Gone to Guf. Back for Final. -- Love Gen & Fuyu

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 am

View Original PostCharsi wrote:The theory i'm mentally working on doesn't involve time travel at all. It's simply an attractor field convergence of multiple world lines around a fixed event (thank you Steins;Gate).

The attractor in this case is the "final" impact, or Instrumentality.

Maybe i'll go make a thread somewhere.

In human terms, that means that during Final Impact, a door to other dimensions opens right?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 am

View Original PostCharsi wrote:The theory i'm mentally working on doesn't involve time travel at all. It's simply an attractor field convergence of multiple world lines around a fixed event (thank you Steins;Gate).

The attractor in this case is the "final" impact, or Instrumentality.

Maybe i'll go make a thread somewhere.

But in Steins;Gate the attractor field leads to a common event at a certain time; for example Mayuri always dies within a certain number of days, no matter what, and SERN eventually create a dystopia from the Time Leap Machine. What we see in NME takes place over a much larger time scale, and has multiple Impacts (5th Impact will apparently lead to Instrumentality, rather than Third or Fourth). In terms of Steins;Gate this would be like the Mayuri route (not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet) in which events deviate from the norm and are considered part of a separate attractor field. So NGE would be considered the Alpha attractor field, and NME would be the Beta attractor field. The events, people and circumstances are similar but the end results are different.

Once again, though, I don't really link the Guf with time travel, and no-one in NME has apparently received text messages from their future self.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Thu May 30, 2013 8:58 am

I was trying not to spoil the story at all for anyone...

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:But in Steins;Gate the attractor field leads to a common event at a certain time. What we see in NME takes place over a much larger time scale, and has multiple Impacts (5th Impact will apparently lead to Instrumentality, rather than Third or Fourth).

My point is the amount of time taken for the line to play itself out, and the things that happen along the way, aren't actually relevant. In the case of Evangelion the common event is Instrumentality (at the End of Evangelion and presumably at the end of Final) and the root cause is 2I. Everything else is merely stuff that happens along the way.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:[...] within a certain number of days

Yes but that number is flexible and changes from line to line. In S;G, the inevitable event doesn't always happen at the same time (it can be pushed back by a few days) and happens differently each time, and all this stuff happens along the way - but it always has the same core event occur, no matter how long it takes.

Sort of like how sometimes they go to Comima and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the Rounders show up and sometimes they don't. Sometimes Suzuha shows up and sometimes she doesn't (oh hey look it's Kaworu!).

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 am

View Original PostCharsi wrote:
Sort of like how sometimes they go to Comima and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the Rounders show up and sometimes they don't. Sometimes Suzuha shows up and sometimes she doesn't (oh hey look it's Kaworu!).

I would consider Misato breaking away from Nerv and forming a splinter organisation based around a giant floating battleship more important than a trip to ComiMa, but I can see your basic idea.

Still, unless Gendo is planning to send a phone message through the Guf I don't see how he's going to use it to go back in time.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu May 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I really like cloudxsolder's idea about the white moon being upside down, though I'm still betting that the GUFO being the moon-like surface seen in 1.0 inside Nerv HQ. The glow on the opposite side of the GUFO is something that really needs explaining though. Perhaps it's an anti-gravity device, similar to the one Gendo used with the Seele chamber?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I'm still betting that the GUFO being the moon-like surface seen in 1.0 inside Nerv HQ.

Why in the world would the moony surface inside Nerv HQ belong to anything aside from the Black Moon itself?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Someone noticed that the surface of GUFO moves as if it were viscous liquid or a core black and white? Watch this scene in the movie (I think it is easier for those who have the movie on BD):
The dark spots move while the crosses are static.
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

cloudxsolder
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cloudxsolder » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote: The glow on the opposite side of the GUFO is something that really needs explaining though.

I'm not sure if you where directing that at me, or if you meant in general. But I wasn't sure if the image explained it right so I'll recap, The light behind the "Moon" it is a hole, the hole is the other open point into guff, which is open and has always been ever since second impact. To me, second impact isn't 'finished' nor was it 'stopped' like the others that came after it. It's merely paused. (again, just a theory)

Also, this theory doesn't involve time travel at all. (though I did throw a loose theory about gendo going into guff to avoid the time loop that IS instramentality in order to see yui, but is a different theory all together)

Since the door of Guff FIRST opened at the south pole during 2I, guff and everything inside it, have been part of our time continuem. Only when both doors are closed does it exist in it's own realm (or something....lol) My point I'm trying to make is that the white moon sucked up into guff during 2I doesn't have anything to do with time travel etc.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 30, 2013 5:34 pm

If there is a White Moon, shouldn't we expect it to look similar to the Black Moon -- i.e., be a big chalice-thingy, instead of a planetoid?

I still say the "GUFO" is the Chamber of Guf. The Door should lead to the Chamber. It's only logical.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cloudxsolder
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cloudxsolder » Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If there is a White Moon, shouldn't we expect it to look similar to the Black Moon -- i.e., be a big chalice-thingy, instead of a planetoid?

Yes it should, and does. As I said on page 5, it's all a matter of perspective...

Again, not to scale, but you get the idea. There is no reason why the object can't be the exact shape as lilliths moon. We where just given a look at it from a misleading angle.

EDIT: Another thing I'll point out, is that Adams seed DIDN'T crash here. It LANDED as intended. (I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume this part holds true from NGE) Those 6 crosses may very well have been part of the transport vessel. Lilliths however, was damaged, weather in space or during it's impact, and lost her "appendages".... Or did one manage to survive?? (the long shaft between The black moon and Neo Nerv?) Or at least part thereof..
Last edited by cloudxsolder on Thu May 30, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 pm

But then how do you explain it orbiting/rotating around?

:huh:

cloudxsolder
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cloudxsolder » Thu May 30, 2013 6:46 pm

No idea, they probably just added that for flavour, it could just do it on it's own from when it was pulled from the earth.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 30, 2013 6:47 pm

It's an interesting idea, but the arms on the top cross don't look nearly foreshortened enough if they're supposed to be on a long object (i.e., that much further away from us).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cloudxsolder
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cloudxsolder » Thu May 30, 2013 6:50 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's an interesting idea, but the arms on the top cross don't look nearly foreshortened enough if they're supposed to be on a long object (i.e., that much further away from us).

Reichu, I don't get what you're saying. Remember that the image isn't to scale lol.
Also, take a look at my edit in my previous post.

EDIT: I get it now. well it could still hold true. It gust means that the 6 crosses are all the same length, and the one coming out the bottom just seems shorter.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Fri May 31, 2013 3:00 am

The light can't possibly come from the other side. If that's the case, the bottom side of tessaract arms that extend across the GUFO should be just as dark. But we see it being lit by the light source and I don't see any clear indication of multiple light sources. Which means that the light source is likely to be some sort of glow from the GUFO and that is what is giving off the light to the arms.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:34 am

So my twitter feed is mostly made up of Eva news and SPAAAAAAAACE news. Today they overlapped

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140323.html

:lol:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:53 am

It looks like fucking Giygas's lair! :cringe:

Makes you wonder, if Gendo and Fuyu really hided in the Chamber of Guf, how the place looks like : an absolutely silent and dark place, like space but without even the stars giving you a point of reference, or are the soul of the dead inside it, floating in these vast darknesses with their disembodied voices resonating inside the people's mind? Or is it an even more eldritch location, something that you can't even gaze without having your mind shattered, explaining why the "cockpit" where Gendo and Fuyu were seen was completely obscured?

And how the hell will WILLE reach them?Will they try to goad Gendo into making his floating fortress join the fight, will they enlist Shinji to get one last time inside EVA-01 which is inside the Wunder, so he will uses his Impact Trigger powers to open the Door and let WILLE launch a direct attack? (just when you thought that he couldn't have his sanity even more destroyed!)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:03 am

Impacts seem like a safe bet. :tongue:

Although that's assuming Gendo isn't planning to come out of his own accord. Perhaps Shinji fucks up again, starts an impact all according to Gendo's scenario, and he uses the moment to come out of the Guf and unleash his hordes of mass production evas.

Actually, isn't all of Nerv HQ in the Guf? Wouldn't that practically necessitate an impact for the MPEs to come into play?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:04 am

The problem we have is that we don't know what effective offensive capabilities Wille has other than the Wunder and now just Eva-08(+2?).

Eva-01 being Wunder's power source is another problem. Can an awakened, door-opening Eva still be useful as a power source? Wunder seemed to be dead in the water without it. So if Eva-01 escapes or is let go to open the door will it be 8+2 that charges in? Or will Shinji magic awakened Eva-01 to be controllable?

Yay waiting for Final...
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:07 am

And there's still the question of what role Yui and Rei's souls being in Unit 01 play in regards to the big picture.

Could possibly tie into Gufiness, more Impacts and/or Shinji magic...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”