Manga to end June 4th

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 11:22 am

It will forever be remembered as that thing that started the year before we got Duke Nukem 3D, and finished 2 years after we got Duke Nukem Forever.

Yes, it took that long.
Last edited by Elect G-Max on Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 am

The end of an era :salute:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Oh shit dude, he even went in full "don't talk shit about my waifu" mode in volume 10:
SPOILER: Show

I liked this scene now that I think about it...

Shinji states that his feelings for Rei aren't romantic somewhere halfway through the manga (whether you want to believe him or not is really up to you). I haven't said anything about him not caring a lot about her (their bond is unique and very strong and you probably know why). That scene is after
Rei's'death (if i'm not mistaken)
a reaction like that is expected.

Where is written that it's necessary to portrait it?

It's been 19 years since he began, i'm pretty sure he isn't going to leave anything unresolved. I honestly don't see why he should skip over their relationship after giving closure to Shinji/Misato, Shinji/Rei, Shini/Gendo/Yui (in the last chapter)...

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I hope there will be an announcement with the end of the manga, and if its a Rebuild manga, what I would love is

Q  SPOILER: Show
a manga about the events of the 14 years time skip, although due to the potentially insane things that happened we could glimpse of in 3.0, I think only an animated adaptation could do it justice!

A TV-series with 26 episodes would be perfect.An OVA would take much time to finish.I dont want another Gundam Unicorn.

Q SPOILERS
Kaworu,Asuka,Mari the main characters.Not a question left for the 14 years gap.And when the series end the release date of FINAL.I can dream right?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon May 06, 2013 1:07 pm

View Original PostAlphaGamma wrote:Shinji states that his feelings for Rei aren't romantic somewhere halfway through the manga (whether you want to believe him or not is really up to you).

Actually I don't even remember reading anything like that, do you remember the exact chapter or at least the relevant volume?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 06, 2013 1:25 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Oh shit dude, he even went in full "don't talk shit about my waifu" mode in volume 10:

I liked this scene now that I think about it...

Oh sure, one of his friends just kamikazed herself up to save them all, and the other pilot comes and say she was an idiot, there is sure as hell no reason to get angry... :irked:
Frankly it could have been Rei, Asuka, Toji, Misato or even fucking Gendo he would have reacted the same way.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Actually I don't even remember reading anything like that, do you remember the exact chapter or at least the relevant volume?

Chapter 31, during the NERV blackout :
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Oh sure, one of his friends just kamikazed herself up to save them all, and the other pilot comes and say she was an idiot, there is sure as hell no reason to get angry... :irked:
Frankly it could have been Rei, Asuka, Toji, Misato or even fucking Gendo he would have reacted the same way.

It was Rei for a reason, nothing happens at random in fiction, Sadamoto wanted to show how he was affected by Rei's death in particular, honestly Shinji didn't seem very bothered by Touji's death if you ask me, his reaction wasn't very different compared to what we see in NGE from what I remember.
View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Chapter 31, during the NERV blackout :

Which only says that he's not "superficially" attracted by Rei, he's not into the kind of relation that Asuka was referring to. He didn't want to "go out with" Rei, he wanted to "go on living with her":

if that's not a declaration of love...
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Shinchan, honest question: do you have siblings? Because I can tell you for real that if I lost a sister (or any other close family, far as that goes) I'd feel exactly like Shinji describes here.

Not saying he doesn't have feelings for Rei in the manga, mind; just noting that it's possible to love people a great deal in completely non-romantic ways, and wondering if you'd recognize the difference.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 4:14 pm

I definitely don't feel anywhere near as close to my brothers as Shinji is describing here. I'm siding with Hyper-Shinchan; Sadamoto is pretty clearly a S/R shipper.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 pm

No matter if Shinji really felt romantic or brotherly love for Rei and if Sadamoto really is a R/S shipper or not, the fact is that they can't be together : Shinji is a simple mortal and Rei is back to her status as omniscient Progenitor/Goddess of mankind.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue May 07, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Shinchan, honest question: do you have siblings? Because I can tell you for real that if I lost a sister (or any other close family, far as that goes) I'd feel exactly like Shinji describes here.

Not saying he doesn't have feelings for Rei in the manga, mind; just noting that it's possible to love people a great deal in completely non-romantic ways, and wondering if you'd recognize the difference.

I think that's what Shinchan was referring to: That Shinji and Rei's relationship was more sibling-like than anything. At least that's the impression i got from reading his post.

On topic: I can't say i care much. I have never read the manga, even though i probably should given the Rei scenes.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 8:11 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:No matter if Shinji really felt romantic or brotherly love for Rei and if Sadamoto really is a R/S shipper or not, the fact is that they can't be together : Shinji is a simple mortal and Rei is back to her status as omniscient Progenitor/Goddess and mankind.

Well, obviously nothing would happen after EoE. But people like to speculate about things going differently.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:11 pm

I am admittedly looking forward to the end of the manga rather than rebuild. I like to see how different Shinji is during the run of the manga and how the EoE arc gave Shinji more likability. Sure I think the anime is superior but the manga is still a good read. I just want Asuka to have very good closure due to the fact shes not Shinji's love interest(or whatever you like to call it, shes much more nicer to him than the anime despite trying to kill him first). I'm not sure what would happen if Shinji and Asuka actually went together, that would just seem too much like a low blow. I know its Eva but the EoE arc is a lot more lighter than the anime despite some of the manga's darker scenes.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 07, 2013 4:10 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Shinchan, honest question: do you have siblings?

I do, but I don't remember making promises about going on living together.
View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not saying he doesn't have feelings for Rei in the manga, mind; just noting that it's possible to love people a great deal in completely non-romantic ways, and wondering if you'd recognize the difference.

You people are the best at (conveniently) recognising those differences when it comes to ReiXShinji, I'm not that good at this stuff unfortunately.
View Original PostDream wrote:I think that's what Shinchan was referring to: That Shinji and Rei's relationship was more sibling-like than anything. At least that's the impression i got from reading his post.

How did you get that impression?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:No matter if Shinji really felt romantic or brotherly love for Rei and if Sadamoto really is a R/S shipper or not, the fact is that they can't be together : Shinji is a simple mortal and Rei is back to her status as omniscient Progenitor/Goddess of mankind.

Sure he could, if he chose not to end instrumentality. damn baka...
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Sure he could, if he chose not to end instrumentality. damn baka...

Except he already chose to end it in the previous chapter, now it's just the last farewells to his parents.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 07, 2013 5:26 am

In fact Nemz used a counterfactual conditional sentence...
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:How did you get that impression?

Not sure, i probably wanted to assume you meant a more innocent, platonic love or something like that. As for the more dramatic interactions between Shinji and Rei (in response to "I have siblings, but i have never promises about going on living together"), it's manga, it tends to be rather dramatic.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 am

It's obvious that the relationship between Shinji and Rei-II in the manga is meant to be romantic - the scene in the garden where Rei talks about their touching on successive past occasions and asks to hold hands again (and Shinji's recollection of this later) makes it clear enough, and shows a dynamic that would not be likely between siblings. But of course with the death of Rei-II this ends.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu May 09, 2013 2:07 pm

June 4th. The Gate of Heavenly Peace will open and Instrumentality will begin.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”