How do you feel about Shinji ending up with Mari?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: How do you feel about Shinji ending up with Mari?

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:39 am

View Original PostChrisTamv wrote:I would however be lying if I didn't point out that there are romantic implications here. But proof of a romantic relationship? No. Everything in the last scene can be interpreted from a non - romantic angle. From the entire purpose of Shinji's and Mari's interaction being to show the contrast between past and present Shinji. Between the Shinji in the Wunder, where Mari first called herself as the "beautiful girl with big boobs", who was still lost, in a bad state of mind, who still had a hard time communicating with people, to the Shinji at the train station, who doesn't have a problem casually joking around with people and even women, something that's absolutely a first for the character.

It should also be highlighted that Mari acts flirty with everyone, and that the handholding was really not portrayed flirtatiously or delicately: it's just Shinji taking the initiative and Mari with him towards the future, outside towards the real world.

The thing is that those two versions of Shinji, the one still "lost and in a bad state of mind" and the one with confidence and casually joking with a woman about her boobs, are half a day apart at most. And having his personality go through such a drastic change almost instantaneously is too jarring for many people.

As for the flirting and hand holding, this is a Japanese work of fiction, a culture where physical contact is usually kept to a minimum, so having a man and a woman (joke?) flirting, the man removing the woman's glasses to tease her before going out holding hands in public is a very loaded behavior.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChrisTamv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ChrisTamv » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:09 pm

The thing is that those two versions of Shinji, the one still "lost and in a bad state of mind" and the one with confidence and casually joking with a woman about her boobs, are half a day apart at most. And having his personality go through such a drastic change almost instantaneously is too jarring for many people.

It certainly is a bit jarring for longtime fans like me and, I suppose, yourself. However, since his journey until this point can be realistically traced, and since I'm a bit biased because Asuka's literally 3 minute realization in EoE that resulted in her going from near comatose to a confident, badass soldier is one of my favorite scenes in all of Eva, I'll excuse this XD

As for the flirting and hand holding, this is a Japanese work of fiction, a culture where physical contact is usually kept to a minimum, so having a man and a woman (joke?) flirting, the man removing the woman's glasses to tease her before going out holding hands in public is a very loaded behavior.

Eh it's more like Asuka in her introductory episode taking Shinji's hand to direct him towards her Eva than "handholding". Again there are certainly romantic implications but I do think my interpretation makes good sense out of the scene, alongside what Mari symbolizes in the first place and Shinji's behavior in this scene actually being a bit similar to hers.

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:52 pm

I'd argue Asuka in EoE is maybe having a manic upswing more than her getting better for good because she had a new piece of information in the Eva 02 unit. She gets to go on a energetic, liberating rampage for a few minutes but that's all we will see of that. After that she undergoes Instrumentality and stay in that LCL pool for some time so I can believe she could hash some things out. I think that's different than Thrice being fairly emphatic Shinji did grow up to an adult (and better adjusted).

I think EoE is honest and somewhat realistic on an emotional level, there's some low key hope in that ending but Shinji still has a long way to go there, and Asuka too probably.

ChrisTamv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ChrisTamv » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:12 pm

View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley wrote:I'd argue Asuka in EoE is maybe having a manic upswing more than her getting better for good because she had a new piece of information in the Eva 02 unit. She gets to go on a energetic, liberating rampage for a few minutes but that's all we will see of that. After that she undergoes Instrumentality and stay in that LCL pool for some time so I can believe she could hash some things out. I think that's different than Thrice being fairly emphatic Shinji did grow up to an adult (and better adjusted).

Hmm that's certainly possible, albeit we don't get to see Asuka again after this point until the very end at the beach, so I would say that my comparison still stands. There's also the massive shock from having just experienced Instrumentality which would scar even the most emotionally solid individual, this also plays a role. In 3.0+1.0 on the other hand Shinji didn't experience Instrumentality and in the end he is still pretty contemplative and seemingly melancholic and nostalgic until Mari appears, as he's literally seeing visions of his friends.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:41 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:As for the flirting and hand holding, this is a Japanese work of fiction, a culture where physical contact is usually kept to a minimum, so having a man and a woman (joke?) flirting, the man removing the woman's glasses to tease her before going out holding hands in public is a very loaded behavior.

Yeah. Realistically (cynically?) the entire Mari-Shinji relationship was executed with a strong focus on its plausible deniability to tip-toe around it without risking turning away future revenue from people who may feel strongly against it coming basically from nothing in a series with 23 previous years of identity.

ChrisTamv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ChrisTamv » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:42 pm

without risking turning away future revenue from people who may feel strongly against it coming basically from nothing in a series with 23 previous years of identity.

If that's the case they weren't really successful :D

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:22 am

ChrisTamv wrote:If that's the case they weren't really successful :D

Why not? I think it's opened enough for most people who don't like it ignore its existence, but it's also there as part of what constitutes the tetralogy's conclusion.
These movies are no stranger when it comes to fanservice and playing with shipping.

As I said before, I'm just grateful that it is not AsuMari based. lol
I can live with MariShin, but AsuMari is indigestible to me
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:37 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Yeah. Realistically (cynically?) the entire Mari-Shinji relationship was executed with a strong focus on its plausible deniability to tip-toe around it without risking turning away future revenue from people who may feel strongly against it coming basically from nothing in a series with 23 previous years of identity.

I'll say what I wrote on this very thread a long time ago: I'm not fundamentally against that relationship, if there were some build-up to it, hell even just an actual timeskip between 14 yo Shinji and Mari and then as adults with the revelation that they hooked up in the meantime, even if we don't know how it happened, there would be many years left to our imagination on how it happened.
There are lots of talk about if their behavior can that of two lovers, but I think that in the end those who says that it's not romantic don't really base their argument on their actions (because let's be honest, the way they interact would totally fit between two lovers), but that's it's just completely illogical since the time we see them interact in the movies is literally the in-universe amount of time they interacted in four movies and 14 years. (hell, Mari probably interacted more with Shinji when he was still in diapers! :lol: )

And yes, Khara totally knows what it does with shipping, even if Anno himself doesn't care about it (or at least not when he's writing the story) : it's no coincidence if most of the promotional images of Shinji are with Kaworu and several times in poses that wouldn't be out of place in the cover of a yaoi novel, nor that Shinji blushes literally at the first seconds after seeing Kaworu for the first time ever in 3.0. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Which I think is also why Rei Q's dying confession to Shinji is told with ambiguous wording that could mean that she liked him romantically or as a close person, or that Shinji and Asuka does admit their feelings... but in two separate scenes with the added caveat that Asuka says that she grew up first (lol) and later that Shinji send her back to the Village and disappear somewhere where you don't know if they'll be able to meet again someday.

Shipping is a huge motor of merchandizing (behind figures of cool giant mecha and sexualized girls) and they know it, they've been in this industry for most of their life.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Why not? I think it's opened enough for most people who don't like it ignore its existence, but it's also there as part of what constitutes the tetralogy's conclusion.
These movies are no stranger when it comes to fanservice and playing with shipping.

As I said before, I'm just grateful that it is not AsuMari based. lol
I can live with MariShin, but AsuMari is indigestible to me

I admit that I never saw the supposed AsuMari in the movies, sure they have a vibe of constant friendly bickering, but again their first (pseudo) out of battle conversation is Mari teasing Asuka about her feelings for Shinji, and literally all but one (the hair cutting) of their other conversation that aren't during a battle have Mari teasing Asuka about her feelings for Shinji.
People's love for yuri aside, I don't see why some people were so sure that they were a thing romantically, unless they wanted a "counterpart" to the also super-popular KawoShin?
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:29 pm

Let us not forget Kensuke X Asuka in the final film. I would say from the moment it was revealed that Asuka lives with Kensuke sometimes, their relationship was already established. Kensuke has already developed a relationship with Asuka, whereas Shinji was absent for 14 years. I was almost certain that Kensuke would unfortunately end up with Asuka half way through the movie. Why would both Shinji and Asuka decide to spark an old flame when there is so much of a gap in their relationship.

On the other hand, Mari's relationship with Shinji is devoid of any history yet they end up together. Essentially she is the more stable woman and the most realistic choice. In the real world, if you had to pick Mari or Asuka for a long-term relationship, most of us would go for Mari.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:54 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:Let us not forget Kensuke X Asuka in the final film. I would say from the moment it was revealed that Asuka lives with Kensuke sometimes, their relationship was already established. Kensuke has already developed a relationship with Asuka, whereas Shinji was absent for 14 years. I was almost certain that Kensuke would unfortunately end up with Asuka half way through the movie. Why would both Shinji and Asuka decide to spark an old flame when there is so much of a gap in their relationship.

Honestly, if there weren't the scene in Instrumentality where a child Asuka cries that she wants a parent to pat her in the head and adult Kensuke suddenly appears and does just that, I would agree with you that their relationship is probably romantic.
But with that scene, I'm leaning toward them having a sort of parental relationship. Of course, things might be different now that both are physically 28, but that's up to our imagination.
Besides, that wouldn't be the first weird relationship in one of Anno's works, remember Nemo and Electra in Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water?

As for Shinji and Asuka deciding to not spark an old flame, what also muddles things is that Asuka's feelings for Shinji are constantly brought up, by Mari no less. So logically Asuka must had brought her feelings at least once for Mari to know about it. And then the prequel mini-manga goes even harder by showing that Asuka was still longing for him even 14 years later, to the point of reciting love poems to his memory.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:36 am

Honestly the entire relationship doesn't strike me as romantic, and that scene in particular very much recolors it to be honestly beyond reasonable doubt that it's more of an adoptive parent thing
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:28 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Honestly the entire relationship doesn't strike me as romantic, and that scene in particular very much recolors it to be honestly beyond reasonable doubt that it's more of an adoptive parent thing

It's difficult for me to think the Asuka sees Kensuke as a father when they have the same age. Asuka was physically 14 years old while Kensuke is 28 years old, but they know each other since both were 14 years. Not to mention that both are 28 years old at the end of the story.

I've understand the scene in the Intrumentality as Kensuke being family for Asuka. If the relationship is platonic or romantic, I think this is left to interpretation.

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:33 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:As for Shinji and Asuka deciding to not spark an old flame, what also muddles things is that Asuka's feelings for Shinji are constantly brought up, by Mari no less. So logically Asuka must had brought her feelings at least once for Mari to know about it. And then the prequel mini-manga goes even harder by showing that Asuka was still longing for him even 14 years later, to the point of reciting love poems to his memory.

Asuka reciting love poems ? Sounds out of character but maybe the manga pulls it off !

I'd think my reading of Mary teasing Asuka about Shinji is moreso that the tsundere façade is fairly transparent and Asuka must have complained a lot about Shinji in 14 years to the point it's obvious she's a little stuck on the kid. But who knows ? Mari and Asuka apparently spent a lot of time together in close quarters, they probably had small talk.

I think it's a little revealing that in 3.33 Q intro Asuka does call for him to do something when she's getting a rough time from that reflecting panels Neo-Nerv Chimera. It's been 14 years and for all they know Shinji was dissolved all along. Ritsuko and co might have learned a thing or two in the meantime, "Curse of the Eva" for instance, but the whole "get in a state of Tang" is probably pretty mysterious (they don't have anything to say about Rei II) still. Likewise Ritsuko doesn't consider a firm link between Asuka shouting for the Unit to do something and Eva 01 activating for 12 seconds (IIRC) but readily accepts that Shinji is no longer in sync.

Regardless of shipping (the greatest Heh of our time), I think it's more a matter of characterising Asuka being unable to move on and literally in arrested development.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:09 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It's difficult for me to think the Asuka sees Kensuke as a father when they have the same age. Asuka was physically 14 years old while Kensuke is 28 years old, but they know each other since both were 14 years. Not to mention that both are 28 years old at the end of the story.

I've understand the scene in the Intrumentality as Kensuke being family for Asuka. If the relationship is platonic or romantic, I think this is left to interpretation.

I mean the culmination of Asuka's Instrumentality is her in a child form crying about how much she wanted to have a normal childhood and parents to "pat her in the head" (ie to love her), then suddenly Kensuke appears and do just that, the meaning is pretty clear that it's supposed to be seen as a parental relationship.

As for the age, I didn't got the feeling that the pilots' actual age really entered into account in the story: see Asuka mentally 28 but acting like a super-angry (and depressed) teenager most of the time, Shinji who's physically and mentally 14 but is expected to have the maturity of those who lived through those past 14 years and suddenly having a 28 years old body when he does that, and Mari who outright rejects such mortal concept as "age" and always acts like a manic teenager despite technically already being adult even in the second movie and also appearing in a body in its twenties in the end despite logically being in her forties. (even if we take the theory that she's a clone, she still has the memories of the "Mary" Gendo and Co met back in the 20th century)

But again, we don't know what will happen now that Asuka is also 28 in body and that Shinji seemingly disappeared from her life, maybe she'll try to hook up with Kensuke, and as I said that wouldn't even be the weirdest romantic relationship from an Anno work, far from it.

View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley wrote:Asuka reciting love poems ? Sounds out of character but maybe the manga pulls it off !

In the first two pages of the manga, Asuka is alone in the rocket launching platform and reciting a poem speaking of the Moon. Some people identified this poem as a from a old book of poetry (the oldest recorded one in Japan even) and that in this work the poems with the Moon had a theme of longing for a loved one, and since just after we have Mari appearing and teasing Asuka on her feelings for Shinji and this is just before the operation to retrieve Unit 01 from space, it's not hard to guess who was Asuka thinking about when she recited that poem.

View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley wrote:I think it's a little revealing that in 3.33 Q intro Asuka does call for him to do something when she's getting a rough time from that reflecting panels Neo-Nerv Chimera. It's been 14 years and for all they know Shinji was dissolved all along. Ritsuko and co might have learned a thing or two in the meantime, "Curse of the Eva" for instance, but the whole "get in a state of Tang" is probably pretty mysterious (they don't have anything to say about Rei II) still. Likewise Ritsuko doesn't consider a firm link between Asuka shouting for the Unit to do something and Eva 01 activating for 12 seconds (IIRC) but readily accepts that Shinji is no longer in sync.

Regardless of shipping (the greatest Heh of our time), I think it's more a matter of characterising Asuka being unable to move on and literally in arrested development.

It's said in the manga that they though that Shinji was gone for good and they genuinely didn't expected him to be restored by Unit 01 once it came back to Earth.
Only Mari thought that he could come back, and even argued to Asuka that he might hear her and come back if she's the one making direct contact with the Tesseract (which ends up being exactly what happened, but as revealed in Thrice, Mari already knows all the secrets of the Evas and probably counted on this scenario happening), which might had subconsciously pushed Asuka to call Shinji for help.

Ritsuko also admits that Shinji shouldn't be able to sync with EVA-01, but since despite that he still subconsciously briefly awoke it to save Asuka, they decided to put a DSS Choker on him as precaution. (besides, that choker half for that, and half to punish him for Near Third Impact, again by Ritsuko's own admission)

As for Asuka's longing for Shinji as a metaphor of her "stuck" in her development and unable to move on, that is an interpretation that comes often. The detractors of this theory notes that unlike with Gendo and Yui, Asuka's longing for Shinji is never shown in a negative line (and even continuously encouraged by Mari) and that, again unlike Yui, Shinji does come back. (there's also the apparent contradiction that her "moving on" is imposed on her by Shinji when he gives her an adult body and sends her to Kensuke without letting her the time to talk before disappearing from her life, if that 's how you interpret the last scene)

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:52 pm

Thanks for filling me up on the manga, that poem intro sounds less clumsy I expected (Eva love its Lunar content). I don't think I absolutely need to have a lore justification why Asuka calls out to Shinji but it's nice I had the same idea as the writers though. More Asuka and Mari interactions is interesting on the other hand. We don't really know how Mari joined Wille, what she told them or what they know. From the film we can infer they have combat experience together, lived together for a while (though we never get much more than Mari teasing Asuka), that Misato trusts them professionally but that they're not really accepted as part of the crew / there's always suspicion and unease because they're Eva pilots.

When I say stuck in arrested development it's not so much a theory or metaphor rather than stating what is happening (there's a few other elements like gating herself with the Wonderswan game, a carry over from 2.22). She's not in arrested development because of it, but that she keeps grinding those grudges do show she has not moved on until they can both at least say their part to each other before the final mission in Thrice.
Rebuild doesn't really give a great sense of where Misato and Mari are at relative to Shinji post timeskip, Rei Q is not someone he has prior history with (duh)... So it's hard to really gauge this. The films do insist she cares for Shinji (comes back to drag him at the end of Q, force feed him, check on him when he mops) all throughout and doesn't show the same for other characters.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:07 pm

View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley wrote:Thanks for filling me up on the manga, that poem intro sounds less clumsy I expected (Eva love its Lunar content).

A link to the manga for reference.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:02 pm

Not my first time seeing that but every single one of Mari's expressions is an absolute joy
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:52 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley#938865 wrote:Thanks for filling me up on the manga, that poem intro sounds less clumsy I expected (Eva love its Lunar content).

A link to the manga for reference.

That's pretty overt. I think the last two films lacked more moments like that, though.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:11 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Not my first time seeing that but every single one of Mari's expressions is an absolute joy

View Original PostAsuQa_PsyOp_Langley wrote:That's pretty overt. I think the last two films lacked more moments like that, though.

Personally I'm all in for a series or a bunch of shorts or manga of Asuka and Mari's hijinks during the timeskip. I feel that a lot of the rejection of her comes from the fact that she's barely explored as a character despite ultimately being central to the plot and also having lots of potential in interactions with the other characters. (I already said it in another thread, but she makes an excellent foil to Asuka and is the only character that manages to talk to her and make her open herself a little)

ChrisTamv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ChrisTamv » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:30 pm

That's pretty overt. I think the last two films lacked more moments like that, though.

I agree. 3.0+1.0 has many more of these quieter character moments like 2.0 did but 3.0 has a criminal lack of those for any character other than Shinji... Probably my main problem with that film tbh.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”