Should the 14-Year timeskip remain a mystery? [Split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 pm

A simpler question: just how dead IS the world? Kaworu mentions mass extinctions, but that's a LOT of helicopters reinforcing the WILLE fleet, and that's a lot of ships manned by a lot of crew, too.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm

There isn't direct implication by anyone that people who live in somewhere else, outside from Wille's ship are all dead. I personally think that there are a lot of people living somewhere.

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:32 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:There isn't direct implication by anyone that people who live in somewhere else, outside from Wille's ship are all dead. I personally think that there are a lot of people living somewhere.

I think there are more people around the world.
my idea of the world in rebuild is this:
http://i.imgur.com/6Z8Mmrb.jpg
(maybe I have exaggerated, I confess :lol: )
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:57 pm

View Original PostTh3Marauder wrote:What do you mean by "non-existent"?

Barely anything happens. The only important event is fourth impact and it's aborted before it even happens.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:13 pm

View Original Postandreh wrote:my idea of the world in rebuild is this:
http://i.imgur.com/6Z8Mmrb.jpg
I'm getting RahXephon flashbacks here -- or rather I would were it not for the uniformly red surface as seen from space in the opening minutes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:38 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:No it would suck. Third impact is much more important and interesting than the (non-existant) events happening in the third movie.

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Barely anything happens. The only important event is fourth impact and it's aborted before it even happens.

What happens isn't as important as to how Shinji deals with it.

People need to understand that they will never get ADVENTURES IN THE EVA WORLD and wanting that will only lead to disappointment.

Eva has always been about the character and the world exists only to affect or be affected by those characters.
Rebuild due to not having as long a running time has chosen to concentrate on Shinji. As long as Shinji is being kept in the dark about the 14 years the chances so will be the viewer.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:45 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:People need to understand that they will never get ADVENTURES IN THE EVA WORLD and wanting that will only lead to disappointment.

I would laugh for days if a trailer for Kieru Sekai no Densetsu started playing after the credits of FINAL. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm really surprised by how uncomfortable some Eva fans are with the concept of mystery. I understand casual viewers being perplexed, but hardcore fans? I thought we lived for this stuff. There are more unanswered questions in EoE's final scene alone than in the entirety of Q. It was ambiguity personified. But now, people are suddenly wanting a more straightforward narrative? Well, welcome to Evangelion folks... that ain't what it does.

I mean, there was just a discussion about the supposedly "(non-existant) events happening" in a series that includes episodes 25 and 26. THAT'S how far outside the box this show has gone. If your definition of a successful Evangelion story hinges on how many mysteries Anno solves, you'll probably walk away disappointed. Then and now.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:46 pm

To be fair, there are people that hate both EoTV and EoE, but still love Eva overall.

I'm not one of them though. :tongue:

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:55 am

Well, then best Eva FINAL would be 15 minutes long movie, that starts with GNR fighting a beam o' war with equally giant dragon, that have Gendo's visor, so we may speculate it's Gendo. Also we get the whole biblical reference of "The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun", eventually GNR wins, and we see some never before seen peple cheering in unknown place. The end.

Afterwards this movie will be considered genious for how mysterious it was, and Anno, ritch as Midas after all the money he would cash, will be laughing at gullible fans, that will swallow everything with Eva in it's name, as long as he signs under it.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:10 am

View Original Postandreh wrote:my idea of the world in rebuild is this:

That's pretty cool. Didn't think about that.
Leave Shinji alone

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:45 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:One should never post while drunk.
No, it's just Stillborn being Stillborn! :tongue:
(No offense, eh!)

Anyway, i my opinion explanations about the 14 years time skip is necessary, not only for establishing Shinji's exact responsibility in the destruction of the world because that will determine just how deep his pit of despair is, but also and as importantly because knowing what happened will be a crucial part in Shinji's character growth : if WILLE(or anybody else) explains to him everything, that will mean that by imparting knowledge to him, he will no longer be considered a child, that whoever informed him consider that he's someone which can be trusted with this knowledge or if everything about the Impacts, HIP, SEELE... is common knowledge, then that will be the sign that Shinji is now part of this new world and not a child ignorant of how the world works(that would ties nicely with Mari's comment about "getting to know the world a little")

Also, Shinji will no longer be able to use his ignorance as an excuse(even though it is a good excuse about N3I, there was no way to know that EVA-01 was able to do that, even Ritsuko was completely surprised by it!), signifying his transition from childhood to adulthood, where people take their responsibilities.

Of course, since WILLE do consider him a child(illustrated by Asuka's "gaki" nickname), Shinji will have to earn their trust so they estimate that they can impart him with that knowledge, at least all the "secret" details about SEELE and HIP, the details of what happened right after N3I will need to be told to Shinji as early as possible, since apparently he have his responsibility in it, if not that would be really dickish : basically WILLE would be punishing Shinji, but won't bother to tell him for what.
And if he thinks that it's because he destroyed the world, but they did it "just" because he almost did it with N3I in 2.0 and actually didn't cause the world's destruction, then that would be detrimental for both parties.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I wouldn't be surprised there's two more movies coming out, one to fill in the blanks (fan service) and the other, the conclusion. The fact that FINAL has been pushed back all the way to winter 2015 backs my view on this.
I watch and speculate.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Fuck no. They need to explain a lot of stuff. Like why did Misato and the rest split from Nerv? What happened to fighting the angels? There's so many questions that need to be answered.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 pm

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:The fact that FINAL has been pushed back all the way to winter 2015 backs my view on this.

That remains speculation at this point.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:51 pm

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:The fact that FINAL has been pushed back all the way to winter 2015

That is in no way a fact.

We have no official date. The real fact is we don't know anything concrete or reputable.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:27 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:Fuck no. They need to explain a lot of stuff. Like why did Misato and the rest split from Nerv? What happened to fighting the angels? There's so many questions that need to be answered.

Isn't it kind of of obvious why Misato and friends split from NERV?

I mean Gendo wants to use Evangelions to cause an Impact. Misato wants to stop any Impacts from happening.

They kind of spell it out.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Even so, it would be good to see it played out. Storywriting 101: Show is better than tell.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Even so, it would be good to see it played out. Storywriting 101: Show is better than tell.

Well, they didn't quite do the whole "telling" part either. All we see is them firing at a Nerv Eva and Misato was like "Oh, yeah. That's just what we do now." So, they showed us before telling us that part, I guess. Just not anything prior to that.

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:10 pm

I could agree that mystery in the series is part of its charm, that episodes 25 and 26 (which were complete mindfuck) along with parts of EoE (though personally I think that most of the movie had enough info on what was happening) make the fans theorise so much even to this day is something the whole series has going for it.

BUT, in 3.0 we got almost nothing on what happened on those 14 years and those 14 years are crucial to the new direction the movies took. I mean maybe we don't need everything spelled out for us but at least some extra bits of info aside from "3rd impact resumed, world gone crazy!" would be appreciated.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”