Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 14, 2021 4:17 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:
Agreed I hope they let her be mysterious and don't address her origin much at all.

It would perfect if all they said was she saw a white goddess who gave her the sword and flash back to this but say nothing else. As they could base her of Gail Simone 2013 version which reboots her origin without the rape plot line and implies she escaped slavery and makes her bisexual so long as they handle this issue with nuance as this issue was swept under the carpet with WW 1984 like WW didn't need to have a girlfriend, but an open confirmation would have been great.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed May 19, 2021 10:22 pm

Bad Boys For Life directors to helm the Dceu Batgirl movie, she presumably will be mentored by Keaton after the events of The Flash (assuming they get rid of Batfleck in-story which I personally pray that they do not)
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/b ... ah-a184946

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Batman - The Long Halloween - Part 1
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7wbwkzNS0
Artstyle is less exaggerated than the comic.
Wish they kept the 90s purple outfit for Selina along with the killer abs the artist gave her in that series. That said I'm glad the whiskers are gone.

Part 2 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0jEvGBwK44

Injustice is confirmed to be the next planned animated movie - https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_ ... ed-a184941
Fairly disappointed, much better stuff out there that deserves to be adapted more.

New animated series Batman - Caped Crusader is coming from Matt Reeves, JJ Abrams & Bruce Timm.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/b ... #gs.184p4a

"The series will be thrilling, cinematic, and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters"

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu May 20, 2021 11:14 am

They're really never going to do Kingdom Come, are they?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue May 25, 2021 2:46 am

Just finished the first season of Invincible. Not something that I was terribly interested in watching; maybe it's the inner contrarian in me, but when pieces of media like this become incredibly popular or hyped up to the point where they're virtually impossible to ignore, my annoyed impulse tends to be ignore them anyway out of spite. It also didn't help that it's a superhero comic book property. Nevertheless, I can't really say I was expecting it to be bad, and I decided to give it a shot.

While, admittedly, I kind of watched it with one eyebrow raised, it was thoroughly entertaining and engaging throughout. It built very well towards its climax, and from what I've researched it actually looks like a case where the adaptation surpasses the original material in quality. And even though I was initially annoyed with the buzz around the show, I have to say that it does make me pretty happy to see an animated series become so popular and acclaimed, especially one that's pretty damn solid. The voice acting was also superb and refreshingly well directed; a problem that I tend to notice in a lot of animated material is when voice actors sound like they're reading their lines out of context - I was very impressed with how consistently this series avoided that problem.

My hope is that the success of this series leads to a bigger animation budget, and easier funding for other animated projects here in the West.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue May 25, 2021 3:05 am

Finally the first trailer for Eternals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY
Cinematography looks great.
Glad it doesn't seem to be comedy focused.
Outfits overall seem weak, Salma Hayek's looks best.
Ikaris's would be good if it had red in the waist area like the comic.
SPOILER: Show

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 am

Shazam - Fury of the Gods: New Shazam family outfits revealed for the sequel.
Comparison...

Better more obvious texture, better colors, the gold looks properly metallic & the awful yellow plastic lightning bolt is gone completely. Less exaggerated muscle padding.

New Flash outfit & Supergirl suit teased/leaked from The Flash movie. The red over the shoulders + short black hair has led people to believe this will be Superman's daughter from the future & not Kara Zor-El. Cavill's Superman most likely considering she is using his exact S design.

I wish for the cuffs & waist/leg lines they had made them darker to contrast the main blue like on the original MOS outfit.

New The Suicide Squad trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg5ciqQzmK0

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:23 am

2nd Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YjFbMbfXaQ

2 major cameos, 1 somewhat expected (fin fang foom) & the other a massive surprise (the abomination)

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:24 pm

I read the first volume of Invincible after watching the show and I think it's definitely an improvement on the source. The event that forms the central climax of the show is fairly rushed in the comic and comes in fairly early, and the comic has all of the same elements as the show but they're not tied together as neatly, and the romance subplots are handled way better and more believably than the comic book version.

The show is really very good. I felt like it was kind of a subversive commentary on both criticism of Superman and the fascistic tendencies inherent in superhero power fantasy stories.

Edit:

WW84 is an annoying movie on multiple levels but the worst part is that Gal Gadot and Kristen Wiig had good on screen chemistry and one scene practically has them going on a date and them boom, heterosexuality rears its ugly head.

I mean, the second worst part. The worstest worst part is the totally incomprehensible ending, and the third worstest part is how ridiculously loose and incoherent the script is, and the fourth worstest part is the entire movie.

Ugh, imagine having a heterosexual amazon in 2020

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:14 pm

I watched Batman: Gotham By Gaslight the previous evening. I got to tell y'all that the twist ending concerning the Ripper's identity was shocking because he was usually a beloved character on the good side if you know your Gotham City mythology. The romantic chemistry between Bruce and Selina was pleasing because at least they end up together, no arguments nor deaths to keep them apart. The R rating lives up to it's reputation since the violence is bloody on both the females being stalked by the RIpper and the fights between Batman and Catwoman (in an interesting combo of purple Victorian costume and whip on her leg) vs. the Ripper. Also, I could detect that even though it was Jennifer Carpenter voicing Selina, the sequence where she sings in the theater was obviously Grey Griffin. Must've been another Lion King/Goofy Movie situation where Jeremy Irons could speak and sing Scar to an extent but not hit the high notes so they got Jim Cummings for that and Jason Marsden as far as they knew didn't sing so they gave the job to Aaron Lohr. Of all the Batman stand alone animated films of the 2010s, I consider this one my favorite and would gladly recommend it to rooks and vets alike.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:13 am

Is anyone else watching Loki?

If you're not, you should be. It's truly amazing.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:28 pm

I did, on my sister's Disney+ account. I thought it was interesting, though as usual for Marvel shows these days it doesn't go quite as far as it could with its most intriguing ideas. One thing I did like about it was the way the TVA seemed to be sort of a metaphor for Disney itself, complete with a cutesy mascot and a dislike of anything "original" and "unconventional".
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:40 pm

Michael B Jordan is developing a Val-Zod black Superman project for HBO Max, separate from the JJAbrams/Coates movie.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/superman ... #gs.6nwb3m

I think they should focus on this, cancel the Abrams/Coates movie & instead make MOS2 with Cavill (please)
Maybe do a Brandon Routh show on HBOmax to compliment this.

Has anyone watched the Superman & Lois show? I have heard largely good things.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:33 pm

Just saw The Suicide Squad yesterday. Super well directed and enjoyable, definitely one of the better superhero films I've seen. Had some atrocious politics, but I suppose that's just kind of to be expected with comic book properties.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:58 pm

I for one agree, the US has done some pretty atrocious things.

I saw suicide squad today for my birthday and it was fucking amazing, I was surprised by how many motherfuckers they killed holy shit guys, like fuck.

I was so impressed by the chemistry and the things they were willing to do in a DC property.

Spoiler for film
I was super unimpressed with the way they killed starro though, I get this is a new incarnation of him but wow, that was fucking lame

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:29 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I for one agree, the US has done some pretty atrocious things.

For sure, and at least the film had the grace to acknowledge that, but I don't really appreciate the film trying to go for woke points when it's using a not-so-subtle analogue for Cuba to not-so-sublty advocate for regime change.

I thought Starro was a cool villain, though, certainly cooler than the leaders of not-Cuba. I actually liked the way it went out with the rats and all, as well as their final line about staring into the stars.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original PostChaddyManPrime#927621 wrote:I for one agree, the US has done some pretty atrocious things.

For sure, and at least the film had the grace to acknowledge that, but I don't really appreciate the film trying to go for woke points when it's using a not-so-subtle analogue for Cuba to not-so-sublty advocate for regime change.

I thought Starro was a cool villain, though, certainly cooler than the leaders of not-Cuba. I actually liked the way it went out with the rats and all, as well as their final line about staring into the stars.

That Nation was a Cuba analog in the comic books, the reason it's not so subtle is because it was created by Frank Miller lol

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:43 pm

The (lol) Suicide Squad wasn't going for "woke points",
it was an answer to the smarmy chicken soup for the woke messaging in Marvel films like Captain America: The Winter Soldier where the superficially counter-cultural messages or critique of the military industrial complex always come with an "out", i.e. it was secretly Hydra the whole time. America wouldn't do this. The shadowy cabal of un-elected delegates who fired a nuclear missile at New York are actually the good guys.

Actually, nope, America would do this. Fuck 'em, they overthrew our regime, so Starro can have them. Is he a threat to the entire world? Well, obviously, but who cares, he's hurting people we don't like now. We brought over Nazi scientists, funded their research, committed grotesque experiments on the people of a puppet state, then collapsed the regime and let a giant monster loose.

Mission accomplished!

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:32 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:
it was an answer to the smarmy chicken soup for the woke messaging in Marvel films like Captain America: The Winter Soldier where the superficially counter-cultural messages or critique of the military industrial complex always come with an "out", i.e. it was secretly Hydra the whole time. America wouldn't do this. The shadowy cabal of un-elected delegates who fired a nuclear missile at New York are actually the good guys.

Actually, nope, America would do this. Fuck 'em, they overthrew our regime, so Starro can have them. Is he a threat to the entire world? Well, obviously, but who cares, he's hurting people we don't like now. We brought over Nazi scientists, funded their research, committed grotesque experiments on the people of a puppet state, then collapsed the regime and let a giant monster loose.

And, again, I appreciate that, but the message still ends up being "both sides bad". Honestly, I think the "America bad" stuff is mostly there to distract away from the regime change narrative (which the film still ultimately plays straight). Capitalism subsumes all critiques of itself. That's what I mean with "going for woke points"; It's pretending to not be imperialistic state department propaganda, when it definitely is.

That being said, I still liked the film. Comic book properties are absolutely filled with this sort of stuff, you just kind of have to take the good with the bad.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:45 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:The (lol) Suicide Squad wasn't going for "woke points",

Mission accomplished!

Wasn't the objective to destroy said monster and all research relating to it? My take was that the U.S. was fine with not-Cuba having it when our regime was in charge, but decided it was time to clean up once a regime hostile to us gained power. That's still on brand for us, but it amounts to our doing the right thing after having exhausted all other options rather than doing the wrong thing because we're a bunch of dicks.

(Though I'll note we generally don't truck with Nazis. If you look at a list of people who've been denaturalized in the U.S. -- that is, people who became citizens and later had their citizenship revoked -- the vast majority of them are Nazis, whom we extradited to Germany to stand trial for war crimes. We've actually been pretty good about that, current political trends notwithstanding.)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:14 pm

This thread was cut due to getting far to political, you know the rules people...
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Film and Video”