Are we overanalyzing things?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:23 am

Reichu wrote:Appreciating the anime in full and desiring to deconstruct it are not mutually exclusive.

Desiring? No. Doing? Well, it certainly doesn't help when it comes to the holistic approach. Gonna have to cast my vote with DatDude here--it's a fun brain exercise, but putting too much into it sends a nail right through the ol' third eye.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:45 am

Reichu wrote:You're basically making the blatantly unfair presumption that anyone who looks closer at the anime than you feel is appropriate is missing "the message and power of the story". This is bullocks.

Would it be fair of me to say "Anyone who gets hawt looking at Eva pr0n is missing the message and power of the story"? I think that statement would apply to you in some way, yes?

Appreciating the anime in full and desiring to deconstruct it are not mutually exclusive.

You are making mountains out of mole hills. Every time this come up you go into attack mode, step off and listen for once sheesh. I am not coming to your house and kicking you cat for petes sake.

Ijust think that overanlaysing this show makes the real message anno put their get lost.

Stop acting like i'm petitioning to get the board shut down or somthing.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

DirtyHamster
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DirtyHamster » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:30 pm

:shock:
Holy Crap. Ye guys talk a lot.

Anyway...
We may be overanalyzing thinks, but who cares.
A lot of the topics which overanalyze, spread into other areas which wouldn't have been touched otherwise.

So, Yes. We are overanalyzing things. But once we leave with a better understanding (of whatever) what's the harm.
Dirty: covered or marked with dirt.
Hamster: small rodent with a short tail and cheek pouches.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:37 pm

DirtyHamster wrote:Anyway...
We may be overanalyzing thinks, but who cares.
A lot of the topics which overanalyze, spread into other areas which wouldn't have been touched otherwise.

So, Yes. We are overanalyzing things. But once we leave with a better understanding (of whatever) what's the harm.

Amen.
The search for knowladge begins with an unfounded question. For every gold nugget we find in Evangelion, we have sloshed over a hundred pans of dirt. Ridiculous dirt, yet without doing so, we'd never have found all those nuggets by now.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:56 pm

Reichu wrote:You're basically making the blatantly unfair presumption that anyone who looks closer at the anime than you feel is appropriate is missing "the message and power of the story". This is bullocks.

ITYM: "Bollocks" but other than that, I think I do agree with you. One size does not fit all, after all.

Would it be fair of me to say "Anyone who gets hawt looking at Eva pr0n is missing the message and power of the story"? I think that statement would apply to you in some way, yes?

It's got some validity to it. If he does, he's treating these complex characters as mere sex objects, just walking vehivles for mammary glands and vulvae.

Appreciating the anime in full and desiring to deconstruct it are not mutually exclusive.

Couldn't agree more.
Natsukashii, ne?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:12 pm

Reichu wrote:If you think the people around here are bad, you should try listening to Greenfield and McCoy. Or reading Redmond.

Speaking of which, I just watched part 2 of "The Mythology of Evangelion". If you haven't seen it yet this should interest you Reichu, since you're Yui's biggest fan. McCoy doesn't even realize that when Unit-01 goes boso it's Yui taking over and moving things towards her goals. He says that in Ep. 19, Shinji goes boso, and siezes a power source that inables him to operate without external power (umbilical cord) thus declaring independence from his mother and becoming an adult. How can anyone be so 100% wrong?!
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:21 pm

thewayneiac wrote:
Reichu wrote:If you think the people around here are bad, you should try listening to Greenfield and McCoy. Or reading Redmond.

Speaking of which, I just watched part 2 of "The Mythology of Evangelion". If you haven't seen it yet this should interest you Reichu, since you're Yui's biggest fan. McCoy doesn't even realize that when Unit-01 goes boso it's Yui taking over and moving things towards her goals.

*shuffles feet nervously*
*keeps quiet*
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:24 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:*shuffles feet nervously*
*keeps quiet*

Good boy. Let's give credit to Yui-sama where credit is due, hmm? ("Yahari mezameta... kanojo ga...")

DatDude wrote:You are making mountains out of mole hills. Every time this come up you go into attack mode, step off and listen for once sheesh.

The mountain already existed, and you're just dumping additional dirt onto it.

It's not fun being told REPEATEDLY by people who reputedly share the same interest as you that what I am effectively doing is wasting my time, disgracing the artist's vision/intentions, and missing the point. This is an unprotected nerve on me. A weakness, if you will. I've put up with this bullshit my ENTIRE LIFE. What right do people have to tell me how valid my interests are? Generalized insinuations are no better than direct accusations. If you're going to criticize somebody, at least have the integrity to tell ver to vis face (as it were), instead of making "...like SOME people..."-esque statements. But likewise, expect to be criticized back for being an uninvited critic in the first place.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:30 pm

Are we overznalysing things?

I would say we probably are.

But I overanalyse just about everything, evas no exception so I'm not going to complain about it.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:16 pm

Look back to the first post were I use the word WE to discripe people that over analyze shit around here I'm not AIMing at anyone, and if you think I am you're reading to much into this.

My argument is this, it would make no f*****g sence for Anno to make eva as hard to understand as most people ( not a direct jad at reichu ) tend to make it seem around here, myself included at times.

A writer normal writes to be undestood, not to make a puzzle box that only they can understand.

The point of this thread it to get people to take a step back and watch this show again with eye unclouded, and hopfully understand it better.

I am wondering how in the monkey humping hell ( no not a jab at Eva Monkey ) you got the idea that I was just f*****g or even mosly writing this just to f*** with you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:30 pm

Okay, and what parts of NGE are you proposing "we" don't understand? Is there a test? If I pass it, can I get my "Overanalysis License"?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:42 pm

I re state my question.

What gave you the idea I was writing this just to screw with you?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:59 pm

DatDude wrote:My argument is this, it would make no f*****g sence for Anno to make eva as hard to understand as most people ( not a direct jad at reichu ) tend to make it seem around here, myself included at times.

Most of it is not hard at all; more a matter of following all the details to work out from the footprints what sort of beast was clearly in mind when rendering the story. That's easy enough to see arising.

The rest is the sections where the appearances were clearly important (a lot of the weirder stuff in EoE falls into this category), and the hard work is to go from the artistic whole to retrofit some self-consistent and coherent model to the fragments. And maybe that gets to be a bit like the blind men and the elephant.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:01 pm

I suppose it's irrelevant who you're targeting. Aren't you still implying that we shouldn't 'overanalyze' until we 'truly understand' this show?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:09 pm

No I'm saying that 'overanalyzing' :wink: keeps us from understanding the show.

but I am forced to re ask my question yet AGAIN.

DatDude wrote:What gave you the idea I was writing this just to screw with you?

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:24 pm

DatDude wrote:No I'm saying that 'overanalyzing' :wink: keeps us from understanding the show.

This view is valid only for the given value of "us".
Natsukashii, ne?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:28 pm

And what makes you assume that 'understanding' and 'overanalysis' cannot coexist? A flawed assumption to say the least.

(Answer: You have always expressed some level of antagonism towards me, however mild, so it didn't seem like that outrageous a proposition.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:30 pm

Gee, it's fun being a pariah.
Natsukashii, ne?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:48 pm

Reichu wrote:And what makes you assume that 'understanding' and 'overanalysis' cannot coexist? A flawed assumption to say the least.

(Answer: You have always expressed some level of antagonism towards me, however mild, so it didn't seem like that outrageous a proposition.)

Responce to comment one.

Once you start looking for things that are not their your entire perception is affected. Their is a diffrence between analysis, and overanalysis

coment two.

You like to strongly defend your positions, for the record I respect this.
No hate here, if I crosses the line between playing around and insulting you, I'm sorry.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:09 pm

DatDude wrote:You like to strongly defend your positions, for the record I respect this.
No hate here, if I crosses the line between playing around and insulting you, I'm sorry.

In case you're worried about me, too, since I've been more of a powderkeg than a biscuit just lately, I'm not worried. I'll argue till I'm blue in the face, but I won't get offended (again). I might playact like I am, as in the above post, for fun, though. :twisted:
Natsukashii, ne?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”