Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
reeds column
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby reeds column » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:26 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
SPOILER: Show

First look at 3.0 46H!

Blue sky with red rings?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:57 am

From the July 11 2021 stage greeting:

Ultimately Anno thought it would be bad for the film if the main character wouldn't appear at all and hence Q's start was changed to when Shinji "wakes up", giving birth to the lost 14 years

[...]

There are no details for the lost 14 years but a scenario for them exists. Preview at the end of Ha is from that story.

Anno says, "I don't have any more scenes I'd like to add. I've spent half my life working toward this film, and it's filled with all the emotion I've poured into it."

There was some other quote I can't find right now but it was something like Anno telling the crew to relax because he wasn't gonna make them do more Eva anytime soon.

Evidently, he changed his mind, and -46h has been in production for about 1 and a half year. We haven't had specific statements calling it an OVA, but if they did spend this long making it, and considering the surprising variety of the scenes shown, I have to wonder how long it will be. Can we expect 20 minutes or more? 30? 60? There's also the possibility that Anno wasn't in charge for this one but instead Tsurumaki or some new other creator Anno wants to support, similarly to what happened with -120min.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:09 am

Runtime for Shin Eva remains 155min.
We're also getting our usual "Rebuild of..." bonus feature.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:57 am

I didn't notice the red rings at first, but something's clearly going on in the sky. But it looks too light to be third impact...

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:06 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I didn't notice the red rings at first, but something's clearly going on in the sky. But it looks too light to be third impact...

From memory, it doesn't look that much different from the rings "dissipating" when an impact stops (as seen at the end of end of 2.0 and 3.0)

Who's the dark-haired girl? Midori before dye?

The third image is a massive nod at EoE :D

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:37 am

Those images looks more like they are from the events just after 2.0 rather than 46h before 3.0:
  • The glowing crossed littering the world in the third image are the same as when GNR tanged everyone in EoE
  • The girl in the second image looks like Midori, so that could be her (meaning that the Winder has somehow access to hair dye), that could be when she was in the Village (it is noted in 3.0 that most of the bridge crew are rookies), but if it's set farther in the past that woman could be Midori's mother
  • Whoever did the design of this Asuka must be a fan of Nier Automata, because if you look closely her bandage/visor covers both of her eyes! And as noted, she has her old plugsuit, bust still intact

All that plus the lantern festival illustration of a hastily patched up Unit 02 makes me think that indeed, that will be a flashback of the events between N3I and A3I.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:43 am

Very likely to be that, yeah
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:55 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:There was some other quote I can't find right now but it was something like Anno telling the crew to relax because he wasn't gonna make them do more Eva anytime soon.

Evidently, he changed his mind, and -46h has been in production for about 1 and a half year. We haven't had specific statements calling it an OVA, but if they did spend this long making it, and considering the surprising variety of the scenes shown, I have to wonder how long it will be. Can we expect 20 minutes or more? 30? 60? There's also the possibility that Anno wasn't in charge for this one but instead Tsurumaki or some new other creator Anno wants to support, similarly to what happened with -120min.

I'm guessing it'll be 15 mins max, and will be pleasantly surprised if it's longer.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:40 pm

If I was to guess it maybe does take place 46 hours prior to Q, except this is an as yet unseen framing device to depict (in flashback) whatever post-N31/end of 2.0 events are going on.

Would guess the girl is Midori. Her shirt is the same colour as her plug suit in the Paris sequence.

Some parts of the body of water in the satellite photo look a bit like the outline of Lake Ashino (maybe we will finally see the fabled internment aircraft carrier!). It depends wether we are seeing a rapid, mass tanging or a slower core-ization with the Black Moon/NERV HQ as it’s epicentre.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:47 pm

Asuka screaming in an EVA :gasp:
That caught me off guard for once.

Thailand looks great, though. EOE vibes.

View Original Post2Lacissal2 wrote:If I was to guess it maybe does take place 46 hours prior to Q

-46h + -120min = exactly -48h (two days) before Q. That's my guess. It will end when -120min starts.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:11 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
Thailand looks great, though. EOE vibes.

Oh yeah, that outline is the Gulf of Thailand seen upside down.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:32 pm

Looking at it on a bigger screen, I'm now convinced that the woman in the second image is Midori's mother : the sky above her also has the faint red rings that we can see in the image with Asuka, which implies that both images happens around the same time. Since I highly doubt that Asuka was still wearing an intact version of her old plugsuit with what looks like a prototype version of the sealing eyepatch, nor that there an Impact-like event, 46 hours before the beginning of 3.0, the most logical explanation is that this is during the Actual Third Impact.
So that can't be Midori, since she seems to be around Sakura's age and thus should had been a child back when A3I happened (if you look closely, her clothes seems to be dirty), which leaves that woman being her mother the most plausible explanation.

Although that would contradicts Midori's claim that Shinji's N3I was responsible for her family's death, unless it's something like N3I destroyed Midori's family's house and they decided/where forced to left Tokyo-3 without Midori, leaving them outside of a protected area when A3I, so Midori decided that it was Shinji's fault. (which would also mean that her family was probably turned into FoIs and will be among those being returned at the end of Thrice)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:58 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Although that would contradicts Midori's claim that Shinji's N3I was responsible for her family's death, unless it's something like N3I destroyed Midori's family's house and they decided/where forced to left Tokyo-3 without Midori, leaving them outside of a protected area when A3I, so Midori decided that it was Shinji's fault. (which would also mean that her family was probably turned into FoIs and will be among those being returned at the end of Thrice)

Well, Kaworu said N3I was the trigger for the Third Impact, which is the reason why Shinji is blamed. I guess Midori saying N3I killed their family could refer to its role as a trigger for the Third Impact.

Humans associating N3I and Third Impact could explain why they seem to have so much terror to the N3I.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:03 pm

Pre-timeskip stuff? Gendo, Fuyu and Donkey Bro-ventures or we riot.

I've no doubt that's a young Pinky. Eyes are the same colour. Don't think it's her mother, I think 3.0-and-onwards Midori is older than she looks.

That might be Asuka brought out of containment to get back in an Eva, possibly with some equipment that's a precusor to the DSS Choker? Also she's pinned her hair up, neat detail.

Also means we may get Asuka and Mari meeting for the first time. After Mari trashed Unit-02. If so, oh that's going to be a whole thing.

Also: Komm Susser Thai.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:23 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Well, Kaworu said N3I was the trigger for the Third Impact, which is the reason why Shinji is blamed. I guess Midori saying N3I killed their family could refer to its role as a trigger for the Third Impact.

Humans associating N3I and Third Impact could explain why they seem to have so much terror to the N3I.

Well, if that short indeed shows us the events surrounding A3I, we might finally get what the hell Kaworu meant when he said that to Shinji, and see how stupid that reason to pin the blame on him actually is.

View Original PostJayfive wrote:I've no doubt that's a young Pinky. Eyes are the same colour. Don't think it's her mother, I think 3.0-and-onwards Midori is older than she looks.

Inb4 Midori is an ex-pilot and also has the Curse of Eva. :tongue:

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:01 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
SPOILER: Show

First look at 3.0 46H!

Holy shit

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:08 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OH GOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Double posting out of excitement

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:45 pm

Another interesting thing: the trees behind the Midori lookalike seems to be dead, or hibernating, yet Japan is supposed to be in an eternal Summer. I wonder what's up with that, did N3I killed the vegetation around Tokyo-3, or is she in a place where there are still seasons, or at least an eternal winter? (like Germany in Asuka's memories seemed to always be in winter)

Also another thing I didn't picked on immediately: Asuka's cockpit view is the old model with gaps in the vision, unlike the new ones after the timeskip that have a perfect 360° view (the only still having the old model is Unit 01 when Shinji pilots it against Gendo), which reinforce my belief that at least part of it will be a flashback of the events after 2.0.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:57 am

I though it was going to look something like Until You Come To Me based on the fact that it doesn't have the same long production schedule as the films, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:55 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Another interesting thing: the trees behind the Midori lookalike seems to be dead, or hibernating, yet Japan is supposed to be in an eternal Summer. I wonder what's up with that, did N3I killed the vegetation around Tokyo-3, or is she in a place where there are still seasons, or at least an eternal winter? (like Germany in Asuka's memories seemed to always be in winter)

The whole city was blown up during near third impact, the landscape probably suffered heavily. The trees on the right look like they burned.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”