-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: -46h (GENERAL)

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 am

Look at the second pic. This implies Asuka has a scar underneath her hair even in Shin. Interesting.

Nuke on EGFD says it's a craniotomy scar.

They had to remove the angel goo from her brain!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 10, 2023 10:51 am

Hi, hello, yeah that's sorta what it says. But here's what MORE of it says.
The tweet wrote:Underneath the bandage is a buzz cut and a craniotomy scar. Conceals wound but heavily hints at it.

Also the clasp on the bandage doubles as a receiver, and her new hairstyle is described as "A marriage of half twintails (short) and half bandage wrapping".

Also for Midori, her hair is described as partially "corified" and "like it has coal tar stuck to it", or "like it's transforming into something".

Half-twintail Asuka, my beloved...

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed May 10, 2023 11:01 am

-46h storyboards
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 10, 2023 3:58 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Look at the second pic. This implies Asuka has a scar underneath her hair even in Shin. Interesting.

SPOILER: Show

Nuke on EGFD says it's a craniotomy scar.

They had to remove the angel goo from her brain!

Personally I think that this scar might from when they implanted that mini-sealing pillar in her head, alongside all the medical apparatus to eject it if the need arise.
Still, it's darkly funny how after being mauled alive by Unit 01, her only scar if from an operation done after said mauling.

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:

-46h storyboards

Interesting, the FoIs were originally supposed to be headless from the beginning (I suppose that it was changed to have a head that fall soon after so it would be clearer that they are at Unit 01's image), and we were supposed to have a shot of Mari in full heavy jet pilot gear. (but that would mean not having Top Gun Mari, so that change was for the best)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed May 10, 2023 9:41 pm

Top gun Mari is a fun design for sure
-46h storyboards pt 2

EDIT:
couple more. the last 9 sets were Maeda's storyboards, these next 3 are Matsubara's

Last ones are interesting. Seems somewhere along the line they were planning on portraying Midori's family on screen.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 11, 2023 4:34 am

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Last ones are interesting. Seems somewhere along the line they were planning on portraying Midori's family on screen.

I really want to know what the dialogues said.

In the last storyboards, it's interesting that Midori seems to be holding the hand of one of her parents(?), who seems very badly hurt. In -46h, Midori mentioned her parents "turned red", implying they were killed by the corification.

Midori seems to have her bag at that point, so she and her parent may were escaping from the corification.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 11, 2023 6:40 am

Here's the dialogue in that last set of storyboards.

The last set of storyboards wrote:78
I'll tell you the name...

Of the person who did this to the world.
If I don't get one last good punch in on him...

It's never going to sit right with me.

So you have to...

MEMORY

Survive.

KARAOKE

DAD

MOM

PINK

SHOPPING AT SUPERMARKET

Survive.

Who're you callin' stinky?!

n/a

MOUTH MOVEMENT

Survive.

*THIS ONE SPOKEN BY MOM

TOTAL SOLITUDE, LOST EVERYTHING

COVERING FACE WITH HANDS

Survive.

DAD

MOM

KITAKAMI SCREAM

(loud wail)

Asuka'S VOICE CUTTING THROUGH DARK

You have to fight.

[I can barely read this section. It's chicken scratch of chicken scratch. Sorry.]

ADULT KITAKAMI

PINK HAIR BLOWN BY WIND

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 11, 2023 1:50 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Here's the dialogue in that last set of storyboards.

View Original PostThe last set of storyboards wrote:If I don't get one last good punch in on him...

It's never going to sit right with me.

With this line of dialogue, it really looks like back then Asuka still believed that Shinji could still come back, maybe Unit 01 hadn't been yet sent to space?

Those lines also ties well with -120min, when she reiterated that she would punch him if she meet him again, and also the fact that she seemed to briefly hesitate when she said that Shinji was gone for good, hinting that it took her a long time to accept it. (-120min might even be the first one she says it out loud)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Thu May 11, 2023 3:41 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:With this line of dialogue, it really looks like back then Asuka still believed that Shinji could still come back, maybe Unit 01 hadn't been yet sent to space?

The tesseract always had Neo Nerv branding which is exclusively a post-post-Third Impact thing, and -46h happens only within days of it.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 11, 2023 5:43 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:The tesseract always had Neo Nerv branding which is exclusively a post-post-Third Impact thing, and -46h happens only within days of it.

Well, there's the possibility that the box containing the trap with the Mark.04 drone was added to the tesseract after it was sent to space: if it was still in SEELE/neo-NERV's possession after Third Impact, it wouldn't make sense for them to send it to space, since they needed to bring back Shinji so he could pilot with Kaworu and break the seal to lilith's Chamber.

AlphaZero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaZero » Thu May 11, 2023 6:16 pm

Are you guys sure that parents scene wasn't in the theatrical version? As in it's at the cinema but not in the Blu Ray, as in it was added. Since I've never heard anything regarding to possible differences.
Last edited by AlphaZero on Thu May 11, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 11, 2023 10:23 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Here's the dialogue in that last set of storyboards.

Thanks for the translation.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, there's the possibility that the box containing the trap with the Mark.04 drone was added to the tesseract after it was sent to space: if it was still in SEELE/neo-NERV's possession after Third Impact, it wouldn't make sense for them to send it to space, since they needed to bring back Shinji so he could pilot with Kaworu and break the seal to lilith's Chamber.

True. It's possible the trap with the Mark.04 was added long after Eva-01 was sent into space.

As you said, after the Third Impact, SEELE doesn't seem to have any reason to send Eva-01 into the space, since they will need Shinji for the Fourth Impact. I should say WILLE wouldn't have so much reason to send it into space after the Third Impact either (it would be the waste of a good energy source).

Still, it's difficult to assume the moment Eva-01 was sent to this, because we still don't know the reason why this happened.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri May 12, 2023 10:39 am

Deleted scene with Midori remembering her parents and resenting Shinji, as he blames her for their death.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri May 12, 2023 11:47 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Deleted scene with Midori remembering her parents and resenting Shinji, as he blames her for their death.

At first, the scene of Midori holding the hand of her very hurt mother(?) seemed contradictory with Midori implying her parents were corified in -46h. However, I notice this would really be complimentary.

Midori has already her bag at that point and her mother is telling her "Survive". So, it's pretty likely Midori and her mother were escaping from the corification at that point, but an accident happened and her mother couldn't continue.

I remember there was confusion about Midori surviving while her parents couldn't. This would explain what happened.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 12, 2023 2:48 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:True. It's possible the trap with the Mark.04 was added long after Eva-01 was sent into space.

As you said, after the Third Impact, SEELE doesn't seem to have any reason to send Eva-01 into the space, since they will need Shinji for the Fourth Impact. I should say WILLE wouldn't have so much reason to send it into space after the Third Impact either (it would be the waste of a good energy source).

Still, it's difficult to assume the moment Eva-01 was sent to this, because we still don't know the reason why this happened.

WILLE are definitively too strapped on resources to be the ones to had sent it to space.
The only way I can see SEELE/NERV sending it to orbit in a way that makes sense would be between the end of 2.0 and Third Impact: SEELE need the spear impaling Unit 01 of the last part of their plan, but removing it might make Unit 01 wake up from its nap and fuck them over, so they sent it to space as it's the only way to get rid of it.
The the events of Third Impact happens and oops, turns out they'll need Shinji who's currently trapped in low orbit. (although that still doesn't explain why they didn't just sent a drone to bring the tesseract back, that probably hinges on what lies Gendo told them)

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:At first, the scene of Midori holding the hand of her very hurt mother(?) seemed contradictory with Midori implying her parents were corified in -46h. However, I notice this would really be complimentary.

Midori has already her bag at that point and her mother is telling her "Survive". So, it's pretty likely Midori and her mother were escaping from the corification at that point, but an accident happened and her mother couldn't continue.

I remember there was confusion about Midori surviving while her parents couldn't. This would explain what happened.

I can see two scenarios:
  • either they retconned Midori's parents' death into them being turned to core (to have the implication that they'll come back at the end of Thrice)
  • or her father was turned to core, and at some point her mother was injured and unable to continue, so she sent Midori away and was turned to core soon after

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri May 12, 2023 5:59 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:WILLE are definitively too strapped on resources to be the ones to had sent it to space.
The only way I can see SEELE/NERV sending it to orbit in a way that makes sense would be between the end of 2.0 and Third Impact: SEELE need the spear impaling Unit 01 of the last part of their plan, but removing it might make Unit 01 wake up from its nap and fuck them over, so they sent it to space as it's the only way to get rid of it.
The the events of Third Impact happens and oops, turns out they'll need Shinji who's currently trapped in low orbit. (although that still doesn't explain why they didn't just sent a drone to bring the tesseract back, that probably hinges on what lies Gendo told them)

I really doubt SEELE used the Spears for the Third Impact. As we see in the Fourth Impact and Additional Impact in 3.0, the Spears dissapear when these are used for an Impact.

It's weird that the Third Impact doesn't need a Spear, but we've seen that Shinji started the Third Impact without Spears in 2.0.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I can see two scenarios:
  • either they retconned Midori's parents' death into them being turned to core (to have the implication that they'll come back at the end of Thrice)
  • or her father was turned to core, and at some point her mother was injured and unable to continue, so she sent Midori away and was turned to core soon after

Midori's mother has a liquid substance in her face. I'm not really sure if this is blood or core.

If this is core, I wonder how she was contaminated, while her daughter wasn't touched.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 12, 2023 7:35 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I really doubt SEELE used the Spears for the Third Impact. As we see in the Fourth Impact and Additional Impact in 3.0, the Spears dissapear when these are used for an Impact.

It's weird that the Third Impact doesn't need a Spear, but we've seen that Shinji started the Third Impact without Spears in 2.0.

I was thinking of Fourth Impact: SEELE might need the spears for the Third, but they needed them for the Fourth, so they needed to had it removed from Unit 01.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat May 13, 2023 10:48 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I was thinking of Fourth Impact: SEELE might need the spears for the Third, but they needed them for the Fourth, so they needed to had it removed from Unit 01.

That's a good point. If the Third Impact only "purify" the land, SEELE will still need the Fourth Impact for the "purification" of the souls.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat May 13, 2023 11:54 am

Eva-01 was on Earth during Third Impact because it got cored. The spear was removed prior to Third Impact because it ends up in Lilith/06, and this theoretical window of activation is probably related to the visual appearance of the FoI.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat May 13, 2023 3:37 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Eva-01 was on Earth during Third Impact because it got cored. The spear was removed prior to Third Impact because it ends up in Lilith/06, and this theoretical window of activation is probably related to the visual appearance of the FoI.

Its core erosion effect could also be because it was awakened at the end of 2.0: I don't think that it would be in a state to supply power to the Wunder if it was simply turned to core instead of being a source of core erosion.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”