Who will die in Final.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Who will die in Final.

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:33 am

I really want Wille to have a fleet of Jet Alones in Final as a counterpoint to Nerv's olive drab Eva posse. The JA can finally redeem itself, and Khara can fill the movie's gratuitous violence quota with lots of JA on Eva Drone carnage! :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Reminds me of Reticence!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sakura Shiro
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sakura Shiro » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:37 pm

it would be awesome though if Reticence had a bit of an influence on Final's story arch ^_^
Its fortunate; living one more life than the ordinary person. One life, dedicated to the life I live. The other, to escape that one other life through art. When I die, I want my art to live on. -Rose Fellelyn

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:00 pm

View Original PostSakura Shiro wrote:it would be awesome though if Reticence had a bit of an influence on Final's story arch ^_^

Eh. Reticence is good, but some of the characterization reads like a checklist of complaints from an anti-Wille thread.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:10 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:What do ya need me for, Driftking? :huh:

What's the source, Sakura?

A leaked script by the Japanese studio Khara wouldn't be posted in English either way... Fake for sure, claims of leaks are nothing new for the NTE series (so many forum posts about this sorta thing over the years). Khara's been super secretive about New Theatrical Edition throughout the years, to boot.

Fuyutsuki in Wille's company when he's supposedly with Gendo is suspect too. It all reads like a fanfic script. Kensuke cameo was hilarious.

Yeah, the Kensuke bit made me skeptical, and I got you mixed up with Sakura. :asuka_miffed:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:51 am

Sakura's found script on the last page probably has a fake source, but where on Earth would the JA be going that it takes 90 days to get there? Even at a plodding pace of 50mph (for a robot), it could circumnavigate the Earth about four times. :huh:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:34 pm

What the heck is a Reticence?

And am I reading vague mentions of a leaked Final script out there cause that's 100% a fake. Khara has this project locked down tight and nothing is getting out unless they want it too.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:48 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:What the heck is a Reticence?

Reticence is a 3.0+1.0/Final fan fiction that does a fairly good job of ending the Rebuild series.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9382989/1/Reticence

More of a "what if", but it's pretty good.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Reticence is what you read if you want more fighting than my equivalent offering gives you (and in that regard I admit it's probably somewhat closer to what we'll get).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:12 pm

My ancient pre-3.0 release fic which is in here somewhere tried to wrap up 3.0/Final nicely...But it was of course not knowing what we do now about 3.0. Wow, I thought my early 2000s Sailormoon fics felt old, now these do!

Honestly, I'm of the mindset that in FINAL, there might be some "epic final battle" casualties, but the main major characters will survive--Assuming we get something like a happy end. If they kill off adorable Sakura though I'll be very sad :(
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:18 pm

View Original PostSakura Shiro wrote:JET ALONE RISES FROM WITHIN TERMINAL DOGMA, CARRYING A LANCE OF LONGINUS. KENSUKE AIDA STARTS TO PLAY UNIT 02’S THEME ON HIS TRUMPET

I couldn't help myself  SPOILER: Show

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Reticence is what you read if you want more fighting than my equivalent offering gives you (and in that regard I admit it's probably somewhat closer to what we'll get).

Reticence kind of takes the "Everybody hates Shinji" myth a bit too far IMO, though.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 am

View Original PostLennik wrote:Reticence kind of takes the "Everybody hates Shinji" myth a bit too far IMO, though.

It takes a lot of things too far, honestly. I can't imagine 3.0+1.0 will look anything like that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Yeah, the Wunder eating those MP Evas to evolve was taking things a little too far and I didn't like the way Rei Q's character development was thrown under the bus by having Rei II reformat her.

I'm not too worried about any of the Children dying except maybe one of the Reis. I'm more worried that Misato is going to pull a Captain Nemo and sacrifice herself and the Wunder to disable one of Nerv's weapons so the others can have a chance to escape. Turning her into Nemo 2.0 was a great callback and made sense as a direction for her character, but it also sent up a pretty big death flag. :uhh:

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Tumblin' Down Tumblin' Down Tumblin' Down
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』
『Hope Always Remains.In The End』

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:08 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I'm not too worried about any of the Children dying except maybe one of the Reis. I'm more worried that Misato is going to pull a Captain Nemo and sacrifice herself and the Wunder to disable one of Nerv's weapons so the others can have a chance to escape. Turning her into Nemo 2.0 was a great callback and made sense as a direction for her character, but it also sent up a pretty big death flag. :uhh:

Considering how she went down in EoE, I'd say that she had a moderately sized death flag hovering over her to begin with (as does the world for that matter). Although at the very least I hope she's not going to have to sacrifice herself for Shinji again.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:48 pm

Killing Misato for Shinji's sake wouldn't pack the same narrative punch since their relationship is so different in this version. It'd just be one more thing for Shinji to feel guilty about and somewhat redundant since he thinks Kaworu died because of him.

I feel like 2.0 and 3.0 deliberately cleared away the lingering death flags from EoE. Asuka gets mauled by an Eva and survives, Rei gets absorbed by an Angel and survives, Misato and co. survived the JSSDF invasion of Nerv. Kaworu still died but the circumstances were different and he brought that on himself.

The movies repeat the theme of living through hardship and learning to cope. Can't do that if everyone's dead. :tongue:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:28 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Rei gets absorbed by an Angel and survives

By that logic, Rei didn't die in NGE either.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:33 pm

^Well, no she just self destructs her Eva to kill the Angel in NGE. Literally just did my rewatch of NGE and her death in Eps 23 isn't the same as her being absorbed at the end of 2.0.

She isn't around sure, but we are told she still exist in the Eva with Yui by Fuyu during 3.0.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:12 pm

My point was that Rei, in 2.0, actually DOES die. She's been eaten and digested. She has no body of her own. She's dead. (Her soul still being active doesn't negate this, considering so many cultures have in place contingencies for post-death spiritual activity. Ghosts, for instance.) If dying and then having your soul moved into a vessel that's still alive means you "survived" (= never actually died), then, logically, Rei 2 in NGE didn't die either, since her soul was promptly moved into a new body. You could say that NGE!Rei survived even better than her NME counterpart, since at least she got her own body which she can autonomously control, and isn't trapped in the core of an Eva that already had someone in it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”