Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Who watches Pacific Rim for the characters anyway.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:18 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Who watches Pacific Rim for the characters anyway.

But if the characters suck and the monsters are boring what's left? At least Godzilla gave me Brian Cranston and Ken Watanabe and Godzilla (complete with fuckin' awesome fire breath and THAT TAIL) and the Mutos, who had a motivation that was worth a shit. What does Pac Rim give me? Lol!aliens and jack shit. No thanks. If you can't make either your robots or your monsters interesting the movie's a no sell on my end.

Mileage varies, of course, but Godzilla did it right IMO. Pac Rim 2 needs monsters that matter to make it worthwhile.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 pm

You watch it for the fucking robots punching the shit out of monsters.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 pm

I think we went to see Pacific Rim for the robots, not the monsters. And let's be honest, they looked pretty sweet, even if they were a bit dorky at times.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 pm

But the robots sucked, and the cool ones jobbed for the lame ones. Fuck that.

Seriously, the Russians and the Chinese got a raw deal in that flick, and what was with Idris Elba getting totally fucked so that old white guy could survive? You don't even have to be SJW to be going "WTF?" at that point.

And if you're not watching a kaiju movie for the monsters you're doing it wrong.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:47 pm

That's what happens when commies fight for FREEDOM.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 pm

Ok, finally time to open up my opinion on Pacific Rim.

I LOVE this movie. Everything about it.

The action? Great.

The robot designs? Great.

The story? Predictable, yes, but still good enough for what the film was trying to do.

The characters? Overall great, even if stereotypical.

The universe? My favourite aspect of the film. I'm a huge advocate of world building in films, and if you can get into the film's universe in less then a minute like this film did, you've done something right.

If it wasn't for Gravity this would have been my favourite film of 2013.

As for the sequel? This picture sums everything for me.

"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:50 pm

I think its good. . . I've stated my opinion on it on the 'last movie you watched' thread. . .so I don't feel my need to bring it up in great detail here.

It's probably the closest we will ever get to a LAEM. . .Eva stripped of its angst.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Pacific Rim isn't like Eva at all. They differ on probably the most important thing: Aesthetics.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:09 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They differ on probably the most important thing: Aesthetics.

Who are you, and what have you done with my Chuckman?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:21 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Pacific Rim isn't like Eva at all. They differ on probably the most important thing: Aesthetics.

Here's something someone said about Pacific Rim when I said it 'wasn't an Evangelion ripoff.

He was a total asshole about it by the way.

SPOILER: Show

RAY Wrote:
Do Idris Elba, Rinko, and Charlie Hunnam look like adolescents to you? Do any of the Jaegers in the trailer fight with teeny little knife things? Does the trailer contain a ton of weird religious symbolism? Any broody guys with glasses? Weird penguin things? Do the damaged robots seem to have a bunch of biological goo inside or do they seem like pretty straight up machines? Will the film likely have a downer mindscrew ending like Evangelion, or a positive ending considering its a tentpole summer blockbuster?

Giant Robots fighting monsters does NOT = Evangelion rip off.

“I felt there was a chance to do something fresh, something new that at the same time was conscious of the heritage, but not a pastiche or an homage or a greatest hits of everything. One of the first things I did is make it a point to not check any old movies or any other references. Like start from scratch.”

-Guillermo Del Toro.

The Jackass Wrote:
Does Rinko Kikuchi look like a scared adolescent to you?

Yes, Elba, Rinko and Hunnam are much older. You do know that equal opportunity extends to age as well, yes? Besides, Evangelion is kinda messed-up with under-aged nudity and groping and stuff, so unless you are into pedophilia, that crap has to go.

Do the Jaegers fight with knives and guns or built in weapons?

No Progressive Knife, but the retractable blades on the Striker Eureka Jaegar should serve the same function. The main thing is, an Eva or Jaegar has to resort to fight with melee weapons rather than ranged weapons, including tactical nuclear missiles.

I don't see any weird Crosses or Kabbalistc Technobabble

Evangelion heavily uses Christian references, which may not be appreciated outside Japan to put it mildly. So, I would change that and "preventing the Third Impact" to something more universally understood, like, I don't know, "cancelling the apocalypse"?

Evangelion also uses German terms like "Nerv" (meaning "nerve" in English) and "Seele" (meaning "soul"). Did you know "Jaegar" means "Hunter" in German?

"Will it have a big mind screw ending or the more likely Box Office success of a Hollywood happy Ending?"

What ending? A lot of Eva fans hated the original mindscrew ending (Gainax ran out of budget) so they made another one, which is more action-packed but still blows. I am still waiting for a new ending in the Rebuild series, which hopefully does not involve Shinji choking poor Asuka who is semingly comatose on beach. Unless you are into S&M too.

"Do you see any weird Penguin things?

Why is the penguin stuff important? Pen Pen. . . barely shows up. If you are going to rip something off, you can get rid of that without too much fuss.

"Do the Jaegers appear to be filled with biological goo? Or do they appear to be more traditional straightforward robots?

Biological goo? You mean the LCL fluid that a pilot immersed into inside an Eva? Funny you should ask . . .

He also went on to insult my intelligence by comparing me to Shinji and saying Guillermo was involved with Peter Jacksons studio Weta Workshops and obviously drew inspiration from the LAEM that fell into development hell.

He's also the one person on the internet who liked M. Night Shyamalans Last Airbender. . .

He claims Del Toro lied about the whole 'not drawing from reference'. . . thing.

So yeah. . . in the end. . .pacific Rim? good movie? Yes. NGE ripoff? maybe?

But hey, if Hollywood was going to make all these changes anyway, at least they got a decent director behind it and released it under a completely different name and brand.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:50 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Pacific Rim isn't like Eva at all. They differ on probably the most important thing: Aesthetics.

Along with everything else. Seriously, every time people try to say the two have something in common I'm like "really? You're stretching pretty far there, dude." And that's with the "obvious" stuff. With everything else I can only lolololol.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:11 am

The only thing I could see similar is that the pilot has to mentally synchronize with the robot and that the shut-down command never works when it should. :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:22 am

The biggest connection that I can make is the LCL. I mean, it's kind of hard to get around that one just from looking at it. Everything else is a stretch, I agree.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:37 am

ElMariachi: They sync with the robot and another person. That last bit is far more important, and very not-Eva (well, not technically, but people making the comparison aren't thinking of Evas as people anyway).

Nuke: That's one of the stretch ones, yeah. The fluid's in their suits, not the cockpits, and as such it's about as much like Eva as The Abyss or Event Horizon. And if I remember right they're not even breathing it anyway.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:42 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:ElMariachi: They sync with the robot and another person. That last bit is far more important, and very not-Eva (well, not technically, but people making the comparison aren't thinking of Evas as people anyway).

And then EVA-13 and 8+2 comes and spins everything on its head! :lol:

More seriously, the similarity I was pointing was more the mental link and synchronization part than who or what they synchronize with. And as you noted, Evas are technically living beings.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:47 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And then EVA-13 and 8+2 comes and spins everything on its head! :lol:

More seriously, the similarity I was pointing was more the mental link and synchronization part than who or what they synchronize with. And as you noted, Evas are technically living beings.

But even so, it's handled very differently in PR. The notion that it's a ripoff doesn't make any sense.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:52 am

I never said that it was a direct connection or an obvious inspiration, just that it's the only point that I thought could eventually be compared with Eva.

By the way for the records, Del Toro said in twitter that he never saw Evangelion, but admitted that he should give it a try when he'll have time.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:22 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:By the way for the records, Del Toro said in twitter that he never saw Evangelion, but admitted that he should give it a try when he'll have time.

What rabid fanboy would ever believe that, though? :lol:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Aesthteics of Robos. BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:22 pm

The only aesthetic connections I made to Eva were the metallic spines of their suits that reminded me of the Evas themselves, not the plug suits (although, maybe the screws...?), and the Japanese girl having a bob cut with blue hair-tips, which we of course now know was a complete coincidence with an in-universe explanation.

Maybe also when the characters happened to be standing on scaffolding in front of the robot, but hell, I can't think of a Giant Robot show where that doesn't happen at least once. If you have a giant robot, you want to show it off, even when it's just standing there. Same to the elevator.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Film and Video”