The Children as adults

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 am

View Original PostAtropos wrote:Shinji would probably imitate Kaji and try the superspy life. But then he realizes that's not what he wants, and decides to settle down into a humble life. Because really, hasn't he earned it?

No. Not trying to make this a joke post by the way.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 am

View Original PostAtropos wrote:Shinji would probably imitate Kaji and try the superspy life.

Shinji does imitate Kaji in Anima, but it's Kensuke who becomes the superspy, Shinji imitates mainly Kaji's look and maybe his mannerism.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 am

View Original PostAtropos wrote:Shinji would probably imitate Kaji

In his acceptance of the world, perhaps; and maybe even growing water-melons,...
and try the superspy life.

...but this is just so hilariously wrong - no; just no.

But then he realizes that's not what he wants, and decides to settle down into a humble life. Because really, hasn't he earned it?

I don't know what constitutes "earning" a quiet and peaceful life (which I think is another expression of what you mean), but I think he deserves it just to balance out what he's had to go through.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 am

With Rei... Shinji did say she'd make a good mother. I suppose you could say that's just because of her reminding him of Yui, but maybe not. Rei might have a few traits that would make her into a good Yamato Nadishiko type. Also Lilith is sorta almost everything's mother. Maybe Rei would end up running an orphanage? Or considering her fondness for books something in the publishing industry? I don't think writer, maybe editor?

The problem with Asuka is that she thinks she's grown up already, and that she's built so much of her life around piloting Eva. We see how young she was when she learned she was going to pilot. I think Asuka would drift through a lot of different things before finding something she really enjoys and taking that up.

Shinji... Well like some people said he really isn't passionate about music. Actually there isn't really anything Shinji is passionate about. He's a good cook, but again cooking isn't a passion of his. In Rebuild we actually do get a few interests of his. Astronomy seems to be a new thing. But probably not a huge call for that post 2I. The other thing I thought of is working in envormental reclimation. I won't say he has a huge interest in it at any point we see, but that conversation he has with Kaji at the aquarium seems like it could serve as the seed of something.

As for Kensuke.... I knew people like him as a teenager. Some did go into the military. A bunch became prison guards (We were in the same area as the state pen) and some went on to compleatly different things.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Shinji... Well like some people said he really isn't passionate about music. Actually there isn't really anything Shinji is passionate about.

I always took that "Well, it's just that someone else sugested it..." as one of his typical half-answers. Whenever someone, typically Kaji or Misato asks him wether he likes something or wants to do something, even in cases where it's obvious that he does like it, they get something like "Uh, I don't dislike it", "I'm not sure", or "Oh well, it's just because someone else said it."

The first examples I can think of is the post-graveyard conversation in 2.0, and the answer to Kaji's question wether he likes Misato, but I'm sure I could dig up sufficient examples from the classic series as well.

The biggest example is the entire EVA piloting thing - He sticks around in Tokyo-3 because he wants his old man to notice him, because he wants to keep that semblance of a social circle he established there, and maybe even to protect them, but it takes him 12 episodes to explicitly state the "I want daddy's respect" part and 19 episodes for "I don't want anything to happen to them" and the whole damn show for "I wanna see them again because I wanna be with them." .
And here, too, the first thing he said was "Well, you all say I should do it, right?"

There is that statement from the CR that Anno apparently thinks of Shinji as the type who absolutely will not budge if he really doesn't want to do something -

He's just reluctant to just be his true self, and not always honest with himself. To some degree it's that if he makes a definite statement, he will be judged based on it, there will be opinions about it, and depending of what he's talking about, responsibility.
He chose to charge Shamshel. People are going to ask why. He's afraid of their reactions to the reason why. So he dodges the issue....

The whole music bit is just another example - at that point, Asuka and him have been living in the same house for months, and she only finds out in episode 15, because she came home earlier than planned.
Which implies that he made sure to practice when his flatmates were out of the house... in contrast, his ep26-AU-counterpart has it openly lying around in his room where visitors (like AU!Asuka) can see it.

EoTV seems to use the whole music hobby as a bit of a symbol for his "identity", with it being something of his own that he had before he came to Tokyo-3 (In that way, it's similar to Rei's books) and when we see him playing in episode 15, he does briefly close his eyes like he's immersed/enjoying it...

As a general rule, I'd say that it's not really like he's genuinely dispassionate ansdsimply doesn't have much interest in/ big emotion for the stuff and the people around him - he probably has exactly the opposite problem, he's a very emotional person liable to do short-sighted, irrational things, but he's also repressed as hell/feels like he shouldn't express these feelings (Probably because he always felt he was unwanted and thus had no right to bother others with his feelings - or the one time he threw a tantrum at Gendo who proceeded to never showed his face to him again cemented his own anger/emotions as something "very bad" in the back of his head. again, why do we call our dark sides "dark"? Because they're the parts we don't know well, because we don't want to look at them, because we decide not to accept them, that we shouldn't have them), and even if that weren't the case, he's never learned how to express them since he was always alone.
That's quite a disadvantageous combination...
Last edited by Kendrix on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:48 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:EoTV seems to use the whole music hobby as a bit of a symbol for his "identity", with it being something of his own that he had before he came to Tokyo-3 (In that way, it's similar to Rei's books) and when we see him playing in episode 15, he does briefly close his eyes like he's immersed/enjoying it...

In addition, during EoE at the beginning of the sandbox scene in Pre-Instrumentality, he compares his cello playing to his choice to come to Tokyo-3; he thought he would find what he was looking for (happiness, recognition, compassion, etc). From this, one can gather that his cello playing is a part of his identity and a way in which he (at least at one point) may have defined himself. Death and Rebirth certainly also reinforces the idea of instruments representing the characters. Yes, Shinji only picked up the cello because he was told to and never stopped, but if he had a true distaste for it, he would have rejected it at some point. He likely has a passion for the instrument that he has yet to truly realize, just as he may have a passion for life that he has yet to realize, as characterized throughout the show.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:56 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The whole music bit is just another example - at that point, Asuka and him have been living in the same room for months, and she only finds out in episode 15, because she came home earlier than planned.
Well, he normally keeps the 'cello folded up (deflated?) in his carry-bag (as we can deduce from the emptiness in his room in episode 4 when he's packed everything up), so it's not surprising she's not seen it before.

I sketched a "happy end" above; but a more likely (again, proviso that all the c2015 unpleasantness is just a passing blip) and Kaworu-free outcome would be to end up like Shinji Yamashiro in Moyoco Anno's Hataraki Man. (As she began that title after her marriage, I'm sure that there is no element of coincidence in the choice of personal name for that character)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

No cynacism intended? WHO ARE YOU?!? BO

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:55 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: Kaworu-free outcome would be to end up like Shinji Yamashiro in Moyoco Anno's Hataraki Man.

You surprise me Professor, no spoilers exist for this series , but reading the last Chapter, it seems there is still a relationship to speak of. I thought it'd turn out to be a subversion where they broke up. BP
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No cynacism intended? WHO ARE YOU?!? BO

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:31 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:a subversion where they broke up. BP
The relationship is a rocky one, and they do break up at least once -- the anime ends with Hiroko starting a fling with the photographer at the office, after Shinji missed one too many dates because he'd been desperately pulling all-nighters trying to keep things together at his work.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:10 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:In addition, during EoE at the beginning of the sandbox scene in Pre-Instrumentality, he compares his cello playing to his choice to come to Tokyo-3; he thought he would find what he was looking for (happiness, recognition, compassion, etc). From this, one can gather that his cello playing is a part of his identity and a way in which he (at least at one point) may have defined himself. Death and Rebirth certainly also reinforces the idea of instruments representing the characters. Yes, Shinji only picked up the cello because he was told to and never stopped, but if he had a true distaste for it, he would have rejected it at some point. He likely has a passion for the instrument that he has yet to truly realize, just as he may have a passion for life that he has yet to realize, as characterized throughout the show.

I think it's obvious he has some interest in the thing, as he wouldn't bother playing it if he hated it. But "some interest" does not equate to "child prodigy", as people so often assume when speaking of his musical habits. It also doesn't mean he'll be doing time in an orchestra any time soon, just as jamming in a garage band doesn't mean you'll see success as a rock star.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I think it's obvious he has some interest in the thing, as he wouldn't bother playing it if he hated it. But "some interest" does not equate to "child prodigy", as people so often assume when speaking of his musical habits. It also doesn't mean he'll be doing time in an orchestra any time soon, just as jamming in a garage band doesn't mean you'll see success as a rock star.

"Prodigy" is an iffy word to be throwing around in the first place. I can picture Shinji as an adult becoming more interested in the cello, and perhaps eventually performing, but I agree, he is by no means a natural at it. But neither is he a natural at the Eva, and the show is about choosing to live life because you want to; a musical instrument is a great way to find passion from within, so it may be natural for him to pursue the instrument more, not because he's great at it, but because he enjoys it (just like he should with his own life).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:40 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:"Prodigy" is an iffy word to be throwing around in the first place. I can picture Shinji as an adult becoming more interested in the cello, and perhaps eventually performing, but I agree, he is by no means a natural at it. But neither is he a natural at the Eva, and the show is about choosing to live life because you want to; a musical instrument is a great way to find passion from within, so it may be natural for him to pursue the instrument more, not because he's great at it, but because he enjoys it (just like he should with his own life).

Yes, agreed. That seems reasonable to me. In fact, I had a fanfic idea based loosely on this very point: basically, in an effort to find something for them to do together, Asuka decides she and Shinji are going to play duets. Her handlers back in Germany had tried to get her to play the violin, you see, and while she was passable at it she had no passion for the thing and gave it up as soon as she was able. But she figures that if the idiot likes the cello, and if it's something productive they can do instead of sniping at one another, then why not?

I never really did anything with it, but in light of Q it might be worth revisiting. Variations on a theme and all that.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

mastervampire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mastervampire » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:03 pm

I think it would be pretty interesting seeing them as adults

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 pm

I like the idea of a Shinji, Asuka and Rei replacing Gendo, Misato and Ritsuko in their respective positions some where in the future. 14 years after the Third Impact, Shinji is now a Commander with Misato by his side as the Vice Commander, Asuka is a Captain/Major and Rei, the "chief" scientist. Toji, Kensuke, and Hikari could easily be Bridge Bunnies....Well, not really, but the former two would probably in the military while Hikari would be an educator and/or housewife.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I like the idea of a Shinji, Asuka and Rei replacing Gendo, Misato and Ritsuko in their respective positions some where in the future. 14 years after the Third Impact, Shinji is now a Commander with Misato by his side as the Vice Commander, Asuka is a Captain/Major and Rei, the "chief" scientist. Toji, Kensuke, and Hikari could easily be Bridge Bunnies....Well, not really, but the former two would probably in the military while Hikari would be an educator and/or housewife.

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9677/Fanfic-Firing-Squad-Father/[/url]

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:32 am

View Original PostDream wrote:[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9677/Fanfic-Firing-Squad-Father/[/url]

:huh:

I don't get it. What does bad fan fiction have to do with my scenario? It takes place 14 years afterwards, Gendo isn't even in the picture. Shinji wouldn't be anything like him (nor would he try to be) and Misato being Vice Commander isn't a stretch either, IMHO. There's nothing about Asuka being a Captain/Major and Rei a scientist in that link you posted (at least from what I read).

:uhh:

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 am

Didn't mean to make fun of your scenario, i was just amused at the mention of Shinji as a commander since it reminded me of that fanfic.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Or there's always the scenario from Meguro's Stray Cat
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Image Image
Modulo what the hell's going on with NERV still being around in 2025, Asuka following Ritsuko's career path seems fairly plausible to me, if business is carrying on as usual.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Or there's always the scenario from Meguro's Stray Cat

I've always thought she'd favor her mother's path instead, but yes, this does seem plausible. Or at least, it seems like something she could do; I'm not sure she would given that she doesn't seem to be very academically inclined (note she's never seen studying, reading anything of substance, etc. No matter her capabilities her interests don't seem to lie in the realm of research).

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:31 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Or there's always the scenario from Meguro's Stray Cat

There's an additional image missing from the pictures you posted, if you know what I mean.

:hahaha:

Bagheera, that's more or less exactly the reason why I believe Rei would be the scientist/researcher, although I don't believe it's because Asuka academically inclined. Perhaps it's just laziness? She just seems like a much more active person than that to be researching, anyways. As a Captain/Major, IMHO, she'd be in a position of authority, so she could totally order and boss people around (whether they like it or not). Going by episode 11, Asuka does seem to have some excellent leadership skills (IMHO).

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”