Evangelion manga "day before Q" what can we expect in that manga.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The18°angel
Lilith

Evangelion manga "day before Q" what can we expect in that manga.

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:56 am

It looks like they are going to release a manga that will show the events of the day before WILLE retrieves Unit 01 from the space they think we will see in the manga.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Evangelion manga "day before Q" what can we expect in that manga.

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:28 am

Would be helpful to add a link to the source of this info.
Après moi le déluge!

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:33 am

It's here: https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news/210607-2/

Also, the manga is described as a "prequel" (前日譚 zenjitsutan) of Q. There is not much information about the history. You might check this thread for some more details.

I believe we will have a few more little details about the 14 years, in addition to the preparations for Operation US. I would also like to know better why EVA-01 was launched into outer space.
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:34 am

Here are the sources:

https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news/210607-2/

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:12 pm

This could be anything from major timeskip facts to a brief deleted scene of Mari & Asuka being shot into space full of rocket nerdery
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 pm

I'm expecting the latter; I seem to have also heard something to the effect that it will focus mainly on Wille.
I'd love to see the inbetween of Operation US and Shinji waking up, but I'm not holding my breath for it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Well, if indeed this manga takes place one day before the beginning of Q (aka operation US), I don't think that we'll get info on the events that happened soon after Ha, so assuming that the illustration of Asuka in an advanced plugsuit model is a canon illustration, what I think we could see is:
  • why does Asuka wears a patched up plugsuit in her scenes when by the time of Shin it's clear that they still can build many plugsuits. Could be that there was a technical reason (her advanced model can't sync well with the instruments in space), or a sentimental reason (it's her "lucky charm" plugsuit that she wears when she goes in a very dangerous mission), or maybe for a dumb reason (she tripped and ripped it :tongue: )
  • maybe the origin and significance of that cat-eared hat: from what we can infer in Shin, Asuka has a very Spartan way of life: she doesn't own any clothes even in Kensuke's house and don't borrow any from Village-3, and assuming that Mari didn't throw away Asuka's stuff from her room (that would be plain assholish), we can infer that all of Asuka's belongings can be summed up as her plugsuit(s), her track jacket, her hat, and her Wonderswan and doll (which are in Kensuke's house, unless she has a second Wonderswan in her room in the Wunder)
  • maybe we'll get a glimpse or other settlements or a WILLE base from which the Evas were launched (they can't had been launched from the Wunder's helipad!), maybe that will be their main base of operation?
  • maybe a couple of interactions between the characters (something for Mari perhaps, just to flesh her out a little?)

But I don't expect much, after all this will be a 36 pages long bonus booklet, and we don't know how much of those the manga will take and how much will be the extra illustrations and maybe interviews.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:34 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:[*] maybe we'll get a glimpse or other settlements or a WILLE base from which the Evas were launched (they can't had been launched from the Wunder's helipad!), maybe that will be their main base of operation?

This is what I'm hopping for - and maybe more interaction between Mari and Nagara.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:13 pm

The manga is titled Evangelion 3.0 (-120min.), which could be implying it takes place a mere two hours before the beginning of the film. It's a short amount of time, but who knows what they'll manage to cram in? And they could always employ a page of flashbacks and exposition if they really need to jam information in there.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:50 am

Another good idea might be to have the two pilots WILLE pilots talk with Misato, cause i feel that could use more exploration - maybe first coldly discussing the mission but also getting in some character beats -
Maybe Asuka musing about how Misato changed, or Misato sternly reminding Mari to follow the mission, or a very awkward, "do you think there's anything of him left in there?"

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:46 pm

One of the most striking aspects of this to me is that this is the first canon piece of the Rebuild story in a medium other than animation. Makes me wonder if this will continue in some way shape or form.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:15 am

It's not unheard of. If you've ever played Nier: Replicant/Gestalt or Nier: Automata, Yoko Taro has infamously produced manga, novelizations, and honest-to-god stage plays that all contain canonical information to the universe in which these games take place. Evangelion has never gone that route in the past, considering that the manga and TV series weren't congruent to one another (and one could argue that the CI from the PS2 game is only applicable to the world of the game itself, not the television series.)

But if this is a new direction that Khara takes the series, where Evangelion information spans mediums, I will be curious to see if we ever get more. I just hope it's all eventually officially available in English. So many anime/manga tie-ins are locked behind Japanese-only novelizations and drama CDs where fans are lucky to get their hands on amateur-translated MTL gobbledygook, to say nothing of any kind of officially-sanctioned release.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:22 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It's not unheard of. If you've ever played Nier: Replicant/Gestalt or Nier: Automata, Yoko Taro has infamously produced manga, novelizations, and honest-to-god stage plays that all contain canonical information to the universe in which these games take place.

Yeah, but Yoko Taro is on a category on his own, he plays by his own rules, like did you know that in Drakengard 3
Drakengard 3 endings  SPOILER: Show
none of the endings actually leads to the events of Drakengard 1? The branch that looks like it does (branch A) actually leads to a similar but ultimately different timeline that he dubbed "Drakengard 1.3" for which he made a manga and several light novels... then released another light novel with the actual events (called "Branch E") leading to the timeline of Drakengard 1.

That dude is on a whole other level!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Steins;Gate also has a novelization, multiple spin-off games, and drama CDs, all of which reveal events that happened on other world lines or flesh out the events of the games. The novelization has no English translation, the spin-off games had no translations for nearly a decade and then when they were released were only available as part of a larger bundle, and the drama CDs again have no English translation. (Which is a shame, there are so many English-speaking fans who will never hear Yandere Kurisu as she forcefully recalibrates your brain...)

Yoko Taro is special, true! But there are plenty of other Japanese properties that have extended canon media universes as well. Drama CDs are probably the most prevalent format, there were loads of shows that came out in the late 00's/early 10's that had drama CDs sold in Japan that people outside the country rarely heard about. (A drama CD is like a radio play, it's just the VAs talking in-character in various scenarios.)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:39 pm

I'm really liking what I'm seeing! Some very wholesome art!

Manga  SPOILER: Show

Illustrations  SPOILER: Show

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7400363835?sh ... 2D216A53D9

Do we have/need a specific thread for the 3.0+1.01 changes?
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I'm really liking what I'm seeing! Some very wholesome art!

SPOILER: Show

Do we have/need a specific thread for the 3.0+1.01 changes?

Oh wow! that looks great! There must not be much to the plot of the manga, but the art itself looks very nice.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 pm

You are crazy, you crazy person!

(I edited it)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:49 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:You are crazy, you crazy person!

(I edited it)

I edited mine too haha
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Richitzer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Richitzer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Attempted to translate the 16 pages. Couple of lines could be better but the idea is decently there.

[Pacific line 0-degree point]
[Wille Sea Launch Double Decouple System "Might K (King)"]
[Wille Sea Launch Double Decouple System "Might Q (Queen)"]
[Fixed at the planned position of the offshore launch pad. No problem with wind speed and wave height.]
[30 minutes elapsed. Resume countdown.]
[Start filling propellant]
[Pod-2 (equipped with Evangelion Unit 02 Improved)]
[Large composite rocket for mass orbit insertion "Doppelganger No. 2"]
[Mighty Q: Bridge Deck]
“In the night of Nubatama, in becoming the moon, I will meet my sister…” [1]
“…at home.”
M: Princess Asuka
the moon is beautiful tonight nya.
A: You reading books again?
(Book title: You Too Can Write Sci-fi!) (Thanks, Roto)
A: It's time to go to the other ship!
M: Learning is always necessary.
A: ...tsk why
a uniform!?
M: Unlike the princess, I only met him once.
I have to look the same as that time.
Maybe you can remember?
A: That guy... is gone.
Ritsuko said that he melted and disappeared in LCL after he nearly destroyed the world.
The purpose of this operation is to recapture and recover the first unit.
M: If you could meet again, what would you do?
It’s been 14 years. Will you kiss him awake?
A: I'll wallop him!
M: A very emotional development, nya (kms) (also emotional could be ‘heartfelt’ or ‘exciting’)
Ah, youth.
A: That's funny.
I can’t believe I’m coming of age in this cursed body.
M: -Hime
We are.
I think we're living a much longer spring (prime of life) than the Lilin and the others, nya (kms).
M: In Misato's US operation plan, Unit 08 in good condition was the avant-garde (vanguard) and recovery role and Unit 02 improved was the supporting role.
Let's change to Plan B!
Let's do it together, Princess!
A two-person collection op.
A: Huh?
M: That will make Puppy Boy happy, too!
A: ...like I said, I don't have Stupid Shinji anymore.
[Roger. After the transfer is completed, begin the final launch sequence.]
[Transfer the Unit 08 Pilot to MK] (Might King)
[T-Minus 30 minutes, start filling fuel to 100%.]
[No harm to Launch Trajectory Blue]
M: That... is?
Princess...
It’s that plug suit.
A: 4-eye crony...
I’m going to do it too...
M: I suspected as much.
A: Don’t take this too hard, but I’m not leaving you in charge.
M (singing): The way you go is endlessly far~! (I did not try hard to translate any of the lyrics properly at all, still.)
[T minus 10]
[T minus 7]
[T minus 6]
M (singing): But why do you bite your teeth~.
Do you go so much~
A: Just stop singing!! It's annoying!
M: It’s a heart-to-heart song~.
[IMU flight mode on]
[Main engine start]
[SRB ignition. Lift off]
[Unit 02 solid rocket booster. No abnormality in combustion.]
[Scheduled contact time is 900 seconds later]
(no text, just Rei doing a stare.)

Notes:
[1] This is someone else’s translation. seems to be a reference to this poem that reads something to the effect of: “If I were the moon across the night sky, I could go see my loved one at home.”
Also peeked at rotoscopic’s translation and it’s pretty good: “Were I the moon to cross the dusk, the wine dark inky night, could I then travel homeward bound...and meet you once again?”
http://seikatudesign.sakura.ne.jp/waka/ ... %E5%A6%B9/

Edited as of 03:54 EDT. Didn't feel logging the changes but I can if someone asks. Feel pretty solid about this. Mostly unlocalised.
Last edited by Richitzer on Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 pm

Well, that confirms that Shinji was very much presumed dead - only Mari expected him back.

So Asuka had a suit just like Mari's, she just patched up the old one, because... sentimentality? Or so the passage of time wouldn't immediately be obvious if Shinji saw them (I guess Misato assumed he wouldn't recognize her) Probably sentimentality.

Apparently, if you confess anything to Mari in a moment of weakness she will tease you endlessly.

It makes for an interesting contrast how she's way less bothered/ fairly optimistic about what has befallen them (which also explains why she doesn't emerge all big from the sea at the end, she doesn't mind to just wait to get older naturally.

They clearly refer to each other (Mari included) as not being Lilin

It's worth noting that Asuka's flashback of Shinji also includes a younger Misato in the background.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”