Eva Unit Format(s) and Name Meaning Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:10 am

Well, Eva-01 and Eva-00, which were both built by Nerv Japan, don't look anything alike. But then that might be because they're the test type and prototype, respectively.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 31, 2013 8:52 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:In the 2.0 preview its helmet looked like it come from a knight... like EVA-05, maybe 08 was made by England, and after that was customised with the spider eyes.

We see the alpha (i.e., first) build of Eva-08 in 3.0, and it looks nothing like the preview Eva-08. Preview Eva-08 was clearly cannibalized into concepts for Eva-13, -06, and -08 during the developmental process; folks need to stop trying to fit it into canon.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 am

In any case, we have no idea where Eva-08 was built, and we have no actual examples of any continuity between Eva designs in NME (NME!Eva-04 isn't seen, and the Mark.04 is an entirely different can of worms altogether).

And I'm nothing like you

Haydenn
Embryo

A Distinction between MARK and UNIT.

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 am

I've been wondering recently about the use of the term MARK and UNIT, now this may just be a quibble over terminology but it may explain allot. An example of what I'm getting at is there's allot of confusion over Evangelion MARK 04 being in 3.0 because we know it was destroyed in Nevada during the events of 2.0. However this is referred to a UNIT 04 not MARK 04 at the time. I'm starting to think they're entirely different things being referred to as MARKS or UNITS. Another example is EVA MARK 6 and MARK 9 while all other EVA's (including 13) are referred to as UNITS. 13 being named a UNIT shows its not a change in naming convention from EVA MARK 6 on so i'm confused as to why there are two terms being used, unless they refer to separate types things?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 am

There appear to be two different terms used throughout the films. Mark evas (ie: Eva Mark.09 and Eva Mark.06) are referred to as such by characters, using the "Mark" designation. "Unit" evas (ie: Eva-02 and Eva-01) are refered to by the Nigouki and Shogouki designations we're familiar with. There are no clues as of yet as to why different designations are used, and there is no evidence of overlap between "Unit" and "Mark" Evas besides the Mark.04/Unit-04. So for all intents and purposes it seems that "Mark" Evas are not a separate line of Evas; for example the Mark.06 is basically Eva-06, but receives a special designation for as yet unknown reasons.

And I'm nothing like you

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:45 am

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13603/-Eva-Unit-Formats-and-Name-Meaning-Discussion/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

xdiesp
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xdiesp » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 am

T_T

Can anyone translate it again?
SOUND ONLY

fleeting
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fleeting » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:51 am

dont know that there even is an eva unit 10-12. I like to think Eva 13 is called so because its the harmony between the 1st angel and the 3rd child. 1+3. gendos plan to cast kaworu down may have also had something to do with it. gendos way of hinting ro kaworu what he was going to do. oh gendo and his mind games.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 am

Dude, 14 years. I think there would've been 7, 10 and 11 in there somewhere.

The thirteen in Evangelion 13 works on a couple levels.
One as you already noted, and it being the final iteration in the Eva Series - Alpha-Omega mirroring with Eva-01, etcetera.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:37 am

Except that omega is the 23rd letter of the Greek alphabet, not the thirteenth, the 13th letter is "nu".
And since there will be an entire army of MP-EVAs in Final, we are far from the final iteration in the EVAs series.

Besides there is 8+2! :toothy:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 am

I wonder if we get Eva 6+9

And then Reichu will let her mind wander...

:lol:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:13 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Except that omega is the 23rd letter of the Greek alphabet, not the thirteenth, the 13th letter is "nu".

Alpha and Omega is often used to mean first and last or beginning and ending (ref: Jesus) without reference to numbers.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:37 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Alpha and Omega is often used to mean first and last or beginning and ending (ref: Jesus) without reference to numbers.

I know, but there isn't use of the letter Omega with EVA-13(the closest thing to the use of the Greek alphabet we have is the uppercase and lowercase Alpha in Kaworu and Shinji's plugsuits), so I thought that Blue Monday was referring to the number of the letter with the number of the EVA.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: Unit 13 in 3.0 and Beyond-Origins, Nature, Soul etc...

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 pm

[Mod note: Was first post of a tangent from the Eva-13 topic, quoting this post. --Monk]

View Original Postandreh wrote:I think the similarity is due to the need for economy: due to lack of resources Gendo had to use the spare parts that were originally from Eva01. Ditto for Mark09.

While 01/13 and 00/Mark.09 have visual similarities (no doubt intentional) they are also very much different to the point of eliminating the possiblity of recycling parts from previous incarnations. Those armors have been completely redesigned head to toe. This isn't just a "we'll draw it different because we can" production thing either. The new designs are delibaretly different while keeping the old intact. The 2.0 armor designs are still present in Q for 02beta, 08alpha and in the graphic showing 01 in Wunder's core.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: Unit 13 in 3.0 and Beyond-Origins, Nature, Soul etc...

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:46 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:The new designs are delibaretly different while keeping the old intact. The 2.0 armor designs are still present in Q for 02beta, 08alpha and in the graphic showing 01 in Wunder's core.

Doesn't the backs of the Eva's seem off though? I can understand the Mark 09, Unit 08, and Eva 13 cause they're new, but I see it in Unit 02 and I look at their backs and I'm like "That seems a little off from what I remember in 2.0."
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:01 am

Ian, are you referring to Eva-02'β and Eva-08α? Those are the variants seen during Operation US, maintaining that 2.0 look TMB is talking about. Whereas Eva-02'γ and Eva-8β respectively feature the overhauled Wille body kits.

Confer with the below scans:

SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 am

Off topic, but that makes me wonder what EVA-02'α was : "dash" in the designation represent the mechanized parts, so there was another version of the mechanized EVA-02 before the one we saw in 3.0?

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:09 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Ian, are you referring to Eva-02'β and Eva-08α? Those are the variants seen during Operation US, maintaining that 2.0 look TMB is talking about. Whereas Eva-02'γ and Eva-8β respectively feature the overhauled Wille body kits.

Confer with the below scans:

SPOILER: Show

Oh I didn't even notice duting Operation US, I guess I was too busy gawking at the fight scenes. My bad, I apologize. However, if that's an overhauled Wille design, why does Neo-Nerv also have these designs?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:10 am

Friendly Reminder: This topic is about Eva-13, not the other ones. And if you must go off on a tangent, please don't mix on-topic and off-topic in the same post, unless you can somehow bring it around to all be really about the topic. That way if the tangent grows sufficiently large it can be more easily split out. Or so I'm assuming that will be the case -- I'm still feeling this gig out, obviously.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:13 am

@ Monk Ed : better then to take the discussion from this post and paste it to the "Eva Unit Format(s) and Name Meaning Discussion" thread, no?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”