WTF is your avatar and sig from?(h)

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:41 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Well i have played the first game but.......2 is just so much better in like every way, system shock 1 is so goddamn hard to control i can never get very far in it, besides that quote is in both games (and im glad cause thats like THE quote for the series) so it still works :P

Still i can play system shock 1 at breaks in college as opposed to 2 which i cant run cause it needs admin for some reason

I had a paraphrased version of that quote for a while when I had a CABAL avatar.

System Shock 2 is on the Steam store at the moment if you've got a spare bit of cash.

I would have to agree that even with the 'mouse-look' mod that lets you switch between 70's-era toggle-looking and modern-day mouse-look SS1 is a difficult beast to control. It's also difficult to navigate, and if you're not careful you'll get slain pretty quickly by a cyborg. SS2, in contrast, is a bit more forgiving in terms of the enemies you can run into early on (mostly just the Many mooks with the occasional robot), has a slightly wider range of items and a slightly greater item drop rate(you can almost guarantee, for example, that one of the Many will have a soft drink and a broken shotgun). SS1 also had the really, really weird Tron-esque hacking interface, which was reduced to a simple line-and-dots mechanic in SS2. And I have heard some speculation that they were running out of money by the end of SS2 which might explain why the final two bosses can be put down fairly easily with a grenade launcher and the right grenades. It's still a great, tough game though.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:15 am

Remember that SS1 had a very adjustable difficulty system: you could scale it from hyper aggressive and intelligent enemies to placid doormats. The same puzzles and other gameplay features.

And I gotta defend Origin, Rose! They didn't become a monster: they were bought out by EA and shuttered.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:18 am

^Yeah, I never could bring myself to bring the slider all the way down to easy -o-;
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:28 am

Oh, I did! You have no idea how cathartic it can be rampaging around the Citadel and beating down lobotomized mutants with that pipe. It also made for some unintended comedy, because SHODAN would continue to make these grand threats against you, despite the fact that all of her minions were utterly incompetent.

Switching gears slightly.....

Methinks I'll retire the Lord of All Creation as my avatar for the month: penguins don't really do moustaches.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:49 am

At first I was like :gasp: but then you said "for the month".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:28 am

What, me give up on the PenPen for good? P'shaw, I say.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:54 pm

You've had the avatar for an incredibly long time-- I think you managed to last even longer than ElMariachi, with regard to not having changed your avatar since joining! I commend you for your dedication; after a while, I like to change things up. :lol:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:56 pm

:asuka_stare:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:59 pm

I wasn't here when you joined, so I don't know if it was the avatar you had at first. If it was, then you're obviously the winner. :tongue: All this is about regular posters, of course. Somebody who joined in '04 and left doesn't count here.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:55 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:You've had the avatar for an incredibly long time-- I think you managed to last even longer than ElMariachi, with regard to not having changed your avatar since joining! I commend you for your dedication; after a while, I like to change things up. :lol:

I was that much of an exceptional case?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:51 pm

The ceremony is completed. That act...it is finished. Behold him who comes....

He goes by...many names:

Some call him Shatoon: Bringer of Corn. Others call him Mickey Nine: the Dream Weaver.

Some call him Photoshop.

Others call him Tranoon: the Boiler.

Some call him Margery Keek. Others call him Captain Margaret.

Others call him......R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-rubbity-bubbity.

He is...Rudi. Rudi Van Der Saniel....jazz fusion guitarist!

(crazy guitar lick splits the sky!)

...I've been looking for an excuse to bring some Mighty Boosh into everyone's lives, and that wicked handlebar seemed as good an excuse as any. Behold he who is me for the month of November, known as Rudi.

Also as Tulla the Spider Monkey. Or Phyllis. Sometimes Zeebop Gramaphone...Zumba.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:00 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Rudi: Is it so wrong for a man to love his guitar?
Spider: It is when he puts his balls inside it and strums himself to ecstasy.

:rofl:

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Put away those spicy biscuits, Monday....
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:06 pm

What have you done Gobb!?What Have You Done!?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Fear not, for PenPen is merely taking a sabbatical to the Sub-Reaches of the Last Conscious Place. We requested a temp-avatar from the Board of Shamans...but they're a bunch of generally useless bastards, so they scuffed it off to Rudi, who was in between gigs of house sessions in Soho, and being a minor deity to an obscure tribe in Cameroon.

....he does not yet know he isn't being paid for this, so it's best not to mention it to him.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:35 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I wasn't here when you joined, so I don't know if it was the avatar you had at first. If it was, then you're obviously the winner. :tongue: All this is about regular posters, of course. Somebody who joined in '04 and left doesn't count here.

He only changed his avatar after we made a higher resolution version of it.

The same goes for CoL.

@Ray: Every time I see your avatar, I can't help but think about this guy.

SPOILER: Show
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:56 pm

It's Max Damage, from the comic book Incorruptible. It comes from a plot line where there's a case of mistaken identity between his Sidekick and an Impersonator he hired to help them out.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:12 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:(crazy guitar lick splits the sky!)
I never thought I'd come across a fan of The Boosh, here of all places - and an American no less. They're a rare breed, even here.

Every time you pick up an instrument, I'll be there inside ya; wearing ya like a glove!
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm gonna creep inside you like a warm kitten.

I discovered it completely by accident (no idea why I didn't find it, despite my love of British programming), and it was EXACTLY my kind of humor. Always glad to meet another fan of 'Da Boosh!

Chicka ow...ow...OW! Man, my hat's on fire!

....there are far too many quotable moments in that show....I love it.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:35 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:The ceremony is completed.

No.

Return to “Old Stickies”