Are we overanalyzing things?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:21 pm

Overanalysis is a little bird chirping in the meadow. Overanalysis is a wreath of beautiful flowers that smell bad.

DD wrote:Once you start looking for things that are not their your entire perception is affected.

Example?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:27 pm

Reichu wrote:Overanalysis is a little bird chirping in the meadow. Overanalysis is a wreath of beautiful flowers that smell bad.

DD wrote:Once you start looking for things that are not their your entire perception is affected.

Example?

The original peice of misinformation that lead me to find an eva sight with a message board is this.

A web page now dead, but looked nicly done, that said Kaji survived the series and was the one that lead the attack on the geofront.

Now seeing as all I had of EoE was a fan sub at this point I couldn't tell that this was BS because I couldn't tell the VA were diffrent.

I rewatched the EP were Kaji dies over a dozen times trying to find out what would make him turn bloodthurst in the movie.

Judging on this information alone I came up with the idea that the man was a scumbag and Misato did actualy try and fail to kill him. Any affection he showed to Misato was a lie of coure because anyone that can order his men to take people out with flam throwers and kill every one in the base had to be an asshole.

disinformation and overanlyzation led me to get a few things very wrong.

Then I got EoE on DvD and got some things right. I came here and the posting began and here we are.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:43 pm

If that's the sort of thing you're going to use as an example, I think I'll plead innocence.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:06 pm

Reichu wrote:If that's the sort of thing you're going to use as an example, I think I'll plead innocence.

If you don't like that how this http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710

Imagin what you can be lead to believe with the " ideas " in their.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:37 pm

A writer normal writes to be undestood, not to make a puzzle box that only they can understand.

But I like puzzel box stories, in fact thats one of the big things I look for in anime as well as live action movies because I like to try to figure out confusing symbolism. Of course my love of confusing things has been pretty influential on my writing as well since most of my serious stories tend to turn into puzzel box stories.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:55 am

overanalyse because of unsatisfied. 8)
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

Oblivious
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Oblivious » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:13 am

Even if we are, so what?

Everyone should have the freedom to do whatever they like provided they do not harm others.

Some people like to cook, some people like to swim, some people like to overanalyse evangelion.

I say we just let them choose what they want to believe in. Why is there a need to stop this?

If they find the sport entertaining, we do not have to rain on their fun do we?

If you are afraid of being confused, you are simply being too lazy to take a stand on what you believe.

Just let them get on with their lives, jeez.

Edit: I just read OMF's thread. Ignore everything I said here.
http://graveyardofroses.spaces.live.com
You can either choose to change yourself or change your surroundings. All decisions are variations of those two.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:10 am

Oblivious wrote:Edit: I just read OMF's thread. Ignore everything I said here.

Yeah, I think I will have to say the same thing.

Whenever my ideas have been so wholeheartedly rejected by my peers, either they end up going into the dumpster, or they go into a sandbox isolated from "official analysis" where I can play with them regardless.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:44 am

Reichu wrote:

Whenever my ideas have been so wholeheartedly rejected by my peers, either they end up going into the dumpster, or they go into a sandbox isolated from "official analysis" where I can play with them regardless.

I hate to bandwagon jump - awww, who am I kidding? I love to bandwagon jump! - but I have to agree with both of you, Overanalysis is a worrying problem at the moment.
Natsukashii, ne?

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:10 pm

Soluzar wrote:
Reichu wrote:

I hate to bandwagon jump - awww, who am I kidding? I love to bandwagon jump! - but I have to agree with both of you, Overanalysis is a worrying problem at the moment.

Got room for one more? :wink:

When I first watched NGE, I quickly fabricated my own explanations as to why the unexplained things happened. I then watched it repeatedly, each time sifting through the anime filtering more information until things started to make sense to me. I then found these forums and started to compare my notes against the general concensus. Some of my conclusions were dead on and others were off. In either case, the more I read, the more I analyzed. However, I started reaching a saturation limit where I had to just back off or I'd miss the entire point.

I think the line between finding golden nuggets of information and beating a dead horse on a said topic is pretty thin with NGE.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:46 pm

Being the one driving the wagon I'd like to take the time to mention that their is noting wrong with looking deeper into somthing. Its just when things start to come out of noware that we get a problem.

Take for example I really didn't beleive Misato was will to sleep with shiji until I came tot his board and had a fe things explained to me. On a side note this was my first exsposure to Reichu and I'm still scarred by the experience.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:21 pm

DatDude wrote:Being the one driving the wagon I'd like to take the time to mention that their is noting wrong with looking deeper into somthing. Its just when things start to come out of noware that we get a problem.

Take for example I really didn't beleive Misato was will to sleep with shiji until I came tot his board and had a fe things explained to me. On a side note this was my first exsposure to Reichu and I'm still scarred by the experience.

"Just then, the heavens opened, and every choir of angels sang!"

Excellent. I think we've reached an understanding. There is everything in the world wrong with looking so deeply that you start to see what is not there, as it seems that several of our number do. I hereby throw over my support to DatDude, and with this, an accord has been reached in the affairs of fan-geeks. Let us all band together to cast out those who look so deep they begin to see things that not only were never there, but which are not even remotely logical.

Thank you. I can now die happy.

:dies:
Natsukashii, ne?

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:31 pm

LOL
i agree, but sometimes just looking deeply kind of ruins some of the experience..

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:25 pm

Too much of this criticism relies so heavily on one's perspective. It's all well and good to criticize somebody for "overanalysis", until the fingers are pointed at YOU instead. (For starters, I think my deep interest in Evas and Angels makes me a prime target, were someone looking to lash me.)

In any case, I hate making generalizations about things like this ("what constitutes overanalysis", and all that crap). I prefer to raise my objections on a case-by-case basis.

Why can't we all just get along? :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:42 pm

overanalysis == unweaving the rainbow

The young John Keats felt that Newton's Opticks was overanalysis that robbed the rainbow of its beauty. From ~300 years on, we can see that this overanalysis actually reached a deeper and more subtle source of beauty.

With NGE doing the former will not always guarantee the latter.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Soluzar wrote:
DatDude wrote:Being the one driving the wagon I'd like to take the time to mention that their is noting wrong with looking deeper into somthing. Its just when things start to come out of noware that we get a problem.

"Just then, the heavens opened, and every choir of angels sang!"

Excellent. I think we've reached an understanding. There is everything in the world wrong with looking so deeply that you start to see what is not there, as it seems that several of our number do. I hereby throw over my support to DatDude, and with this, an accord has been reached in the affairs of fan-geeks. Let us all band together to cast out those who look so deep they begin to see things that not only were never there, but which are not even remotely logical.

Thank you. I can now die happy.

:dies:

God is in heaven, all is right with the world.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:28 pm

I don't think that we over analyze... it's just that the topic in the big picture is... sometimes... pointless. Such as argueing over the colour of asukas eyes at the end of EoE (honestly... would it matter).

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Whoever argues over the color of Asuka's eyes at the end of EoE is dumb. They're clearly blue.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:57 pm

C is for Cookie can be regarded as a case study in persuasive oratory, emphasizing the emotional aspect of public speaking. Cookie Monster builds excitement by answering his opening rhetorical question, "Now what starts with the letter C?" with the obvious reply, "Cookie starts with C!" He then challenges the audience, "Let's think of other things that starts with C," before quickly replying, "Oh, who cares about the other things?" casually dismissing a whole range of other possibilities as irrelevant. Thus, having ostensibly come for the purpose of covering the letter C in its entirety, Cookie Monster has already focused his agenda exclusively on cookies, employing the classic bait and switch tactic. Several times in his presentation, Cookie Monster emphasizes what appears to be the central thesis of his remarks: "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me!" The appealing rhythm of this slogan appears designed to entrance listeners, swaying their emotions and making them instinctively want to chant along with him. After rousing the crowd, Cookie Monster systematically lays out the logical underpinnings of his pro-cookie ideology, comparing cookies to round donuts with one bite out of them and to the moon during its crescent phase, in essence using a straw man argument that implies his opponents would advocate the superiority of these competitors over cookies. In this sense, Cookie Monster may be proposing a false dichotomy representing cookies as the only viable choice to a group of obviously inferior alternatives. But before the audience has a chance to catch on, Cookie Monster launches into another round of repetitive chanting, "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me, yeah!" as young children sing along. Here, Cookie Monster uses a propaganda technique strikingly similar to that employed in George Orwell's Animal Farm by the pig Napoleon, who trained the farm's sheep to bleat, "Four legs good, two legs bad" on his cue. Cookie Monster then adds visual stimulation to his discourse by chomping into a large cookie, concluding his remarks with "Umm-umm-umm-umm-umm" and other chewing sounds.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:52 pm

How long did it take you to write that?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”