From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Except Aoba. Fuck him.

I'm detecting a running theme, here....

Post-3I, you say? Post-3I interactions between Asuka and Kyoko?

...interesting...

I could see potential in that, though I would very much like to see Kyoko and Asuka the child, what could have transpired between the two of them before the Contact Experiment.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Asuka was like three, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say hugs and cookies.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Asuka was like three, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say hugs and cookies.

Yes. The real money is in what happens when Kyoko comes back.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Possibly. Or neglect.

Or, the hugs and cookies leading up to the tragedy of the CE.

Then again, a focus on the story of Kyoko as she is driven to create Unit-02, with Asuka in the background, and the relationship between Kyoko and her husband.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Possibly. Or neglect.

Then again, a focus on the story of Kyoko as she is driven to create Unit-02, with Asuka in the background, and the relationship between Kyoko and her husband.

No, no, no. That's backplot. I'm talking about what happens when Kyoko comes back. Asuka post-EoE plus Kyoko post-EoE. Bang, hot shit. Go big or go home, yes?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Possibly. Or neglect.

Then again, a focus on the story of Kyoko as she is driven to create Unit-02, with Asuka in the background, and the relationship between Kyoko and her husband...

...and her whirlwind love affair with Batman.

Sorry.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 pm

"My parents are dead."

"I was a 400-meter tall god."

"...Not the weirdest thing I've ever dealt with."
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:38 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:...and her whirlwind love affair with Batman.

Sorry.

Chuckman I'm giving you this idea freely, use it wisely.

You know :rofl: Now that I think about it, maybe "The Great Disaster" from Kamandi's storyline was Third Impact, just a thought.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:You know :rofl: Now that I think about it, maybe "The Great Disaster" from Kamandi's storyline was Third Impact, just a thought.

Oh my God, that is genius.
the prophecy is true

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Oh my God, that is genius.

It's why I gave it to you Good Sir. I can give you a lot more ideas regarding it if you want.

Here's one for example: It would explain the empty Superman costume that was found.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, no, no. That's backplot. I'm talking about what happens when Kyoko comes back. Asuka post-EoE plus Kyoko post-EoE. Bang, hot shit. Go big or go home, yes?

Can Eva souls even come back? How did she get in 3i?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Yui is there, so presumably Eva souls got pulled, too.
the prophecy is true

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 pm

No reason for them not to, especially in the case of Unit-02: it's frame was completely destroyed and consumed, and it's core broken. There was nothing to keep Kyoko's soul in place.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:47 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Yui is there, so presumably Eva souls got pulled, too.

Yui was in Unit-01 and stayed there. She was only included because 01 was the center of Third Impact.
I like the idea of Kyoko coming back, it would just need some extra juggling.
SPOILER: Show
I'd also bring her back horrifically injured in the spots where the Lances hit

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Not too much, really. Like I said, what is there to keep her in the remains of Unit-02? It was destroyed, along with (I have to assume) it's core.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:18 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Post-3I, you say? Post-3I interactions between Asuka and Kyoko?

...interesting...

I could see potential in that, though I would very much like to see Kyoko and Asuka the child, what could have transpired between the two of them before the Contact Experiment.

There's a fic that ran with that idea : The Coming of the First Ones, in which Asuka and Kyoko try to reconnect by working together in a laboratory studying the effects of Third Impact (notable the ton of LCL in the sea) on the ecosystem. Her time in EVA-02 made her slightly "quirky", loving to rant about her past experiences to Asuka and especially about her love escapades in the dark corners of research centers, especially when Shinji is around (he and Asuka are together in this story), to Asuka's absolute horror and embarrassment.
It's absolutely hysterical!
Excerpt  SPOILER: Show
"Oh my." With a wry smile, a woman with dark hair and thin, black-rimmed glasses stepped around Asuka and Shinji and walked right up to the microscope, peering over her spectacles to look at the slide. "I could've sworn I was in the LCL concentration lab, not the reproductive rates experiment. Since this is the cell culture I was looking at before I had to go to the toilet, I think my first assumption was correct. How strange it is, then, to find a dashing young man about to smooch my daughter here, even if they have been going out for close to a year."

Shinji bowed, his cheeks red with embarrassment. "I'm very sorry, Aunt Kyoko. It won't happen again."

"Well, I should hope it will!" she answered. "After all, the world needs repopulating, but it shouldn't happen here. You might contaminate my samples."

Her mouth hanging open, Asuka looked aghast. "Mama, please!"

"Besides," said Kyoko, "these tables aren't comfortable. Nor are the stools."

Eyes widening, Asuka grew even paler. "And just how do you know that?"

"I was young once. How do you think I met your father?"

Shinji frowned. "You worked in a lab together, and then—"

Asuka covered his mouth with her hands, muffling the rest of the question. "Stupid Shinji!" she cried. "You really want to finish that?"

Actually, the more I think about it, and the more this version of Kyoko looks like a grown-up version of Mari! (and not just for the hair and glasses!) :lol:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:05 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:
An opportunity was missed there anyway. A loving Kyoko broken by the experiment is infinitely more sad.

While the drama value boils down to personal taste (some might think that poor little Asuka having been sad and alone from the beginning and never experiencing any sort of proper mother-daughter time is even more sad) this works only as long as Kyoko's just in a few BG flashbacks - Perfect Mary Sue ish characters are boring, especially when they're substituted in place of what could have been an interesting one judging by the canon implications.

Anyway, the big thing is that people tend to lazily paint Kyoko as an older Asuka.

Is it really lazy, or really just trying to add something that fits in with all the other parental parallelisms (Rei vs Gendo, Shinji vs Gendo, Ritsuko vs Naoko... ) especially since Asuka is in part motivated by a desire not to become Kyoko.

If anything, to go "You're not like her at all, and being like her would actually be a good thing anyway, so you don't need to fear" seems lazy.
"Shinji, you're not actually related to Gendo!"- kind of lazy.

People tend to resemble their parents, especially if
And, we're even told that Kyoko was obsessed with her work.
I don't see how "fame/scientific prestige" is all that unfitting/unlikely - especially if she wanted it for reasons similar to why Asuka wanted EVA-related fame and forced herself to aquire some academic excellence of her own.
Since she was unlucky in her love life, she might've tried to get recognition that way.

Personally, I thought the implication of that parallel is delivered with the subtility of a falling cartoon anvil, but apparently many ppl think differently.

I had a blast writing a complete backstory for Keel in Age of Marvels.

Really? Spill!

I give him a brief segment in the Kaworu flashback Arc of CotP, where we hear him converse with/contrasted against our dear Tabbie-kun.

Since he seems to be an abstraction of a religious fanatic, I went for the basic 'fantatist convert'/ unexpected youth rebelliousness route, where he was born into the conspiracy but first had little interest in it and used to live a hedonistic, wasteful life, untill he arrived at the opinion that it had been pretty meaningless and empty, and also came away with a dose of misanthropism (being rich from his youth, he'd have experienced how very little doesn't have a price tag), that common ocurrence where you have someone who used to be very detached and materialistic turn especially fevrent once they come into contact with something that advertizes itself with higher meaning.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:There's a fic that ran with that idea : The Coming of the First Ones, in which Asuka and Kyoko try to reconnect by working together in a laboratory studying the effects of Third Impact (notable the ton of LCL in the sea) on the ecosystem. Her time in EVA-02 made her slightly "quirky", loving to rant about her past experiences to Asuka and especially about her love escapades in the dark corners of research centers, especially when Shinji is around (he and Asuka are together in this story), to Asuka's absolute horror and embarrassment.
It's absolutely hysterical!

She fulfills her role in the context of the fic, which is to give Asuka someone to play off in her search for a place in the world... that, and being someone she gets along better with/connects more naturally with than Shinji.

They do work with those parallels, but more in a 'cool, now Asuka has a fellow ambitious genius to have fun with' kind of way.

Anyway, I doubt that she'd go back to repeating all her old mistakes if she somehow got spat back out in a remotely sane state, not after these experiences. Although she might be reluctant to reconnect with and make stuff up with Asuka because of guilt, I think she would want to.

What I'm less sure of is wether she would still remotely want to live after this whole clusterfuck that happened to her.
If you put what's in EVa 02 in a body, you'd probably get a vaguely creepy stepfordt mom who would have no desire to do anything other than cuddle with Asuka, which would get painfully sad after a while, if significantly less so than having the other half around since she would be capable of interacting with Asuka.
"Kyoko the mother" would be in there, but "kyoko the jilted wife" or "Kyoko the ambitious engineer" wouldn't.

Asuka would basically have to care for her like for a brain-damaged relative, but maybe she could be more mature about it/deal with it better than when she was a little kid and positively confront those ideas in the process. Useful fiic idea right there.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:35 pm

I could see a good fic with Asuka having to care for a brain-damaged Kyoko. You'd have to twist it just so for it to be interesting, but something like that can have a remarkable maturing effect on kids. It can tear them to pieces, it can put stress on them beyond what they should have to deal with...but it can also level SOME of them out. They have to be the adults. They aren't, they still make mistakes...but kids learn very quick, and they learn what they need to do to care for someone like that, especially someone they love.

What if, in context of that, Kyoko was not suicidal following the Contact Experiment? Or still was able to 'recognize' Asuka as something important to her, if not her actual daughter? What kind of person would Asuka grow to be in the storyline by the time we meet her, if she had spent time caring for her mother? Would she be a bitter and resentful person? A more even-tempered one (having a greater tolerance for things after learning patience with a brain-damaged mother)?

Something like that, I think, would be a great story (so long as the writer doesn't turn it into I Am Sam...or, dear God, Simple Jack). It could be tragic, WAFF-y, dramatic, funny...really anything with the right person writing it.

One other note on Kyoko-as-Asuka-but-older: there is a lot of parallels with children and their parents in Evangelion, but they aren't exactly the same people. And more to the point, what Asuka is doing may be a full-blown caricature of what she THOUGHT she saw with Kyoko...or, she could be going as far in the opposite direction as she feels she can go, to avoid the same flaws she perceived in her mother. So, for all intents and purposes, Kyoko is still a completely blank slate as far as I'm concerned, as far as characterization goes.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm currently working on an Eva/Pokémon fusion, which badly needs feedback. Actually, it's really more of a tongue-in-cheek "what-if" story imagining what the Pokémon-world equivalent of Neon Genesis Evangelion must be like. My avatar is an illustration from it.
That said, I find that Eva is, in general, a very hard series to write good crossovers for. Maybe it's because the world and its mythology are so developed that it's hard to simply insert another story in and hope it works without conflicting. And trust me, you do NOT want to know what some of the crossovers I've seen were like.
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:23 pm

I was wondering; is it possible to cross Eva with Turn A Gundam in the sense that Third Impact goes on to become an ancient, mostly-forgotten legend? A few thousand years later, the Angels would reincarnate and attack again, with humanity in a mad scramble to respond as prior to this, they thought the Angels were just a superstitious legend with no basis in reality.

I see a starting situation where humanity has been reduced to a small fraction of their former numbers before they successfully re-develop Evas from scratch and thus gain the means to put up effective resistance. Of course, SEELE would once again be up to no good - to roll with the crossover, some SEELE remnants could've put themselves in cryo on the Moon shortly before Third Impact as insurance that even if the Angels win the first round, humanity can come back for seconds.

----

An alternate idea is that Second Impact is the legend, with a thousand years elapsing between Adam's awakening and the Angels attacking.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Return to “Fanfiction”