How old were you when the first rebuild came out in 2007 and how old are you now?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: How old were you when the first rebuild came out in 2007 and how old are you now?

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:10 am

I was 14 in 2007. Hadn't seen any of Evangelion yet. Hell, I wasn't even into anime at the time.

Now I'm 28. NTE's release schedule has literally lasted half a lifetime for me.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: How old were you when the first rebuild came out in 2007 and how old are you now?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:33 am

^^Woo, it's just like Shinji and the timeskip
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:18 pm

13 when 1.0 released in 2007, was starting high school.
18 when 3.0 released in 2012, was starting engineering as a first-year undergrad.
26/27 in 2021, nearing the end of a PhD in robotics.

Between 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, I got two engineering degrees, learned (conversational) Japanese, worked on robots in Japan for a few months, and might even finish my third degree before it releases stateside.
i want rebuild

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 pm

* jelly *
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:49 pm

2007: Starting grade 12, was 17, turned 18 in November (drinking age is 18 in Manitoba so I was the first guy in my class to buy alcohol legally :shifty:) . also the year I heard of Eva through an AMV I saw on Youtube.

2009: 19, just finished first year of university, made honors in political science.

2012: Turned 23 the day 3.0 came out, in last year of undergrad and applying to grad school in Ottawa.

2021: 31 now, I got a Master's in Political Science in 2015, and a Master's in Public Administration in 2019, both in Ottawa. Worked for the federal government for three years, but now work for the province of Manitoba. Hoping to go back to Ottawa and work for the feds again sometime after the pandemic settles down as Winnipeg is... Winnipeg.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:20 am

I had seen some volumes of the manga and the anime when I borrowed them from my local library in 2005 - 2006 (when I was 11-12)
2007: I was 13 and in middle school and nothing interesting really happened, same thing in 2009 when 2.0 came out.
2012: I tuned 18, I was in my first or second year of highschool and saw Rebuild movies for the first time because I had seen trailer of 3.0 on Youtube and when 3.0 came out I became more invloved with Eva and the fandom.
2021: Between 2012 and 2021, I've graduated from highschool, went to Media related school and graduated, moved to my own apartment and got a job.

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm

I thought I had posted in this thread but I was mistaken! I was 5, nearly 6 when the first Rebuild came out, I had no idea what Evangelion was and I didn't watch any anime, I was 5 so I really had no idea what it was. When Eva 2.0 released I was 8, still hadn't seen any anime, I only associated it with Bakugan and Pokemon. When 3.0 released I was 11 and still hadn't seen watched anime! I watched NGE and EoE for the first time in 2018 and loved it. At some point after I tried to watch 1.11 but found it way too similar to the series and pretty much skimmed through a lot of it before just not finishing it. In November of 2019 I finally rewatched 1.11 and watched 2.22 and Q for the first time. I really enjoyed them, especially Q, and so I was really excited to see the conclusion of the retelling. I am now 19 and hoping I can watch 3.0+1.0 in decent quality before I turn 20 in October, though as some users said earlier, I have not had to endure the massive wait many people here have.
we are many, but you are alone

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:24 pm

2007: I was 7 years old and I wasn't into anime. I never even saw a glimpse of Sonic X even though it was a show that child me probably would've been hooked to.
2009: 9 years old and still not into anime.
2012: Already into Studio Ghibli films (my only exposure to anime outside of shonen anime I wasn't interested in), and I heard of the Nausicaa tokusatsu prequel short that played before Q, but I didn't want to watch the main feature because I still thought I was too young to watch it.
Wouldn't actually get into Evangelion until I turned 14 and kept hearing about it in TV Tropes, when I was just as depressed and broken as Shinji and the other characters. Evangelion truly helped me with my depression and anxiety.
I saw the Rebuild films first but I loved the entire franchise, especially Q, and watching Neon Genesis, as well as it's movies, helped me love the Rebuild films even more.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:05 pm

I was ten years old and just getting into anime-- the first anime clip I ever watched was the first 10 minutes of Jo, and when I searched for more, I accidentally stumbled into the subbed episode one of the TV series. I started watching it on youtube, back when you could still find anime uploaded in three-part videos! Now I'm 23, living in Japan, and I saw Thrice Upon a Time in the theater, on a gigantic screen, in Japanese.

Feels like a chapter in my life being closed. Evangelion got me interested in learning Japanese in the first place, and everything since then has built on that foundation.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:52 pm

14, Shinji's age.
Après moi le déluge!

pooplmao
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pooplmao » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:48 am

I was like 2 years old lmao, got into Evangelion 2 years ago, glad to have watched it.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I was ten years old and just getting into anime-- the first anime clip I ever watched was the first 10 minutes of Jo, and when I searched for more, I accidentally stumbled into the subbed episode one of the TV series. I started watching it on youtube, back when you could still find anime uploaded in three-part videos! Now I'm 23, living in Japan, and I saw Thrice Upon a Time in the theater, on a gigantic screen, in Japanese.

Feels like a chapter in my life being closed. Evangelion got me interested in learning Japanese in the first place, and everything since then has built on that foundation.

that's sick dude, you're living the weeb dream, I wish I could go to jp to watch it on the big screen and not on my crappy laptop display that can't even display colours properly.

Please do not double post unless it's either necessary or a significant amount of time has passed from your previous post. Thank you.
-Zusuchan

LazyPOS
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LazyPOS » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:04 pm

I was 14. Now I'm close to 28. Basically same age as Rebuild Shinji. I didn't watch NGE nor Rebuilds prior to 2019, though

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:55 pm

I was 19 but wasn't into Evangelion yet (although I saw a couple of episodes in the French TV, the one with Matarael and episode 25 IIRC, all in glorious butchered French dubbing!), I started it in early 2013, when I was 25, with NGE, but knew already about Q's timeskip twist thanks to TVTropes (in fact that was what got me curious about the franchise).
And now I'm 33 and the final chapter of the Rebuild is soon to be in my grasp, when it'll finally be realeased in Amazon Prime.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:54 pm

I was introduced to Eva via Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 by my friend who is a massive fan, back in 2010, if I remember correctly. I was 14/15. I then went back and watched NGE and EoE and read the manga.

Saint Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Saint Eva » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 pm

2007: I was 15 and starting high school. Despite watching dragonball all the time, I had no idea what's an anime.
2009: I was 17 and starting college. I still had no idea what's an anime.
2012: I was 20 and failing college. I still had no idea what's an anime.

In 2016, I had started my MBA and randomly came across Neon Genesis Evangelion while researching for some thesis. After reading some intellectual stuff about it, I gave Evangelion a shot. 9 episodes later, I got bored and gave up on the anime. An year later, after watching Studio Ghibli movies I became impressed by anime so I gave Evangelion another shot and finished it. In the end, I became Evangelion fanboy. Read the manga, watched Rebuild movies sometime after with 3.0 giving me near depression.

2021: 29 now, So far my life has been tumbling down, got social anxiety, had a career crisis, lost my mom and dad, fell into depression but I seem to have made lot of recovery. Been hoping to become a writer by finally finishing my damn book which I have writing and procrastinating from last few years before 3.0+1.0 Blu-ray is released.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:05 pm

View Original PostSaint Eva wrote:29 now, So far my life has been tumbling down, got social anxiety, had a career crisis, lost my mom and dad, fell into depression but I seem to have made lot of recovery. Been hoping to become a writer by finally finishing my damn book which I have writing and procrastinating from last few years before 3.0+1.0 Blu-ray is released.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you've made strides in recovering. Best of luck with your book.

Woglinde
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Woglinde » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:07 pm

I was 18 years old when the first Rebuild was released, now im 32 and waiting for blu-ray release of 3.0+1.0.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:39 am

Saint Eva: I'm sorry you've had struggles. I wish you luck with your recovery and your book.

Saint Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Saint Eva » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:45 pm

@baldur @Zusuchan Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to me :)

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 pm

<3

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”