Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
2Lacissal2
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:13 am

I’ve always had the belief the Mark.04s were basically messed up pseudo-Failures of Infinity caused by Unit 04’s explosion during it’s test.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:22 pm

That's the theory that I (or, to throw around the name that means a lot more in the context of lore analysis, Reichu) am working under; it explains the number, it explains the scuffed state since that was obviously a very incomplete impact event, and it explains where they came from.
They also take the place of 04 proper during the Eva execution scene in Shin, lending further credit to that theory
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AlphaZero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaZero » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:53 am

Seems it was first uploaded here: https://i.imgur.com/uNDX4A5.jpeg From a Reddit thread. The upper right says "Land type" according to Google(kanji are correctly read). The left side says "映画のやつ"(Google would only read 映画 and not the rest) which translates to "Movie guy/fellow/chap". Very odd, I'm thinking this is a fan drawing unless it was a leak from a CRC or something.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:15 am

View Original PostAlphaZero wrote:Seems it was first uploaded here: https://i.imgur.com/uNDX4A5.jpeg From a Reddit thread. The upper right says "Land type" according to Google(kanji are correctly read). The left side says "映画のやつ"(Google would only read 映画 and not the rest) which translates to "Movie guy/fellow/chap". Very odd, I'm thinking this is a fan drawing unless it was a leak from a CRC or something.

Thank you very much! :D

The "Movie guy/fellow/chap" probably means "final version that appears in the movie" or something like that. As for the "Land type", the configuration as it's shown there run into the obvious problem that it'll be very hard for it to move anywhere with the two pair of feet on the opposite side! :tongue:
Besides what would even be their weapon? That makes me wonder if (assuming that this is a legit thing) those were the early drafts of what would become the kamikaze arm units in Thrice?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:46 pm

View Original PostAlphaZero wrote:Seems it was first uploaded here: https://i.imgur.com/uNDX4A5.jpeg From a Reddit thread. The upper right says "Land type" according to Google(kanji are correctly read). The left side says "映画のやつ"(Google would only read 映画 and not the rest) which translates to "Movie guy/fellow/chap". Very odd, I'm thinking this is a fan drawing unless it was a leak from a CRC or something.

Minor correction: it says 陸戦型 rikusengata, which literally translates to "Land (= ground) battle type" (you missed the "battle" part).
The other one (映画のやつ eiga no yatsu) literally means "The one from/in the movie". Yatsu means "guy/fellow/chap" when used for people or animate things, but can also be used for things or ideas in general so this translation is more general.

I'm at a similar position regarding the Mark.04's.
I think they're mass-produced evas somehow based on the "Eva-04 platform", and endowed with the "internal power source" (which in the Rebuild setting, is not quite the same as the FoL, for some reason). Not sure if they (and by extension, the 44A, 44B, and 4444C) were created during the Eva-04 failed experiement, but rather built on-demand by Neo-Nerv based on the technology/data obtained thereof.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon May 01, 2023 12:41 am

It'd be interesting to know why they were made in the first place. I don't really understand their role in the plot pre third impact. Did they anticipate armed resistance before third impact? Maybe they participated actively in the conflict.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon May 01, 2023 8:37 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:It'd be interesting to know why they were made in the first place. I don't really understand their role in the plot pre third impact. Did they anticipate armed resistance before third impact? Maybe they participated actively in the conflict.

I assume Mark-04's were created after the Third Impact. I think NERV used the remains of Eva-04's core to create the Mark-04's, since they don't have more resources.

NERV's situation was better than WILLE's (since WILLE was trying to protect and preserve the human race), but their resources were still likely limited.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon May 01, 2023 9:03 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Besides what would even be their weapon?

Kicking, stomping, trampling!

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon May 01, 2023 12:18 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostJinroh#940506 wrote:It'd be interesting to know why they were made in the first place. I don't really understand their role in the plot pre third impact. Did they anticipate armed resistance before third impact? Maybe they participated actively in the conflict.

I assume Mark-04's were created after the Third Impact.

Hmm maybe. But they're being used casually as a power source for the Wunder... maybe they were captured during the time skip. But they don't seem very effective as a power source.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue May 02, 2023 1:59 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Hmm maybe. But they're being used casually as a power source for the Wunder... maybe they were captured during the time skip. But they don't seem very effective as a power source.

I don't think those are quite the same as the Mark.04 A/B's... I mean, it looks like "repurposed NERV technology that shows their signature shoulder pylon unified design", but beyond that... it wouldn't make much sense.

I remember Takao mentioning the N2 reactors at some point during the Wunder launch sequence in 3.0.

Does anybody know exactly what the "N2" in "N2 Reactor" and "N2 landmine" is supposed to mean? I seem to remember reading in some Japanese specula book back in the day that the two N's are supposed to stand for "non-nuclear" (i.e., conventional form of energy, being that all nuclear weapons are seemingly banned post 2I in the NGE continuity at least?).

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed May 03, 2023 11:51 am

Yean I've always heard that N^2 stood for "Non-Nuclear" (and, tangentially, that S^2 stood for "Super Solenoid"), with an emphasis on how they have the explosive yield of a nuclear weapon without the radioactive fallout. I don't think they changed what it means for Rebuild's continuity, or at least I can't think of a reason why they'd need to change it, though the existence of "N^2 Reactors" do kinda beg the question of what exactly those would be and how they'd work
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Thu May 04, 2023 4:03 am

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Yean I've always heard that N^2 stood for "Non-Nuclear" (and, tangentially, that S^2 stood for "Super Solenoid"), with an emphasis on how they have the explosive yield of a nuclear weapon without the radioactive fallout. I don't think they changed what it means for Rebuild's continuity, or at least I can't think of a reason why they'd need to change it, though the existence of "N^2 Reactors" do kinda beg the question of what exactly those would be and how they'd work

Agreed on all accounts.

Moreover, what's the deal with the "N1 rockets" we hear about during preparations for Operation Yamato? Are those nuclear?

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu May 04, 2023 9:29 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:Moreover, what's the deal with the "N1 rockets" we hear about during preparations for Operation Yamato? Are those nuclear?

They're an old Soviet design, non-nuclear.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 am

N1 rockets are a historical type of rocket built by the Soviet Union for manned space missions, they're the heaviest and prior to Starship most powerful rocket to have ever been built. Their test flights... did not go so well, for various reasons, and the project was ultimately canned after all four vehicles exploded on launch
EDIT: Oops, that's what you get for answering something without reloading to check if someone else has also answered in the mean time
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 04, 2023 4:51 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I assume Mark-04's were created after the Third Impact. I think NERV used the remains of Eva-04's core to create the Mark-04's, since they don't have more resources.

NERV's situation was better than WILLE's (since WILLE was trying to protect and preserve the human race), but their resources were still likely limited.

*looks at NERV's three fully kitted battleships, four Adam's Vessels and tens of thousands of Mark.07*
Well, not that limited.

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Yean I've always heard that N^2 stood for "Non-Nuclear" (and, tangentially, that S^2 stood for "Super Solenoid"), with an emphasis on how they have the explosive yield of a nuclear weapon without the radioactive fallout. I don't think they changed what it means for Rebuild's continuity, or at least I can't think of a reason why they'd need to change it, though the existence of "N^2 Reactors" do kinda beg the question of what exactly those would be and how they'd work

I think the N2 stands for "sci-fi power as strong as a nuke but that isn't a nuke to be able to use them without having to answer the question of what happen with the radiation and because we don't like nuclear weapons due to our country's past".

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Hmm maybe. But they're being used casually as a power source for the Wunder... maybe they were captured during the time skip. But they don't seem very effective as a power source.

My guess is that those salvaged Mark.04 are enough to power the very basic functions of the Wunder (maybe they also power the fleet's ships, if they were all converted to electrical motors), but that it need an immense amount of power to deploy its full capabilities, something that only its original "master" (the Adam's Vessel) or a godly being like Unit 01 could procure.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue May 09, 2023 9:49 pm

Doesn't seem like we have a thread for merch tie-ins in general, so here it goes.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/pt-br/anime ... ame-collab

Man I loved PangYa.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 16, 2023 4:40 am

Seems the Shin Eva sacrifice scene almost included Eva-04.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue May 16, 2023 5:30 am

Aw, would have liked to see that in the movie. shame it didn't make the cut.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue May 16, 2023 5:58 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
SPOILER: Show

Seems the Shin Eva sacrifice scene almost included Eva-04.

Curiously, this new image continues to imply that Mark-04 were created using Eva-04. After all, we could see other forms of Eva-02 and Eva-08.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Aw, would have liked to see that in the movie. shame it didn't make the cut.

I guess this decision is because Eva-04 was never completed. So, they decided to use all the Mark-04 instead.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue May 16, 2023 6:33 am

The 4 Series is heavily implied to be the harvested remnants of 04, yes.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”