Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 am

^That is more understandable. Although, I can't really imagine Dark Souls without backstabs; that would be a bit too much like Bloodborne.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Bandai Namco said that this is the last DkS game but Miyazaki said it won't be the last.

Maybe Bandai Namco meant it in their own way cause the contract they signed was for three games (trilogy)?

With FROM owned by Kadokawa (big Japanese multimedia company) maybe they will publish the games alone from now on.

Dark Souls was the first and only game that FROM published themselves in Japan and it was a PS3 exclusive.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:39 pm

^Miyazaki said the game will be a 'turning point', so at the very least it could mean a break in the cycle and the end of the Souls games as we know them, and the next iteration will be something different.

And I'm nothing like you

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:57 am

Either the story of Dark Souls III is going to get a lot better or a lot worse. The idea of fighting Gywn again is petty exciting, but I don't really know what From Software means by "Lords of Cinder".

Also I got two more trophies in BB, so I finally got the beast claws and in a stroke of luck got a high level blood gem on the same floor as the claws. So now I have three trophies left not including the platinum. I need to get the ending two other endings that has you fight Gehrman and get captured by the Moon's Presence, and I need to kill the Moon's Presence. Then I also need to get the one where I need to kill Yharnam the Queen of queenly-ness. So I looked up how to kill her, and I now know for sure that is the hardest trophy to get by far. For those of you that want to know you have to basically go throw 8 different chalice dungeons and clear out the bosses. On the 8th one should be the one with the queen, but you need to go thru the first 7 because you need to get the Great Pthumeru Ihyll or you need to get the materials in order to open that dungeon. Also worth to note that only the first 3 which are the Pthumeru ---> Central Pthumeru -----> Lower Pthumeru are on depths 1-3 and the rest are on 4 or 5 with the queen being on 5.

So as I just listed one of the many steps to get towards the goal of Platinum, I must ask.... has anyone on here gotten this?
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:32 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Either the story of Dark Souls III is going to get a lot better or a lot worse. The idea of fighting Gywn again is petty exciting, but I don't really know what From Software means by "Lords of Cinder".

The current theory seems to be that you'll be fighting previous kings of Lordran/Drangleic/Whatever, which could even extend to the PCs of DSI and DSII. Possibly the First Flame is finally dying its final death, or has been somehow exhausted by the countless cycles between the games (hence the withered beauty of the setting and how it looks even bleaker than the other two titles).

Then again, I'm hoping they subvert our expectations in some way. Remember when we thought Bloodborne would be all about werewolves?

And I'm nothing like you

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 am

According to a person who attended the behind closed doors demo, Dark Souls 3 started development one year before the release of Dark Souls 2.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:25 pm

^That's old news by now. Vaati said the same thing and I'm pretty sure I read about it in a few write-ups on vidya news sites, too.

And I'm nothing like you

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:41 pm

I didn't see it reported here so i thought i should mention it. Sorry if it bothered you. Usually when i read something interesting i try it to share it with the community instead of keeping it for myself and wait to see it posted from an other member and say "old news dude ".

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:47 am

VaatiVidya: Patreon-supported plagiarist?

A video definitely worth watching.

There's also pretty good discussion about this in Bloodborne subreddit: [url]https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3cgirw/vaatividya_patreonsupported_plagiarist_an/[/url]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:39 pm

^I actually saw/commented on dcmredgrave's thread about the similarities between the PBH essay and Vaati's video before the thread was removed, so I'm not really surprised that it's a trick Vaati's pulled before.

Funny thing is, IIRC before the thread was pulled down dcmredgrave claimed he had got in contact with Vaati and they were going to settle it somehow but nothing public came of that.

I can't really blame Vaati for trying to make money off his videos, but I do agree that he should at least give proper credit for his sources; it's not really proper for Vaati to get credit and respect for stating what someone else has already said in a sexy voice.

Also, here's Vaati's response.

And I'm nothing like you

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:25 am

The similarities are pretty easily chalked up to a similar style and coincidence, once Vaati's statements are taken into account.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:27 am

^The main criticism most people seem to be aiming at Vaati now are the PBH similarities, which aren't really addressed in his statement other than 'I only read a third of the essay'.

I don't really know which side to lean towards here, but this is going to negatively affect Vaati's public image for at least until the Souls community moves on, perhaps even longer.

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:57 am

Being on vacation for my cousin's wedding in Oregon has made visiting the site a lower priority than normal and often difficult, but I just had to stop by to post this little bit.

I posted months ago about having trouble with the Old Chaos and the Burnt Ivory King. I never posted again about it, not because I wasn't playing but because there was nothing new to report on that front -- I'd been working on that same boss fight ever since. Not consistently -- I had plenty of weeks-long breaks -- but I think I would find the number of hours spent making runs at those damned knights and their damned king appalling if I ever saw them totaled up.

Last night, I beat that fucker. It was almost unreal. And I did it on Covenant of Champions, without any phantom help, without magic (just using a melee build, starting armor + stone parma + Greatsword same as always), and I even beat him before he'd managed to kill my one last helper knight.

This has got to be the single most difficult achievement I've ever accomplished in my video gaming career. :lol: At least it feels like it, and this is probably the longest I've kept trying and trying at a single challenge in a video game before finally beating it without cheating. This fact is made even more hilarious by the fact that when I think about it, it's not like it was really even that hard -- when I finally won it was as a result of the most minimal changes in strategy. Neither individual fight was really all that hard -- it was having to do both in the same run that made the whole thing so damn difficult.

And now apparently the final boss of Brume Tower is supposed to be even harder. :| But we'll see -- maybe I bring strengths and weaknesses different from most players that will wind up making that boss easier to me than the Old Chaos gauntlet was. (I can hope, right?)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:01 am

Dark Souls 3 release date is now Spring 2016 (was early 2016 before).

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:40 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:*snip*

Tbh with all four knights on my side i find ivory king pretty freaking easy because while he is agressive his pattern is also reasonably simple, brume towers boss is impossible without 100% the place first though for certain reasons but post that he just is more a massive test of dodging and reacting skills.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:07 am

"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 am

Dark souls 3 gameplay trailer!

Combat is pretty similar to previous souls titles.

Also, I'm going to post huge DS2 "things you might have missed" lore post fairly soon.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:20 am

I am getting Bloodborne vibes.

It looks really good but i can't get hype for the graphics or the presentation after what happened with the Dark Souls 2 trailers.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 am

If it is on current Gen consoles I don't see why they can't keep the graphics the same. But you could be right and they very well down the graphics when we get it like DKS2.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:39 am

Off screen gameplay

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Lq_mNYy2k[/url]

There will be probably more, cause i read on twitter there is an embargo, so hopefully we will get direct feed footage soon.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”