[Merch] Evangelion Merchandise 2, or, Why Do I Keep Buying Things!?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 pm

I would hope that he's amused. The keychain is kinda cute, and it doesn't look that offensive... :lol:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Been uber busy, but here's my Eva haul from FanimeCon 2 months ago. Non-Eva portion is here.

Swap meet:

Full set of Collection Figure Seaside (got all for $36)

Korean notebook, Rei & Asuka gashapon, Vol. 8 JP ver., Eva-01 UFO catcher, 2009 Summer Movie Figure Guide (Eva has the most page lol).

Single chapter versions of the manga

Artwork:
Print by James Ghio/Jimbobox
Commission by Ghio
Print by Siyuan Zhou/Kyuriin
Sketch by Takami Akai (formerly of Gainax)
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 pm

I forget if I have Volume 8 Japanese version somewhere up North or if I sold it/threw it in as a giveaway item.

Love all the artwork, especially the logic "it's not Asuka if it's not red!" :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Good picking up on that, Akai specifically added red because he explained that it wasn't Asuka otherwise. :asuka_thumbsup:
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Eva x 7-Eleven? I think there were collaborations before (I might be thinking of Lawsons) but I guess this could be pre-Eva: Final hype. Maybe? Probably just more merchandise or Eva racing or what have you, but figured I'd pass this on.

Nico Nico link: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv187725150

Minna no Eva Fan link: http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3199.html

ANN info here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-08-06/7-eleven-offers-giant-evangelion-figure-for-slurpee-fans/.77370

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:24 pm

Sadamoto manga commuter pass: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/08/16/045/

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 pm

To my home have arrived both volumes of Petit Eva and the game for DS, which provides the ending.

BEST

SPIN OFF

BY FAR
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:49 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:To my home have arrived both volumes of Petit Eva and the game for DS, which provides the ending.

I've read the Petit Eva manga and absolutely loved it! I have the two volumes by Ryusuke Hamamoto, and the other one by Maki Oozora. The Ryusuke Hamamoto continuity is the best (and I got to meet him last year! He's so nice!), but Maki Oozora's continuity is still cute. But I haven't heard much about the video game, and I certainly didn't know that it provides the ending! Do you have any information on what happens in the game that you'd like to share? It's so hard to find people who are familiar with Petit Eva outside of the animated series!
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Only seen the animated series (and own(ed) some of the figures), but I'm pretty interested in the manga myself. I've heard the game has some kind of LAS path ending (and saw screenshots recently, naturally I've forgotten where).

I'm always up for cuteness mixed with Eva, so please, do share! :asuka_thumbsup:

Were they ever translated/bought over Stateside, or Japanese-only? Fine by me, as long as there's furigana...

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:54 am

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:I've read the Petit Eva manga and absolutely loved it! I have the two volumes by Ryusuke Hamamoto, and the other one by Maki Oozora. The Ryusuke Hamamoto continuity is the best (and I got to meet him last year! He's so nice!), but Maki Oozora's continuity is still cute. But I haven't heard much about the video game, and I certainly didn't know that it provides the ending! Do you have any information on what happens in the game that you'd like to share? It's so hard to find people who are familiar with Petit Eva outside of the animated series!

The REAL (it's not a very accurate word, I know it) continuity is Hamamoto's. It's where every piece of merchandise comes from. Oozora's is an spin off inside an spin off. Even the animated series is based on Hamamoto's design. The game just gives us more stories about Petit Eva but provides us an ending. I know it's unusual that a game is based on a manga and not the anime, but that's the case. Well, knowing the anime......It's better this way. Gendo Dressed as a maid was funny in the manga, but again in the anime :lol:

And there is no LAS path.......IT'S THE ONLY ENDING, this is not a date sim. So enjoy

THE CREDITS

Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:02 am

Aww, so adorable! :heart: Thanks for sharing, Jäeger! If I may ask something else... actually, I'll put it in a spoiler box, since it mentions something from the end of the Petit Eva manga...

SPOILER: Show
So does this game actually take place after the end of the manga, when the Nerv school and the Angel school were merged? Also, are there any good Kaworu parts in the game? :D

In answer to Sailor Star Dust's question, sadly the Petit Eva manga is not available in English (not yet, anyway... hopefully Dark Horse or somebody else will change that in the future). However, it is available in French (this is the version that I read), and the Japanese version has furigana.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 am

I am amazed Kensuke wasn't brutally murdered for that.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:

How can a series about accepting yourself, overcoming depression and finding purpose in life
turn into a happy-go-lucky chibi thing?

Those marketing guys are pretty smart...

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:51 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:How can a series about accepting yourself, overcoming depression and finding purpose in life
turn into a happy-go-lucky chibi thing?

Those marketing guys are pretty smart...

The funny thing is that being a parody makes Petit closer to the source material than any other spin off. I cannot understand why crap like Campus Apocalypse or Shinji Ikari detective have been translated and this jewel keeps being Japanese only (except the expensive french releases)

It seems I was wrong and the game is not the ending. It was released in 2008, and the manga was published from may 2007 to 2009. So this is the chronology. We could say that the game takes place between both volumes

- March 2007, Petit Eva ONA. Based on Hamamoto's designs, it has no story at all. Just a collection of slaptick and surreal gags. Not much in common with the manga except design and the initial settling. The same world, but different direction. It could be said that is a parody of the parody.

- May 2007. Beginning Of the manga, this is the main dish. It develops its own story

- 2008 The game is released. IT CONTINUES THE MANGA.

- 2009 The manga ends

ONE OF MY FAVOURITES

GUESS WHO IS BACK

Take a look to the starry night, shippers -o-;

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Jäeger wrote:The funny thing is that being a parody makes Petit closer to the source material than any other spin off. I cannot understand why crap like Campus Apocalypse or Shinji Ikari detective have been translated and this jewel keeps being Japanese only (except the expensive french releases)

Personally, I liked Campus Apocalypse (although it's a shame that the ending had to be rushed). But yeah, The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary was a mess, especially Gendo's nonsensical plan... Petit Eva was definitely better than that.

Jäeger wrote:It seems I was wrong and the game is not the ending. It was released in 2008, and the manga was published from may 2007 to 2009. So this is the chronology. We could say that the game takes place between both volumes

Cool, thanks for clearing that up! Although if the game really takes place between the two manga volumes, then I guess that despite the game's apparent LAS ending, the continuity's actual ending doesn't seem so strongly committed to a particular ship... I'll put this in a spoiler box just in case...

Shinji and Asuka aren't a couple in the second volume of the manga. However, when Mana Kirishima shows up, Asuka acts jealous whenever Mana gets close to Shinji. Overall, the manga has some LAS hinting, some KawoShin stuff, and a tiny bit of LRS. And yeah, some moments with Mana and Shinji, although his final interaction with her is not a positive one. There's a little something for everyone, and it's a really cute and funny manga.

I think it's a very enjoyable read, regardless of one's shipping tastes. Romance isn't the main point of the manga, and it doesn't need to be. It's super fun just the way it is!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 am

Heh, I just might pick those up if I ever visit the SF Kinokuniya or NYC one (haven't been to the latter yet). Glad to hear you enjoy it!

But that reminds me that I have the Japanese versions of Campus Apocalypse, read 'em once, and now dunno what to do with them... -o-; I enjoyed that it was like Eva meets Persona, and felt it was done well.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:

Is that bespectacled chick with the brown jacked on the background of some images Mari?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:Personally, I liked Campus Apocalypse (although it's a shame that the ending had to be rushed). But yeah, The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary was a mess, especially Gendo's nonsensical plan... Petit Eva was definitely better than that.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up! Although if the game really takes place between the two manga volumes, then I guess that despite the game's apparent LAS ending, the continuity's actual ending doesn't seem so strongly committed to a particular ship... I'll put this in a spoiler box just in case...

Shinji and Asuka aren't a couple in the second volume of the manga. However, when Mana Kirishima shows up, Asuka acts jealous whenever Mana gets close to Shinji. Overall, the manga has some LAS hinting, some KawoShin stuff, and a tiny bit of LRS. And yeah, some moments with Mana and Shinji, although his final interaction with her is not a positive one. There's a little something for everyone, and it's a really cute and funny manga.

I think it's a very enjoyable read, regardless of one's shipping tastes. Romance isn't the main point of the manga, and it doesn't need to be. It's super fun just the way it is!

Uhmmm, I cannot 100% agree with you. Petit Eva has a very Ranma 1/2 vibe (just talking about the idea and settlings, it's not a very accurate example). It's a comedy, not a romantic comedy, but it doesn't hide which is the "official" couple. The game ending may not be the final ending, but in how many manga/anime comedies have we seen the protagonists close to kissing/confessing and in the end the series ends in a comic (not romantic) way?? It's just how manga/anime comedy language is. Kaworu and Manas's moments, in most cases, are just for infuriating Asuka and in kaworu's case, also to make fun of Shinji's obliviousness to his real intentions XDDDD. And as I've said, the game is not a date sim, it's an story in the manga continuity filled with mini games, as it has been seen in others franchises. There are no paths, not choices, it will end in only possible way and pays only attention to Shinji And Asuka. The others are, well, secondary characters. If they had named the game "the adventures of Shinji and Asuka" it wouldn't be out of place.

Don't get me wrong, Im not into shipping, it how the manga is. I'm saying all this to make people not believe that this is a romantic comedy. It's a comedy, which hints obviously which is the official couple and make jokes about jealous involving kaworu and Mana (the Ayanami sisters -a child, an airhead and a creepy one- role is out of this purpouse). But it's a secondary aspect (more important in the game, because the 4koma format is a big limit), not like Angelic Days or IS Raising project (which, despite being very funny, it's so much inspired by Love Hina's cliches and Soryu's behavior is so much a carbon copy of Naru's that is a bit surreal). So, not love triangles or dodecahedrons, only one way hints and jokes about jealous, but as a secondary aspect. As I stated before, closer to a Ranma 1/2 concept of comedy, a very classical one. There is no possible shipping, because only one potential couple is hinted, the other characters are only for teasing. The game makes it even clearer.

About Campus Apocalypse I despise that manga because it feels like they had a script and the changed the characters to evangelion Inc. to sell the more the better. And detective...let's better don't talk about it. Petit Eva is a parody, Angelic Days and Raising project are adaptation inspired by Ep 26 AU, Anima is a what if?? But the others?? The cheapest example of milking the cash cow I've ever seen.

Is that bespectacled chick with the brown jacked on the background of some images Mari?

Yes, she is

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I don't know, something feels a bit odd to me. Don't get me wrong, if the game has only one path then I completely agree that it's LAS (and very cute LAS at that... super adorable! :heart: ). But if the game is so blatant about this, with the almost-kiss and the hearts and the other characters seeming to know about it, then why is the second volume of the manga not more direct about this? Yeah, there's still a bit of LAS hinting in there (mainly with Asuka acting jealous whenever Mana gets close to Shinji), but not to the same degree that the game seems to show. I understand that it's a comedy and not a romantic-comedy, but it still feels a bit weird. Also, it's not just about the LAS... what about Mari? The second volume of the manga introduces her, and the other characters don't know who she is. But if Mari is in the game, even posing with the others for a group photo, then how can it be that the game takes place between the two manga volumes? :???:

I wonder if we're missing something here? Is there any possibility that the video game is actually it's own separate continuity, albeit one heavily based on the Hamamoto manga because it uses the same designs except for Mari's outfit? (Which would mean that there are four separate Petit Eva continuities... yowza.) Or maybe the video game and the second volume of the manga both use the first volume as a starting point, but then take the story in different directions? (Similar to how End of Evangelion and ANIMA both use the original anime series as a starting point, and then follow very different paths.) I don't know, I'm just guessing since I don't know enough about the game to say for sure.

By the way, thanks again for sharing all these pictures and information with us. I love Petit Eva, and I'm always happy to learn more!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Isn't it the case of the game and the manga being done by different people so they took it in different directions?

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”