The Children as adults

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:11 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote: As a Captain/Major, IMHO, she'd be in a position of authority, so she could totally order and boss people around (whether they like it or not). Going by episode 11, Asuka does seem to have some excellent leadership skills (IMHO).

-
She has raw talent (another example would be episode 8 - "Screw asking permission, let's activate the EVA right here!", complete with Misato congratulating her on the initiative), but wanting to be the red power ranger always put a damper on her being sastisfied with being the group's stategist.
A good leader has to use their subordinates and their input well, not just boss them around, less of all ignore them/bully them into submission/be a generally toxic, teamwork-hampering person. (Episode 16, I'm looking at you)

But that is exactly the sort of thing that a few years of growing up fix very well and frequently do fix.
but I think part of that would be to trade romantic fantasies of actionherodom for real priorities, so I think she'd be a company boss/entrepreneur/businesswoman/etc rather than a mercenary. I guess it also depends on the need of either of those things in the post EoE world / how fast ppl detang and reestablish society.

I do agree with Rei being more likely to be the sciency one, she's actually interested in that, Asuka just got a degree to prove something. Someone earlier mentioned Marine Biologist? That seems oddly fitting. Something about how it has to do with both water, silent/serene places and weird, 'older' forms of life.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:02 am

I had to work on possible character futures for one of my fics, so I developed something that made sense for each of the children. Keep in mind this is within a storyline that resembles the TV series and not Rebuild or EOE, so there's a (stronger chance) all of them are still around by the end, within a somewhat normal world.

Shinji: Earlier comments that he's not particular motivated are valid, but then he's also only fourteen and that's not all that uncommon at that age even given his particular family issues. If he can move on from EVA he could actually find a second wind for himself. I considered music as a profession (composer, teacher, performer, what have you) for him, as it's something that allows him social isolation and abstract focus, and it's suitable for his character. Likewise, Scientist is not a bad job either for the same reasons, plus he's got the family background for it.

Asuka: Nearly everyone here says "military' and I agree, it's the most suitable. I actually picked her as Astronaut (because it's the kind of job that's really elite and high-achieving) but that folds into military anyway. She'll always be a pilot, EVA or no.

Rei: An extremely introverted personality combined with a very delicate and observant nature, Rei was not necessarily easy to figure but her again I decided scientist. Like Shinji, I think she would seek out a position that allows her to focus and do so away from social interaction. Strangely enough, my second choice was Teacher, and particularly teacher for very young children, like a kindergarden teacher. I picked that because I see her still as having a very child-like character herself, and it would be just like her to go to an environment filled with young children, if only to help discover herself. Also for some reason Ballet performer/instructor also seemed suitable.

Toji: Everyone assumes athlete but I actually sized him up as something else: doctor. No, really! Reasons why? Two good ones were 1) he's very connected to wounded little sister Sakura and so medical matters might be more important to him that you realize and 2) Safely assuming he's together with Hikari, Hikari will likely help motivate him to be more academic and that might lead to actually using all of his brain for once. It was kind of an off-beat choice, but I could definitely see him as Team doctor for a sports team of some kind.

Kaworu: Kaworu never gets a job, he just drifts along on his good looks.

Kensuke: Again, soldier seems obvious but Kensuke might be too small to succeed in the service (he's as short as Rei in the show). A good fallback for him is photographer/videographer for obvious reasons. If he does make the military then he's definitely your guy for photo recon.

Hikari: The choices most people would assume would be homemaker or something to do with cooking or domestic. I say she'd be good in the business world, as she's managing to run both Class 2-A and a whole household on her own already. I could definitely see her running her own company by the time she's 30.

Mari: She's got this combination of strong optimism together with a attitude of really pushing the edge of nearly anything. She likes challenges but unlike Asuka isn't cynical about them. My choice for her was Spy, something that will really allow her to live on the edge.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:07 pm

This is fun.

Here's my two cents.

Shinji--For some reason, I always thought Shinji would make a good artist. He's a very insightful individual, and I'm sure that if he could translate those feelings into some sort of visual medium he could have a career from that.

Asuka-- Agree with what most people say here, probably military.

Rei-- Hard to tell. She seems to be good at math and/or science, so maybe a university professor or researcher?

Kensuke-- Movie director or filmmaker. I imagine he'd be like Michael Bay, having a special fondness for military vehicles, explosions, and scantily-clad women.

Toji-- Nothing really original to say here, probably something involving sports or other physical activity.

Hikari-- Teacher. She's a class representative, and has shown how good she can be handling large groups of children, so it's a natural fit. I can picture her being like Yukari from Azumanga Daioh!

Mari-- I honestly have no clue. I do see her privately being a "crazy cat lady", though. :D
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:34 pm

I already replied once, but I might as well tackle everyone.

Shinji: I agree with the common notion that he'd wind up being an administrator. I don't think he'd be a salaryman, though; it'd have to mean something (because guilt etc). So, something with the government or an NGO focused on helping people come back from the tang or whatever.

Asuka: As I said previously, the whole action girl thing is so not her. Look at what she does on her time off: she goes shopping and reads fashion magazines. Additionally, look at her attitudes toward dating and such: she's positively prudish. This is a girl who wants to be swept off her feet so she can lead a nice, quiet, SAFE life. Give her her creature comforts and she'll be content doing most anything, but something involving her getting shot at is laughable.

Rei: She could be a researcher, or she could be an artist. Perhaps both. Lots of potential with this girl, assuming she's not dead and stuff.

Touji: I think Grand Duke's on to something with the doctor angle, but I'm not convinced Touji has the smarts to make it happen. I could definitely see him being a physical trainer, though, or perhaps a paramedic or something. Those are good fits.

Hikari: Small business owner doing catering or something. She's the easiest of the bunch to read.

Kensuke: He wants to be a spy. I'm not sure he has the chops to make it work, though. With everyone else paired up post-3I I can see him slipping through the cracks and becoming a NEET, perhaps even a hikikomori. Welcome to the NHK ending totally plausible with this one.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Oh. Didn't realize my ideas were so bad.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:39 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Oh. Didn't realize my ideas were so bad.

I wasn't saying they were, just disagreeing with the general consensus in Asuka's case. The rest is fine IMO (particularly Shinji as artist; I don't see him doing that for a living, but it's definitely got something going for it as a hobby). And Kensuke as filmmaker is gold.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I can only assume that pod-person Shiknami's military rank and enforced career is behind the sudden strange consensus about Asuka.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:29 pm

What do you mean by pod-person? It's not like there are two Asukas in the world of Rebuild or anything like that.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Shinji - I could see him doing something like civil engineering. Doing his part to rebuild the world he trashed, basically.

Asuka - Agreed she's not going to be throwing herself into combat zones, but I could see her doing something like astronaut easy enough.

Rei - Given her whole quest of self-discovery, I could see her eventually turning that interest into a career in something like child psychology.

I'm with Bags on the rest.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:What do you mean by pod-person?
A replica in appearance only, substituted for the original. Yes, the usage here is "meta".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Asuka: As I said previously, the whole action girl thing is so not her. Look at what she does on her time off: she goes shopping and reads fashion magazines. [...]Give her her creature comforts and she'll be content doing most anything, but something involving her getting shot at is laughable.

This... more or less.
It's certainly in part something she's forcing herself to be to match her expectations of what a worthwhile person is, not because it's how she'd naturally act.
Keeping the fakery up every day tired her out, and when she felt no rewards or reliefs comming her way, but only dissapointments, she could no longer stand it and basically burned out.

That said, a portion of the warrior's spirit (EoE - also, the very ability and drive to presevere/push herself as much as she did), as well a the dominant, extroverted personality is genuine (as far as it is present in say, the AU scene. She'd probably still be bossy, but not viscious if she didn't feel cornered), so I don't think it's exactly 'peace and quiet', she'd need more stimulation and appraisal than that. She does want something substantial out of life/leave a mark, she just had to work off a teenaged girl's idea of how to do that so far.

You're right about the 'desire for safety' thing, but the way she channels that could change as she matures, in a way that will be compatible with a leader position. But guns (or show business/politics/etc, where the Media massively scruntizes you) are probably not on the menu, we agree.

As for the astronaut thing... That's a job where you absolutely cannot get in a fight with the 12 ppl you're going to be stuck with for the two years it takes to get to Mars. There's psychological evaluations. There's isolation and claustrophobia, and the -200 kelvin void just outside thin walls.
Technical skills (and the determination needed to aquire them to such elite extents) wise, she could pull it off, but... hm, I guess it depends on how she matures.
Some part of me tends toward saying that none of the kids will ever be doing this kind of work, due to the often underappreciated Satre hell factor of spaceflight (It's a concern for the actual research going on, ie, before sending anyone to mars, they're sticking people in capsules for that long... actual astronaut selection programs involve watching ppl how they interact in a group. That's not a test any of the cast is ever going to pass. Mari would probably be just fine in space, as far as her own feelings go, but she might disrupt the others/ rush off to do stuff on her own, and you don't want to hang a billion-dollar project on that. )
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:47 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:As for the astronaut thing... That's a job where you absolutely cannot get in a fight with the 12 ppl you're going to be stuck with for the two years it takes to get to Mars. There's psychological evaluations. There's isolation and claustrophobia, and the -200 kelvin void just outside thin walls.
Technical skills (and the determination needed to aquire them to such elite extents) wise, she could pull it off, but... hm, I guess it depends on how she matures.
Some part of me tends toward saying that none of the kids will ever be doing this kind of work, due to the often underappreciated Satre hell factor of spaceflight (It's a concern for the actual research going on, ie, before sending anyone to mars, they're sticking people in capsules for that long... actual astronaut selection programs involve watching ppl how they interact in a group. That's not a test any of the cast is ever going to pass. Mari would probably be just fine in space, as far as her own feelings go, but she might disrupt the others/ rush off to do stuff on her own, and you don't want to hang a billion-dollar project on that. )

Oh yeah, Mari as an astronaut is a lock. But Asuka . . . I dunno, for some reason the notion of her being an astronaut is ludicrous to me. I mean, leaving aside the psychological issues (and I agree she wouldn't measure up there), given everything she's learned about the SoLs and such, I'm just left with . . . why? Why would anyone want to do that in the world of NGE? It's a career that just seem to be at right angles to everything the cast is looking to accomplish for themselves. It makes a certain amount of sense in the high action environment of the ENT series, but I just can't see it in the context of the original.

Except for Rei. She could pull it off, I think. But Asuka couldn't be bothered IMO.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:54 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:This... more or less.
It's certainly in part something she's forcing herself to be to match her expectations of what a worthwhile person is, not because it's how she'd naturally act.
Keeping the fakery up every day tired her out, and when she felt no rewards or reliefs comming her way, but only dissapointments, she could no longer stand it and basically burned out.
That said, a portion of the warrior's spirit (EoE - also, the very ability and drive to presevere/push herself as much as she did), as well a the dominant, extroverted personality is genuine (as far as it is present in say, the AU scene. She'd probably still be bossy, but not viscious if she didn't feel cornered), so I don't think it's exactly 'peace and quiet', she'd need more stimulation and appraisal than that. She does want something substantial out of life/leave a mark, she just had to work off a teenaged girl's idea of how to do that so far.
You're right about the 'desire for safety' thing, but the way she channels that could change as she matures, in a way that will be compatible with a leader position. But guns (or show business/politics/etc, where the Media massively scruntizes you) are probably not on the menu, we agree.

Wow. . .I've never seen her that way before. How do you think this affects the fanfic biography I made?
(warning--contains Pokémon ;) )
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Asuka-Langley-Soryu-352464452

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Dude, the SOL deal is tangible proof of life on other worlds. When the truth of that comes out I expect interest in space to literally skyrocket.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:05 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:This... more or less.

Wow. . .I've never seen her that way before. How do you think this affects the fanfic biography I made?
(warning--contains Pokémon ;) )
http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com/art/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon-Asuka-Langley-Soryu-352464452

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:08 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Dude, the SOL deal is tangible proof of life on other worlds. When the truth of that comes out I expect interest in space to literally skyrocket.

Okay, Asuka just spent the last few months fighting the Angels, getting mindraped by one of them in the process. And now she wants to go find more of them? Seriously? C'mon man, it makes no sense. Rei might do it; she's all about curiosity and exploring the unknown and such. Hell, even Kensuke might do it. But Asuka, of all people? No way. Can't see it.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 am

Let's say that everything up through Episode 24 takes place, but something causes Seele to collapse and Gendo dies of a heart attack before either faction has a chance to initiate Third Impact. Let's also make another assumption that none of the children would be satisfied with making money on the lecture circuit and that they would not be interested in staying with whatever post-NERV organization rose up as a consultant.

Shinji, for some reason, would strike me as making a good commercial airline pilot. Not because he has a need for piloting but because he has the patience and fastidiousness needed to run an airplane. Commercial flight seems more likely than him ever joining the military.

Asuka would, as other people mentioned, do well in the world of academia. I could definitely see her taking on the "publish or perish" mentality with full stride and committing herself to some abstruse branch of philosophy or mathematics. For some reason, I have trouble imagining her as a scientist.

Rei III, assuming that she has the same unconventional way of viewing the world as her predecessor, could make for a talented visual artist. It would be interesting to see her mode of thought translated into painting or sculpture.

Other people have mentioned Toji as some kind of health-care worker, and I think his caring nature would translate well to him becoming a doctor. I was originally going to say EMT worker, but I imagine that having a prosthetic leg could hamper his ability to perform on the job.

Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:53 am

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax.

That's so going into my sig dude! :rofl:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:05 am

Hey, don't forget I was the first person who said he'd make a good movie director!

FinH
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FinH » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:34 pm

I can't really see Shinji doing anything remarkable other than settle into some undemanding clerical occupation where he can become part of the furniture. His whole thing is that he's not exceptional in any way and has greatness thrust upon him purely through his connection with Eva 01 via Yui so if the events of ENG hadn't taken place he would have lived as unobtrusively as possible and died with zero fanfare (after the neighbours noticed the smell).

Kensuke would probably end up in some administrative/support post in the military.

I can see Toji successfully managing to start up a small trucking/logistics company, for some reason.

Asuka loves bolstering her self-esteem by being ultra-competitive, belittling others and excelling as an individual in her field so maybe she would go into sales or something.

It's sorta difficult to gauge what sort of person they are out of the context of ENG because the events of that reality/timeline moulded (and some might say warped) them from such an early age. Rei wouldn't even exist, would she? I mean, she was a clone created by necessity for a very specific purpose. Maybe she could become a bookend or a stop sign.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”