What the heck is Asuka saying in German in episode 22?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:07 am

Operation Yashima wrote:Actually most characters in NGE aren't very sociable

Very true; but as it is an unambiguous "he" -- it's not going to be Kaji she describes that way, nor Touji or Kensuke.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:25 pm

but is what Tiffany Grant said different from the "Japanese German" version?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:04 pm

V wrote:but is what Tiffany Grant said different from the "Japanese German" version?
I think it was "how" she said it.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:14 am

V wrote:but is what Tiffany Grant said different from the "Japanese German" version?

I've tried to write down what I was able to understand (damn shin-chan):
Japanese dub wrote:Hallo Mutter?
Wir haben uns garnicht(?) gehört.
Danke schön!
Und du?
Soll ich ihn dir bekannt machen? (?)
Ach niemals. Er ist (ein) einsamer Mensch
Ja. Ja. Wirklich?
Ach so! Das ist aber toll, Vater ???!
Hab ich dich gibt's keine lege <-- WTF? Oo
Es ist bald zu Bett gehe.
Auf wiederhören! Gute Nacht!

Englisch dub wrote:Hallo? Hallo Mutti!
Aha
Wir haben uns lange nicht gehört.
Danke schön!
Jaja, ich bin mit die Jungen sehr populär.
Ach ja... niemals!
Er ist ein sauberer Mensch.
Ja... ja... Wirklich?
Ach so, das ist aber toll!
Ach, ich werde jetzt ins Bett gehen
Auf wiederhören! Gute Nacht!

The only real difference between the Japanese and the english dub is:
"Soll ich ihn dir bekannt machen? (?)" (~Should I introduce him to you?) and "Jaja, ich bin mit die Jungen sehr populär." (~Yes yes, I'm very "popular" with the boy).
Oh... and in the Japanese dub is something like this: "Hab ich dich gibt's keine lege" which makes absolutely no sence to me. oO

The completely fucked up German dub wrote:Hallo Mama?
Mann, wir haben ja schon ewig nicht mehr gequatscht.
Wie geht es den dir?
Danke schön!
Warum fragst du das? Machst du dir etwa Sorgen?
Nein... niemals, er ist ein wirklich netter Kerl.
Ja, ja, ach echt jetzt?
Ist ja ein Ding... das ist aber toll!
???
Hör mal, ich muss langsam schluss machen, ist schon sehr spät bei uns.
Ich bin voll Müde, echt!
Also tschüß dann, wir hören uns!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:39 am

>> Wir haben uns garnicht(?) gehört.

Wir haben uns gar nicht gehört. -- "gar nicht" = "not at all"

>>"Jaja, ich bin mit die Jungen sehr populär." (~Yes yes, I'm very "popular" with the boy).

"Die Jungen" is plural.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:14 am

Mr. Tines wrote:>> Wir haben uns garnicht(?) gehört.

Wir haben uns gar nicht gehört. -- "gar nicht" = "not at all"

:lol:
I know... My native language is German. I wasn't sure if I understand it correctly and so I placed the question mark behind the "gar nicht".
>>"Jaja, ich bin mit die Jungen sehr populär." (~Yes yes, I'm very "popular" with the boy).

"Die Jungen" is plural.

Well... the "die Jungen" isn't correct at all in this context. It could be either "den Jungen" or "dem Jungen".
If it was meant as "den Jungen" then it's plural => Yes yes, I'm very popular with the boys.
But if it was meant as "dem Jungen" then it's singular => Yes yes, I'm very popular with the boy.
Furthermore the "mit" and the "populär" are quite strange... "Jaja, ich bin bei den Jungen sehr beliebt" would make more sense.
Last edited by badc0de on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:15 am

Tiffany grant wrote that bit remember.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 am

View Original PostDatDude wrote:Tiffany grant wrote that bit remember.

Actually IMHO Tiffany's German is better than the Japanese dub (mainly the pronounciation).

If I may also have a crack at providing an interpretation. I don't think a literal translation will help- for example ObsessiveMathsFreak picked up on the word "clean" earlier in this thread. "Sauber" (clean) can be used to mean "perfect" as a superlative, just one of many linguistic differences. So here's my take on the dub version:
Hallo Mutti - Hi, Mum

Ich bin mit die Jungen* sehr poplar. - I am very popular with the boys (not a statement of sluttiness, just gloating about being the prettiest girl in school)

Niemals! Er ist ein sehrberer(?)** mensch - Never! (mock indignantly) He is a gentleman**.

(Shinji pondering)

Ach, so. Das ist aber toll. Aber ich werde jetzt in Bett gehen. Aufwiederhoeren. Guten nacht - Owww...wow! That's great. I'd better go to sleep now. Speak soon. Good night.

* German purists will note that I've messed up the dative pronoun. I'm a bit rusty, please excuse me (but I think the actors also got it wrong, so there!) As for whether she's popular with "the boy" or "the boys" (either way, as badc0de says, the grammar is wrong) she's just trash talking, so it doesn't really matter. But to me "the boys" seems more fitting to me. Especially since she has bragged to Shinji that she's "the most popular girl in school".

** The most important word of the sentence, and it can't be understood, dammit!! (sehrberer is not a word, it's just what it sounds like she says). I've paraphrased "gentleman" based on the context in the conversation. To me, the word definitely doesn't sound like "lonely" and from the context + tone it doesn't seem like she's whinging about Shinji's dullness.

So my take on the conversation is basically she's having a light-hearted gloat session about how popular she is at school, but her (fictional) boyfriend is very polite so, don't worry Mummie, he's not making your little princess do naughty things.
Last edited by nomis1242 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:36 am

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:
* German purists will note that I've messed up the dative pronoun. I'm a bit rusty, please excuse me

Yeah, it should be "mit den Jungen." Also, I'm pretty sure that line is only in the English dub.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:52 am

To dig up an old thread, and an even older post...

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Babelfish gives sauber as "clean". I took the conversation to be something akin to the following:

Mother: Is that the messy boy you live with? (Or words to that effect)
Asuka: No way! He's a neat freak! (Or word's to that effect)
Sure, the literal translation is "clean" but Germans use it in far more contexts than English speakers. I'll find out from some German friends what it means in this context*, in the meantime my guess is "honourable man". (which from the context I have taken to mean "he doesn't only want to get in my pants")
*EDIT: I've been told it's a very strange way to phrase things and wouldn't really be used. So it's hard to determine what the intent of the line was, but the closest translation of what was said is either "he's a law-abiding man" or "he's a neat-freak".

After checking with the Japanese audio, the magic word is definitely "sauber" (clean), not "einsamer" (lonely). Of the two, "sauber" is closer to how it sounds in the English dub, and Occam's Razor also suggests that the intention of the mispronounced word was "sauber".

FWIW the Platinum booklets have the translation of the Japanese version**, which is subtly different to the English (poor German in a different way :bigeyes: )

EDIT 2: ** Actually the Platinum booklet is different to all the Japanese and English versions, which is strange. Also, AFAIK it is the only place "not sociable" / "lonely" is mentioned.
Last edited by nomis1242 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:49 pm

if you like to know, in the german dub she says "netter kerl" which means "nice guy" and is on par with the gentleman context.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:01 pm

German-speaker here.

Asuka´s VA´s german is terribad.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:37 pm

well, i am a german speaker too and thought ziffer was ok. her german made at least sense.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:58 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:if you like to know, in the german dub she says "netter kerl" which means "nice guy" and is on par with the gentleman context.

Thanks! That's a really helpful clue.

die-yng
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby die-yng » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:23 am

Sure, the literal translation is "clean" but Germans use it in far more contexts than English speakers. I'll find out from some German friends what it means in this context*, in the meantime my guess is "honourable man". (which from the context I have taken to mean "he doesn't only want to get in my pants")
*EDIT: I've been told it's a very strange way to phrase things and wouldn't really be used. So it's hard to determine what the intent of the line was, but the closest translation of what was said is either "he's a law-abiding man" or "he's a neat-freak".

Yes, the phrasing is way off, but that's normal. Never really heard good german in any movie or tv-series.

I have another possible translation.
Instead of "sauber" (clean or an old fashioned slang for being cool or basically a "great guy"),
It could be (very badly pronounced) "er ist ein sehr ehrbarer Mensch, translating to "he is a very honorable man" (Although "Mann" = man would normally be used, not "Mensch" meaning human).
Last edited by die-yng on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:26 pm

View Original Postdie-yng wrote:Instead of "sauber" (clean or an old fashioned slang for being cool or basically a "great guy"),
It could be (very badly pronounced) "er ist ein sehr ehrbarer Mensch (Although "Mann" = man would normally be used, not "Mensch" meaning human.
Thanks! Good idea, "ehrbarer" works better for my pre-conceived idea of the meaning of the conversation...

I think it's fairly clear that the Japanese dub is "sauber", but maybe the English VA tried to "improve" that line (she did change some other stuff)

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm

It's a little thing, but I like that Grant!Asuka says "Mutti" rather than "Mutter".

Also, fun little fact: "Toll", a German word, can mean both "Crazy" and "Cool". Sums up NGE pretty well, I think.
Even in death, I still nerd.

die-yng
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby die-yng » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm

"Toll" meaning crazy would be very archaic, cetainly not modern german not even 20-30 years ago.

It's basically translatable as cool or great or fine nowadays, but still it would be a great one word summary of NGE.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 am

I think that she said "sauber" which is the simplest explanation if we guess that her mom asked something about Shinji being messy. I don't know German natively but I think "sauber" would just mean clean. I don't think Asuka would say something like "an honorable guy" given the likely nature of the conversation.

die-yng
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby die-yng » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:26 pm

When her stepmother simply asked what kind of a guy Shinji is, it might be possible.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”