Logic's Insight - A Review of Rebuild of Evangelion 3.33

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:28 pm

^ Yeah, but that’s only detrimental if the series was actually about them anymore than it was about Fuyutsuki, master of standing over one guy's shoulder until Q came along.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

I stand by my long held belief that people who only watch/review anime or anime related things shouldn't be paid attention too. It's akin to all "news" on Fox News. It's grossly biased, ignorant & lacking in meticulous research. I'm generalizing but their interest or appreciation of culture, art, storytelling & history usually ends the moment it leaves their small prurient interests.

Langston7056
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Langston7056 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:05 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Coming at it from a completely fresh perspective, Shikinami is a pretty flat character and Mari makes no sense at all.

Edit** I would disagree that Asuka is a flat character. Her character just isn't fully developed. Most characters in the show didn't really have any development until ep. 19/20(In fact that's where 2.0 ended and that was 3/4 of the show). I really hope that Mari explains or is explained in Final. Her attraction to LCL has to pay off in some way, I hope. But I won't write someone off as flat or nonsensical until we have the full picture. It is unfortunate to think that she is in there for fan service, but that never struck me as Anno's style really.
What kind of guy do you think I am anyway!?!?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:32 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Coming at it from a completely fresh perspective, Shikinami is a pretty flat character and Mari makes no sense at all.

Not sure if serious or Chuckman being Chuckman.

View Original PostLangston7056 wrote:Edit** I would disagree that Asuka is a flat character. Her character just isn't fully developed.

Oh Shikinami's character got some serious development, problem is that is it happened at 95% off-screen during the time skip and we only witnessed the very first steps of it in 2.0, I'm sure there's ground to make a whole movie, if not a small series out of her adventures and character development.

Which is why I still hope that Khara will release a spin-off in some form covering the time-skip.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Langston7056
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Langston7056 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:07 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Not sure if serious or Chuckman being Chuckman.

Oh Shikinami's character got some serious development, problem is that is it happened at 95% off-screen during the time skip and we only witnessed the very first steps of it in 2.0, I'm sure there's ground to make a whole movie, if not a small series out of her adventures and character development.

Which is why I still hope that Khara will release a spin-off in some form covering the time-skip.

I agree with you. More Eva is better Eva. But if we don't get a chance to see it take place, a heart driven speech about her troubles with Shinji being gone and what she's had to go through by Asuka will do just fine for me.

(Also should I be referring to her as Shikinami? Is there some sort of rule or stipulation regarding it? Or is it just easier to tell who I'm talking about?)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm

We're in the Rebuild subforum, so Asuka is automatically Shikinami.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:01 pm

We usually use the Shikinami in the Rebuild thread when she's being compared to her NGE counterpart.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Obviously when comparing, whether here or even in Chatter and Discuss, it's necessary to distinguish.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Langston7056
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Langston7056 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:54 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:We usually use the Shikinami in the Rebuild thread when she's being compared to her NGE counterpart.

Thank you! :D I'm obviously very new here and will from now on use Shikinami when referring to the movies. Sorry about the confusion.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:22 pm

So you want a spinoff of the Rebuild Series so Asuka character can make sense?
I my case in dont buy that excuse about how Asuka was develop offscreen.

Maybe Khara can make a short of her in the Animator Expo and nothing more.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:54 pm

I think anything to cover in the timskip will either happen in Final or will be covered in the Animator Expo.

This all just my opinion but with the Animator Expo it feels like Anno is showcasing as many artists, aesthetics & stories as possible to help present Khara's diversity. The Expo is helping to give the studio a chance to grow & be it's own thing outside of Eva. Anno seems a bit upset that Gainax has basically collapsed in upon itself by not having enough diversification in what it produced. Outside of the works done by Hiroyuki Imaishi & Kazuya Tsurumaki after Anno left I really can't tell the other Gainax work from the rest of the anime doldrums. Gainax died - or is dying - because despite some of the good work it produced the studio relied too much on one thing. That one thing seemingly being Evangelion merchandise. Now that Khara owns the rights to all things Evangelion, Gainax doesn't even have it's one cash cow to stay afloat. It all belongs essentially to Anno.

Looking towards the future, as an artist I can't imagine Hideaki Anno wants Studio Khara to be known as "The House of Evangelion" from now on. After the 20th Anniversary of NGE (2015) & the all releases to do with 3.0+1.0 (& the eventual "Evangelion 4-Film Perfect Boxset' where are four movies are given a new cut with new material so they all flow better together as one narrative of course) I feel/hope that everything Evangelion will go quiet for a while while Khara goes about doing new & exciting works.

If Anno cared about what happened in those missing 14 years - I don't feel he does & frankly nor should anyone - it could all be easily covered in broad strokes with one, if not two, of the Animator Expo shorts. We've already gotten one short that's all about Shinji's mindset after the ending of 3.0, I can easily imagine Kazuya Tsurumaki, Mahiro Maeda or any of 3.0 production crew is currently working on a short that takes place in the missing period of time. The trailers already hint at an all CG Evangelion short sometime in the future.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Looking towards the future, as an artist I can't imagine Hideaki Anno wants Studio Khara to be known as "The House of Evangelion" from now on

Well Anno say than He want Make more things with Evangelion in the future.
Who know what Anno wants, sometimes I feel than even him not know what he want (oh the Irony).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:55 pm

He said he plans to return to Evangelion (e.g. FINAL) after the Animator Expo, yeah.

Nowhere yet has anything been said about returning to Eva in so many years from now. Maybe, but who knows. I'm pretty sure he's implied somewhere that he plans on using Studio khara for non-Eva projects (Animator Expo as one example) once the new movies are finished, which I could totally see happening since GAINAX is sadly pretty much gone.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:GAINAX is sadly pretty much gone.

Unless they produce Blue Uru and it makes over 200 million guaps.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”