From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:11 pm

View Original PostAsukaner117 wrote:Take the cast from the original Star Trek: Enterprise series and replace them with our beloved heroes. I think the chemistry between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is a great foundation. Replace Kirk with Shinji, Spock with Rei and McCoy with Asuka, add cool Starships, great dialog with cutting irony and bizarre Space Aliens. Sounds like a entertaining read in my ears :D

Stupid Shinji, I'm a Doctor not a metaphysicist! :lol:
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Better idea: Kaji, Ritsuko, and Misato as Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (respectively); Shinji can be Chekhov, Asuka can be Sulu, and Rei is all of the redshirts.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 pm

View Original PostAsukaner117 wrote: Replace Kirk with Shinji...

Gendo: Shinji, get in the Orion.

Shinji: Is...is that another starship?

Gendo: No.

(Silence)

I have to go with Atropos' set-up. Though, being a fiend for Star Trek: DS9 (yeah, yeah...), I could see another set-up like that: Federation space station around a nasty corner of space, having to monitor and dissuade certain unruly entities that have been coming out and making things unpleasant for everyone. Throw in some Romulans for shenanigans. You're two for two so far, Asukaner!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Asukaner117
Adam

Postby Asukaner117 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:22 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:Better idea: Kaji, Ritsuko, and Misato as Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (respectively); Shinji can be Chekhov, Asuka can be Sulu, and Rei is all of the redshirts.

Gob Hobblin wrote:I have to go with Atropos' set-up. Though, being a fiend for Star Trek: DS9 (yeah, yeah...), I could see another set-up like that: Federation space station around a nasty corner of space, having to monitor and dissuade certain unruly entities that have been coming out and making things unpleasant for everyone. Throw in some Romulans for shenanigans.

I think that whould also do the trick. But everytime i see McCoy i cant help but think of Asuka :D :D

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:You're two for two so far, Asukaner!

What does that mean?
God's in his heaven all's right with the world

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:52 pm

^

Two story ideas, one after the other, that I liked. :D
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original PostAsukaner117 wrote:Another silly idea i just had :ting: :

Take the cast from the original Star Trek: Enterprise series and replace them with our beloved heroes. I think the chemistry between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is a great foundation. Replace Kirk with Shinji, Spock with Rei and McCoy with Asuka, add cool Starships, great dialog with cutting irony and bizarre Space Aliens. Sounds like a entertaining read in my ears :D

Add Kaworu as Sulu and you have my attention. :nyao:

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Anyone ever wrote a fic where SEELE are actually in the right?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Anyone ever wrote a fic where SEELE are actually in the right?

That would be a tough sell given that they're pretty much objectively wrong unless you hew closely to a very particular reading of the broadcast version of the show.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Come to think of it, I'd switch in Asuka for Chekov. As for a (semi-)original idea:

The man in black fled across the desert, and Gendo followed.

This wouldn't actually be a crossover, but Stephen King's classic line is apt. In the wake of an abortive Third Impact, Gendo Ikari roams the wastelands in search of a man he knows only by name: Ryoji Kaji. As he wanders, he encounters massive undead leviathans (the beasts born of Third Impact), bands of scavengers (including some familiar faces), and three otherworldly children who despise him (the main trio, pulling a Peggy Sue).

Gemini011
Adam

Postby Gemini011 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:37 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:The man in black fled across the desert, and Gendo followed.

This wouldn't actually be a crossover, but Stephen King's classic line is apt. In the wake of an abortive Third Impact, Gendo Ikari roams the wastelands in search of a man he knows only by name: Ryoji Kaji. As he wanders, he encounters massive undead leviathans (the beasts born of Third Impact), bands of scavengers (including some familiar faces), and three otherworldly children who despise him (the main trio, pulling a Peggy Sue).

I'd read it, if executed even semi-competently. The potential for interesting Gendo-characterization alone would be a pretty strong draw.
Interviewer: How much rewriting do you do?
Hemingway: It depends. I rewrote the ending of Farewell to Arms, the last page of it, 39 times before I was satisfied.
Interviewer: Was there some technical problem there? What was it that had stumped you?
Hemingway: Getting the words right.

It could be just me but I'd rather watch two damaged people help each other stand up than an over-idealized kisskisslovelove sugarbowl. The former has far more "d'awwww" potential.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:57 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That would be a tough sell given that they're pretty much objectively wrong unless you hew closely to a very particular reading of the broadcast version of the show.

Take it up with Tines. :tongue: There's really no other way to read his opinion that Shinji's abortion of "the singularity" was a mistake than for the alternative (which Seele clearly wanted) to be right.

Speaking of which, to answer amitakartok, I vaguely recall said Tines having written works which take Seele's rightness as a given. I vaguely recall one where someone is sent back in time or to another instance of the Eva-verse or something like that to "make sure the Singularity goes right this time".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:12 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Take it up with Tines. :tongue: There's really no other way to read his opinion that Shinji's abortion of "the singularity" was a mistake than for the alternative (which Seele clearly wanted) to be right.

See "very particular reading of the broadcast version of the show." Both he and NemZ are speaking exclusively in that context, since it's indefensible given the way Instrumentality is spelled out in EoE. They are also both notably of the opinion that the two endings are incommensurable, meaning that EoE and everything in it (along with the DC edits of the show) is essentially not canon for the purposes of their argument.

Speaking of which, to answer amitakartok, I vaguely recall said Tines having written works which take Seele's rightness as a given. I vaguely recall one where someone is sent back in time or to another instance of the Eva-verse or something like that to "make sure the Singularity goes right this time".

Right, but said singularity is very different from the entity Seele's proposing to create in EoE/NGE2. It's a singularity in the classic SF sense of the term, not in the rarefied sense Anno's using in the show.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:12 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I vaguely recall said Tines having written works which take Seele's rightness as a given. I vaguely recall one where someone is sent back in time or to another instance of the Eva-verse or something like that to "make sure the Singularity goes right this time".
Taking Gendo's rightness as a given, rather, with the TV end being the "Gendo Good End" (my reaction after having been bludgeoned by EoE). SEELE are doing it wrong in all the relevent fics.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:45 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Right, but said singularity is very different from the entity Seele's proposing to create in EoE/NGE2. It's a singularity in the classic SF sense of the term, not in the rarefied sense Anno's using in the show.

Well, when you think about it, SEELE's HIP in the Rebuild looks much more like the classic SF Singularity : transforming the mortal Lilin into immortal beings by giving them a Fruit of Life.

In that context, a fic with SEELE being right, or at least having a valid alternative to the current state of mankind, is more possible.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:07 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, when you think about it, SEELE's HIP in the Rebuild looks much more like the classic SF Singularity : transforming the mortal Lilin into immortal beings by giving them a Fruit of Life.

I don't think we know enough to really speculate about their plan in NTE.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 am

Quick question: I found myself with the option to keep Shamshel as a recurring character instead of killing her off early on. What do you guys say, should I go for it?

The choices and their consequences:
  • Killed off: Zeruel calls her a weakling for getting herself killed but inside, he's very much bothered by her passing (tsundere, much?). Later, he finds put that Leliel deliberately left Shamshel to die as retaliation against Shamshel talking down to her and pretty much goes ballistic, as this is the fourth time now that he had been humiliated as an Angel.
  • Survives: everybody but Zeruel calls Shamshel a coward for running away and Leliel takes great delight in reminding Shamshel that she owes her life to Leliel now. Later, Shamshel's continued presence is pretty much the only thing keeping Zeruel from devolving into a vengeance-crazed berserker after he gets his ass handed to him by Unit-01.

Which of these should I take?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

CommodoreNemo
Adam

Postby CommodoreNemo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Evangelion

In SPAACE! :D

With Pirates.

Think of it as the Eva characters in a universe that is a mash up of Eva, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop and Mouretsu Space Pirates.
You could put in PotC too I suppose, with Kaji as Captain Jack.
Hate, what do you know about hate!

What would your good do if evil didn't exist, and what would the earth look like if all the shadows disappeared?
After all, shadows are cast by things and people. Here is the shadow of my sword. But shadows also come from trees and living beings. Do you want to strip the earth of all trees and living things just because of your fantasy of enjoying naked light?

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 am

I'll repeat what I said in the "Epsiodes You Would Have Liked" thread.

Ghost of Squigsquasher Past wrote:A Christmas Special, featuring the characters doing a nativity play (with Asuka as the virgin Mary, Shinji as Joseph/Mary's personal conveyence in lieu of a donkey, Rei as the angel Reibriel, Gendo as the evil king (what was his name again? My Biblical knowledge is a little lacking), Touji, Kensuke and Hikari as the 2 "wise" men and 1 clued-up woman, and Pen-Pen as the baby Jesus. Waark!)

A 4th-wall breaking "Making of End of Evangelion" where EoE is revealed as a film/vanity project made by NERV to increase funds following the end of the series, complete with blooper reel, behind-the-scenes, and interviews with the characters (including a rant by Shinji and Asuka on the hospital scene).

A Yui POV episode. Everyone's favourite mecha mummy finally gets her voice heard.

All incredibly silly of course.

Also, a Warhammer 40,000/Evangelion crossover fic would be awesome- that is, a much more serious one than Shinji and Warhammer 40K. The basic plot could be that midway through the series, a far greater threat than the Angels descends upon Tokyo-3: A warp rift opens in the sky, and the dread powers of Chaos turn their baleful eyes upon the city. NERV must defend against the Black Legion, swarms of daemons, and worst of all, Chaos-mutated Angels. There could be multiple endings, each with a different one of the children (we might even add Mari for the sake of it) falling to the Ruinous Powers- Shinji can take the voices in his head no longer and gives himself to Tzeentch, believing the Changer of Ways can guide his way, Asuka is overcome with rage and dedicates herself to Khorne, seeking the destruction of all "mortals", Rei realizes the futility of her existence and becomes a servant of Nurgle, deciding that only through the Plaguefather can she find a meaningful, definite existence, seeing the eternal life and immunity to pain that Nurgle offers and becoming a vessel of contagion in the process, Mari is tempted by the whispers of Slaanesh and surrenders to excess and debauchery, and Kaworu is possessed by a daemonic entity, and despite his strength of will even he cannot prevent it from taking him over entirely.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:08 am

Alright, I just had another screwy idea.

Suppose the plan to carpet-nuke Leliel is carried out and the Angel croaks from it. Suppose Shinji is declared missing, presumed lost, SEELE goes ahead with their plans anyway and Third Impact goes wrong, failing to achieve a permanent Instrumentality AND knocking humanity back into the stone age in the process. Trick is, Shinji did indeed get spit out by Leliel during the Angel's death throes... six thousand years into the future, a time where Evas are considered to be possible god-figures of an obscure pagan mythology no one believes in any more.

What would be the ramifications of him appearing there and then, sitting inside something modern science says most likely never existed? How would he react to the knowledge that everyone he had ever known and all their descendants are long dead, with no convenient lookalike to pander to his comfort zone either? Would fears that he would bring back the mythical Red Apocalypse merely by his presence be unfounded, especially as the Angels start to attack again as they now mistake Unit 01 for Adam?

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Shinji can take the voices in his head no longer and gives himself to Tzeentch, believing the Changer of Ways can guide his way, Asuka is overcome with rage and dedicates herself to Khorne, seeking the destruction of all "mortals", Rei realizes the futility of her existence and becomes a servant of Nurgle, deciding that only through the Plaguefather can she find a meaningful, definite existence, seeing the eternal life and immunity to pain that Nurgle offers and becoming a vessel of contagion in the process

Seek out Thousand Shinji and tremble. It has all of these, except Shinji falling to Chaos by despair: he gives himself to the Ruinous Powers by his own free will after getting mentored by a dying Chaos Sorcerer who somehow ended up in the Evaverse, Rei follows his example when Iruel tries to infect her and Asuka spontaneously becomes a Khornate Berzerker without even realizing it at first. Then it turns out that the Chaos Gods plus the God Emperor orchestrated the whole thing right from the start and if I recall, Shinji even decks the Emperor for keeping him in the dark.

Two words: Mama Reigle. I was like :vomit:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 am

^
Worst, they didn't just fell into the Chaos powers,
SPOILER: Show
they literally became the Evaverse version of the four Chaos Gods : Shinji becomes the new Tzeench, Asuka the new Khorne, Rei the new Nurgle and Misato... the new Slaanesh!

:cringe:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Fanfiction”