3.0 to hit North American theaters in January 2014

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Nerdily interjects - Uh, it was actually the double combo of 'Gremlins' & 'Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom' that caused Steven Spielberg & Amblin to talk the MPAA into instigating a rating between PG & R & not Raiders of the Lost Arc.

Nerdily shuffles back into the darkness.

Nerdily counters that Spielberg calls of of his Indiana Jones movies "Raiders Films."

Nerdily awkward silence...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Reichu interjects, IT'S TOPIC TIME.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

weeminator24
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby weeminator24 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:59 pm

As of today Rightstuf is listing the DVD and Blu-Ray for pre-order for February the 18...

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:23 pm

View Original Postweeminator24 wrote:As of today Rightstuf is listing the DVD and Blu-Ray for pre-order for February the 18...

You weren't kidding. Pre-orders are up:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/QNVG-xgCyOON2DOICr/browse/item/100570/4/0/0

Anyway, glad to see that Funi still presents their films on the big screen. Those interested: take advantage (and of course, see the first 2 films. No seriously, you should. Fans would sometimes bring people that never saw the previous sequels. It happens.)

I wish they weren't doing it at all. I really just want them to cut to the chase and release a domestic copy.

Oh, be patient, you.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:14 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:There are those who like to think EOE would have gotten an NC-17 based on the hospital scene and Asuka's death, but they're forgetting that The Squid and the Whale had a scene where a boy Shinji's age jacks off in a library and smears his cum on books, and that got an R.

Hell, when it comes to gore, EOE isn't THAT gorey when compared to Akira or Elfed Lied.

Yeah, EOE would have been a solid R, no question.

The MPAA is super unpredictable when it comes to films that aren't either familiar in genre/content or major studio fare. Perfect Blue had to have several scenes cut from its US theatrical release (mostly the stabbing and mock-rape scenes, I think) in order to receive an R rating. With a few notable exceptions (mostly in the context of gross-out comedies), onscreen depiction of semen, animated or not, is liable to set their Public Decency Meters haywire, consistency be damned.

For more information on exactly how wack the MPAA is see the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated

Also I have no idea why people talk about Akira like it was the most violent anime ever, it's violent alright but even compared to EoE it's practically tame.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:53 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Also I have no idea why people talk about Akira like it was the most violent anime ever, it's violent alright but even compared to EoE it's practically tame.

Akira was everyone's first love when it came out in the late 80's, that's why. (Heck, it was my first love and I didn't even see it until the year 2007.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Also I have no idea why people talk about Akira like it was the most violent anime ever, it's violent alright but even compared to EoE it's practically tame.

It's because of THAT scene, the one where Testuo has a superpower meltdown. His main superpower is regeneration.
It's as horrendous as you imagine.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:06 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:You weren't kidding. Pre-orders are up:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/QNVG-xgCyOON2DOICr/browse/item/100570/4/0/0

"Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo Hyb"

God damn it I really hate it when they do that.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:For more information on exactly how wack the MPAA is see the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated

Also I have no idea why people talk about Akira like it was the most violent anime ever, it's violent alright but even compared to EoE it's practically tame.

I've seen that doc.

As for the violence, at least in EOE you aren't seeing human guts and intestines spilling out multiple times throughout the film. And yeah, the transformation scene.....
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It's because of THAT scene, the one where Testuo has a superpower meltdown. His main superpower is regeneration.
It's as horrendous as you imagine.

That's more grotesque than outright violent, and that's an area in which EoE can match (or exceed) it easily.

Also, what? Tetsuo's superpower isn't regeneration. If it was, he would've done something about that arm rather than just replacing it with scrap metal.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:48 pm

AKIRA had a lot of stylization to its violence. One dude at the beginning is sprayed with bullets, and blood flies freely everywhere. The gore and just plain grossness of Tetsuo's transformation sequence was also very much stylized.

But I also thing that Asuka's final fight scene in EoE tops anything like that in sheer number.I guess one can cam an argument that, because there more of it in that one scene of EoE than in AKIRA as a whole, that one might become more desensitized to it more quickly than they would in AKIRA. Regardless, Asuka's lines "I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you," (followed much later by "How disgusting,") are much more emotionally damning than Tetsuo's final line "I am Tetsuo," giving EoE's violent blood bath one final memorable blow.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Well Akira isn't quite so much of an emotionally driven film to begin with. It's all visceral and cerebral, but emotional, not so much. "I am Tetsuo" spoken into a silent 2001-esque incoming void of cosmic creation followed by the main theme kicking in and fade to black is a hella cool ending.

btw Americans Akira is on TV December 7, mark your calenders

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Er, topic?

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:04 am

Topic?

EVA 3.0 COMING TO THEATERS NEAR ALL YOU BITCHES YE HAAA HEAD EXPLOSIONS AND YAOI BUNCHES UP THE ASSSMNCA.KJERHGE/.

There, happy?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:44 am

View Original PostApolloIVtv wrote:Topic?

EVA 3.0 COMING TO THEATERS NEAR ALL YOU BITCHES YE HAAA HEAD EXPLOSIONS AND YAOI BUNCHES UP THE ASSSMNCA.KJERHGE/.

There, happy?

Don't act like a jackass. Thread temporarily locked.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Funmation's official Evangelion Facebook page (separate from Funi's FB page, for some reason) also linked to the RightStuf listing, stating that the release date was Feb. 18th. But it also stated that the date was subject to change.

Take that however you will.

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Wanna see Evangelion 3.0 in your city, but afraid it won't come?

Have no fear! You can demand it today at http://eventful.com/performers/evangelion-30-you-can-not-redo-/P0-001-014193913-6.

All you have to do is choose your city, type in your email, and bam! You've just demanded the film!

I demanded it come to Windsor, Canada. I mean, we got the DW 50th Anniversary AND we are getting the final Madoka Magica movie, so why not Evangelion?
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm demanding that film in L.A. I'll really be surprised if it doesn't show up in Little Tokyo. ;)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:16 pm

https://www.evageeks.org/2013/12/evangelion-3-0-theatre-listing-announced/

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:42 pm

It's all American... :sniffle:

Why do people hate Canada?!?!? :boohoo:
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”