How did Shinji safely rescue Asuka?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Matas
Embryo

How did Shinji safely rescue Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Matas » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 am

I always feel like I miss something but every time I rewatch Eva I can never seem to figure out how Shinji and unit-01 safely descend into the magma in episode 10 without the fat suit thing and rescues Asuka and unit-02 . Shouldn't there have been repercussions?
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Matas

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:48 am

AT Field magic or something. We can handwave about it only being for a short period and not so deep (so pressures weren't so extreme).

But yeah, I was expecting that this was going to be where that annoying character who only gets like about 2 frames in the OP was going to bite the big one, and cue in a lot of Shinji angst at least to the half-way point of the series.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:42 pm

The power of being a main character. :lol:

I guess there's no real explanation except the screenplay. There must be a way to solve the climax and most of the time directors take the easy way out. (best example is Dragonball Z / YuGiOh!)

A similar question would be: "Why do the Angel don't attack all at once" or "What was Kaworu's plan". Yeah there's probably a way to fanwank something, but still, it remains a plot whole / weakness in the script.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Well, it's fairly easy to explain : EVA-02 was close enough to the surface that Shinji could dive to save Asuka with his AT Field at maximum power to protect him.

The main issue with the operation to capture Sandalphon was that it was too deep for an Eva to go in there and back with just an AT Field, hence the special suit for both EVA-02 and Asuka. She just got lucky/was skilled enough to ward off Sandalphon enough time to be on a depth reachable by EVA-01.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 pm

The power of love.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:AT Field magic or something. We can handwave about it only being for a short period and not so deep (so pressures weren't so extreme).

Quoted for accuracy. From what I know about diving and density, if Shinji were at a high enough depth for a short enough amount of time, if you took ATF magic into account, it's more than feasible that he would have survived.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:41 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:AT Field magic or something. We can handwave about it only being for a short period and not so deep (so pressures weren't so extreme).

Pretty much. I've always sort of assumed Shinji's in a lot of unseen pain in this scene, though.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Shinji was wearing an Eva. Also a lot of plot armor.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Coldwire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Coldwire » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:01 am

Yeah, never quite understood that. I mean, they made unit 02 wear this ridiculous suit to endure the mission and then Shinji dives like it's a piece of cake.
I could hide familiar in my pain
serve my sorrows in vain
or I could step right outside
and show you that I'm alive
I'll leave you behind...

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:34 am

View Original PostColdwire wrote:Yeah, never quite understood that. I mean, they made unit 02 wear this ridiculous suit to endure the mission and then Shinji dives like it's a piece of cake.

It's fairly simple actually : EVA-02 had to wear the big diving suit because she was sent at a depth of hundred of meters(too much for an AT Field to resist) in molten lava for at least 10-12 minutes, and when Shinji dived to rescue her, she was close to the surface, so his AT Field at maximum output was enough to protect him during the few seconds he was in the lava.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:57 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The power of love.

^ this and that plot armor :lol:
lord Ikari solo's all less-er beings
----------------------------------------
MY OTP:
~hardcore Shinji/Asuka shipper`
-LAS 4 life-

Alpha
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alpha » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It's fairly simple actually : EVA-02 had to wear the big diving suit because she was sent at a depth of hundred of meters(too much for an AT Field to resist) in molten lava for at least 10-12 minutes, and when Shinji dived to rescue her, she was close to the surface, so his AT Field at maximum output was enough to protect him during the few seconds he was in the lava.

^This.
I love how the more in-universe feasible answer is ignored for the sake of making it out as a big plothole.
This is what nature planned. This is nature's sacrifice.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 am

Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”