Official Pokémon Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Official Pokémon Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I wish Nintendo and Game Freak would release an HD remaster of the Johto era (Gold, Silver, Crystal). That was my favorite era of Pokemon back when I was really into it as a kid.

You mean like HeartGold and SoulSilver? Or do you mean a port like with what they recently did with Yellow on the 3DS?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 pm

I would like a 3DS update of Pokemon Crystal. . . But if they won't do an update I wouldn't mind a port.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I would like a 3DS update of Pokemon Crystal. . . But if they won't do an update I wouldn't mind a port.

What's wrong with HeartGold/SoulSilver? They're playable on the 3DS and I'm pretty sure they have all the features that made Crystal unique from the original Gold/Silver, plus all the new features they added for the remake.

If the first generation ports are anything to go by, they may do the other generations as well. Yellow was hugely successful, so an unaltered port of Crystal may not be too far down the line.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Tomorrow, June 6th, there is an 8-minute Nintendo Direct dedicated to Pokemon. Place your bets now on what will be announced.

I want D/P/P remakes or a non-mainline series 3D game on switch.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Give us Pokemon Stars for the Switch!
- Sachi

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:00 pm

What I want most is a new mainline Pokemon game developed for the Switch. Doesn't necessarily have to be Stars, I understand some people want that to be on New 3DS with Sun and Moon, but just announce that the next gen Pokemon games are being developed for the Switch. I would buy a Switch just for that.

Either that, or a Yellow remake. It still baffles me that they didn't remake Yellow on the GBA with FR/LG. IMO, Yellow was the best gen 1 game and is still one of the most unique mainline games in the series.
[Redacted]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 am

And we're getting Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon. Not Stars, but close enough. Same region, new storyline.
- Sachi

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 am

Ughh, what a lame announcement :facepalm:

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is basically Black2/White2.
Pokken Tournament Deluxe is just a port with one new character.

I guess the good news is that these are basically guaranteed to be the final Pokemon 3DS games, Gen 8 will definitely be on the Switch.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:47 am

Pokken Tournament DX for the Switch... Nintendo, this is not the Switch Pokemon game I was hoping for. Oh well, not going to complain about an enhanced version with added content.

Guess now I'll wait for Ultra Sun instead of getting regular Sun, since it sounds like this will be a retelling of Sun/Moon with additional content instead of a sequel. But man, Ultra Solgaleo looks cool! It does seem really soon for them to release a super version like this, though. Weren't the originals just released last fall/winter?
[Redacted]

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:18 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Guess now I'll wait for Ultra Sun instead of getting regular Sun, since it sounds like this will be a retelling of Sun/Moon with additional content instead of a sequel. But man, Ultra Solgaleo looks cool! It does seem really soon for them to release a super version like this, though. Weren't the originals just released last fall/winter?

You might be right, they would've added "2" if these were sequels taking place in the future. I guess these games are the "emerald version" just split into two games to make more money.

And yes, it is rather quick for the "third" version to be out just a year later - however there are possible explanations:

1) The 3DS is basically on its last breath. They needed to push these final games out so that Gen 8 can start on new hardware.
2) Pokemon is growing, making more money, generating more fans. As such, their development team is growing larger in the company = quicker development times.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 pm

I've actually never seen such a negative reaction towards new Pokemon games. It seems half the people are angry it isn't on the switch and the other half are angry they revisited Alola (which is most people's least favorite region, and I have to agree).

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:50 pm

I don't get the hate for Alola. It's probably my favorite region since Kanto and Johto.

Speaking of Johto, the original Silver and Gold have been announced for the 3DS virtual console, just like the original first gen games were a while back.
- Sachi

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:22 am

So, my roommate is a total Pokémon fanatic. Seriously, they know all sorts of stuff and have played every gen multiple times and tells me about super Meta things all the time. I enjoy Pokémon but no where near that. In fact for Sun, I only played a little of the intro and promptly put it down. It wasn't on purpose it just kind of got overshadowed by other games. Anyways with the announcement of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon I decided I should try it again. I just beat the first challenge yesterday and it's pretty fun but gosh is everything super long winded. Seriously, after picking up the Z-Stone did I really need to be told three times how to use one? I realize this is the start of the game but I hope they realize I know what I'm doing soon enough. I'm really only attached to two pokemon in my team so far, my darling Brionne and Grimer. I'm looking forward to getting that Jinmen looking Tortunator pokemon hope he shows up soon.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:41 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:I don't get the hate for Alola. It's probably my favorite region since Kanto and Johto.

Idk man, there are many things to be picky at:

-Poor character customization
-Main character having that generic facial expression throughout the game, even serious moments
-Too much handholding
-The game is very slow and laggy
-The removal of the awesome PSS from 6th gen in favor of the stupid plaza thing
-The continuously broken exp-share making the game too easy (but I know you can turn it off)
-The ruined fishing mechanic
-The removal of bikes
-Trials are inferior to gyms
-The lacking post game (battle tree is super underwhelming)
-The removal of super training
-No real rivals
-And overall small routes

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:58 pm

There are definitely things to be picky about, but most those things didn't bother me. The character customization seemed fine to me; my character was looking super fly with his yellow sunglasses. The hand holding stopped after the first island, and it makes sense to have for beginners. I really liked the ride Pokemon in place of bikes and stuff, as well as the fishing. I thought the trials were neat, and the ultrabeast post-game was plenty.

I think they took a huge risk shaking up the traditional formula they way they did, and I appreciate that. I love the abundance of first gen Pokemon, as well as the Alolan forms. The environment was really enjoyable as well. I really obsessed over the game when it came out until I'd caught everything.
- Sachi

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Stan wrote:Idk man, there are many things to be picky at:

-Poor character customization
-Main character having that generic facial expression throughout the game, even serious moments
-Too much handholding
-The game is very slow and laggy
-The removal of the awesome PSS from 6th gen in favor of the stupid plaza thing
-The continuously broken exp-share making the game too easy (but I know you can turn it off)
-The ruined fishing mechanic
-The removal of bikes
-Trials are inferior to gyms
-The lacking post game (battle tree is super underwhelming)
-The removal of super training
-No real rivals
-And overall small routes

You also forgot the removal of the National Dex.

But overall, I agree, the games were underwhelming at best (at least to me) and I'm guessing Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will try to fix some of the stuff they left out (or simply fucked up like removing gyms...), most likely the Pokedex will get revamped, and maybe a map overhaul as well (kami willing). I did like that they at least tried to change things up, but for me, it just felt like it lacked something.

And is it too much to ask for if they just do a game that takes you through every region in existence and you choose where you start, and the game adjusts itself based on that. Call them Pokemon World Journey, with three versions Crimson, Citrine, and Cobalt. And they could make a Pokemon Amber to be the "special edition" of sorts.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I've actually never seen such a negative reaction towards new Pokemon games. It seems half the people are angry it isn't on the switch and the other half are angry they revisited Alola (which is most people's least favorite region, and I have to agree).

I actually like Alola, if for no other reason than that it has one of my favorite Pokemon (Rowlet) in it.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 am

I had worried that the announcement might be about new Diamond and Pearl games ... and although I am glad that isn't that case and that the games they've announced are actually set in Alola again, I am also hesitant about some details.

- I do like the Alola region, and I do like the new spin on the player's progression through the adventure, although I worry that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon might provide a similar adventure but through the same places in the same order. As a point of interest, in Black 2 & White 2, the player starts in an new town, and their progression through pre-existing Black & White locales was shuffled around so as to provide an altogether new adventure (and those locales were also updated to show the passage of time from the preceding games, as well as the effects of the endings of those games). I got the impression from the trailer that Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are going to present the same starting house Akala Island, and if that's the case, I do hope it goes in a different direction from that point as I feel there's more potential/opportunity in that than there would be in going through the towns and Islands in the same order again.

- I do like the Alolan starters (Rowlet/Litten/Popplio, though being asked to pick from them again - and so soon - is a little to close to the situation we were all in with Black 2 & White 2, where we were asked to pick from the Unova starters again. I actually would've liked to pick from different starters - say the Sinnoh starters, only with their own new exclusive Z-moves, or I daresay their own Alolan forms - as this fits with what I've already described above about a fresh adventure in a location we're already familiar with. I would add that including a different set of starters would offer a compelling reason for people to continue playing (or purchasing) Sun & Moon as those would in theory be the only games to feature the Alolan starters.

- Necrozma is the last note of Sun & Moon - it makes sense that these new (and I have to pause as I say 'new', as that word has a variable meaning wherever Pokemon games are concerned) games are going to delve into it more and, I assume, better develop its up-til-now inferred association with Solgaleo and Lunala. I'd also like for some sort of explanation as why Necrozma is a Psychic-type, instead of, say, Dark-type. The thing is practically pitch-black (apart from the Dark Side of the Moon album cover prism gig it's got going on), and that's normally how Game Freak designs Dark-type Pokemon ... it's Psychic-type probably something to do with the Solgaleo and Lunala family line, though (that, and the leftover acid from 1973).

- It isn't set in Kanto. This may appear out of left field to some, though personally this is one of the biggest points of the ending of Sun & Moon's main storyline: Lillie had gone away to Kanto, and it had been implied that whilst there she would learn to become a Pokemon trainer. There's also the tidbit that Lusamine went there to 'get better', but that's a small piece beside the big puzzle about what happens to Lillie in Kanto. And how has Kanto grown in all of the years since HeartGold & SoulSilver? Are any of the old Gym leaders still around and going at it? Do any of the Pokemon introduced in Unova, Kalos, or Alola have different forms in Kanto? Then there's version compatibility: a pair of games set in Kanto offers players an opportunity to acquire a regular Marowak, regular Grimer/Muk, and evolve regular Raichu and regular Exeggutor, among others. Overall it's an idea I've been deeply attracted to, even though it's a location that's already been host to several games.

- The business of the Ultra Wormholes. It's been suggested ... somewhere ... that Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are perhaps alternative stories set in the some place. And this makes me think of the Ultra Beast missions in Sun & Moon, which some people have interpreted as inferring an alternate Pokemon universe - or parallel Pokemon universe. This already sounds wild, but my mind takes that another step and says "If this something along the lines of Fringe's dual universes in Pokemon, that's got to be good". And then I get ideas - about one universe in which Lusamine is a crazy lady and Necrozma just floats around in the grass; and another universe in which Lusamine is likely sane but in which Necrozma hijacks Solgaleo or Lunala's body and says: "You can have any color you like as long as it's black".

I think I spent a little too long writing this so I think I'll come back again soon and address some of other things that I'd like to see included in or improved.
Voluntary Illusion.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:30 am

What are everyone's favorite Generations? Let's say top 3?
Doing this so everyone can see how I judge games. Maybe I just have my personal criteria that not all Generations meet. So for me these are my best Gens:

Gen 3 - I liked R/S/E, maybe it's because Ruby was my first Pokemon game. I actually knew about older games since the start but my parents had the mentality that video games are bad for children's brains and I would only watch my classmates at school play R/B and G/S. But Ruby was my actual first Pokemon game I owned. I think the overall 30h story, fast combat, and medium difficulty just made the game perfect for me. It's in my opinion the perfect length and density of content for a Pokemon adventure.

Gen 4 - D/P/P were the games I definitely spent the most time with. The charming graphics, good music, diverse landscapes and overabundance of features is what makes Gen 4 very strong. However, the slow battles and many useless side features that I never used made the game a little bit of a chore. It was the villain's motive, classy champion, challenging game difficulty, and story length/pacing that made it a good generation for me.

Gen 2 - Didn't play Gen 2 until HG/SS. I watched friends play Crystal in elementary school, but never had a gameboy. And I never went back to playing the games before Ruby/Sapphire. But Soul Silver was a 4th gen game, and I loved that gen, so I tried it. It was good. You get 2 regions... ehhh, 1.5 regions! Lots of battles, lots of gyms, strong rival and elite four, and the Pokemon following you feature. It was the perfect mix of adventure and challenge.

Gen 1 (fire red) felt inferior to Gen 2.
Gen 5 was too much for the DS, those graphics and messy cities didn't do it for me. Also the Pokeball shaped region was boring and new Pokemon had lots of strange designs.
Gen 6 was alright, but too easy and lacking in content. Best part was honestly the PSS for online.
Gen 7 is a watered down version of 6 (with removed features) and again, too much for the 3DS to handle - it barely runs. Also, the disjointed region felt weird again.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:44 pm

My Top 3:

Gen 5: This was the first game that really felt fresh to me. Many of the villains were more three-dimensional than normal (and even the ones who weren't, like Ghetsis, were at least evil in a cool way), the setting was completely new, there were no Pokemon from older games. It basically served as a functional reset button for the entire franchise.

Gen 7: Like Gen 5, an successful attempt to do something new in the context of the series. The antagonists were new and unexpected, the Ultra Beasts added a new aspect to the world of the franchise, and the designs of the Pokemon themselves were some of the best ever. Not to mention the entirely new format of gameplay, which was a relief after so much of the same.

Gen 1: The classic. No frills, but now that I've finally played it I can safely say that it deserved every bit of hype it got. However, the plot was very bare-bones, and many of the Pokemon designs were pretty boring compared to what would come later.

The rest:
Gen 2: Barely counts as a generation, really more of an expansion of Gen 1. Some neat designs and new types, but no real new storyline to speak of (Team Rocket are still the villains, what more can you do with them). I do like the rival, though.
Gen 3: The idea of playing on the villain's team in one game but the hero's team in the other was cool, but poorly implemented. Sapphire was my first Pokemon game, but it hasn't held up well compared to the others I've played since.
Gen 4: Not many memorable Pokemon, and too many ugly and unnecessary evolutions. Team Galactic is basically Team Rocket 2.0
Gen 6: Generic starters, generic villains, generic legendaries. Yawn.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”