Thoughts about Mari

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 am

Mari is a bit, well, distracting. Or at least that's how she seems to me, but I've only watched the first two Rebuilds so far.

Maybe it's the pink Eva. Maybe I'm just worried there aren't enough bananas for another monkey. Or maybe I'm just intimidated by women with glasses because a bespectactled nanny shook me too hard as an infant. Whatever the root cause for my aversion to Mari, I'm fairly confident she'll win me over before the tang settles.

But she really needs to stop sniffing people. That's just rude.
Set phasers to thrill.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 pm

How are you know about the pink Eva if you haven't watched 3.33? Just all the fanart, I assume.

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Fanart, video clips, wikis, all that jazz. I'm pretty lousy about spoiling things for myself. I do kinda like the head design, though. It's a shame about Provisional Unit 05. I fell in love with its wonkiness immediately. :lol:
Set phasers to thrill.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:02 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Silly idea, like really really silly. What if Mari is Shinji and Asuka? Kinda like a fusion of sorts. And like they did the whole traveling back in time thing trying to fix shit and that's why everything is a little different. Like the reason Shikinami is different from Soryu is because they stopped Asuka's mom from committing suicide?

SPOILER: Show
And no, there is no Futa involved Nuke and Chuck :irked:

If there is a body, there is only one soul. Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. And at least, that is funny.

And what if NTE has nothing to do with NGE, as it seems?
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:10 am

That's what we do here, mate. We fanwank things.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:32 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:That's what we do here, mate. We fanwank things.

yeah, I see.....

Let's better start my fanfic about pen Pen being Lillith's soul host :hahaha:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:07 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. And at least, that is funny.

That's going into my sig, pal! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Pen-Pen02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pen-Pen02 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:08 pm

I really think Mari is just a normal person (normal in sense that she's not a traveller in time, alien or something like that... well, she's not so "normal" after all XD, she acts really strange sometimes). Even, I think she's not daughter of Shinji, Asuka or Kaji. She's just another pilot who her parents were working in Gehirn (in this case, I'm sure of that) with the difference she knows more about Nerv secrets than the rest of characters (even Misato, I think so). And I believe in that because in some place (I don't remember where) I think read she wasn't specifically an Anno's creation (that another persons from Anno's studio created her during a brainstorming in his office) and therefore I believe Anno's not connected with this character like with the others (old EVA was a solid story and to introduce another character could have became a headache for Anno).

I don't hate Mari (I like it, she's fine for me) but I think she was just created for merchandising (and this is fine, because a company works precisely for earning money).

Now, Mari is in the show and maybe some fans would want that Anno gives her a "good reason" for her presence in EVA at the end but I personally think this is not necessary. She is fine like she was until now. She doesn't have past, she's an excelent soldier in battle and a good support to Asuka during 14 years (if Mari hadn't been created, Asuka could have been alone and depressed all that time). Even, she is funny sometimes so her rol is complete for me. She doesn't need to show to the audience more things, her rol is enough until now.

I risk to say that Anno didn't know in what direction Mari's character had to walk until the last film was done. Even, I dare to say he was waiting public's reaction after Rebuild 3.0 for giving a final course to Mari. And, in some way, fans will be who give to Mari her final fate in EVA and that's fine. Now, I'm quite sure that Anno knows how he will finish Mari's rol in EVA (And maybe, I think it's possible that Anno will play or joke in the next film with a kind of "attraction" from Mari to Asuka or something like that, but just more fanservice). For now, in Mari we can see the following:

- She's British and, of course, drinks tea
- She loves LCL (I think she could live inside an EVA without problems)
- She loves piloting an EVA
- She loves pink
- She puts a cat face and to say nya-nya, I think so (in conclusion, she's a cat XD)
- She puts nicknames to people
- She lives a carefree life
- She's an excellent EVA pilot (in beast mode and as a sniper)
- She has the curse of EVA (does she has it or simply she can't grow old since before?)
- She knows more than she appears (Because of her parents or she's older than appears?... Were Mari's parents alive before Third Impact?... Does she have a familiar?)

I only could say that she appreciates Asuka and it's not just because they're partners in fight or share a similar european culture. They live together since 14 years ago (I don't say in the same place or room, but who knows) and share the same "curse", so that they're closer. Even, she calls "Princess" to Asuka, a cute nickname (or maybe, this nickname has something hidden). She doesn't call her "Captain" or with an insult XD. Whatever, I think she acts like a young matchmaker and she enjoys when her Princess "suffers" in some way by the Puppy boy. I believe that Mari's happy to think her Princess didn't forget her affection by Puppy-kun despite all the years that have past and she trusts that Asuka could become less bitter now if she forgives Shinji.

And I believe she's not pretending be like she was now. I think she's like she's. Her behaviour it's not a mask for covering that she's a kind of spy or something. I think she doesn't have personal secrets, but I think she has some secrets about Nerv that she doesn't tell because she's protecting to something or someone. Maybe, she's waiting a good moment for doing it (Perhaps Kaji's return with an ace under his sleeve?) And now that Wunder is fine and has a lot of power thanks to EVA01, I believe she could talk to Misato for revealing these secrets... or to Shinji (because it's possible those secrets could bring him some hope, to help him to recover his confidence in himself and to make him feel less guilty).
I just wanna a happy end for Asuka

I only speak Spanish. Sorry for grammatical mistakes in my posts...

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm

That's a lot of words to say britty titty kitty.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Who started this "Britty Titty Kitty" thing? I know what it means, but still. . .
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:20 pm

'Twas none other than Chuckman himself. Either he or Squigsquasher. I forget at this point.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:14 pm

^
It was Chuckman, I think he said it after the baby theory... or was it after discussing Mari's origin in ANIMA? I forget but I definitely remember him saying it.

EDIT: Nevermind it was Squigsquasher
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:21 pm

He appears to be the only one saying it - repeatedly.

I wouldn't call it a "thing"; it is Chuckman's "thing".
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:26 pm

I've decided (for now) that Mari is Shinji's half-sister from an earlier student affair that Gendou had before he met Yui. That's why she's so familiar with him, and why she seems that bit older. The unidentified woman in the photograph can be her mother - Yui accepted his earlier fling, you see, and they were all friends. (Initially posted in an inappropriate thread somewhere.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ThanatosII
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThanatosII » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:29 pm

View Original PostThanatosII wrote:Plot twist: She's Asuka's half sister from Asuka's stepmother and father.

(I don't say that with serious intentions since that would mean she would be much younger than Asuka and since we don't know the status of Asuka's parents...but it's an interesting thought I guess)

As time goes on, I think I'm seriously considering it.
"Understanding each other one hundred percent is impossible.
Of course, that's why we spend so much time trying to understand ourselves and others.
That's what makes life so interesting."
-Kaji Ryoji
"I got confused and I killed my sister... egh I can't help the way that I feel...." - Sorrow
Once you're regularly active on EGF, you get an idea of who is using the "Hidden" feature. Irony, eh?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Mari is confusing enough that I have yet to make any serious guesses about her origins.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:24 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've decided (for now) that Mari is Shinji's half-sister from an earlier student affair that Gendou had before he met Yui. That's why she's so familiar with him, and why she seems that bit older. The unidentified woman in the photograph can be her mother - Yui accepted his earlier fling, you see, and they were all friends. (Initially posted in an inappropriate thread somewhere.)

That's a nice theory, but that would make two long-lost unknown half-sister (three if you count Rei Q), both being Eva pilot and related to Shinji, I think that would be a tad too much and lessen the strength of Rei's connexion to Shinji, especially since NTE insist much more on the half-sibling aspect, notably with Ayanami being Yui's maiden name.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Mari's a Time Lord.

....what? Someone was going to say it eventually. Just thought I'd do us a favor and knock it the hell out of the way.

...seriously, I think the lack of Mari's origin is another play on making her a...not a critique of Mari Sue's (huh...Mari!), but a reflection of them. My personal theory is that this is what Mari is...an outside character shoehorned into the story who is automatically better off on the surface (emotionally, technically, etc.) than the rest of the characters, capable of doing things no one else is, and makes her entrance via airborne insertion.

This doesn't lessen her character to me at all (she is fun!), but I think this is what she is. And the lack of a cohesive origin reinforces that in my head canon.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Does she need an elaborate backstory, especially of the "speshül" variety everyone keeps suggestig? (as opposed to, "something inspiring or traumatizing happened to her back in Brittain to make her slightly loopy" )

Touji and Kensuke don't have one, either; Neither does Rebuild!Asuka. Q gives us as much as "She got involved in the conspiracy via Barette Woman".

You don't know the specifics of everyone in RL either. You have to work with what you witness of their demeanor and attitute to things. Mari IS given sufficient defining moments;

We already know her name's a reference to some other anime, not some fanfiction community inside joke. And why should it be "for us" specifically? Is "Mary Sue" even something in Japan? Aren't there plenty of other things called "Mary"?

It might just be more pointless religious symbolism ("Mari of Bethany") and just as pointless as the rest of it. She doesn't have disproportionate screentime or plot effectiveness copared to say, Asuka or Misato.
Last edited by Kendrix on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:35 pm

To me, Mari simply symbolizes the new side of Evangelion introduced in the films; along with her introduction in Ha, we're met with a variety of other new details that define NTE from the original, such as the Vatican Treaty, the IPEA, the Mark.06, etc. Eventually these changes culminate and lead us to the radically different setting we see in Q. Mari is the curve ball thrown into the equation to add to the mystery and bring the story into new territory; her backstory is unimportant because she exists only as an X factor.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”