WTF is with Kaworu and Asuka (shipping)?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:40 pm

What makes A x S work in my opinion is just how screwed up the "relationship" is. Two self-hating, socially inept children with parental issues: they're perfect for each other. Besides, in real life there is no such thing as a perfect relationship, A x S reflects that which is why I support it even though I don't ship.

Aside from that, I could defiantly see A x K working although I get the feeling that Kaworu would eventually get bored with Asuka for some reason.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm

I like the way you think.

A/R is of course the general result of yuri goggles, though you can get A/H without turning up their setting quite so high. A/T strikes me as plausible, especially at some time a few years later, all assuming a business-as-usual future, since Touji is the most masculine of the named youngsters.

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Aside from that, I could defiantly see A x K working although I get the feeling that Kaworu would eventually get bored with Asuka for some reason.
I think she'd have to kill him as the 17th Angel before it came to that point -- a brief spectacular and tragic romance, just on the cusp of where things all go to hell.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:12 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I think she'd have to kill him as the 17th Angel before it came to that point -- a brief spectacular and tragic romance, just on the cusp of where things all go to hell.

That would actually be an amazing ending.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Kaworu06
Adam

KawroruXAsuka

•      
  •      

Postby Kaworu06 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:07 pm

:asuka_geh: :scanners_head:

Yep! I Love It!
I also go by:
Sylvi Jenni Annukka Lea Pentti.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 pm

It's Kaworu... unless you want yourself to be with Asuka.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Didn't we already have a thread for the OTP of Evangelion?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:32 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Didn't we already have a thread for the OTP of Evangelion?

Merged with existing thread.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Somewhat relevant:

Anywho, I don't see anything wrong with this. I know it's impossible, and I know it would never work out in canon, but I don't know . . . Let the shippers have their fun, is my attitude on this, it's not something that'll stop me from reading a fan fic or the like, even if Kaworu is a dirty, stinking, rotten traitor who deserves a bolter round to the core more than anything . . . Annnnyyyyywho, here's another K/A picture for the shippers.

Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:47 am

It works better than I expected...
Oh shippers.
I feel old

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:52 pm

I think it's a surprisingly good pairing, at least in the short term. It'd ultimately run into the same problem Shinji x Kaworu would, though, in that Kaworu's on a different wavelength from normal humans and the relationship would be entirely one-sided. They do look pretty good together, though.

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: while I enjoyed EM's essay I think he's bonkers in his assessment of Shinji and Asuka's compatibility. Those two have a ridiculous amount in common -- dead mothers inhabiting their Evas, douchebag fathers who ignored and discarded them, the various trials and tribulations of being Eva pilots, a desperate need for love and affection and general acceptance, ridiculous amounts of self-loathing, etc. Asuka hates Shinji because he reminds her of everything she hates about herself -- everything her abrasive and extroverted persona is supposed to hide. If anything, I think the big problem facing them is that they're too much alike (and, after 3I, the fact that they know too much about one another). Familiarity breeds contempt, and all that.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:While I can see how fans like Asuka/Kaworu, I'm somewhat interested in the dynamics of Asuka/Shinji/Kaworu. (That probably sounds wrong and I don't exactly mean kink, but there is that too.) Probably not the thread for it, but there is how Kaworu (and Rei) represent Ideal/Instrumentality versus Asuka being Real/Reality...well, one way of looking at the series in terms of how Shinji relates to the other characters.

I've thought this as well. I don't think you need Kaworu in the picture to run with it, though; the fact that he was there before is enough, since the comparison will be there in Shinji's mind. And since so much of what happened in EoE is a direct result of his state after Kaworu's de facto betrayal (intentional or no) I think Asuka would be well aware of it as well. Why this hasn't been further addressed in fanfics is utterly beyond my ken.
Last edited by Bagheera on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

I can agree with that. Although, who's it sided on? I personally think Asuka would benefit by someone who would love and care for her while at the same time would listen to her problems, and that Kaworu would then be able to study and understand humans (even though Asuka isn't the perfect model, but that is just my opinion) while being able to engulf Asuka with the love he can give. Ultimately, Asuka would benefit more, but Kaworu wouldn't be the type that would really care. They certainly wouldn't break up, from my viewpoint (or, until Kaworu tries to start Third Impact).
The Moats of Quotes

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:10 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I can agree with that. Although, who's it sided on? I personally think Asuka would benefit by someone who would love and care for her while at the same time would listen to her problems, and that Kaworu would then be able to study and understand humans (even though Asuka isn't the perfect model, but that is just my opinion) while being able to engulf Asuka with the love he can give. Ultimately, Asuka would benefit more, but Kaworu wouldn't be the type that would really care. They certainly wouldn't break up, from my viewpoint (or, until Kaworu tries to start Third Impact).

It's one-sided in Asuka's favor. Kaworu doesn't really get anything out of it (he doesn't need her to study humanity, and would get bored with her in short order). Asuka, by contrast, would become a neurotic wreck once she realized -- quite early on, IMO, since she's pretty bright -- that she has absolutely nothing to offer him. End result: Dooooooooom.

But again, they do make a cute couple. In an AU where Asuka wasn't so fucked up I don't see why it couldn't work out marvelously.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:41 pm

I can agree that Kaworu doesn't need her to study humanity, Bagheera, but if Asuka can talk to him freely about her opinions, beliefs, and all those other things, I would suppose that it would be significantly easier for him to study humanity (and anyways, who could get bored with Asuka? She is by far the most entertaining character in the series!). And, as you said, Asuka would be bright enough to understand that she is giving him the luxury of knowledge (because, in NGE and irl, knowledge is power), therefore she does have something to offer. And, in return, she gets the love and care from Kaworu, just because he's cool like that. Consider it a trade off, if you will. But, it is only a viewpoint. I could be completely wrong!

Although, AU Asuka and Kaworu would be almost obnoxiously cute. Not as rewarding, but still very cute.
The Moats of Quotes

bkquk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bkquk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 am

yeah I never understand why people have them as a pairing :uhh:
evangelion will be the death of me one day...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 am

Welcome to the party. There's a thread in Off Topic for introductions you might want to check out.

I'd assume it's a combination of not caring much for Shinji and wanting to save Asuka from her issues at the series' final hours. Kaworu could presumably give her much the same treatment that Shinji got in 24.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 am

You mean making her feel better by loving her unconditionally before crushing her heart when he will force her to kill him? :lol:

Although it wasn't really his fault(was SEELE's pawn, not really working on the same morality than Lilin, fated to die to save mankind), in the end in NGE Kaworu did more harm than good to Shinji!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 am

View Original Postbkquk wrote:yeah I never understand why people have them as a pairing :uhh:

1. Shinji wouldn't be the right person and wouldn't be able to give her the love she wants.
2. Kaworu goes well with EVERYONE, he may have some issues with her "tsundere shell" but once it is broken, she'll love him forever.
3. Kaworu looks like Kaji, he isn't afraid of anything, he's stable unlike Shinji, Asuka needs someone stable to protect and take care of her, and since Kaji is too old for her, Kaworu would be alright.
4. It's underrated because "OH MAH GAWD WAT IS THIZ KAWORU GOEZ ONLY WTH Shinji CUZ HE LOVES HIM AND WANTS 2 FK HIM AND Asuka GOEZ WELL WTH Shinji CUZ ITZ NOT ME PAIRING U JUS DUN GET IT" and they don't want to lose their yaoi pigs, so they don't care about them.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 am

I've never really understood this pairing either. For me the biggest wall was "WTF GUYS THEY NEVER EVEN MEET!" (although I guess they do in the manga? but I haven't read it so...)
I realize that is in no way an obstacle to most shipping but I do need some starting point.

Anyway, skimming over some of the replies here, I'm actually more than willing to buy the "Kaworu is a pillar of stability" arguement.

Too bad it's a pillar rigged with explosives that will go off as soon as it becomes loadbearing... :scanners_head:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I've never really understood this pairing either. For me the biggest wall was "WTF GUYS THEY NEVER EVEN MEET!" (although I guess they do in the manga? but I haven't read it so...)
I realize that is in no way an obstacle to most shipping but I do need some starting point.

They do meet in the Manga. But who cares? There are people who ship Rei and Asuka, which is so senseless it pisses me off to death.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I've never really understood this pairing either. For me the biggest wall was "WTF GUYS THEY NEVER EVEN MEET!"

Until last November, the original series continuity was the only official setting where they didn't.

Of course, another motivation could be "Double the NTR, double the fun!" as per

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”