Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:32 am

@ kuribo-04 in the modified version of the poster I think it says Coming 2021. So I don't think we should wait until 2022, at the moment the worst scenario I imagine is the movie released in late summer or in September, I hope for the release towards the end of Spring thanks to the vaccine and stricter restrictions on social life. Heck I wonder why they haven't made any restrictions valid for other cities besides Tokyo right away. I would have preferred the announcement of the delay from the day the restrictions for bars and restaurants were announced, it would have been far less cruel and frustrating than saying it just over a week before the movie.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:47 am

I know it will never happen because of investors and other contractual disputes but at this point they should just bite the bullet and release it on Japanese streaming. It’s gonna be at least another year before it is safe to go back to the movies.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby JuanSorel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:49 am

Well... just think how much worse it is to be a Game of Thrones book fan.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:The ongoing delay may hasten the dvd release though

Oh God I hope
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

PenPenSakura
Embryo

Postby PenPenSakura » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 am

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:Well... just think how much worse it is to be a Game of Thrones book fan.

And LJ Smith :facepalm:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:00 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I know it will never happen because of investors and other contractual disputes but at this point they should just bite the bullet and release it on Japanese streaming. It’s gonna be at least another year before it is safe to go back to the movies.

Toho isn't concerned about the safety sadly, but how much money they can make. Restrictions will be lifted and they'll release it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:01 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I know it will never happen because of investors and other contractual disputes but at this point they should just bite the bullet and release it on Japanese streaming. It’s gonna be at least another year before it is safe to go back to the movies.

Khara should do a crowdfunding campaign to cover the movie's budget. If the goal is reached, then they can release it to everyone without worrying about taking a loss on the movie. If merely breaking even isn't enough, they can make the goal twice the movie's budget.

Will the campaign succeed? Probably not. The campaign to get a replica Lance of Longinus on the moon didn't succeed, IIRC. However, if the campaign fails, then Khara can still say they did their best to get the movie to the public as quickly as possible while meeting their financial obligations.

PenPenSakura
Embryo

Postby PenPenSakura » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:04 am

That sounds like breaking all their contracts with Toho and Toei plus burning their bridge for future distribution.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:08 am

Yeah it's not happening. I never said it should, it's just brutal because that's how a lot of movies are getting released now, but it's not a viable option for Eva.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ " *Anno depression intensifies* " has been going through my head for the past hour. :unsure:

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin#906509 wrote:I’m upset that Japan hasn’t done more to curb a third wave of the virus

I'm not sure how much they could have realistically done to curb this. I do recall, however, that some government officials (I think?) fought an uphill battle to declare another state of emergency earlier. I'm not sure if that's actually been declared yet.

Shin Eva was gonna be delayed regardless of that state of emergency declaration. That's just how this virus seems to be rolling. :(

I hope everyone in Japan stays safe, and that there are no more fatalities from this illness.

From what I understand, it's the recent discovery of a novel mutated variant of the COVID-19 in Japan that started a panic, since it's not yet established if that new variant is more infectious (like the UK and South-African variant are) or god forbid, if it's more lethal than the classical version. So the Japanese government simply can't take the risk, I think it's clear for everyone now that there's no such things as a taking too many precautions with a pandemic.

IIRC the cinema distribution accounts for a huge part of the profits generated by anime movies (many of them are equivalent of the Hollywood AAA blockbusters), so Khara (or any studio for that matter) simply can't afford to not release the movie in theaters first.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:13 am

Toho could green-light the movie going on a streaming service and should definitely do so by this point. But they're obviously not going to because of the illegal streamer boogeyman. I'm not saying piracy is okay but any Toho executive who's convinced themselves there wouldn't be a camrip of this movie in a month in their theaters simply isn't living in the sane world. Their financial quarter and year both ends April 1st and the clock is now ticking for them to make a decision.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:IIRC the cinema distribution accounts for a huge part of the profits generated by anime movies (many of them are equivalent of the Hollywood AAA blockbusters), so Khara (or any studio for that matter) simply can't afford to not release the movie in theaters first.

I keep hearing everyone talk about how this is the "New Normal" and that there's no "Going back to normal and we should accept that". While I personally believe that's just ridiculous, if we're going to believe that then Khara needs to to accept the situation as well. Not because I'm demanding it, but because their own finances will.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:55 am

this movie seems to lead to financial disaster or at least not the results Khara and co. were trying to get
as far as I can tell no matter what strategies and new distribution programs may develop they cannot change the current state of the world
not even in 2022 things will turn back to normalcy.

there has been a lot of expectation but time is killing it. Anno did this to himself I hope his movie does well but the odds are against it. :devil:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am

I'm very confused by your post.
Anno...didn't do this to himself? Did the guy sneeze Covid into existence? He just made a movie, took time to do it and had bad luck.

Also guys, don't fool yourselves, regardless of when and how this film comes out, it's gonna make a shit ton of money.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am

If only Anno had been a genius scientist instead of an anime director, he could have scienced the pandemic away. Thanks Anno, this is your fault.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am

∆ lol

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm

He was referring to the fact that Khara chose to delay the movie themselves.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:He was referring to the fact that Khara chose to delay the movie themselves.

Ah yes, because Khara should have totally released their movie in the middle of a dangerous pandemic. I don't see how that could possibly have any negative consequences at all! :rolleyes:

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm just tired of this shit.
Just tired.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:15 pm

Japanese are not Americans. They usually discourage throwing society in the trash for the sake of a rabid fandom.

Many of the Japanese fans I’ve seen on Twitter, while sad about the most recent delay, want the film to be release a under better social health circumstances. They are willing to wait. So am I.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm ok with the delay, but I've only been waiting for like 6 months compared to most people who've been waiting for 8 years. :misato_huhu:

Here's hoping they get some localization work done during the downtime.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”