Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:58 am

It wouldn’t of been a final send off from Anno if he didn’t get involved though in the end.

It feels like he knew he was gonna get deeply involved he just tried to put it off.

He is the director general after all LOL

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

Re: Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:58 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Anno certainly wants to be done with Eva, but I'm not sure if we can say he was being "full of sloth" there, since the moment he became more active in the film's production, he became a full-on perfectionist who threw out months' worth of work because he didn't consider it good enough for his standards. He himself said he tried to be on the sidelines because he knew that if he were to get involved, he would get involved. Anno also said in the doc that he wanted to do things in a new way, hence the "no storyboards" thing.

Fair enough, I was sloppy and didn't differentiate clearly between my opinion of Anno (he wants to be done and gone on to other things) and my general theory of laziness.

It also makes sense that he would hang back since he was driven into another (suicidal?) depression by the making of 3.0 - he'd want to avoid that again at all costs.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:41 am

The whole "Anno didn't use storyboards and took a few personal days, therefore he's reeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy lllllaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyy you guys!" comes from not understanding the amount of work that goes into filmmaking, especially in the field of animation.

Let's start with live-action filmmaking, since it is both the field in which I have more experience, and it is the field in which Anno has had equal experience when compared to his animated work.

Anno had followed or mimicked the path of many successful and accomplished filmmakers when deciding to go without storyboards in preparation for a film. This isn't even the first time he's done a movie without storyboarding each scene first! There is no credited (or even uncredited!) storyboard artist for Anno's first live-action feature-length film Love & Pop. Watching that film, one would not be reasonably inclined to think that it was the result of great laziness from the director. Anno is not alone in this decision either. He didn't invent going into a film production sans storyboard, after all. Many French New Wave films from the 1960's also get much of their charm and aesthetic from not being fully storyboarded (if they're even storyboarded at all!) prior to production. Steven Spielberg himself won Best Director at the 1999 Oscars for Saving Private Ryan, with Janusz Kaminski winning Best Cinematography and Michael Kahn winning Best Editing, all without a single storyboard being drawn for the film prior to cameras rolling. Again, a rational person would not see this accomplishment and think everyone involved was lazy.

Now animation still requires a lot more visual planning prior to production starting on the film than live-action movies require. If Anno isn't getting Shinji Higuchi to do the storyboards for him, as he usually does (Plot twist! Anno never storyboarded any one of the animated films he's directed! Hack confirmed! The End of Evangelion was just a result of his laziness! Anno has been passing the creative buck of to someone else the whole time!), then how is he visualizing the film through a sort of preview before beginning production?

Hm..... Visualizing through preview of some sort....

Pre visualizing....

That's it! PreVis!

It has been reported that much of Shin Evangelion used the 3-D PreVis program to visualize the film through a sort of preview prior to animators getting on the job. This is the same program that was used during the production of Lord of the Rings in order to plan the more complex special effects shots for several departments working on the film. (Which, by the logic spouted earlier, means that everyone had to be really lazy in order to get their work done! Those special effects shots aren't gonna get done with everyone's hard work and guts, after all!) Huh, it looks like you can plan a lot of shots for multiple departments to get a clear idea of the end goal even without asking someone else to draw your storyboards. Neat! Technology is amazing, what will they think of next? Maybe they'll invent something that levels the playing field for even more motion picture artists to take advantage of the Wonderfull tools the technology provides and help them create stuff beyond out wildest imagination!

In conclusion, Anno isn't lazy just because he used a different method of visually planning his film and took a few personal days here and there. In fact, it's often those that work the hardest that require the more time off.

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm

I am pleased to say that I have watched snippets of this and that we can now behold Anno's creative process. Truly an alpha. Now we know how he snagged Moyoco:

SPOILER: Show

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:12 pm

Seriously, someone should write a "Just what you expect from the Master, Anno" caption on one of those images.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 pm

Anno's emotional attachment to Evangelion  SPOILER: Show

Just as one would expect from the master, Anno.

Whitetiger739
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Whitetiger739 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
Anno's emotional attachment to Evangelion  SPOILER: Show

No emotional attachment is another straight full #noregret vibe, just what you expect from the Master, Anno. Just one question and pardon me if I'm being off-topic, does Anno meant the end of the entire Eva franchise or it's just the ending of Rebuild series and Anno's career with Eva? I remember the 2016 interview from Anno that Eva will continue to be one of the mainstay for Khara after Anno left Eva with the new director/creator along with possible of future Eva contents/series after Rebuild, but I'm not sure if the interview is still upheld to this day or did Anno& Khara recently changed their mind.
Oh shoot, what time is it? Heading back to Nerv-2 in Nevada ASAP!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:26 pm

View Original PostWhitetiger739 wrote:No emotional attachment is another straight full #noregret vibe, just what you expect from the Master, Anno. Just one question and pardon me if I'm being off-topic, does Anno meant the end of the entire Eva franchise or it's just the ending of Rebuild series and Anno's career with Eva? I remember the 2016 interview from Anno that Eva will continue to be one of the mainstay for Khara after Anno left Eva with the new director/creator along with possible of future Eva contents/series after Rebuild, but I'm not sure if the interview is still upheld to this day or did Anno& Khara recently changed their mind.

Khara likely still needs Eva. It doesn't have another franchise.

So, it's pretty likely we will see more animation for Eva in the future.

This is just the end for Anno in this franchise.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 am

Apparently Anno seems to go back and forth on letting other people direct Eva. Time will tell, I guess. Really, I'd like to see Khara aiming to create more original IPs anyway. Say what you will about Shinkai and Hosoda, but they are proving that original films can be made outside of the Ghibli studio. I feel like Anno is a far more skilled storyteller than either Shinkai or Hosoda, so he could really hit something out of the park with an original film.

We just gotta wait for him to finish up his Shin movies, first. I'll be excited to see what he does after Shin Kamen Rider.

mashnichi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mashnichi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:55 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but an extended 100-minute version of this documentary is set to air under a new title, 「さようなら全てのエヴァンゲリオン~庵野秀明の1214日~」, in two parts on April 29; from 8:00 p.m. to 8:50 p.m., and then from 9:00 p.m. to 9:50 p.m. Sadly it's on BS1, making it harder to access.

放送は前後編の2部構成で、前編は29日20時~20時50分、後編は21時~21時50分まで。併せて、3月に放送された「プロフェッショナル 仕事の流儀~庵野秀明スペシャル~」も、NHK総合で5月1日23時50分よりアンコール放送されることが決定しています。

Apparently it will include interviews and other footage that couldn't fit the original broadcast.

Also the previous, shorter version, is getting a repeat on NHK General TV on May 1 from 11:50 p.m.

Original report:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/b33001fc6f6de48005d5e4ed0568ea5c865ae712

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:17 am

Maybe the more spoilery stuff?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:02 am

So, the extended edition has aired now --
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 am

any new detailsworthy of note?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:33 am

The extended portion seems to be all the interviews that didn't fit, though the only specifics I have at the moment is that it included one with Ichiro Itano.

Later: Apparently (according to posts on 2ch) the scene where Asuka force-feeds Shinji is a dramatization of an incident when Moyoco had to force Hideaki to eat, after he'd given up doing so because of his depression.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:36 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Apparently (according to posts on 2ch) the scene where Asuka force-feeds Shinji is a dramatization of an incident when Moyoco had to force Hideaki to eat, after he'd given up doing so because of his depression.

Get you a woman who will refuse to allow your suicide.

That event also throws light on why Anno says he is done with Eva. If it does that sort of thing to him he needs to be done with it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:08 pm

i really want to hear that in context before forming any sort of opinion, especially given the source. it makes a big different how inspired/stylized/dramatized the thing is.

At least this should shut up the one dimensional Mari = Moyoco readings.

Clearly his new experiences were reflected in various ways by all the characters (Such as Shinji getting Rei to appreciate proper lunch or Kaji getting Shinji to farm) without anyone being a designated standin.
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Later: Apparently (according to posts on 2ch) the scene where Asuka force-feeds Shinji is a dramatization of an incident when Moyoco had to force Hideaki to eat, after he'd given up doing so because of his depression.

Dear god! :cringe:
Yeah, Anno definitively needs to leave Eva for good, it destroys him every time.

I've read somewhere that Village-3 is a representation of a vacation Moyocco and Miyazaki forced on Anno after his post-Q depression, and the force-feeding scene being a dramatization of a real life event lend credence to this theory. Which would also explain why all the preparatory material on Village-3 dates from 2018 at the earliest. (ie after Anno recovered from his depression)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:11 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I've read somewhere that Village-3 is a representation of a vacation Moyocco and Miyazaki forced on Anno after his post-Q depression

that much seems pretty apparent; Burnout is no joke.

Well, he was planning to introduce a "place of hope" already during the trailer at the end of Q, but obviously the specifics of the recovery would have to be informed by what it was for him to get out of a hole.

That bit where Shinji is like "Why is everyone so nice to me" & Rei says, "Cause we're all your friends" also seems like it could've literally happened.

Still, let's not go spreading rumors till we've actually seen it.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:33 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:that much seems pretty apparent; Burnout is no joke.

Well, he was planning to introduce a "place of hope" already during the trailer at the end of Q, but obviously the specifics of the recovery would have to be informed by what it was for him to get out of a hole.

That bit where Shinji is like "Why is everyone so nice to me" & Rei says, "Cause we're all your friends" also seems like it could've literally happened.

Still, let's not go spreading rumors till we've actually seen it.

If this theory is right, then I would be curious to see what kind of place Anno had in mind before his depression? Is it the mega-city that was hinted in their calendar? (which served as inspiration of the "Lilin City" of a lot of fanfic writers)

As for the Mari = Moyocco thing, again if the rumor about the force-feeding is true, then it may be that instead parts of Moyocco (and how she helped Anno) were transferred to each of the women who help Shinji in Shin:
  • Rei Q is the empathic and understanding part of Moyocco, the one that listen to his problems
  • Asuka is the more assertive part of Moyocco, when she has to take action for Anno's good, wether he wants it or not
  • Mari is the happy and fun-loving part of Moyocco, the one who spices Anno's life since she appeared in his life
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:33 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:At least this should shut up the one dimensional Mari = Moyoco readings.

I've never understood the idea that Mari=Moyoco. Maybe we don't know a lot about Mari, but she is clearly her own character.

I think Mari's appearance in the Epilogue represents a "new beginning" for Shinji. Some people say Moyoco was this for Anno, but that wouldn't mean Mari=Moyoco.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That bit where Shinji is like "Why is everyone so nice to me" & Rei says, "Cause we're all your friends" also seems like it could've literally happened.

I think we shouldn't speculate what might or might not have happened in that vacation. We can only talk about the information they share with us.
Last edited by Konja7 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”