Evangelion 3.0 & EoE: A potential parallel connection?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:59 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:back in time to attempt to prevent Human Instrumentality

Hasn't been very succesful it seems. xD
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Hasn't been very succesful it seems. xD

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 pm

I don't think there's a loop so much as alternate versions of the same general events/actions, possibly taken by the same people ... but sometimes not.

For example, Asuka seems to be vaguely on Misato's EoE route. But that's all i've got right now.

It doesn't hang together well enough for a reboot, but "retellings of the same story" is essentially meaningless. So what if Kaworu has some insight that there are many ways the same story is being retold across many world lines? What does it matter? Shinji can't pull an Okabe Rintarou and leap across world lines - he's stuck where he is and has to make the best of it.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 am

^
This. The only one who could be remotely suspected of time looping or world line crossing is Kaworu, with his "I'm eager to meet you again, Ikari Shinji-kun" and "This time, I'll make you happy", or his insistence of repeating the same thing over and over again until one is satisfied with the results.

And I'm find with it, as long as it's restricted to Kaworu and only implied, the manga already did enough damages with the reset ending, no need to add fuel on the fire.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:43 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:

Had to save that to my PC. :lol:

I think of Kaworu as a meta character. Something like that. Wasn't Kaworu supposed to be the ideal version of Shinji, and a shadow of Anno? I think he is Anno trying to help his anime self, and aware of the fact that these are films, and that the story is repeating.

Maybe Kaworu just repeats the story because he laughs his ass off everytime Shinji fails.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:54 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The Time loop theory . . . . we meet again. . .

And it's just as dumb as every other time we've met. Can we not do this again? The thematic parallels this thread's exploring are actually interesting, so let's not derail it with stupid sequel BS.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:And it's just as dumb as every other time we've met. Can we not do this again? The thematic parallels this thread's exploring are actually interesting, so let's not derail it with stupid sequel BS.

Well if Anno introduced some stupid SciFi BS, it wouldn't necessarily take away from the thematic parallels. But I'd rather have no time loop. :tongue:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”