Do you want FINAL to be it or do you want a new show?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:08 pm

View Original PostChroma wrote:An OVA would be very nice, focusing on just about anything that isn't Shinji himself. The world of Rebuild has so much to explore - especially after Q, and an OVA or an OVA series of 3 or so episodes to close things up would be lovely.

i 2nd this!
ive heard people complain that without Shinji, evangelion is pointless or wont work, bullshit, Misato, mari, Asuka, ritsuko & gendo during the time skip would be more than enough to make up for him.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Considering a lot of the haters of the original series say the biggest issue the original series had was Shinji, an OVA or two season series without him would be exactly what they wanted.

Anyways, I don't really care either way. All I ask is that Final give Shinji a modestly happy ending, or y'know, at least one where he doesn't spend the rest of his life in a padded cell.

If its a happy ending, then maybe I'll be interested in this theoretical OVA/Spinoff series.

But if Final isn't a happy ending? I'm probably going to have to go on a long sabbatical from all things Eva before I'll be interested.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:25 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Considering a lot of the haters of the original series say the biggest issue the original series had was Shinji,

The Western haters, Japanese audience tends to like him more.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:31 pm

^
Yeah but that doesn't mean that there are not Japanese haters Good Sir, I imagine there has to be at least a few Japanese people who despise him.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:20 pm

^
Of course there are also Japanese haters of Shinji, but they didn't seemed to me to be as numerous and vocal than the Western haters.

Well at least that's how I saw it.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:39 pm

That's all right; they can watch Gundam and get the girls!
Last edited by pwhodges on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Oh :lol: I took what you said to mean that there are only Western haters, sorry bro.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:17 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
Who's to say that the Asuka seen in 3.0 isn't Soryu? :devil:

Ultimate revelation! *inception buuuurp*
Could be possible if you consider the bardiel accident. Omg LAS confirmed. Also the "Princess"-line from Mari makes even more sense. And Shinji is the space jesus super prince (consider Kaworu's line about the King of the Lilin - Gendou).
Okay ... we got it. I gonna try to summon Chuckman to get a affirmative "roger - roger". :devil:

I would want a Redeconstruction of Evangelion in 12 years. Something that revolves around Shinji/Misato or Shinji/Ritsuko (even better Shinji/Kaji) with an 66-years old Anno who wants to make a final FINAL Evangelion. Just like Studio Ghibli with Miyazaki (which looks btw. like old Anno). A spin-off? God please no. God. No. NOOOOOOO. Let fans do this shit ... they are better in writing this stuff. Really! If Anno don't direct it ... keep your fingers Studio Khara!

View Original PostRay wrote:Considering a lot of the haters of the original series say the biggest issue the original series had was Shinji, an OVA or two season series without him would be exactly what they wanted.
Anyways, I don't really care either way. All I ask is that Final give Shinji a modestly happy ending, or y'know, at least one where he doesn't spend the rest of his life in a padded cell.
If its a happy ending, then maybe I'll be interested in this theoretical OVA/Spinoff series.
But if Final isn't a happy ending? I'm probably going to have to go on a long sabbatical from all things Eva before I'll be interested.

Join the club! A 4-parts OVA about the timeskip or the time-loop mechanics ... arguable. Anno did already jumped over the shark with 3.0. We might get it? Happy ending ... that would be great yeah. *fanwank some shit*
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:40 pm

^
I've got different explanation for the whole "Princess" nickname :devil:

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
I've got different explanation for the whole "Princess" nickname :devil:

I know, man. But i said if Asuka (even if she don't end up with Shinji in final) going to ship for the same gender. I will dedicated my life to KawoShin and literally kill myself (and not because im homophobic - but rather because it doesn't suit Asuka at all).
:chinscratch:

Everything except that. But Anno wouldn't suprise me at all could you believe that?

I might like the idea of a yuri-14yearsbetween-spin-off with this "Kiss my ass"-joke where Mari kisses her butt cheek. Haha, funny.

Actually that i think about FINAL. I got this strange idea that Anno actually really planning on make up some "eva-without eva spin off" or something like that. A spinoff ... god. We argue about Evangelion for soooo long ... and still it isn't over.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:10 pm

^
I know, it's amazing how long the fandom has been arguing over shit, it's mind boggling. I bet Anno's going to make it go on forever with Final not actually answering any of our questions. We're all going to be in retirement homes still arguing about this shit :lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:53 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:We're all going to be in retirement homes still arguing about this shit :lol:

Will you come and visit me? I doubt there'll be anyone else there who's even heard of it!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm

^
Of course Good Sir :pet: Of course

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 pm

As much as I love Evangelion, I hope that Final is just that: final.

Mainly because Anno is too awesome to be stuck doing Evangelion. I'd rather see him do something different.

*fingers crossed for Rebuild of Kare Kano* :lol:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:37 am

I was fine with having nothing more than the original series. I certainly don't need more Eva after ENT is finished.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:35 pm

You might not need it, but is it something that you would welcome should it be announced?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Only if Final fails to deliver the goods.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:46 pm

I don't see the point, honestly. Eva's about Shinji and his rocky journey to maturity; a series about the timeship has nothing to add to that, so it would be pretty pointless. I wouldn't mind it, of course, but it would be nothing more than an indulgence. As such I can't see Anno wasting his time with it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:12 pm

^
Well, from what little we saw of the characters of WILLE, there was probably a lot of very interesting character interaction during the time skip.
Just to see how Misato got colder to what we saw in Q, or Asuka waking up to discover that everything got turned on its head and learned to trust Mari, and the latter getting over her "lone wolf" tendencies would be very interesting and worthy that Anno taking time to explore it.

That would be a refreshing change from the story of "lonely boy with self-esteem issues learn to love himself and open his heart (and ears!) to others". Not that Shinji's story isn't interesting mind you.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:14 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That would be a refreshing change from the story of "lonely boy with self-esteem issues learn to love himself and open his heart (and ears!) to others". Not that Shinji's story isn't interesting mind you.

Yes, but it wouldn't be Eva. It would be a story told using Eva's props, but it wouldn't be Eva. Hence, no interest from Anno.

I didn't say it wasn't an interesting idea, mind. Just noting why it won't happen.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”