Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:00 am

I liked the designs of the Kaiju in PR but slapping a couple lines onto 'em and calling them "colourful" is a bit of a stretch.

;)

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Though my favorite part in Godzilla 2014 was the MUTO meeting up & snuggling each other.

It's a great part, and Edwards has shown a precedent of really adding depth to his creatures. In particular check out the final scene in his début Monsters (2010). You'll get what I mean.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 am

I always thought the PR Kaiju were a million times better than the MUTOs. They were colourful, imaginative, and fucking menacing. The MUTOs looked like they were made of plastic.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 am

^ I liked the monster from Pacific Rim better as well. Some of the kaiju look like they were influenced by some of the old Gamera monsters as well.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Things I want to see in a Pacific Rim sequel. . .

1. More Asian actors in lead roles. . . I'd like to see Steven Yuen or Ken Watanabe piloting a Jaeger.

2. Jaegers vs Jaegers. Seriously it would be Epic.

3. More character development. . .most everyone in the original was a basic anime archtype/stereotype.

4. Make it darker, up the stakes, have a main character from the first film get killed. The original was 'A New Hope', make the sequel "Empire Strikes Back".

5. Make Mako the lead character. Seriously, Raleigh was okay but just boring , make the more interesting character the lead please?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:46 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I liked the designs of the Kaiju in PR but slapping a couple lines onto 'em and calling them "colourful" is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah. The problem isn't the designs, they were pretty good. The problem is that they had no screentime, and thus no personality. The Mutos blew them away by compare.

It's a great part, and Edwards has shown a precedent of really adding depth to his creatures. In particular check out the final scene in his début Monsters (2010). You'll get what I mean.

Yeah. It's clear he knows what he's doing. Give him some room to maneuver and we'll see great things as a result.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Someone freeze me until 2017.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:48 am

I watched Pacific Rim last night; it was OK, I guess. I couldn't see any reason to relate it to Evangelion, though, and have no interest in a sequel.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:27 am

So Del Toro is talking to a few anime companies into doing the animation for his 13 episode Pacific Rim bridge series. Excitement continues.

[url]http://collider.com/pacific-rim-animated-series-details/[/url]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:55 pm

So should we expect like 'The Animatrix?" A different animation studio and style for each episode?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 pm

From the way he talks about it I would figure they're looking for one anime house to primarily do all the work. If Del Toro is a fan of long overarching narratives in anime & not interested in making just a series of one off episodes then I can't imagine he'd be big into the idea of each episode looking entirely different from each other.

Just go with Khara & let Imaishii do whatever he wants with the material Del Toro. You know you want too.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 pm

At the very least, I look forward to seeing what they can come up with. At worst, I don't like it. At best, it's awesome. Need I consider anything else?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 am

Over the weekend, the 53rd Japan Science Fiction Convention announced the winners of the 45th Seiun Awards.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-22/the-world-of-narue-pacific-rim-win-seiun-awards/.76842

The Best Dramatic Presentation
Pacific Rim - Guillermo del Toro's live-action sci-fi film was chosen over Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Psycho-Pass, the live-action film Gravity, Patema Inverted, and Girls und Panzer.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:17 am

They picked Pacific Rim over Yamato?!?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

The original Yamato already won it, that might have been a factor.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

SuperTechmarine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperTechmarine » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:03 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:So Del Toro is talking to a few anime companies into doing the animation for his 13 episode Pacific Rim bridge series. Excitement continues.

[url]http://collider.com/pacific-rim-animated-series-details/[/url]

*fingers crossed* Please be Studio Bones. Please be Studio Bones!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:26 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:The original Yamato already won it, that might have been a factor.

In that case I would have given it to Patema Inverted or Girls und Panzer, but I'm rather obviously not a fan of PR so there's some bias there. I do think PI and GuP are better works, though (I prefer all of those to PR, apart from Yamato (yes, I know I'm strange), but can't say the others are necessarily better works).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mechs&Tech
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mechs&Tech » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:21 pm

I think the bridge raising shot with Crimson Typhoon reminded me a hell of a lot of the prototype Eva scene in the original series.
Unhealthy robot fanatic since 92.

Nerd stuff and sketches.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Pacific Rim II has been put on "Indefinite Hold"

http://www.avclub.com/article/pacific-rim-2-has-been-delayed-indefinitely-225459

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Pacific Rim II has been put on "Indefinite Hold"

http://www.avclub.com/article/pacific-rim-2-has-been-delayed-indefinitely-225459

Them fucking execs. They're all trying to focus on making China the primary market just to recoup losses from Sparrows.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Pacific Rim II has been put on "Indefinite Hold"

This is me not caring. If Godzilla 2014 paves the way for future monster movies in the U.S. I'm totally good with that. It was a far better film than PR in every respect, despite it's many egregious failings.

Return to “Film and Video”