Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:37 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I'm assuming most of the regulars on this thread have finished BB, probably more than once, so I'm wondering what you guys think about the difficulty level. About the same as the Souls games? Easier? Harder?

I found the game to be easier than previous ones, though, I'm a veteran souls player, so it's not a surprise that I didn't have much trouble with the game.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:26 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I'm pretty late to the party, but I just started Bloodborne and realized how rusty I've gotten. It's been months since I played DSII.

I couldn't get past the Cleric Beast, so I went for Father Gascoigne instead. The result was no different so I just quit. Well, I only fought him once, but my patience had already been depleted by then. I'll get back to the game when I'm no longer in the mood to smash my TV.

Also, based on what little of the game I've seen so far, I'd say that I prefer the aesthetics of the Souls games over that of Bloodborne. By far. But, like I said, I'm stuck in what is pretty much the first real stage of the game so I might change my mind.

I'm assuming most of the regulars on this thread have finished BB, probably more than once, so I'm wondering what you guys think about the difficulty level. About the same as the Souls games? Easier? Harder?

I've yet to play BB because I need a PS4, but from what I've heard the main difficulty people seem to have in adjusting to the game is that you can't play it the same way you'd normally play a Souls game (cautious, looking to exploit openings, learning the enemy's moveset before attacking). BB seems to encourage being reckless and smacking stuff back rather than retreating (since it's the only reliable way to heal now) so perhaps it would be better to adopt a more aggressive strategy instead of playing it like a Souls game.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:46 pm

I've had Bloodborne for a while, but I hadn't really given it a chance until just recently. The more I get the hang of it, the more fun it becomes, although I'm make very little progress as I go along. Too often will I spend a good thirty minutes doing well, only to die in a stupid way and then lose all that progress when I fail to retrieve my blood echoes, which is frustrating as hell, but there's also a huge sense of accomplishment in just taking down a few enemies so I don't mind it too much.

Also, I'm pretty sure the man with the bird mask was a NPC, and I mistakenly attacked him. Now he won't get off my case. :lol:

I have Dark Souls as well, and I've invested a couple hours into it, but never got too far past the dragon on the bridge. Playing Bloodborne is really making me want make the trip to my dad's place just to recover my Xbox 360 though.

Now that I've nearly exhausted my fascination with Arkham Knight, I'll probably be making Bloodborne my main game for a while, with THPS5 as my casual game once it comes out tomorrow night.
Last edited by Sachi on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Funnily enough eileen has a whole sidequest you now missed because you attacked her along with one of the best weapons in the game for pvp.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Funnily enough eileen has a whole sidequest you now missed because you attacked her along with one of the best weapons in the game for pvp.

I suppose I haven't advanced far enough yet that it's probably not too late to simply start over. It's amazing to think about how little I've gotten done with how much I've been playing. I wasn't even able to level up my stats until I encountered a boss and the doll in the hunter's dream finally woke up.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Probably a good idea, also i present you all the worst thing ever, scholar of the dank meme:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjDpIItmNtY&list=PLEy3osRzEIARMoy5shHR20wSxn8IOIPLt[/url]
Its only made tolerable in the beginning by the jojo music, seriously this shit hurt my eyes.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:57 am

Got back to BB and finally killed the Cleric Beast. On my previous attempts, my Souls game instincts had kicked in and I immediately went for what would be the most obvious strategy: stay close and stick to its behind. Changed up my play style and did a lot more dodging and moving across the boss arena and got him on the second try. Headed over to Father Gascoigne and did okay until he transformed into a werewolf and ripped me apart. That's as far as I got during the session, but I didn't really quit out of frustration. Just had had enough for the day.

I miss having a shield. They probably wouldn't be of much use in the BB universe though.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:22 am

^You can get a shield, but the gameplay isn't really suited for that and the game does seem to subtly bash (heehee) shield users and shield-wielding enemies.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:32 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I miss having a shield. They probably wouldn't be of much use in the BB universe though.

The dlc will have at least one new shield.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:22 pm

"A crude wooden shield used by the masses who have arisen to join the hunt.
Hunters do not normally employ shields, ineffectual against the strength of the beasts as they tend to be.
Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity."

:lol:

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:40 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I'm assuming most of the regulars on this thread have finished BB, probably more than once, so I'm wondering what you guys think about the difficulty level. About the same as the Souls games? Easier? Harder?

Bloodborne was harder for me, which is odd, considering it rewards my usual playstyle moreso than Souls did. Dark Souls 1 was difficult, but i adapted much more quickly. Dark Souls 2 is weird. The class system is broken, making the game really easy for ranged characters and outright frustrating for melee. Then again, Dark Souls 2 used so many clashing elements that are utterly ridiculous. It jumps back and forth between rewarding and punishing bravery (overpowered items you can only get through recklessness and a max health penalty for dying? That's very indecisive design.), and uses a combat system reminiscent of Dark Souls 1, yet has an enemy placement that makes more sense for Bloodborne-type combat. Because of this, it's hard to definitively rank the game's difficulty.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:35 am

Dark Souls 3 Stress Test Menu Music

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3e1ERQWQI[/url]

Soon the beta will roll out and we learn some new info.

I have a positive feeling for this game. After all it can't be worse than Dark Souls 2. Because if it is, FROM will have to give the franchise a big rest. Nobody can handle two main games with negative/mixed reception.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:54 am

DS3 network test is on 16th of October (Japanese /North American players only), you need to get a beta key somewhere to play it ofc.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Bloodborne Game of the Year Edition announced for Europe. It will come out on November 25th and will include the Old Hunters expansion.

This is what i was expecting, long before the release of Bloodborne vanilla. The pattern is predictable now so i prefer waiting some months for the full experience. I will do the same with Dark Souls 3.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Taken from Bloodborne sub reddit:

SPOILER: Show

[url]http://i.imgur.com/ucIPpWF.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i.imgur.com/I6aIz29.jpg[/url]

Federation's Cane / 連盟の杖(Renmai no tsue)
"Federation's Cane.
This cane is proof that you are a Federation member.
Roster is hidden inside grip of cane.
Federation members to confirm the same members by raise the cane.
Others do not understand a bloody mission.
Oath is required for fantasy.

Federation hunters have a mission. If you have joined the Federation, you can call NPC hunters. They are waiting at somewhere other than DLC area.
If you achieve the objectives as cooperator, you will get the Insect of reward. The number of Insect that you have crushed will be described in the roster. Federation is not DLC (New covenant?). It applies in the next update, but date is undecided."

Also, new weapon:
[url]http://i.imgur.com/rYOZGPR.jpg[/url]
Moonlight holy blade a.k.a Moonlight greatsword.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Seems like Dark Souls 3 will get a Collector's and Prestige edtions (at least in Europe) if we should believe a leak from an UAE retailer.

[url]http://gematsu.com/2015/11/dark-souls-iii-collectors-prestige-editions-leaked-europe[/url]

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:36 am

Finished Bloodborne dlc:

Research hall was my favorite level, because it reminded me of tower of latria (Which is the best area in Demon's souls imo.)

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Fuck. I still need to beat Bloodborne. Been caught up with other stuff.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Miyazaki said that Dark Souls 3 will be the final game for the ''Souls'' franchise.

"I don't think it'd be the right choice to continue indefinitely creating Souls and Bloodborne games. I'm considering Dark Souls 3 to be the big closure on the series"

From what he says it seems that there will be at least one more Bloodborne game, maybe a trilogy but it's clear that FROM wants to try new things. Whatever he does next i won't be surprised if their next big IP will look and play similar to a Souls game.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:17 am

Fuck the last boss of the dlc and fuck the optional boss, I'm underleveled yes so they take a long time to die but The damage is just ridiculous, clerics 2.0 kills me in one hit when he is enraged

EDIT:
After 3 days of trying I beat both
Laurence and the Orphan of Kos
in bloodborne.
This took forever but im finally done, OoK was fun enough and challenging but fire bro is just........He is the first souls boss besides bed of chaos I would actually call badly designed.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”