Official Pokémon Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

PG 134
Adam

Re: Official Pokémon Thread

•      
  •      

Postby PG 134 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Be Safe
Be Respectful
Be Reasonable
Be Understanding

That goes for just about anything in life.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:43 pm

LOL Pokemon GO. I noticed a big decline in my area, people moved on it seems. That first week was crazy, now it settled down a bit.

View Original PostPG 134 wrote:Be Safe
Be Respectful
Be Reasonable
Be Understanding

That goes for just about anything in life.

And sometimes be demanding and harsh because people tend to use and abuse your kindness.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm still going pretty strong, and am actually enjoying it more now that I've become more familiar with how it all works. Los Angeles is great for this game. It's also renewed my interest in my profile on Sapphire, on my old Gameboy Advance SP, which was only about halfway through the story when I'd stopped.

I sort of want to get a 3DS so I can play all the gens I've missed after the Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald gen and the LeafGreen/FireRed remakes.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Been playing the game on and off I can't believe how many kids walk around with their heads down it's like an accident waiting to happen.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Sooooo, I caved and bought a 3DS so I can play REAL Pokemon. They re-released Yellow/Red/Blue for download back in February, which means all the regions are now playable on the 3DS (and all the generations besides II and III). I've been playing Pokemon X, and I've been pleasantly surprised by it's quality. Of course, there are WAY too many Pokemon now, but there's a decent amount of first gen Pokemon available which keeps the game familiar. That, and shortly into the story (after the first badge), you get to choose a second starter from first gen; IOW, on top of the gen VI starter you get as your first Pokemon, you also get to choose between Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle! That alone has made this game so much more fun. I'm looking forward to Sun/Moon when it comes out.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:02 pm

The Sun and Moon demo came out in several places today and comes out in the US tomorrow. I've watched a few videos of gameplay and it looks and sounds gorgeous. Plus you get a Greninja with the Battle Bond ability, which allows it to transform into Ash-Greninja for +110 to its base stats.

Some data miners have already tried poking around in the demo to dig up dirt on the new Pokemon, and apparently gamefreak learned from the ORAS demo incident because they say all the non-demo Pokemon have been replaced with Pikachu.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm just going to wait for the actual game to come out.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:20 am

^ All you get for playing is the Ash-Greninja to transfer to your main game, so there's no reason not to skip if if you're not interested in that.

Models for most or all of the new Pokemon have been shown as of this morning, so take care out there if you're worried about spoilers! ^_^ I just looked at a couple I was curious about. Really excited!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am

ALL the new Pokemon? How many are there in this generation?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:45 am

From what I've been reading recently, the final Pokedex tally in the game is
BIG SPOILER  SPOILER: Show
800 but some of them have missing sprites. I don't know if that includes the Alolan Forms and Ultra Beasts or not. Volcanion is 721 so that's 79 new entries.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:51 pm

79? On the one hand that sort of makes sense, since Alola is based on Hawaii and islands generally don't have that many native species. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if we'll ever have another generation with 100+.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:11 pm

I'd much rather they not keep pumping out 100+ new Pokemon with each generation. Quality over quantity, please. I kind of like that they went with Alola versions of existing Pokemon instead.
- Sachi

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:27 pm

^Me too. I think it's much better to have a smaller number of brand new Pokemon that are well designed and fun to use than 100+ with half-baked ideas or useless dex filler like Chimecho, Chingling or more babies. Plus, they've been giving some old Pokemon a much needed refresh with some fun new tricks via Megas and Alolan forms. Some of the Gen 1 Pokemon were really lagging behind by Gen V. Garchomp and Salamence not so much. :lol:

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:47 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Sooooo, I caved and bought a 3DS so I can play REAL Pokemon. They re-released Yellow/Red/Blue for download back in February, which means all the regions are now playable on the 3DS (and all the generations besides II and III). I've been playing Pokemon X, and I've been pleasantly surprised by it's quality. Of course, there are WAY too many Pokemon now, but there's a decent amount of first gen Pokemon available which keeps the game familiar. That, and shortly into the story (after the first badge), you get to choose a second starter from first gen; IOW, on top of the gen VI starter you get as your first Pokemon, you also get to choose between Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle! That alone has made this game so much more fun. I'm looking forward to Sun/Moon when it comes out.

Great to see people (old-school fans in particular) enjoying X/Y after all the negativity on 4chan and GameFAQs towards them, even though they aren't the best Pokémon games by any means :)
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:59 pm

You guys check out the new anime? Ash looks derpy, but the actual animation is very good and fluid. Battles look nice. And the general comedic nature feels refreshing. I like it!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:58 am

Anybody get their hands on Sun/Moon yet? I'm really debating whether or not I'd rather get this than FFXV this month (although, other factors are leaning me toward XV). The full scaled 3D world looks amazing, and I'm interested to see how the story progresses without the traditional goal of collecting badges.
- Sachi

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:34 am

I bought my copy of Pokemon Sun the other day, though I am planning on saving it til the new years.

I have seen some Let's Plays online though, and the full scale 3D is quite impressive. I am quite pleased with the look of the interface and I feel that it's probably going to play smoother in long sessions than X/Y / OR/AS. In regards to the absence of badge-collecting, there are several challenges on each of the games' four islands - I am avoiding spoilers about the progression though so I don't know how the player's progression is tracked.

All that said, once I load up the game I'll likely be going with Rowlet. I've generally liked the grass starters of each generation more than the others on offer, though this is the first time since White 2 that I'll have actually picked the grass starter.

SPOILER: Show
I'm looking forward to raising Rowlet! and reaping the rewards its final evolution's - Decidueye's - Grass/Ghost typing. That, and Decidueye's design shares a strong resemblance to that of Huntress Wizard, one of my favourite characters in Adventure Time. It's going to be great.

How about you, EvaGeeks? Which starter are you going to choose this time around? :emogendo:
Voluntary Illusion.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 am

I picked Litten! ^_^ It was down to a choice between Litten and Rowlet, but Incineroar was too cool for me to pass up.

So far I absolutely adore these games with a few small complaints. The biggest one is that the encounter rates for the new Pokemon seem a little low. You have to do quite a bit of searching to find a few of them. Not sure if I'll get annoyed with the SOS mechanic or not.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Has anybody else enjoyed Sun/Moon as much as I have? After I was robbed a while back and I lost my copy of Moon, I eventually got a new 3DS along with Sun and I went right back into it. As of now, I've done just about all there is to do and filled out as much of the Pokedex as is possible without trading. I liked the story, the smoothness of the gameplay, and I liked many of the new Pokemon, however what I think I liked the most was the return of many classic Pokemon, many of which had new regional designs and different types. I liked the new Ride Pokemon system, instead of using HM slaves to fly and surf everywhere, but Charizard is the one Ride Pokemon that you can't also find in the wild, which is kind of lame (the rest are obtainable, like Lapras, Tauros, Machamp, Stoutland, etc).

Rowlet was my starter, and I love his grass/ghost combination once he becomes Decidueye. Snorlax was my second main Pokemon used, mostly because of its move 'Hold Back', which is great for catching Pokemon, as it always leave them with 1 HP remaining. I was never much of a fan of Raichu before, but in this game it's an electric/psychic type, which makes it way better (plus it surfs on its own tail in midair-- awesome!). After those three, I shuffled between Arcanine, Ninetails, Gyarados, and Dragonite, depending on who was needed more in a given situation, and what other Pokemon I was training.

Now that I've just about finished with this game, I might get either Alpha Sapphire or Omega Ruby next. I haven't played the remakes of those two versions, so I'm pretty excited to check it out.
- Sachi

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:13 pm

I wish Nintendo and Game Freak would release an HD remaster of the Johto era (Gold, Silver, Crystal). That was my favorite era of Pokemon back when I was really into it as a kid.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”