entire event. Next to him stood a small yellow Pokémon, which Shinji recognized as an Elekid. Toji was accompanied by a large, orange doglike Pokémon--an Arcanine.
Shinji’s mind shifted to his two classmates, then back to Kabutops again. He had been given a very clear task—defeat Kabutops and prevent it from reaching NERV headquarters. His father had not specified whether he cared about collateral damage or not, but given how much of Pallet town 3 had been trashed during the battle with Regigigas that seemed quite unlikely. Did Shinji really want to abort his mission to rescue two people?
Of course I ****ing am, he thought. Though, then again, I’m probably going to get into a lot of trouble for this. But then again AGAIN, what was that I always said—“I mustn’t run away?”
Before Shinji could redirect Genesect in the direction of his classmates, the giant Kabutops struck back. Lashing out again with its bladelike arms, it knocked Genesect off of its feet and shattered the power mechanism attached to its abdomen.
Inside the entry plug, alarms sounded and brightly colored lights flashed on and off. Shinji panicked, and in doing so, lost his concentration on controlling Genesect. The gigantic Pokémon flailed about, causing nearly as much damage to Pallet Town 3 as Kabutops was, before stumbling toward a hillside on the outskirts of town. The very same hillside, in fact, where Toji, Kensuke, and their Pokémon were watching the battle.
Meanwhile, in NERV headquarters, Gendo, Misato, and Dr. Akagi were watching with apprehension.
“Well, what should we do? asked Misato, “Let them fight until they kill each other, or just plant an N2 bomb on top of them and call it a day?”
“I think,” said Gendo, “ that we ought to discuss what to do with Genesect once its power supply runs out in five minutes. When that happens, it will be utterly helpless against its opponent and Shinji will be unable to escape.”
“And since when do you care about Shinji?” replied Misato.
“I say this,” said Gendo, “only because I know what will happen if even one Legendary Pokémon breaches the Geofront.”
Genesect collapsed onto all fours, anchoring itself into the hillside with its metallic claws. Kensuke, Toji, Elekid, and Arcanine jumped back as it came crashing down next to them, then crept closer to investigate.
“How. . .how do I let other people into the entry plug?” Shinji asked into the radio.
“See the hatch over you head? The one you crawled in though?” Misato’s voice crackled back through the speaker. “There’s a button you can push to make it open, and then let them climb inside. I can’t talk for much longer—“
“Wark!”
Before Shinji could ask why Misato had brought her Empoleon to NERV headquarters, she hung up, and he set about trying to force the entry plug open. As he did, he kept a close eye on his watch.
Only four and a half minutes left. I hope I can pull this off . . .
Shinji shoved the entry plug hatch open, gasping for breath, and waved his arms to get the attention of his two classmates. Seeing him, they called both of their Pokémon back into their Pokéballs, and rushed toward Genesect. Shinji moved out of the way as they squeezed inside. He was only just getting used to the idea of controlling Genesect, and the idea of carrying passengers inside it was one that had never crossed his mind.
Only three minutes left. Face it, Shinji. If you want something more in life than this, you’ve got to stop letting people walk all over you . . .which might not be the best choice of words given your current circumstances.
Shinji reached for the button that would close the entry plug, motioning for Kensuke and Toji to move over. The entry plug had previously been barely large enough for Shinji himself to fit inside, so the idea that it now had room for three people puzzled him. He decided to let it go, though; it was best not to think about that sort of thing when you were inside a colossal armored cyborg about to fight an equally gigantic undead prehistoric arthropod in the middle of a city.
As Genesect got back up to its feet (Only two minutes left. . .) Misato’s voice crackled out of the intercom again. “Shinji, congratulations on saving those two classmates of yours, but time is short. You are going to have to retreat now.”
Shinji’’s jaw dropped. He could not believe what he had just heard Misato say. Kensuke, meanwhile, remained as intrigued as ever, and Toji remained as stoic as ever. Neither one of them waited to see what Shinji’s reaction would be, and Shinji, for his part, was already ignoring them.
He knew that moving Genesect in any direction would just use up what little energy it had faster, so he focused on engaging Kabutops from a distance. He would only have one shot, one attack. As if it was reading his mind (and, if what his father had told him was true, it was reading his mind) the entry plug produced the holographic display of attacks to select. Shinji chose the strongest one—Techno Blast.
(Only one minute left)
The moment Shinji thought the words, Genesect lowered its head, exposing the turret attached to its neck. The turret began to glow (Only thirty seconds), a brilliant beam of white light shot through the air toward Kabutops (Only five seconds), exploding in a flash easily as spectacular as the N2 bomb that had been used against Regigigas.
When the light and smoke faded, Kabutops still stood for a short time (four), the dropped to one knee (three), then both (two) and finally collapsed, in a heap of crumpled armor, on the ground.
(Only one second left)
The moment after it did, Genesect likewise stopped moving. It stood, still as a statue, in the middle of Pallet Town 3, with Shinji, Toji, and Kensuke inside. When the three of them finally got out of the entry plug, and Genesect was returned to NERV, all of them looked very relieved indeed.

Who's that Pokemon?
Last question: It's Genesect!

This Pokemon's arms and legs are coiled like springs, so it can kick from almost any position!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:25 pm

To keep this moving along, here are some more "trainer cards"
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Mari-Makinami-354499341
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Misato-Katsuragi-354849371
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Kensuke-356379389
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Dr-Ritsuko-Akagi-356559235

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:22 pm

I liked all the little jokes sprinkled throughout the story, especially the ones that commented on the various absurdities of the situation. I'm afraid I can't give much in the way of advice or suggestions because I don't really know Pokemon (sorry!), but I guess it would be nice to see more of Shinji and Cubone's relationship, because if Cubone is usually with Shinji instead of inside a Poke Ball, I'm guessing they've become good friends over the years?

Good luck with future chapters, and have fun!
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks! Here's the next chapter. Things are gonna start getting interesting after this, I promise.

As for your question, yes they have. I intended for their relationship to basically be equivalent to Ash and Pikachu in the Pokemon anime.

Neon Genesis Evangelémon: You Can (Not) Catch ‘em All

Episode 4: The Sandslash’s Dilemma.

Shinji was in trouble. Not the kind of trouble that was typical for a child of his age, which tended to involve such things as leaving the hallway lights on, over-watering the houseplants, or not cleaning up after the family Growlithe. No, the trouble he was in was much worse, and it had all started right after he had saved Pallet Town 3 for the second time.
Misato had been furious. His bravery in saving Toji and Kensuke notwithstanding, Shinji had disobeyed one of her direct orders during a time of crisis. Shinji, for his part, was simply confused. He had disobeyed her, yes, but he had also saved two people who would have died otherwise. Surely that was something to be praised for?
With all of this bearing down on him, Shinji had not gone to school for the past five days. He had left NERV earlier that morning, having taken all of his Pokémon (except Genesect, naturally) with him. He did not know or care where he was going, only that he wanted to go somewhere where he would feel needed and recognized. Unfortunately for him, no such place existed, so he had to satisfy himself with wandering around Pallet Town 3 hoping not to be noticed at all.
Right now, he was in Pallet Town 3’s old movie theater, watching a movie that had clearly been made before second impact. Quite why a movie theater, of all things, was still in operation five days after the town had been nearly destroyed by a giant Kabutops was yet another mystery Shinji preferred not to dwell on.
The movie playing was called Attack of the MissingNo, and the plot was as ridiculous as the title sounded—a mysterious “glitch” Pokémon rampaged through Kanto absorbing people into itself. Obviously, this had been someone’s idea of a horror movie before Second Impact occurred and the idea of Pokémon destroying cities became all too real. At least the acting was decent.
Meanwhile, Misato received two unexpected visitors at her apartment—Toji and Kensuke. The two of them had arrived to thanks Shinji for rescuing them, and were instead greeted by Misato and Pen-pen.
They were both taken aback, just as Shinji had been, by the state of disrepair and clutter that Misato’s apartment was presently in. But rather than call Misato out on her atrocious housekeeping habits, or even make any comment on it whatsoever, Toji merely pointed out something that anyone standing there could have seen without any help. “Shinji’s not in here.”
“Yeah, I know,” replied Misato, once again confirming a keen sense of the obvious. But rather than explain where he had actually gone—which should not have been too difficult given the situation-- she decided to tell them something else.
“He’s still in training right now.”
“Qwark qwark qwark. (Yeah, and if you believe that, I defeated a Dragonite when I was just a Piplup.),” added Pen-pen.
Toji and Kensuke turned to leave, though not before politely refusing an offer of Misato’s home-squeezed Shuckle juice.
Shinji’s wanderings, on the other hand, had taken him far beyond the outskirts of Pallet Town 3. Now that he was no longer in the confines of the urban environment, he had taken to letting all of his Pokémon, not just Cubone, travel with him outside their Pokéballs. Right now, Shinji was sitting by a small creek in the woods, watching all of his Pokémon play in the water. All of them, that is, except one—his Sandslash.
Sandslash sat propped up against a tree root with its back to the other Pokémon. As usual, it had its trademark twig gripped between its teeth, and it seemed to be irritated, if not flat-out annoyed, at what was going on around it.
“Bone? (What’s wrong? Why do you look so grumpy?)” asked Cubone, tapping Sandslash on the shoulder with its bone.
“Slaaash. . .sand. Sandslash sand (I tell ya what’s wrong. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, in all my time with you, it’s that I just don’t play well with others. Don’t make me—you’ll only be hurting yourself.),” replied Sandslash. Cubone sulked and shambled back toward the creek, where Raticate, Furret, and Pidgeotto were splashing about happily.
Shinji, meanwhile, decided to get up and gather firewood for a campfire. Of course, he thought, if he had bothered to catch a fire-type Pokémon, this would have been quite a bit simpler, but such was life. He called for Cubone to follow him, but it refused. Instead, it sat against a tree trunk on the opposite side from Sandlash, pondering its fellow Pokémon’s strange antisocial behavior.
“Cu? Cubone? (What on Earth’s wrong with Sandslash?)” Cubone asked, staring up at the sky.
Pidgeotto was the first Pokémon to notice Cubone, and landed nearby. “Pidge-pidge-pidgeooot. Pidgeotto! (Hon, Sandslash is just havin’ a bit of an ego crisis. He thinks he’s too good for us common Pokémon, then he doesn’t, he’s just confused. Just let him sort it out is all I’m sayin’),” it said, in an attempt to comfort Cubone. But Cubone would have none of it. Bursting into tears, he ran headlong into the bushes, leaving Sandslash, Pidgeotto, and the others behind.
Shinji, meanwhile, was still searching for firewood. The sky had grown cloudy, and it looked as if it was going to rain. Most of the forest Pokémon seemed to have taken shelter under the trees and bushes, leaving it almost totally silent. Almost totally silent except for--*SNAP!*
Shinji paused. He was sure he had just heard a twig crack, and he wasn’t sure what it was. Of course, having recently had many bizarre experiences even by the already-bizarre standards of the world he lived in, Shinji ought not to have been surprised. He called out, hoping that if it was a person, they would answer.
“Shinji?! What are you doing here?” came the reply. Shinji searched his memory for the person the voice belonged to—the name was on the tip of his tongue—but was still at a loss for words when the speaker stepped into the clearing. It was Kensuke.
He was dressed in military camouflage, and had what Shinji certainly hoped was only an air rifle in his hand. It wasn’t too hard to figure out what he had been doing in the woods. War games. It was a favorite pastime of his, and he genuinely hoped to join the Kanto Strategic Self Defense Force one day, thick glasses and skinny physique notwithstanding. What Kensuke never bothered to find out, of course, was that the KSSDF was purely for defense from hostile invaders and (more recently) the occasional irate Legendary Pokémon.
“I’m, um, looking for my Cubone.” Shinji answered, not fully sure how much he wanted to tell Kensuke.
“Well, funny you should mention that,” said Kensuke. “There’s one that just showed up outside my campsite. Come with me, I’ll show you.”
At the campsite, Cubone was still lost and nervous. It had arrived there by sheer luck, heading for the first source of light it could find. There had been no people in the campsite when Cubone got there, but there were several Pokémon, some of which Cubone had not seen before. Hesitantly, Cubone tried to greet its erstwhile companions.
“Bone?(Hello?)” it asked, waving its arms in hopes that the other Pokémon would notice it. One of them, a Magnemite, turned around to stare at it.
“Magnemite. Magnemite. (Halt. Who goes there? Is it The General?)” the metallic orb-shaped Pokémon buzzed.
One of its fellows, an Electrode, replied “Ele-electrode. Elec-trode. (No, Colonel. The General has not returned. It is a newcomer. A Cubone.)” It then levitated directly into Cubone’s path, blocking its way into the campsite.
“Cu! Cubone! Bone, bone, bone! (No, you don’t get it. I’m Shinji’s Pokémon. I just need to stay here for the night, that’s all)” pleaded Cubone.
“Magne-mag-magnemite. (If he belongs to a friend of the General, then you should let him in),” explained Magnemite. Reluctantly, Electrode moved aside, letting Cubone in, but not without glaring at both Cubone and Magnemite.
Back at Shinji’s campsite, the rest of his Pokémon were becoming nervous about what might have happened to Cubone. Most of them were, at any rate. Sandslash remained as cranky and antisocial as ever. “Sandslash, slash, sandslash (Don’t you realize what this means? He’s never gonna come back!)”
Pidgeotto was quick to object to this. “Pidgeoot! Pidge-pidge-pidge. Pidgeotto. (I think y’all are just a bunch of pessimists. I’m gonna go look for him myself, and show y’all where he is if I find him).” With that, it took off, and flew up over the forest, with the rest of the Pokémon watching.
“Rati . . .cate? (Are you sure you know what you’re doing?) asked Raticate, but Pidgeotto was already too high to hear it. The other Pokémon looked on nervously as Pidgeotto disappeared over the forest in search of Cubone.
Pidgeotto returned barely five minutes later, sounding quite excited. “Pidgeoot! Pidgeott! (I see him! Follow me!)” it said. Once again, while the rest of the Pokémon eagerly trooped of after Pidgeotto, Sandslash stayed behind. Only Raticate turned back to inquire as to why.
“Cate? (What are you still doing there?)” it asked.
“Slaash. (None of your business.)” replied Sandslash
“Raticate cate . Rati-rati-cate. (You should come with us. You don’t want to stay out here and die, do you?)”
“Sand, (All right)”, Sandslash answered at last. It got to its feet, placed its blade of grass back between its teeth, and started to follow the other Pokémon.
Meanwhile, Shinji and Kensuke were approaching the campsite as well. Shinji hoped Cubone was where Kensuke had said it was, and wondered what his other Pokémon were doing at the time. He did not need to wait long to find out.
All of Shinji and Kensuke’s Pokémon were gathered around a campfire, roasting what looked like pellets of Pokémon food on sticks.
“Where did they all come from?” asked Kensuke.
“I have no idea,” said Shinji “But they look like they’re having a good time. Yeah, even Sandslash,”
The bliss of the moment was short-lived, though. Kensuke approached his Pokémon with a stern look on his face and shouted, “All right, party’s over! Now let’s see some of those attacks you’ve been working on! Colonel! How’s that Thundershock going? And Sarge! I’d like to see you work on that Octazooka!” The Magnemite and the Octillery immediately stopped what they were doing upon hearing their names and demonstrated their attacks for their trainer.
Wow, thought Shinji as he watched Kensuke continue his training session, they obey him better than my Pokémon ever did. And do they ever disobey him, even if they think they want to? No. They don’t do what I did in that battle with the giant Kabutops, because they’ve been perfectly conditioned not to.
There was little room for the two of them in Kensuke’s tent, so Shinji ended up crawling beneath Kensuke’s sleeping bag to stay warm. All of his other Pokémon had been called back into their Poké Balls for the night, but Cubone had squeezed into the tent with Shinji and Kensuke.
The next morning, though, they received a rude awakening. Two men in black suits and sunglasses, accompanied by a Golem and a Machoke, had entered the campsite, and bombarding Kensuke with questions about where Shinji was.
“We know he is here,” one of them said. “Tell us where, and if he comes with us peacefully no harm will come to him.” He gestured toward the Machoke as he said this, which understandable made Kensuke extremely anxious. Sweat nervously built up on his forehead (in a single large drop, of course, as was traditional for anime characters).
Kensuke stuttered. “Oh, Shinji? He’s. . .um . . .getting wood for the campfire. Isn’t that right, Captain?”
“Ele! (Yeah. . .sure),” the Elekid at his side answered.
“You’re lying!” said the man with the Golem. “You’ve been hiding him here after he escaped from NERV headquarters. He is under our authority to return to his legal guardian. ”
During all this, Shinji and Cubone were actually in the tent, knowing it was only a matter of time before the two men—NERV representatives, obviously—found out where he was. Once the men found them, they were escorted into an unmarked black van and driven back to Pallet Town 3.
Misato was not pleased to see him. “The last thing we need,” she told him sternly, “is an Evangelémon trainer with an attitude like yours. The fate of Pallet Town 3—and quite possibly the world—is your responsibility. If you shrug it off like this again, you will not have a second chance. You’re lucky you weren’t needed while you were gone.”
Shinji gulped, and so did Cubone. He’d joined NERV to make his father proud, and he’d felt more at home living here in Misato’s apartment than he ever had living in his own house. Much as he despised being constantly berated and criticized, he couldn’t help but feel that he belonged here. He couldn’t picture himself going anywhere else. I mustn’t run away, he thought, though he knew perfectly well that he would probably try to anyway.
Finally, he spoke again. “I don’t want to disappoint you, but. . .I don’t want to be an Evangelémon trainer anymore.”
“As you wish,” Misato said.
Hearing this over the intercom in his office, Gendo Ikari was not happy. Of course, Gendo was never normally accustomed to small talk, but right now there was an aura of displeasure radiating from him that even Dr. Akagi—who had worked with him for years—found unnerving. “We will need Genesect’s entry plug reconfigured to accept Rei as its trainer.
The next morning, Misato dropped Shinji off at the train station. As he waited for the train back home to arrive, he noticed someone else waiting on the platform as well. At first he thought it was Kensuke, but it couldn’t be—not unless Kensuke had lost his glasses and taken up wearing a tracksuit. Which meant. . .
“Toji!”
“Shinji!” said Toji “I . . . just came to say I’m sorry. I realize that challenging you to a Pokémon battle on school property, and without warning, wasn’t really the best idea. If you want, though, we can have a rematch, just before you go. I’ll let you go first this time.”
“All right,” said Shinji. “Go, Sandslash!”
“Fine. Then I choose . . . Arcanine!” The huge orange canine Pokémon materialized alongside Toji, awaiting its trainer’s order.
“Sand--slasssh! (This town ain’t big enough for the two of us.)” Sandslash glared at Arcanine angrily, brandishing its claws.
“OK, Sandslash, use Earthquake!” Sandslash planted its claws into the ground, and the earth shook beneath Arcanine’s feet.
“Arcanine, use Flamethrower!” shouted Toji.
“Hurry, Sandslash! Dig!”
A blast of flame shot from Arcanine’s mouth, but Sandslash was prepared. It burrowed its way under the ground before the flames reached their target, then burst out directly underneath Arcanine, slashing the Fire-type Pokémon with an overhand claw swipe.
“Slasssh. . .(Hey Fido, ready to play dead?)” Sandslash smirked at Arcanine,
“Grrowf! (Not in a million years, pipsqueak),” replied Arcanine. It fired another Flamethrower attack at Sandslash, not even waiting for Toji’s order. This time, Sandslash had no time to dodge or dig underground. The Flamethrower struck it full force, and sent Sandslash tumbling to the other side of the makeshift arena.
“Sandslash, no!” cried Shinji, rushing over to his fallen Pokémon. “Please, Sandslash, get up!”
Before Shinji could protest further, Toji raised his hand, in imitation of a Pokémon league official. “Sandslash is unable to battle. Arcanine is the—huh?“
As both Shinji and Toji watched in amazement, Sandslash raised itself to its feet. It looked dazed, but nowhere near as badly injured as a creature that logically should have just received multiple third-degree burns would normally be. Logic had a way of being weird like that.
“Slaash! (Do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?)” Sandslash hissed, still glaring at Arcanine as it waited for Shinji to order its next attack.
“Arcanine, Flamethrower!” shouted Toji
“ Sandslash, Focus Blast!”
The two attacks collided head on, and Shinji and Toji both shielded their eyes from the resulting explosion. When they were finally able to see the result, only one Pokémon was still standing.
Toji raised his hand again, signaling that the battle was over. “Arcanine is unable to battle. Sandslash wins!”
For a brief moment, Shinji felt just as elated as he had when he had first defeated Regigigas. His joy was cut short, though, by the sight of a familiar blue sports car that pulled up alongside the train platform. He knew who it was, but pretended to be suitably surprised when Misato stepped out.
“I just wanted to say goodbye before you left,” she said. “You were good while you lasted, but we’ll have to find someone else. Though I must say, we never have had a Trainer quite like you before. . .”
As Misato said this, Shinji turned to face her. “What do you mean?”
“What I’m trying to say is, Shinji, we need you at NERV. You’re important to us. You’re not jut the only one who can control Genesect; you’re like a family member too. So, what do you say?”
Shinji thought for a moment. Finally, he replied, “I think. . .I want to go back with you.”
Shinji and Cubone climbed into the car with Misato. As they drove back to NERV, he reflected on the way his father—and everybody else at NERV--seemed to view him. To them, he was a resource, a means to an end. Yet at the same time they were the closest thing he had to a family. True, a borderline-alcoholic woman, a father who almost certainly had ulterior motives, and various mismatched Pokémon did not constitute what one would normally consider a family, but it was the closest he was ever going to get.
Maybe that’s what Sandslash’s problem is, he thought to himself. The closer we get to each other, the more we drive each other apart. It’s just too hard for some of us to find that sweet spot between too much interaction, and none at all.

Who’s That Pokémon?
The ancient ice that makes up this Pokémon’s body is so durable it can never be melted!

Last answer:
It’s Hitmonlee!
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Thu May 15, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks! Here's the next chapter. Things are gonna start getting interesting after this, I promise.

Neon Genesis Evangelémon: You Can (Not) Catch ‘em All

Episode 4: The Sandslash’s Dilemma.

Shinji was in trouble. Not the kind of trouble that was typical for a child of his age, which tended to involve such things as leaving the hallway lights on, over-watering the houseplants, or not cleaning up after the family Growlithe. No, the trouble he was in was much worse, and it had all started right after he had saved Pallet Town 3 for the second time.
Misato had been furious. His bravery in saving Toji and Kensuke notwithstanding, Shinji had disobeyed one of her direct orders during a time of crisis. Shinji, for his part, was simply confused. He had disobeyed her, yes, but he had also saved two people who would have died otherwise. Surely that was something to be praised for?
With all of this bearing down on him, Shinji had not gone to school for the past five days. He had left NERV earlier that morning, having taken all of his Pokémon (except Genesect, naturally) with him. He did not know or care where he was going, only that he wanted to go somewhere where he would feel needed and recognized. Unfortunately for him, no such place existed, so he had to satisfy himself with wandering around Pallet Town 3 hoping not to be noticed at all.
Right now, he was in Pallet Town 3’s old movie theater, watching a movie that had clearly been made before second impact. Quite why a movie theater, of all things, was still in operation five days after the town had been nearly destroyed by a giant Kabutops was yet another mystery Shinji preferred not to dwell on.
The movie playing was called Attack of the MissingNo, and the plot was as ridiculous as the title sounded—a mysterious “glitch” Pokémon rampaged through Kanto absorbing people into itself. Obviously, this had been someone’s idea of a horror movie before Second Impact occurred and the idea of Pokémon destroying cities became all too real. At least the acting was decent.
Meanwhile, Misato received two unexpected visitors at her apartment—Toji and Kensuke. The two of them had arrived to thanks Shinji for rescuing them, and were instead greeted by Misato and Pen-pen.
They were both taken aback, just as Shinji had been, by the state of disrepair and clutter that Misato’s apartment was presently in. But rather than call Misato out on her atrocious housekeeping habits, or even make any comment on it whatsoever, Toji merely pointed out something that anyone standing there could have seen without any help. “Shinji’s not in here.”
“Yeah, I know,” replied Misato, once again confirming a keen sense of the obvious. But rather than explain where he had actually gone—which should not have been too difficult given the situation-- she decided to tell them something else.
“He’s still in training right now.”
“Qwark qwark qwark. (Yeah, and if you believe that, I defeated a Dragonite when I was just a Piplup.),” added Pen-pen.
Toji and Kensuke turned to leave, though not before politely refusing an offer of Misato’s home-squeezed Shuckle juice.
Shinji’s wanderings, on the other hand, had taken him far beyond the outskirts of Pallet Town 3. Now that he was no longer in the confines of the urban environment, he had taken to letting all of his Pokémon, not just Cubone, travel with him outside their Pokéballs. Right now, Shinji was sitting by a small creek in the woods, watching all of his Pokémon play in the water. All of them, that is, except one—his Sandslash.
Sandslash sat propped up against a tree root with its back to the other Pokémon. As usual, it had its trademark twig gripped between its teeth, and it seemed to be irritated, if not flat-out annoyed, at what was going on around it.
“Bone? (What’s wrong? Why do you look so grumpy?)” asked Cubone, tapping Sandslash on the shoulder with its bone.
“Slaaash. . .sand. Sandslash sand (I tell ya what’s wrong. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, in all my time with you, it’s that I just don’t play well with others. Don’t make me—you’ll only be hurting yourself.),” replied Sandslash. Cubone sulked and shambled back toward the creek, where Raticate, Furret, and Pidgeotto were splashing about happily.
Shinji, meanwhile, decided to get up and gather firewood for a campfire. Of course, he thought, if he had bothered to catch a fire-type Pokémon, this would have been quite a bit simpler, but such was life. He called for Cubone to follow him, but it refused. Instead, it sat against a tree trunk on the opposite side from Sandlash, pondering its fellow Pokémon’s strange antisocial behavior.
“Cu? Cubone? (What on Earth’s wrong with Sandslash?)” Cubone asked, staring up at the sky.
Pidgeotto was the first Pokémon to notice Cubone, and landed nearby. “Pidge-pidge-pidgeooot. Pidgeotto! (Hon, Sandslash is just havin’ a bit of an ego crisis. He thinks he’s too good for us common Pokémon, then he doesn’t, he’s just confused. Just let him sort it out is all I’m sayin’),” it said, in an attempt to comfort Cubone. But Cubone would have none of it. Bursting into tears, he ran headlong into the bushes, leaving Sandslash, Pidgeotto, and the others behind.
Shinji, meanwhile, was still searching for firewood. The sky had grown cloudy, and it looked as if it was going to rain. Most of the forest Pokémon seemed to have taken shelter under the trees and bushes, leaving it almost totally silent. Almost totally silent except for--*SNAP!*
Shinji paused. He was sure he had just heard a twig crack, and he wasn’t sure what it was. Of course, having recently had many bizarre experiences even by the already-bizarre standards of the world he lived in, Shinji ought not to have been surprised. He called out, hoping that if it was a person, they would answer.
“Shinji?! What are you doing here?” came the reply. Shinji searched his memory for the person the voice belonged to—the name was on the tip of his tongue—but was still at a loss for words when the speaker stepped into the clearing. It was Kensuke.
He was dressed in military camouflage, and had what Shinji certainly hoped was only an air rifle in his hand. It wasn’t too hard to figure out what he had been doing in the woods. War games. It was a favorite pastime of his, and he genuinely hoped to join the Kanto Strategic Self Defense Force one day, thick glasses and skinny physique notwithstanding. What Kensuke never bothered to find out, of course, was that the KSSDF was purely for defense from hostile invaders and (more recently) the occasional irate Legendary Pokémon.
“I’m, um, looking for my Cubone.” Shinji answered, not fully sure how much he wanted to tell Kensuke.
“Well, funny you should mention that,” said Kensuke. “There’s one that just showed up outside my campsite. Come with me, I’ll show you.”
At the campsite, Cubone was still lost and nervous. It had arrived there by sheer luck, heading for the first source of light it could find. There had been no people in the campsite when Cubone got there, but there were several Pokémon, some of which Cubone had not seen before. Hesitantly, Cubone tried to greet its erstwhile companions.
“Bone?(Hello?)” it asked, waving its arms in hopes that the other Pokémon would notice it. One of them, a Magnemite, turned around to stare at it.
“Magnemite. Magnemite. (Halt. Who goes there? Is it The General?)” the metallic orb-shaped Pokémon buzzed.
One of its fellows, an Electrode, replied “Ele-electrode. Elec-trode. (No, Colonel. The General has not returned. It is a newcomer. A Cubone.)” It then levitated directly into Cubone’s path, blocking its way into the campsite.
“Cu! Cubone! Bone, bone, bone! (No, you don’t get it. I’m Shinji’s Pokémon. I just need to stay here for the night, that’s all)” pleaded Cubone.
“Magne-mag-magnemite. (If he belongs to a friend of the General, then you should let him in),” explained Magnemite. Reluctantly, Electrode moved aside, letting Cubone in, but not without glaring at both Cubone and Magnemite.
Back at Shinji’s campsite, the rest of his Pokémon were becoming nervous about what might have happened to Cubone. Most of them were, at any rate. Sandslash remained as cranky and antisocial as ever. “Sandslash, slash, sandslash (Don’t you realize what this means? He’s never gonna come back!)”
Pidgeotto was quick to object to this. “Pidgeoot! Pidge-pidge-pidge. Pidgeotto. (I think y’all are just a bunch of pessimists. I’m gonna go look for him myself, and show y’all where he is if I find him).” With that, it took off, and flew up over the forest, with the rest of the Pokémon watching.
“Rati . . .cate? (Are you sure you know what you’re doing?) asked Raticate, but Pidgeotto was already too high to hear it. The other Pokémon looked on nervously as Pidgeotto disappeared over the forest in search of Cubone.
Pidgeotto returned barely five minutes later, sounding quite excited. “Pidgeoot! Pidgeott! (I see him! Follow me!)” it said. Once again, while the rest of the Pokémon eagerly trooped of after Pidgeotto, Sandslash stayed behind. Only Raticate turned back to inquire as to why.
“Cate? (What are you still doing there?)” it asked.
“Slaash. (None of your business.)” replied Sandslash
“Raticate cate . Rati-rati-cate. (You should come with us. You don’t want to stay out here and die, do you?)”
“Sand, (All right)”, Sandslash answered at last. It got to its feet, placed its blade of grass back between its teeth, and started to follow the other Pokémon.
Meanwhile, Shinji and Kensuke were approaching the campsite as well. Shinji hoped Cubone was where Kensuke had said it was, and wondered what his other Pokémon were doing at the time. He did not need to wait long to find out.
All of Shinji and Kensuke’s Pokémon were gathered around a campfire, roasting what looked like pellets of Pokémon food on sticks.
“Where did they all come from?” asked Kensuke.
“I have no idea,” said Shinji “But they look like they’re having a good time. Yeah, even Sandslash,”
The bliss of the moment was short-lived, though. Kensuke approached his Pokémon with a stern look on his face and shouted, “All right, party’s over! Now let’s see some of those attacks you’ve been working on! Colonel! How’s that Thundershock going? And Sarge! I’d like to see you work on that Octazooka!” The Magnemite and the Octillery immediately stopped what they were doing upon hearing their names and demonstrated their attacks for their trainer.
Wow, thought Shinji as he watched Kensuke continue his training session, they obey him better than my Pokémon ever did. And do they ever disobey him, even if they think they want to? No. They don’t do what I did in that battle with the giant Kabutops, because they’ve been perfectly conditioned not to.
There was little room for the two of them in Kensuke’s tent, so Shinji ended up crawling beneath Kensuke’s sleeping bag to stay warm. All of his other Pokémon had been called back into their Poké Balls for the night, but Cubone had squeezed into the tent with Shinji and Kensuke.
The next morning, though, they received a rude awakening. Two men in black suits and sunglasses, accompanied by a Golem and a Machoke, had entered the campsite, and bombarding Kensuke with questions about where Shinji was.
“We know he is here,” one of them said. “Tell us where, and if he comes with us peacefully no harm will come to him.” He gestured toward the Machoke as he said this, which understandable made Kensuke extremely anxious. Sweat nervously built up on his forehead (in a single large drop, of course, as was traditional for anime characters).
Kensuke stuttered. “Oh, Shinji? He’s. . .um . . .getting wood for the campfire. Isn’t that right, Captain?”
“Ele! (Yeah. . .sure),” the Elekid at his side answered.
“You’re lying!” said the man with the Golem. “You’ve been hiding him here after he escaped from NERV headquarters. He is under our authority to return to his legal guardian. ”
During all this, Shinji and Cubone were actually in the tent, knowing it was only a matter of time before the two men—NERV representatives, obviously—found out where he was. Once the men found them, they were escorted into an unmarked black van and driven back to Pallet Town 3.
Misato was not pleased to see him. “The last thing we need,” she told him sternly, “is an Evangelémon trainer with an attitude like yours. The fate of Pallet Town 3—and quite possibly the world—is your responsibility. If you shrug it off like this again, you will not have a second chance. You’re lucky you weren’t needed while you were gone.”
Shinji gulped, and so did Cubone. He’d joined NERV to make his father proud, and he’d felt more at home living here in Misato’s apartment than he ever had living in his own house. Much as he despised being constantly berated and criticized, he couldn’t help but feel that he belonged here. He couldn’t picture himself going anywhere else. I mustn’t run away, he thought, though he knew perfectly well that he would probably try to anyway.
Finally, he spoke again. “I don’t want to disappoint you, but. . .I don’t want to be an Evangelémon trainer anymore.”
“As you wish,” Misato said.
Hearing this over the intercom in his office, Gendo Ikari was not happy. Of course, Gendo was never normally accustomed to small talk, but right now there was an aura of displeasure radiating from him that even Dr. Akagi—who had worked with him for years—found unnerving. “We will need Genesect’s entry plug reconfigured to accept Rei as its trainer.
The next morning, Misato dropped Shinji off at the train station. As he waited for the train back home to arrive, he noticed someone else waiting on the platform as well. At first he thought it was Kensuke, but it couldn’t be—not unless Kensuke had lost his glasses and taken up wearing a tracksuit. Which meant. . .
“Toji!”
“Shinji!” said Toji “I . . . just came to say I’m sorry. I realize that challenging you to a Pokémon battle on school property, and without warning, wasn’t really the best idea. If you want, though, we can have a rematch, just before you go. I’ll let you go first this time.”
“All right,” said Shinji. “Go, Sandslash!”
“Fine. Then I choose . . . Arcanine!” The huge orange canine Pokémon materialized alongside Toji, awaiting its trainer’s order.
“Sand--slasssh! (This town ain’t big enough for the two of us.)” Sandslash glared at Arcanine angrily, brandishing its claws.
“OK, Sandslash, use Earthquake!” Sandslash planted its claws into the ground, and the earth shook beneath Arcanine’s feet.
“Arcanine, use Flamethrower!” shouted Toji.
“Hurry, Sandslash! Dig!”
A blast of flame shot from Arcanine’s mouth, but Sandslash was prepared. It burrowed its way under the ground before the flames reached their target, then burst out directly underneath Arcanine, slashing the Fire-type Pokémon with an overhand claw swipe.
“Slasssh. . .(Hey Fido, ready to play dead?)” Sandslash smirked at Arcanine,
“Grrowf! (Not in a million years, pipsqueak),” replied Arcanine. It fired another Flamethrower attack at Sandslash, not even waiting for Toji’s order. This time, Sandslash had no time to dodge or dig underground. The Flamethrower struck it full force, and sent Sandslash tumbling to the other side of the makeshift arena.
“Sandslash, no!” cried Shinji, rushing over to his fallen Pokémon. “Please, Sandslash, get up!”
Before Shinji could protest further, Toji raised his hand, in imitation of a Pokémon league official. “Sandslash is unable to battle. Arcanine is the—huh?“
As both Shinji and Toji watched in amazement, Sandslash raised itself to its feet. It looked dazed, but nowhere near as badly injured as a creature that logically should have just received multiple third-degree burns would normally be. Logic had a way of being weird like that.
“Slaash! (Do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?)” Sandslash hissed, still glaring at Arcanine as it waited for Shinji to order its next attack.
“Arcanine, Flamethrower!” shouted Toji
“ Sandslash, Focus Blast!”
The two attacks collided head on, and Shinji and Toji both shielded their eyes from the resulting explosion. When they were finally able to see the result, only one Pokémon was still standing.
Toji raised his hand again, signaling that the battle was over. “Arcanine is unable to battle. Sandslash wins!”
For a brief moment, Shinji felt just as elated as he had when he had first defeated Regigigas. His joy was cut short, though, by the sight of a familiar blue sports car that pulled up alongside the train platform. He knew who it was, but pretended to be suitably surprised when Misato stepped out.
“I just wanted to say goodbye before you left,” she said. “You were good while you lasted, but we’ll have to find someone else. Though I must say, we never have had a Trainer quite like you before. . .”
As Misato said this, Shinji turned to face her. “What do you mean?”
“What I’m trying to say is, Shinji, we need you at NERV. You’re important to us. You’re not jut the only one who can control Genesect; you’re like a family member too. So, what do you say?”
Shinji thought for a moment. Finally, he replied, “I think. . .I want to go back with you.”
Shinji and Cubone climbed into the car with Misato. As they drove back to NERV, he reflected on the way his father—and everybody else at NERV--seemed to view him. To them, he was a resource, a means to an end. Yet at the same time they were the closest thing he had to a family. True, a borderline-alcoholic woman, a father who almost certainly had ulterior motives, and various mismatched Pokémon did not constitute what one would normally consider a family, but it was the closest he was ever going to get.
Maybe that’s what Sandslash’s problem is, he thought to himself. The closer we get to each other, the more we drive each other apart. It’s just too hard for some of us to find that sweet spot between too much interaction, and none at all.

Who’s That Pokémon?
This Pokemon gathers on hilltops during thunderstorms. It charges itself by waving its arms around.

Last answer:
It's Regice!
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Fanfiction”