[3.33] Things you noticed

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:46 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Remember that in NME, the colour of LCL is blood red and not orange like it was in NGE.

Observe Lilith's magnificent orange LCL streak when Shinji and Misato see her in 1.11:

SPOILER: Show

LCL is also shown as orange when it's flooding Shinji's entry plug pre-ionisation sequence, again in 1.11.

Given Lilith's amazing powers of longevity while speared and missing her legs, I'm not surprised she could exist as a head. In fact, I'm surprised she didn't do anything other than bleed. Unless SEELE has somehow got her to cooperate with them through their "covenant".
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 am

What I don't quite get is how her head is at HQ bridge while her body is in central dogma (considering its a pretty long way to go upstairs to reach the bridge) :/

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 am

View Original PostStan wrote:What I don't quite get is how her head is at HQ bridge while her body is in central dogma (considering its a pretty long way to go upstairs to reach the bridge) :/

The Impact Mechanics thread ponders this item on and off. One idea is that after Lilith was decapitated (by Mark.06?), the forces that were fighting Lilith (Nerv's Evas + JSSDF?) banded together to move the head out of Central Dogma, as a bait to get the Failures of Infinity moving away from Lilith's body.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 am

Isn't the Command Room(where Lilith's head is abandoned) part of Central Dogma? And the body is in Terminal Dogma.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Isn't the Command Room(where Lilith's head is abandoned) part of Central Dogma? And the body is in Terminal Dogma.

I think Terminal Dogma is mentioned in passing in 2.0, but it's not Lilith's resting place anymore. The bottom of the Black Moon, where Lilith's chamber is, is called Central Dogma in NME.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

palerider1911
Adam

Postby palerider1911 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:44 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Isn't the Command Room(where Lilith's head is abandoned) part of Central Dogma? And the body is in Terminal Dogma.

Not in Rebuild. Central Dogma in NME is the same as Terminal Dogma in NGE.

[EDIT: This place is becoming livelier again. I've gotta start treating it as such and refreshing the page before jumping in to answer. :X ]

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 am

Some tidbits from the making-of

Rotoscoping

Someone wondered about the stuff around 08 in its bath

Shinji has awesome stand-in for animatic tests

Eva can-can

Yui

Proof of Mari's Britishness

There's no party like a NERV party

Similar to 1.0 and 2.0, loads of CGI effects tests before they settle on the final one

Unobscured ejector view

Preview test
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

palerider1911
Adam

Postby palerider1911 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm

By the way, I just saw this article on Kotaku about some of the differences between 3.0 and 3.33.

There are a few more if you follow the links at the end of the post. What really caught my eye is the fact that the Mk.04 did not originally have the IPEA-like logo [with the EVA 4 designation] on it. I thought it was just something we missed because of the quality of the camrips, but it just wasn't there before.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that? It seems like a significant thing to add. I mean, it definitely got a lot of our heads spinning when we first noticed it a short while ago, so it's not some small detail that was changed. The majority of the other changes have to do with things like lighting...

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 pm

We already covered that :tongue:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:11 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Blue Monday: And Eva-01 is inside the Wunder's "womb", as well... They seem to be hinting at her own "gestation" with the cover of the 3.0 theater book, which shows her curled up fetus-style in watery blue environs.

Funny, given that Wunder is shaped like a giant Spermatozoon... I suppose that makes Eva-01 a homunculus, which people thought those cells carried prior to better microscopes and discovery of cell nuclei?

@ Tines: I noticed the screwiness myself. There's a giant Dekabutsu-lookalike down there too.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Can we try to keep the Eva Mk.4 stuff over here?

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I suppose that makes Eva-01 a homunculus, which people thought those cells carried prior to better microscopes and discovery of cell nuclei?

Could be, could be! Should cross-post to the AAAW thread so these observations don't get buried.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm

:love:
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 pm

So that funny cube Mari was playing with during the battle with Eva-13 was actually a cube-shaped tea container? I thought it was some sort of battlefield-related thingymajig. I guess that's a pretty Mari thing to do, having high tea while the world's coming to an end.

It also seems they were considering having Eva-08 alone fighting loads of blue Mark.06s, unlike the final version where its Eva 08+02 and the Mark.06s are green.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:25 pm

^
^
Very cool that Anno presents that moment as an almost religious experience. I had pictured the event being much more mundane. Using such mystical imagery that way is really interesting.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 pm

If we're talking about little things, I assume genre tributes also count.

The scene where Fuyutsuki shuts down SEELE's artificial brains while Gendo is talking to them reminds me of the scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey, where Dave gradually disconnects HAL 9000's cognitive circuits, while HAL is talking to him.

---
Also, I believe the only reason that SEELE were artificial computer brains was a necessity as a result of the passage of time. Remember that Gendo and Fuyutsuki's sometimes referred to SEELE as "the old men". Now, Fuyutsuki must be close to 80 in Rebuild 3.0, and if SEELE were older than Fuyutsuki, it is very well possible that they decided that they needed to cast aside their aging and dying bodies in order to still be around to participate in their precious Instrumentality.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:38 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Also, I believe the only reason that SEELE were artificial computer brains was a necessity as a result of the passage of time. Remember that Gendo and Fuyutsuki's sometimes referred to SEELE as "the old men". Now, Fuyutsuki must be close to 80 in Rebuild 3.0, and if SEELE were older than Fuyutsuki, it is very well possible that they decided that they needed to cast aside their aging and dying bodies in order to still be around to participate in their precious Instrumentality.

While Gendo talked to them, he makes the comment "You bestowed upon us the gift of Civilization." It makes me think they must be literally ancient somehow.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Charsi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 pm

re: the off switches themselves (that Fuyutsuki uses) - I have seen that lift-turn-pull mechanic somewhere. I forget where though. An earlier rebuild movie perhaps?

I seem to remember one of them being stuck... its really nagging at me...

Remembered it: Star Trek - First Contact. The deflector array was detached using the exact same cylinder things you lift-turn-pull. Bah it's probably not a homage, then.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:re: the off switches themselves (that Fuyutsuki uses) - I have seen that lift-turn-pull mechanic somewhere. I forget where though. An earlier rebuild movie perhaps?

I seem to remember one of them being stuck... its really nagging at me...

Remembered it: Star Trek - First Contact. The deflector array was detached using the exact same cylinder things you lift-turn-pull. Bah it's probably not a homage, then.

Wouldn't it be in the Jet Alone episode in NGE where Misato tried to push some cylinders to cool down the nuclear reactor?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Regarding Mari... how do you even drink something (like her tea), when you are already in a fluid like LCL?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Going to do some redirection. Remember to use the thread list, people! This subforum has been around for months. Sure, use this thread for its original purpose, but not at the expense of not using better suited threads.

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Also, I believe the only reason that SEELE were artificial computer brains was a necessity as (snip)

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:While Gendo talked to them, he makes the comment "You bestowed upon us the gift of Civilization." It makes me think they must be literally ancient somehow.

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13785/SPOILERS-Seele/

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:If we're talking about little things, I assume genre tributes also count.

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13432/
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”