Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue May 16, 2023 8:01 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Seems the Shin Eva sacrifice scene almost included Eva-04.

Whoa cool, I wish that tweet linked to a higher resolution version of the lineup.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Tue May 16, 2023 8:06 am

8+2 is there too. The Tweet implies that not everything there was going to be used, since there seems to be a spare 02 in there too with pink whites (maybe a textured underwater model?).

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:8+2 is there too. The Tweet implies that not everything there was going to be used, since there seems to be a spare 02 in there too with pink whites (maybe a textured underwater model?).

The first "pink" Unit 02 has the giant life jacket that it used when it booted the Wunder engine at the beginning of 3.0, so the model definitively created with an additional reddish hue to go with the fact that it's underwater, the one just behind it is the Unit that fought Shinji in Lilith's Chamber, I guess that the red hue is for when Fourth Impact started, maybe?

Anno added in another tweet that he asked the digital artists department to make that image with all their models so Anno could study the pose and order of the Evas for the sacrifice scene.
Still, if it means that at some point he intended to incorporate more Evas, I can see why he ultimately decided against it: adding Units that were either already destroyed a long time ago or just never existed in this continuity (8+2) would imply that Shinji erased all Evangelions from existence in the present and past and even alternate continuities, with all the changes in the world(s) due to the laws of causality, which would had gone against his previous words that he won't rewrite the world or turn back time.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat May 20, 2023 1:06 pm

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:04 am

Hmmmm...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:36 pm

∆ Just thanks for his recent films.
Not sure what is next for Anno, Eva or khara.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:10 am

I kinda wonder if Oshii is a bit mad at Anno these past years...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:01 am

I'm sorry but Oshii is an idiot.
This isn't the first dumb thing I see from him, though it might be the worst.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:46 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm sorry but Oshii is an idiot.

To call someone as thoughtful as Oshii an idiot because some tabloid shaved every bit of context down into a one-sentence misrepresentation, clickbait that by its easily-spread nature will outlive any ignored attempt at a nuanced correction, is too depressing for words.

You can disagree with him on some things, or even everything, but please don't allow yourself to be a victim to this kind of casual profiteering dehumanization, a conditioning toward lack of critical thought.

The full quotes:

Interviewer: "When Makoto Shinkai appeared, there was a stir.''

Oshii : "And more specifically, I think that commercial entertainment works are themselves social acts. Commercial entertainment works are inseparable from social aspects, as the work that includes getting the audience to watch it is a commercial activity. It is precisely because they have such a social background that their works can have a statement and a theme. And there's no point in it unless it's a hit with today's customers, so it has to be in keeping with the times. So, commercial films, whether it's Eva or a loofah... (laughs) They always have a social and contemporary feel. But art-based animation doesn't have to bear the weight of the times. There is such a clear difference. So, although the animation expressions are the same in commercial works and art, they are even more different than anime and live-action, or even anime and manga. It's not just a different genre or a different audience, it's a different act."

Later: "We still have the problem of archives. 95% of our works are lost. Unless someone tries to maintain them, they become lost. Unless someone happens to try to critique, there is no criticism either. They just get comments like good or bad and immediately get forgotten."

He was referring to the fact he recently published settei for some of his works, and mused about how certain works are forgotten, including his own, but it was mostly in the context of physical materials being lost. This is of course why episode 16 of NGE never got an HD version, but most anime pre-90s don't have good sources for their audio tracks due to tapes being thrown out. He was also musing about relevance in a historical sense--but he later talks about art animation being susceptible to this as well.

If the controversial bit of this is referring to NTE as a commercial enterprise, one must also call Anno an idiot, as he's characterized it as such from its beginnings--it was envisioned as an accessible version of NGE from a commercial standpoint and several elements were done out of principal of pleasing the audience and producers--comparisons between NGE and NTE in production interviews paint the latter as distinguished chiefly because of this different emphasis in approach. The interview between Anno and Utada is an easily accessible summation of these longtime factoids.

That Oshii wasn't lumping NGE in with NTE itself changes the parameters of any discourse one can have about his words, but there's also the fact the entire thrust of his words was eliminated. Including the incredibly important perspective-altering bit that he considers himself a commercial filmmaker, as said elsewhere before but also in this very interview, and so this isn't a case of him poo-pooing anything. Yet this doesn't stop thousands of people (or likely more) from walking away from the various sites copypasting the same lazy ragebait misquote carrying a brand new opinion on why he's apparently a worthless dolt, something new and shiny to be mad about.

If you want to rage, rage at unethical "journalism."
Après moi le déluge!

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:31 pm

Thank you, very well put. I do understand his point, but I am indeed wondering if he's... distressed about Anno? They talk about each other quite a bit in some interviews, and also recently, he said that "Hideaki Anno is More of a Producer Than a Director These Days". Maybe he doesn't like NTE much.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:55 pm

Seems so to me, but his words are pretty ambivalent. I was actually disappointed when I read past the recent headline because I was hoping he was giving his more detailed thoughts about NTE, whatever they might be.

That Eva is the first thing he uses as an example gives a pretty strong impression, although it is true that's also just the most obvious example to use given its saturation as a franchise. Likewise, his comments about Anno's business involvement seem based on the obvious; dude has real estate holdings and did a lot of legal maneuvering to get Khara off the ground. I assume the comment also has to do with Anno taking a "director of directors" role--I was recently surprised to see Shin Godzilla wasn't directed by him alone as I had previously thought, and as we know a lot of NTE was handled by others. But I don't think "producer" was used as a derogatory by Oshii, anyway, despite the tone it might seem to carry.

Contrary to how Oshii's often characterized as being elitist, I've not yet encountered him giving a Harlan Ellison-tier incendiary opinion. For example, he actually defended the live-action version of GitS on several points, although he didn't praise it beyond its right to exist.
Après moi le déluge!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:24 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#941871 wrote:I'm sorry but Oshii is an idiot.

To call someone as thoughtful as Oshii an idiot because some tabloid shaved every bit of context down into a one-sentence misrepresentation, clickbait that by its easily-spread nature will outlive any ignored attempt at a nuanced correction, is too depressing for words.

No I definitely think he's an idiot. It's not like this is the first thing he's said that's bothered me. And I read the article.
Being thoughtful doesn't mean you reach correct conclusions. He's a great director but he's also a hypocrite and keeps saying the dumbest shit.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:34 am

Oshii should make a Beautiful Dreamer take on NTE, I'd watch it.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:22 pm

EDIT: It actually was a late launch party...

SPOILER: Show

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”