evangelion 3.0 Shinji's age

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
evangelion fan
Embryo

[SPOILERS] evangelion 3.0 Shinji's age

•      
  •      

Postby evangelion fan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 am

right is Shinji 28 like Asuka or is he still 14 and dose Asuka count as 14 or 28 this realy confusis me

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Uhhhhhh you should really put this thread in the rebuild sub forum not here. Putting that here is kind of spoilery for people who haven't watched the film yet.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Thread marked as spoilers and moved accordingly.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:39 pm

For all practical purposes, they're both 28. However neither of them look nor act 28.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:01 pm

With the actual informations we get, we can say that :
- Asuka and Mari are 28 years old, but stuck in a 14 years-old body.
- Shinji is 14 years old, both mentally and physically.

The key difference being that during the 14 years time skip, the two girls where still conscious, kept living new experiences, while Shinji was in a sort of stasis or trance inside EVA-01's core, thus for him time actually stopped.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Technically, Asuka should be 27, if her birthday is still the same.

And Mari could be 29, she looked closer to Kaworu's age in 2.0, and hadn't stopped growing yet (as the maturation of her mammary glands neccicitated a new plugsuit)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

i'm pretty sure they are ALL 14 becouse all of them sufered contamination, mari went too far into the plug,Shinji went too far into the plug,and Asuka also was too far into the plug, plus the angel rape
ANATA BAKA !?

transcendent12
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby transcendent12 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:angel rape

That's a novel way of staying young :lol:

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Mentally, none of them act 28. How can they? If they're stuck with 14-year-old bodies, they're stuck with 14-year-old brains and hormones. Asuka and Mari have been conscious during those 14 years, but that doesn't mean they're mentally 28. Because they sure as hell don't act like it.

If you're going by sheer timespan, all three of them are technically 28. But physically and mentally, it's more complicated.

palerider1911
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby palerider1911 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Not to go into some big detour about mind/body dualism, but, being that current evidence disproves it [the "mind" is a process of the brain, which is physical, and thus falls under "body"], going into differences in "physical" and "mental" age is diving head first into a false dichotomy.

I can't find it now, but I was reading an article about some person who was made to stop aging so that some strange decease wouldn't kill them, and after several years they have not matured mentally. So, as Lennik is pointing out, if they're stuck in 14-year old bodies, then their brains are also stuck there, and with their brains, their mentality as well.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 pm

View Original Postpalerider1911 wrote:Not to go into some big detour about mind/body dualism, but, being that current evidence disproves it [the "mind" is a process of the brain, which is physical, and thus falls under "body"], going into differences in "physical" and "mental" age is diving head first into a false dichotomy.

I can't find it now, but I was reading an article about some person who was made to stop aging so that some strange decease wouldn't kill them, and after several years they have not matured mentally. So, as Lennik is pointing out, if they're stuck in 14-year old bodies, then their brains are also stuck there, and with their brains, their mentality as well.

Mental maturity is one thing, but there is more to "mental age" than that. Specifically, life experience. Even an immature mind can learn from accumulated experiences.
(Also, I disagree with the mental retardation argument. Even if - no, especially if you quote cutting-edge cognitive science, you had also better provide proof that the writers of the anime support the same point of view. After all, the mental state of the characters in Evangelion is not subject to cognitive science, but to the particular brands of folk psychology, cognitive philosophy and psycho-analysis that Anno subscribes to. And even apart from that, plot trumps science.)

For clarity:

- Shinji: biological age 14 years, life experience 14 years (since both his body or his life consciousness were put into stasis for 14 years).

- Asuka: biological age 14 years, life experience slightly under 28 years (depending how long she was kept in stasis after the 9th Angel ("Bardiel") incident.

- Mari: biological age 14 years, life experience 28 years (but subject to speculation due to how little is known of her)

- Rei 2.0: biological age N/A, life experience at least several months, up to a maximum of 14 years.

- Rei 3.0: biological age 14, life experience probably no more than a few years.

- Kaworu: biological age 14, life experience at least 14 years, but possibly much, much longer (as he awakened at the end of Rebuild 1.0 and has been around since then, but could have accumulated life experience at any time in the past).

- All the other human characters seen in Rebuild 3.0: biological age [whatever age they were in Rebuild 2.0 + 14 years], life experience mostly identical to bodily age

Note:
biological age = apparent age of their bodies
life experience = actual time spent consciously existing in a human body

palerider1911
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby palerider1911 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:09 pm

That's the whole point: We don't know what the ideas/theories the creators subscribe to, which is why everyone is freely speculating about it [like we are about almost everything else in the movie].

The topic has long devolved into one about the differences between "physical" and "mental" age, so that's where I'm approaching it from. [This thread isn't the first time this has been addressed.]

Now, if you have any info from the creators on the topic of Mari and Asuka's mental maturity, in relation to their *temporal* age, then please do share...

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Some hard science fiction story really should tackle the ramifications of suspended animation on the legal system. "Your honor, my client was technically 137 at the time..."

In my mind, Anno included the punched glass moment to show Asuka hasn't changed much, if at all. Then he has Shinji say outirght that she hasn't. That, on top of stuff like Mari still singing her little girl songs strongly imply that this it's a mental as well as physical stunting.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”