Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:05 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:
View Original PostNatalie the Cat#927775 wrote:The (lol) Suicide Squad wasn't going for "woke points",
SPOILER: Show
it was an answer to the smarmy chicken soup for the woke messaging in Marvel films like Captain America: The Winter Soldier where the superficially counter-cultural messages or critique of the military industrial complex always come with an "out", i.e. it was secretly Hydra the whole time. America wouldn't do this. The shadowy cabal of un-elected delegates who fired a nuclear missile at New York are actually the good guys.

Actually, nope, America would do this. Fuck 'em, they overthrew our regime, so Starro can have them. Is he a threat to the entire world? Well, obviously, but who cares, he's hurting people we don't like now. We brought over Nazi scientists, funded their research, committed grotesque experiments on the people of a puppet state, then collapsed the regime and let a giant monster loose.

Mission accomplished!

Wasn't the objective to destroy said monster and all research relating to it? My take was that the U.S. was fine with not-Cuba having it when our regime was in charge, but decided it was time to clean up once a regime hostile to us gained power. That's still on brand for us, but it amounts to our doing the right thing after having exhausted all other options rather than doing the wrong thing because we're a bunch of dicks.

(Though I'll note we generally don't truck with Nazis. If you look at a list of people who've been denaturalized in the U.S. -- that is, people who became citizens and later had their citizenship revoked -- the vast majority of them are Nazis, whom we extradited to Germany to stand trial for war crimes. We've actually been pretty good about that, current political trends notwithstanding.)

The mission was to blow up the facility and that mission was a cover for the real mission of destroying the data. The creature was incidental

Waller does the whole “main mission as a cover for one person carrying out the real mission” thing a lot, apparently. The animated movies had that as well.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:52 pm

This is changing the subject, but how likely do you guys think this is?
Disney definitely wants full control of Spider-Man and the characters related to him, but they purchased Fox in 2019, and that was a huge acquisition even by their standards.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:46 pm

It would be bad.

At the moment though I don't see this happening. Nothing in this article seems legit. Nothing about this feels official and sites like this and We Got This Covered are known in the film industry as being bullshit Movie "Fake News". It's clickbait. Is Disney considering trying to buy the Spider-Man characters from Sony? Sure. But Disney wants to buy everything. Short of Disney buying Sony (which lol) it's unlikely. There's too many "our secret source says" and "we've heard reports" with zero evidence to back anything up. If there was ANY serious talk of this being made the first place we'd be hearing about is from one of the major sources like The Hollywood Reporter, Variety or Deadline.

Sony Pictures is still backed up by, you know, SONY and right now Spider-Man is Sony's biggest film series and they're going all in on Spider-Man and all the Spider-Man related stuff they have. Not including the MCU Spider-Man coming up this Christmas Sony is in development on Venom 2, Morbius, Spider-Verse 2, Kraven the Hunter, a Silk TV Series, a Spider-Woman movie and likely most of these will be getting sequels if successful.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:11 pm

I'd be fine with them buying Spider-Man back but not the entire studio and catalog, jesus. They have enough already.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 am

Not to mention it wouldn't work out financially, even for them. Consider everything they got from the Fox purchase. The Simpsons, Avatar, Ice Age, Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes, X-Men, The Fantastic Four, and National Geographic. That's what's known in the industry as a metric shitload of intellectual property. Aside from Spider-Man and his related characters, Sony doesn't have anywhere near that much A-list IP. Not the kind that would make it worth buying the whole company, anyway.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:32 pm

Spider-Man - No Way Home trailer is finally here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgU7P6o-GkM
Looks good but DrStrange seems reckless & out of character.

Incredible full Eternals trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_me3xsvDgk
This IMO is the exact tone, style & scope the Thor movies should have had this whole time.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:42 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Spider-Man - No Way Home trailer is finally here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgU7P6o-GkM
Looks good but DrStrange seems reckless & out of character.

This movie feels in the wrong place to me, like this should have been the movie where you first see strange before you see his movie and your right he's really OOC and they should have just kept this similar to the spider verse in that the portal opens on someone else's end and spiderman/women keep coming through until they fix it. As this is coming over, as a less interesting version of Spider verse, which still looks like the better movie.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 am

It's gonna be another movie where all the danger and destruction could've been avoided if the "heroes" weren't irresponsible narcissists. This would be fine if the movie was about dealing with that but this isn't. It's a cameo fest baked in nostalgia and will end with everyone assuring MCU Spider-Man that he's "really cool" and "the best".

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:39 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It's gonna be another movie where all the danger and destruction could've been avoided if the "heroes" weren't irresponsible narcissists. This would be fine if the movie was about dealing with that but this isn't. It's a cameo fest baked in nostalgia and will end with everyone assuring MCU Spider-Man that he's "really cool" and "the best".

That my biggest issue with this it's pure nostalgia but utterly misunderstands that that made the spider verse comic and later film amazing, which was each Spider-Man/woman skill working as a unit to close the multiverse portal using the best of themselves with no single power of one bullshit. As they each worked and helped each other in their strengths and weakness's.

Plus, Aunt May in one world is an utter badass who owns an underground spider cave, and she gives the team the kick they need going forward. So if there not gonna put in Miles or Gwen in this as well (Who are essential in the 2018 comic in the roles they play) I can not be bothered to watch it I'll sit and wait for Spider verse 2 as they said they were doing a sequel.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:20 am

Been keeping up with the Marvel "What IF" on Disney. It was always a fave comic for me even though most of the time
things ended badly. The style is very art deco and the cgi smooths out things without being too obtrusive. The main problem
is the first few eps suffer from trying to fit the 2 hour movie they are based on into a 30 min format which feels awkward and rushed.

That said, this weeks Ep "What if Dr. Strange lost his heart, instead of his hands" was fantastic in my opinion. Well worth a look if you are curious.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 pm

Imo the first one had that problem more than the rest. The second one was a crowd pleaser and a fan service extravaganza that I loved, but the fourth one is the standout. It was absolutely brutal and showed that they're really embracing the concept and giving the creative team real freedom to explore the "this doesn't affect out continuity (brand) so we can go hog wild and do something creative and cool". It was also nice to actually see the arrogance of the heroes have actual consequences instead of getting neatly wrapped up and glossed over.

That belies the real beauty of the episode, though: It's a real gut puncher that shows the danger of "love, persevering".

Episode two has some of my favorite bits so far, though. That episode had some serious verve, everyone involved was having a blast.

My favorite parts were Noir Nebula and Crazy Uncle Thanos.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:14 am

I really hope that Marvel learns something from the what if? Series in that audiences are really ready for the multiverse not just to see it one off stuff but the real thing. As the multiverse, Xmen spin-offs in the comics in some instances were even better than the normal universe. Gay wolverine who loved Hercules was fascinating, or the other universe where he ended with Jean Grey. Miles from the spider verse comic was fantastic. So this should teach them that maybe they should take risks and stop playing safe.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:40 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:Imo the first one had that problem more than the rest. The second one was a crowd pleaser and a fan service extravaganza that I loved, but the fourth one is the standout.........

Agree with all of this, episode 2 was a real love letter, not so sweet that I gagged, but the intended warm gush of feels succeeded....The result of Episode 3 took me by surprise.... Ep4 though is for me the current cherry on top.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:27 pm

Episode 5 sucked. I'd share my initial writeup but the marvel tv server banned me lol

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:54 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:Episode 5 sucked. I'd share my initial writeup but the marvel tv server banned me lol

I guess the Marvel "Zombie-verse" was a pretty popular sub genre of books but I could take it or leave it as well. Isn't there enough zombie crap out there
already? The duds just make the hits that much higher.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 pm

When zombies went from being a tool of social commentary to a “safe” target for post apocalyptic violence fantasies I lost all interest

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 pm

1st Hawkeye trailer. Going for a fun Die Hard Christmas vibe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VYb3B1ETlk

- Hailee Steinfeld is perfectly casting for Kate Bishop & Kate seems likable in the trailer.
- I am worried about Clint & Laura possibly having broken up, after Endgame that would be too damn cruel.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 am

Hmm new episode of "What If"....kind of just ...there. It wasn't bad...just not that interesting a topic???

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:20 am

I feel largely the same. It made little sense and Jordan was really wooden in his delivery. Some actors just aren’t good at voice work.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:26 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:When zombies went from being a tool of social commentary to a “safe” target for post apocalyptic violence fantasies I lost all interest

I've heard the comic this is based on is kind of nuts....it's like Marvel wanted to get on the walking dead train so bad, as that comic was doing really well at the time.

Return to “Film and Video”