Eva Designs in Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:31 pm

considering Rei was like, 20 miles tall and Eva was about as big as her eye, it stands to reason that Eva 01 is around 1500 ft tall?
Last edited by Fearthebait on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Wow, you people bitch a LOT.

I mean I think all things considering this STILL IMAGE of Eva 01 is still pretty sweet. I think the neon effects will work fine (if anything it could make the Eva extremely fascinating to watch in motion because I've always loved the bright assaultive colors of all the computer screens and what no in Eva).

Oh well, I've recognized that as much as I love and have been obsessed with Eva for over a year now and it has affected the way and style in how I make movies there are still people here who have been breathing Eva for years longer (looking at Reichu who seems to have posted 60% of everything on this website). So no matter what Hideaki Anno and the crew does on this series is bound to be a lose-lose scenario.
Maybe some people are still biting over George Lucas' prequel trilogy (not me, personally I felt the entire 6 part series was mediocre at best) but I for one like the (possible) new Eva look. Its not too drastic from the old yet it has a few minor touches (and I do feel the arms are probably not going to be that long).
But had the changes been too drastic everyone would still be claiming "Do Not Want", and had there been no changes- same.

Oh well, for what it is I think it has the potential to look pretty wicked on the big screen. I'm not sure how much CG would be used on them (probably about the same amount used in Diebuster and that was only noticeable in a few areas and this will have a much HIGHER budget).

I'm still more psyched in seeing the character designs. But since the Eva 01 isn't too drastically altered in appearance I don't think the characters will either- no pink haired Asuka.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:14 pm

So is the OP picture there new design there gonna use for eva? or just a random pic someone found? because it looks really good.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Wow, you people bitch a LOT.

Complaining is a typical human psychological mechanism. It seems to serve SOME purpose even when it, in practical terms, accomplishes nothing.

I mean I think all things considering this STILL IMAGE of Eva 01 is still pretty sweet.

I don't think it's a particularly enthralling illustration, myself.

But had the changes been too drastic everyone would still be claiming "Do Not Want", and had there been no changes- same.

Theoretically, there are ways of modifying the design that would make me squee in fangirlish delight.

Fearthebait wrote:So is the OP picture there new design there gonna use for eva? or just a random pic someone found? because it looks really good.

It's a Newtype illustration juxtaposed with the old Yamashita color concept.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Typhus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Typhus » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Millions Livio wrote:It wasn't really annoying, just kind of took some of the impact the EVA's had. At one point they are Godzilla size, almost as tall/taller as the buildings. The other they are climbing up the buildings the size of a "mini me EVA". A more set scale would be nice to have more consistency, but if not I won't let it ruin the movies for me.

or maybe its one of those really really tall buildings you see in tokoy3 ??

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:42 pm

For me the only thing I don't really dig is the green line around the waist, it just looks funky.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:53 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:For me the only thing I don't really dig is the green line around the waist, it just looks funky.
That and the bley (err, blue-grey... sorry, too much Lego talk) on the crotch are the only differences, aren't they? Personally, I don't like either. A good design needs to have its colors distributed throughout the figure, but this is taking it a bit too far, I think. The original Eva-01 design already did that well enough.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Yui-sama's new look looks alright to me, I guess. The thing I don't understand is why don't they leave her (as well as Kyoko-sama and Rei-chan) alone? I mean, does EVERY. SINGLE. THING. have to change so it's "newer and better"? :roll:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:23 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Yui-sama's new look looks alright to me, I guess. The thing I don't understand is why don't they leave her (as well as Kyoko-sama and Rei-chan) alone? I mean, does EVERY. SINGLE. THING. have to change so it's "newer and better"? :roll:

If you want it to be the same, you will always have the original series and movies to watch and enjoy. I welcome the changes. Otherwise, we'd just be watching the same shit over again.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:19 pm

Changes are all right by me. Personally I never got to into the Eva's themselves but I did love their designs.

But the little additions to Shongoki work in my opinion.

Had it been too much the fans would be clamoring (TOO MUCH).

If it was nothing the fans would be yelling (TOO LITTLE)

Really, no matter what the hell happens with these Eva films frankly as a Evageek I'm just excited to see how they'll move in action. Will they be more human in their movements or be more animalistic. Will their be interesting lighting effects with that neon glowing shape on Eva 01's body (which IMO makes perfect sense since every computer screen image and flashing sign in the TV series was already bright assaultive neon colors, why can't the Evas too).

I'm all for new looking Evas and while it looks like they didn't stray as far from the original design as I wanted (truth to be told they didn't seem to stray at all) but I think you just can't please some fans.

Had Eva 00 stayed yellow for the entire series and then was painted blue for REBUILD I still think fans would find something to bitch about.

I'll wait til I see the Eva in action before I complain about aesthetics.

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:01 pm

If it was nothing the fans would be yelling (TOO LITTLE)
I wouldn't be. As I already stated, I think the original designs were fine, although more consistency in the final product would be nice (which would be a given no matter what the design due to the new technology available). I just don't really see what the point is in taking the original and slapping on two patches of color in what was already a nicely flowing scheme.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:If you want it to be the same, you will always have the original series and movies to watch and enjoy. I welcome the changes. Otherwise, we'd just be watching the same shit over again.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Typhus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Typhus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Eva 01 looks alright. When they said new mecha I was worryed they were totaly going to staray away from what the evas looked like. But a few glowing parts is fine. Im always going to love the oringinal look the most no matter what.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Okay so the horn is a bit more compact and there are a few more green bits: big deal.

****Guys, I think it is "glowing" because that is the shot of when Eva 01 regenerates its arm.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Fearthebait wrote:considering Rei was like, 20 miles tall and Eva was about as big as her eye, it stands to reason that Eva 01 is around 1500 ft tall?

Actually, Rei was about 50 miles tall, so, doing the math, Unit 01 is....a lot bigger.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Had Eva 00 stayed yellow for the entire series and then was painted blue for REBUILD I still think fans would find something to bitch about.

This is why everyone curses LAEM
Just random fan-boy bitching.
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Half of the fun is COMMENTING on the adaptation and debating the whys and whatfors: same thing with the live action Lord of the Rings adaptation; I consider it a TRIUMPH, but there are little elements that it's just fun to debate.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:58 pm

eva 00 yellow? what the hell are you talking about?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:53 am

er, orange; I do kind of say orange and yellow interchangeably
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:42 am

Marigold.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”