WTF is with Kaworu and Asuka (shipping)?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Well, what about Asuka's legitimate target, Kaji? Is there a Kaji/Asuka ship yet?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:18 pm

What about Asuka/Rei? Where is the love for us yuri fans?

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:19 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:What about Asuka/Rei? Where is the love for us yuri fans?

A casual look at Fakku doesn't yield much.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Asuka/Kaworu is an interesting one. On the one hand, Kaworu could do Asuka a lot of good, much like he did with Shinji. He appears to be the only character in the series who truly understands anyone, after all. I think the pairing has a lot of potential...

...Right up until he is revealed as the 17th Angel. Having to kill Kaworu did Shinji a huge amount of damage, and I think it would utterly destroy Asuka.

Also, in ATE, she calls him a "pretentious gayboy" half the time. I don't think they would get along.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm not a fan of shipping, but if i had to choose, Asuka and Kaworu would definitely be pretty interesting couple, in my opinion. :3

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:49 pm

It's interesting, but has no actual basis in terms of romance as far as can be discerned. I doubt Kaworu even knows Asuka exists, and she wouldn't be his type anyway, since she isn't musically inclined and isn't a male.

And I'm nothing like you

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:17 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:It's interesting, but has no actual basis in terms of romance as far as can be discerned. I doubt Kaworu even knows Asuka exists, and she wouldn't be his type anyway, since she isn't musically inclined and isn't a male.

I imagine Kaworu as pansexual/omnisexual rather than flat-out gay-that is to say, he is not concerned by gender when it comes to love. Saying that, I imagine he has a more platonic/romantic outlook on attraction than anything sexual. He is an Angel after all, and I don't think he properly understands human sexual practices. So, for comparison, here's what I think Kaworu and various other male Eva characters would be thinking upon seeing Asuka in her usual attire:

Shinji: "Oh my, she is quite pretty. Maybe I should talk-no, maybe not...I think I should just be quiet..."

Touji: "Darn, she's a purty one. I should introduce myself!"

Kaworu: "She truly is a beautiful example of the Lilin, but I sense hurt within her. She needs companionship, but not too close lest she become uncomfortable. I should do what I can to help her"

Gendo: "Get in the fookin' robot, Asuka"
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:27 pm

That feels Gendo's response to most things.
'I don't know why I'm here!'
'Get in the robot.'
'You don't love me.'
'The robot does, get in it.'
'I have lost most of my arm...going...into shock...'
'Robot. Do it. Now.'
'I have a splinter.'
'GET IN THE DAMN ROBOT!'

I think the idea of Kaworu being pansexual is spot on. He's only a boy in the same way Rei is a girl; they are essentially genderless cosmic beings contained within limited, gendered shells. The only difference is Kaworu knows it...more or less.

I think that opens his views on things tremendously, which means that, if you can find a way to hack it...sure, why not? Asuka and Kaworu. Boom. My only beef is it has to be organic, as in it has a natural progression. I am perfectly willing to throw my suspension of disbelief into traffic, but I like being tricked into it a lot more than being forced. :devil:
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:22 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Kaworu: "She truly is a beautiful example of the Lilin, but I sense hurt within her. She needs companionship, but not too close lest she become uncomfortable. I should do what I can to help her"
:heart:

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:18 pm

+1
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:47 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Kaworu: "She truly is a beautiful example of the Lilin, but I sense hurt within her. She needs companionship, but not too close lest she become uncomfortable. I should do what I can to help her"

"Help" of course being a euphamism for "Wait until she's at the breaking point, then shove her past it."
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Heh-heh....puts a new spin on 'He's quite the heartbreaker.'
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:15 am

My theory is that Kaworu turns into EvilMangaKaworu whenever Shinji isn't there. If he was in a relationship with Asuka he would probably start by killing tying her to a chair and killing kittens in front of her until she drops her ego barrier and surrenders herself to him.

And I'm nothing like you

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:My theory is that Kaworu turns into EvilMangaKaworu whenever Shinji isn't there.
This is (not) Tekken.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 am

The colors red & white look great side by side?

Eh. Shipping's weird.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: WTF is with Kaworu and Asuka (shipping)?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:46 pm

There's just a tendency to slap him onto whoever doesn't get Shinji if the author still wants to give them a happy ending. (Same with Rei/Kaworu)

It's also that he's a nice & attentive type of guy so whoever he wound up with would probably be happy (if it weren't for the invevitable death & )

While there are exceptions, I'd say that about half of the ppl who read Asuka-related ship fics are mainly interested in Asuka & not whoever she's paired with, ie, they don't give a rats ass about Shinji & just want a self-insert so they can make her happy & take away all the pain she evidently have without taking into account that if you existed in the same world as her you couldn't magically know her secret angst because you wouldn't have seen eps 22 or 25. But to that purpose Kaworu is more useful as a self-insert as he's canonically pretty good at reading people's feelings & likes a challenge & has a thing for vulnerability & contradictions.

Still, Shinji shares his artsy & philosophical streaks & his inner conflict about their seemingly predetermined fates. Asuka would probably be more like the Lillim equivalent of the "just blow the humans up" style of angels. (If Shinji were an angel he'd be more among the lines of Leliel or Amisael, in that he'd probably make a counterproductive attempt to talk to the humans.- In any case he's like "Why are they attacking us? what ight be their side of the story?" long before Kaworu shows up. )
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:55 am

I think that the reason as for why A/K shipping exists is due to how Shinji's and Kaworu's relationship in the original show worked. Kaworu represented a sort of idealized figure to Shinji, possibly more than that, granting his wish for someone to understand him, he appeared at Shinji's darkest hour, giving him the love that he had lacked for the longest time in his life.

Their relationship was pretty much a commentary on Shinji's desperate need for attention and emotional support. And since Asuka is very much similar to Shinji in a similar sense, but it's shown in a different way with her acting tough and self absorbed to hide her loneliness.

I'm sure if the circumstances where arranged in a way where Asuka and Kaworu were to meet and Kaworu were to take a interest in Asuka similar to Shinji, then yeah, I'm sure Asuka would have feelings for Kaworu.

But I'm sure when he is revealed as the 17th Angel would utterly destroy Asuka. For Shinji, killing Kaworu pretty much made him want to give up on life. I can't imagine what that would be like for Asuka.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:06 am

^ Asuka never really seemes suceptible to the same 'moral dillema' kind of scenarios as Shinji was, though - her policy seems to be that if something attacks her (real or perceived) she gets to bite back, has little qualms about collateral damage or even fighting humas. I doubt she'd hesitate much once Kworu was revealed to be an angel if anything the perceived betrayal would make her more ruthless.

Also while there's similar trauma lets not forget that they coped/reacted in completely different ways. I'd think how they reacted is much more indicative of who they are than external circumstances outside their control - and wanting to be loved / being somewhat afraid of rejection is an universal human thing, to varying degrees, not a great similarity. Most of the cast is "secretly lonely"
By the time she was losing it later in the series she rejected (sometimes violently) all attempts of everyone to cherr her up or be nice to her - she's in a double bind because she wants attention & love just like everyone else but invariably reads other people's concern as "pity" or "weakness".
Plus she didn't react all that well to Rei's not-quite-human-ness, why would Kaworu be different?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:47 pm

^ Well for Rei, the reason as for why Asuka dislikes her so much is due to how emotionless and so serving she was, Rei didn't care about herself, she only really cared about her purpose as a tool. Thus she had a difficult time trying to connect with other people.

Asuka’s essential narcissism meant that she valued the spotlight & was loath to share it, Rei saw piloting the Eva as primarily a source of suffering.

But with Kaworu, I think that it would be different in a sense, because unlike Rei, he understands people, he knows how they tick and he knows how to get through them in such a short amount of time. Like with Shinji, in just a short amount of time he managed to make Shinji fall head over heels for Kaworu.

I think someone like him would be able to boost Asuka's confidence and ego, because for Asuka, piloting the Eva was her source of pride. And when she lost it, she had pretty much nothing left, by having Kaworu around to give her some sort of happiness like with Shinji, she would probably have SOME interest in him. But hey, who knows?

But yeah I agree with how Kaworu's "betrayal" would only make Asuka more ruthless as a result, thus making her even more unhappy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Kaworu
"Your heart is delicate, like glass..."

Asuka
"'Delicate'? I'll show you 'delicate'!"

(beats the shit out of Kaworu and leaves him in a bruised and bloody heap on the floor)

Kaworu
(spits out tooth)
"...Easily broken, but that's when it does the most damage."

Asuka
"......... Baka."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”