Who will die in Final.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Who's gonna die?

Why everyone's gonna die of course!

Because it's all gonna come tumbling down, tumbling down!

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:08 am

^
Yeah, they'll just go Rebuild it again, again. A never ending cycle of Rebuilding.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:39 am

Gendo, Fuyutuski & Rei (all versions of her), and Unit 01.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:01 am

^
Actually, I think that Rei Q is the one with the better chances to survive, since her character arc seems to be focused on finding her own identity and life, away from the shadow of Rei Ayanami who attract tragedy like moths are attracted by a flame.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:59 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Actually, I think that Rei Q is the one with the better chances to survive, since her character arc seems to be focused on finding her own identity and life, away from the shadow of Rei Ayanami who attract tragedy like moths are attracted by a flame.

While I do like Rei Q better than Rei II, there's also the fact that Rei never survives in the canon series and I don't see that changing in Final.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:52 am

View Original PostCosmo11 wrote:While I do like Rei Q better than Rei II, there's also the fact that Rei never survives in the canon series and I don't see that changing in Final.

Except that Rei Q isn't Rei Ayanami, that's why I say that she could have her chance.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:21 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Well I don't understand why people are assuming Final is going to be the last movie, we are obviously going to get a 5th movie in which Shinji comes back as the true last angel and has to battle Giant Naked Pen-Pen, the new God of the world in who uses Wille and Neo-Nerv as his toys. The battle will have triple the anime graphics of life, and will be released when the real 3rd Impact occurs. It will end with Shinji and Asuka waking up on a beach, confessing their love for eachother and making out. To which there will be an epilogue that shows Asuka cooking for Shinji, her most true role since getting choked out by Shinji in EOE.

... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously now- I will actually go ahead and be a first to maybe not say something like this, but the first once to refrence where my thought comes from.

Shinji in Final needs to evolve to the new world he has unintentionally created, or he must die. This is a complete refrence to what 343 Industries has said about the Master Chief for Halo 5. However I believe it is relevant to Shinji, as he did create the world he is miserably living in, I say he also has the opportunity to change with it as well. There are also characters like Asuka, Misato, and he'll even ReiQ who might help him along the journey that he will take when Final releases. By evolving in the new world, part of it would be learning to deal with all the suffering and pain he has gone though. Which is the same thing that he does in EOE, and the rebuilds are still said to be a reconstruction of NGE. So it is t out of the realm of possibility that he will end up doing the same in Final, and again Asuka and Rei are around and he'll even Mari might help him a bit.

So simply put my thought as, In Final, Shinji will under go once tremendous change, it might be a deeper understanding of life and learning how to deal with pain, it may be death. I just presented the reason as to why Shinji wouldn't die, he is after all the MC.

And never forget the chance a see Shinji with a ponytail. I want a three years after epilogue
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:27 am

^Asuka would like that a lot wouldn't she?

*Looks for fan-art of Shinji with PonyTail*

Unrelated but Related to topic, Guessing for Final now is just Meh, I liked doing it when I first joined back in the summer, but now I have no expectations for final. If Anno decides that Shinji will kill off Asuka for [Insert Reason] then so be it. If Gendo turns into a Monolith and they Fuyu shuts him off, again so be it.

As said before I trust Anno to give the series the conclusion it needs. EoE was the conclusion for NGE, and involved the death and rebirth of at least Shinji and Asuka. If the same thing happens, hey that's fine. People will still hate the movie because it is Evangelion 3.0+1.0, people will hate certain events just because.

If Anno kills everyone off in the Eva-verse and doesn't bring them back.. would be a pretty clear message to the fans wouldn't it? (About the whole Franchise that is).
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:59 am

^Killing everyone off and not bringing them back? That's a bold move and I for one I totally support it. The rage would be simply awe inspiring to behold and so very, very delicious too. :devil:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:18 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:If Anno kills everyone off in the Eva-verse and doesn't bring them back.. would be a pretty clear message to the fans wouldn't it? (About the whole Franchise that is).

What kind of ending would that be? :irked:

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm

^

Definite and FINAL :devil:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Simple Ray, he's done with Evangelion.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm

View Original PostDr. Talos wrote:^Killing everyone off and not bringing them back? That's a bold move and I for one I totally support it. The rage would be simply awe inspiring to behold and so very, very delicious too. :devil:
But that would be even more of a troll than the EOE ending.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:But that would be even more of a troll than the EOE ending.

It would be the troll of the decade, a monument to all trolls throughout all history, a troll I would remember for my entire life. No matter how depressing it would be there would be some part of me that would have to nod my head in respect for such an epic troll.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:18 am

View Original PostDr. Talos wrote:It would be the troll of the decade, a monument to all trolls throughout all history, a troll I would remember for my entire life. No matter how depressing it would be there would be some part of me that would have to nod my head in respect for such an epic troll.

Meh, Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt did the troll ending better.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:57 am

Sakura will die in Eva Shin. She will be killed by the FoI that her brother turned into. I would be surprised of Anno didn't use that situation he built up in the narrative to its fullest.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:00 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Sakura will die in Eva Shin. She will be killed by the FoI that her brother turned into. I would be surprised of Anno didn't use that situation he built up in the narrative to its fullest.

That imply that the FoIs contains the souls of people that died during whatever the hell happened back then. And if it's what happened, then it still leaves the question of why the NERV staff was spared that fate.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:13 am

^ The answer that requires the least amount of assumptions is simply that Gendo had (has?) other uses for the Nerv Staff. Even since their conversion to Willie they seem to be doing exactly what he wanted them to do, and they can’t seem to do that while also being several tones of limp failures. FoIs don’t fit inside a AAA Wunder that easily.

That’s most likely the why of the situation. Any explanation about the how of it requires sci-fi technobabble that will only be interesting or worth discussing after it’s been exposited by a character much more knowledgable in it than we are. (My money’s on either Ritsuko or Fuyutsuki. If NTE Ritsuko is anything like NGE Ritsuko, she probably shares NTE Fuyutsuki’s fondness of relaying the past to others.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:24 am

^
That would mean that whatever happened happened with Lilith, the 12th Angel... was planed and controlled by Gendo, yet everything we saw in Q points toward his A plan from 14 years ago to had gone irremediably down the gutter and that he's now trying to scramble a B plan using EVA-13 instead of 01 as its centerpiece.

Personally I feel that whatever happened 14 years ago was planned nor desired by anyone, except the Angels.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:22 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
That would mean that whatever happened happened with Lilith, the 12th Angel... was planed and controlled by Gendo, yet everything we saw in Q points toward his A plan from 14 years ago to had gone irremediably down the gutter and that he's now trying to scramble a B plan using EVA-13 instead of 01 as its centerpiece.

See, I always felt that the weird stuff with the 12th Angel happened long after the people became FoIs, and was therefore a different incident all together. Especially since we didn’t see any clues of the 12th Angel’s presence at the end of 2.22, which was the only incident that Q implied turned the people into FoIs. Kaworu doesn’t mention the incident with the 12th Angel as being the same incident as the “FoIs are people!!!” incident, so I never thought to conflate the two as the same incident.

Think of the 14 year time gap like this:

N3I____________|insert something related to the 12th Angel here, we’re not sure exactly where just yet|____________Events of Q
|------------------------------------------------------- 14 years -------------------------------------------------------|

So, N3I happens, and people turn into FoI. Done. Gendo's happy, Seele’s befuddled, and Shinji’s stuck in a meaty tin can. But Shinji obviously can’t do much as an Impact Trigger if Yui’s hogging him all to herself, or either Nerv or Seele would be able to progress their plans. So Gendo plays the waiting game. See, he’s learned his lesson about trying got convince Yui of things by using the Dummy Plug, so he lets her make her own damn mind about Shinji this time around, waiting for her to come around to seeing things his way, all while Yui is putting Gendo in the doghouse. You know, typical marriage stuff.
(I’d be willing to bet money that Seele tried something, though. If they did, it clearly didn’t work.)

Then some time after that, the 12th Angel comes in and starts ruining everything. We know it probably jumps from Eva to Eva because it infected Mark.06.

Beyond all that, I’m willing to speculate a few things.

SPOILER: Show
The 12th Angel probably possessed and damaged Unit 02 in some fashion before infecting Mark.06. (The similar locations of Asuka and Unit 02’s injuries are too many to think that they’re not sharing the same kind of Angelic damage.) Down every Eva Nerv has, Gendo launches Unit 01 into space so that 12th Angel can’t get to it, and Kaworu sticks the infected Mark.06 on Lilith to keep the thing from somehow still reaching the Impact Trigger. Kaworu probably helped Gendo because he still hasn’t shown Shinji happiness yet, and he can’t do that if the 12th Angel galavants off with him. (Also, the 12th Angel probably violated some sort of Angelic Bro Code by trying to snatch Shinji like that, and Kaworu won’t let that fly.) Unit 02’s Angelic infection causes it to end up in a much larger version of Asuka’s Angel Coffin for safety and research reasons, and Nerv is forced to build a Unit 08 for Mari.

Then a few more years go by, during which is probably when Misato decided to leave Nerv and start Wille. She uses Mari and Unit 08 to break Asuka and Unit 02 from their research coffins, and jump ship. Down every Eva Nerv has ever owned, Gendo gives in and collaborates with Seele on building Unit 13 and a handful of Mark.04s. They figure the Mark.04’s could buy them some time by slowing Wille down as they scramble to push out a Unit 13.) Figuring that just being at Wille would be much better when to came to coaxing Shinji out of Yui, Gendo only uses the battles with the Mark.04s to slow Wille down and time the acquiring of Shinji until Unit 13 was almost ready.

Some time after Gendo reworked his plan to incorporate an altered Lilith and a collaboration with Seele, Misato deploys Asuka and Mari to get Unit 01 back so Wille can rage against Nerv properly. Yui discharges Shinji at Wille because, hey, at least they're not that neck-bearded psychopath (she and Gendo still haven’t kissed and made up since that whole Dummy Plug incident), and that’s probably how we got to now.

Though honestly, the FoI that Toji turned into doesn’t need to retain the same soul in order to still be the same physical body of Toji. And the question of the how or why of the Nerv Staff’s resistance to turning into FoI still stands regardless of whether or not the FoIs retain their original souls. So really, this whole tangent was pointless. Toji’s soulless FoI body can kill Sakura just as easily as Toji’s soul-bound FoI body. Either way, she’s dead in a poetically tragic way.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”