Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:44 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Sausage Party Law :rofl:
That's good, I'll have to remember that one

Well, the thing about that movie is, it was the highest-grossing R-rated animated movie ever: until the Demon Slayer movie was released. And now you can't talk about the new Eva movie's box office without it being compared to Demon Slayer. So, I guess by the "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" rule, Sausage Party is kind of related to Eva. :wink:

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:23 am

Fairly different green band trailer for The Suicide Squad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBumm7mYT_0
I like this one better.

New Black Widow trailer (first footage to come out since the pandemic started)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9pNPdNwjI

New Gods & The Trench have been canceled.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/new_gods ... os-a183688

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:The first episode of Invincible was fucking harsh, like it was bad in the comic but they turned the slaughter into a fucking battle, a very disturbing one.

Plowed through the first 4 eps last Friday and I'm finding it very entertaining so far....and that battle you are talking about was BRUTAL!
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:32 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed here before, but I recently gave DC's animated series Harley Quinn a shot, and I've been enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Not that I'd have given it a shot in the first place if I didn't think there was something to enjoy there, but it kind of blew my expectations out of the water. It takes a surprising amount of liberty with DC material, and in general is just unconventionally exciting, interesting and fresh. A common thought while watching was "how the hell did this get greenlit?". Anyway, it's a lot of fun. Definitely recommend.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 pm

^
It is currently my favorite DC property, I honestly love how everyone is characterized. The voice cast is superb, Giancarlo Esposito as lex luthor in particular.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:42 am

View Original Postbaldur wrote:A common thought while watching was "how the hell did this get greenlit?". Anyway, it's a lot of fun. Definitely recommend.

It may have been due to Harley's relationship with Poison Ivy that there may have been a stall in it being green lit. As for the longest time despite this being canon in the comics producers and media were really unsure about it selling well, just glad they got over this and made it. Though I'd be very surprised if it ever shows up in a DC movie, as main stream films are still really struggling with LGBT stuff whereas series are embracing it.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 pm

Yeah, it also just handles social commentary in general very well for a comic book property. Again, I was kind of shocked with what they were able to get away with here; I can't say I was expecting the first 10 seconds of the show to depict a cabal of white elites on a yacht gleefully toasting to "fucking the poor", their favorite past-time. On a somewhat related but also unrelated note - I just finished watching Judas and the Black Messiah (a great film) and read an interview where the director, Shaka King, is very open about the movie being a vessel for radical ideas and intended as counter-propaganda against the smearing of Fred Hampton and the Black Panthers in mass media. It's interesting to me that we live in a time where risky stuff like this can be funded. I hope it's a sign of more to come.
Last edited by baldur on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:40 pm

Jupiter's Legacy
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3IAqm-gpE
Largely looks more cinematic than I feared. Outfits look both bad & good depending on the scene, shot & lighting. Duhamel looks to be doing a decent job as a world weary disillusioned Superman archetype.

Batman - The Long Halloween - Part 1
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7wbwkzNS0
Artstyle is less exaggerated than the comic.
Wish they kept the 90s purple outfit for Selina along with the killer abs the artist gave her in that series. That said I'm glad the whiskers are gone.

Loki trailer 2
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW948Va-l10

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I honestly love how everyone is characterized.

I honestly hate...
SPOILER: Show
them having Nora Fries jumping on Maxie Zeus's dick right after Victor sacrifices himself to save her.

The entire Dcau Mr Freeze storyline from TAS to BatBeyond remains among the best comic adaption stories ever IMO so this was just disrespectful, at least it's in a different continuity.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:38 pm

1st Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA

I am firmly pleased, looks very cinematic. The lighting, cinematography & choreography look solid. The fantasy period piece scenes don't look too wire-fu-ish or cheap.
Tony Leung who is playing The Mandarin is a great choice, he was in Hard Boiled & The Grandmaster.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#918643 wrote:Sausage Party Law :rofl:
That's good, I'll have to remember that one

Well, the thing about that movie is, it was the highest-grossing R-rated animated movie ever: until the Demon Slayer movie was released. And now you can't talk about the new Eva movie's box office without it being compared to Demon Slayer. So, I guess by the "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" rule, Sausage Party is kind of related to Eva. :wink:

Well, it does involve the protagonists battling inscrutable, unfathomable beings that they can only perceive as "gods", along with musings on the nature of religion.

You're welcome.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:10 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed here before, but I recently gave DC's animated series Harley Quinn a shot, and I've been enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Not that I'd have given it a shot in the first place if I didn't think there was something to enjoy there, but it kind of blew my expectations out of the water. It takes a surprising amount of liberty with DC material, and in general is just unconventionally exciting, interesting and fresh. A common thought while watching was "how the hell did this get greenlit?". Anyway, it's a lot of fun. Definitely recommend.

It’s worth it for their spin on King Shark alone.

That and Ivy radiates big futch energy.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:01 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:That and Ivy radiates big futch energy.

Ivy (and her dynamic with Harley) was definitely the heart of that show.

I hope another season gets made, but they did also leave it on a satisfying enough spot in case it doesn't turn out that way, so that's nice.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:11 am

Russell Crowe is confirmed to be playing Zeus in Thor - Love & Thunder.
Barring them intentionally setting up Hercules for future films I imagine they will kill him off to show how powerful Gorr is.
Hopefully it won't be handled as a joke.

Emilia Clarke has been cast in a unknown role in Secret Invasion.

Captain America 4 is moving forward with the writers of Falcon & Winter Soldier (which I still need to watch)

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:The first episode of Invincible was fucking harsh, like it was bad in the comic but they turned the slaughter into a fucking battle, a very disturbing one.

I was just going to mention this. It seemed like a really normal tv series until you get to the end. Still I think its worth watching up to episode 8 if you can stomach it

Lots explained on ep 8 on why omniman killed the guardians
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 am

I watched the first 3 episodes of Invincible, and they were pretty decent, but MY GOD the scenes with teenagers were cringey as hell. They tried way too hard to "update" the dialogue by overloading the script with modern Zoomer slang, and the show's excuse for teenage drama is basically "OMG he cheated on me" as aliens and gods are killing everyone in the background. The show's worth watching if you just want to see a superhero show with higher levels of violence than they allow in the movies, but I wouldn't call it "great" by any means.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:I was just going to mention this. It seemed like a really normal tv series until you get to the end. Still I think its worth watching up to episode 8 if you can stomach it

Lots explained on ep 8 on why omniman killed the guardians

I'm definitely looking forward to a few explanations having not read the comic. Enjoying the overall plot but yeah some of the
"social interaction" feels a bit stilted or they are trying too hard.... but like any good train wreck I can't take my eyes off it. :emogendo:
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:27 pm

^
Speaking of train wrecks, Jesus Christ that train wreck.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 14, 2021 3:31 am

First tiny bit of footage from Eternals + more from Shang Chi & Black Widow.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI
Surprised they didn't drop a full teaser/trailer for Eternals after it's director won best director/picture.

1st trailer for Venom - Let there be Carnage
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ezfi6FQ8Ds
Meh

Hannah John Kamen (ghost in ant man 2) will play Red Sonja.
- https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy_ ... en-a184538
I swear to god they better dye her hair red, the number of blackwashed redhead characters has gotten preposterous (and I loved elba as heimdall so I am not even saying it's bad all the time) and this could be the worst example yet, red is literally in her freaking name. If they get rid of the bikini AND the red hair... WTF is even left that is identifiable and iconic about the character?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Hannah John Kamen (ghost in ant man 2) will play Red Sonja.
- https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy_ ... en-a184538

I don't hold high hope for this since Conan 2011 was an utter train wreck, plus I think they'd do very well to stay away from her original rape plot line unless there gonna really do their homework, as the 1985 version made out she had a full on hated of men which was so utterly inaccurate as rape victims fear a repeat event happening it gives them night terrors, depression and other issues. So her being afraid and weary of male company would be very realistic and no one not even a kind old master should be telling her ah well get over it.

And they should not bring back Queen Gedren, she was never in the comics, and she was used as typical 80's stereotype LGBT people are evil villains.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:plus I think they do very well to stay away from her original rape plot line

Agreed I hope they let her be mysterious and don't address her origin much at all.

Return to “Film and Video”