Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:22 am

First DS3 boss (Dancer of the Frigid Valley):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2ahQU2WN0

VaatiVidya's breakdown of the demo's gameplay and a bit of lore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOlfuEcQsc
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:08 am

I love that literally all the comments on that video are shitting on DS2, wow people really have a hate boner for that game.

Anyway im a bit........meh? about this game as a whole.
Every souls game re-uses assets this is nothing new but almost everything im seeing here feels like i have seen it before, the ui, the mechanics, the way everything flows.
There are legit reasons to prefer the other souls games over DS2 (even if i disagree on that) but a lot of what im seeing seems to only be appealing to these fans BECAUSE its more like DS1 and tbh if i wanted to play DS1 i would play DS1, this game looks more and more like DLC for the first game the more info about it that comes out, while every games core mechanics have been the same the series as a whole has had changes between every souls game not just the different universes so this just being more of the same is kinda.........disappointing.

Anyway nevermind me im just giving my (badly written cause my written english structure sucks) thoughts, feel free to disagree with me.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 am

^I dunno, I was expecting it to be similar so I am seeing slight differences. After watching the Vaati video, at least, I can see that combat is slightly faster but still mostly reminiscent of DS1. We haven't seen much of the Stance system which is apparently the main difference; I think that the most differences could be found there but they aren't showing it off for some reason.

Aesthetically, while the style is similar to previous games I do think it's unique. Enemy hollows seem more skeletal than the starved peasants of DS1 and the green zombies of DS2. The architecture feels a bit more ruined and ashen than the areas of DS1 while also seeming more developed and stable than the areas of DS2. We have only seen one area, so this aesthetic may evolve over the course of the game.

I'm also interested in how the Epithet system will contribute to lore-gathering.

Overall to me it feels like a very different game from the last two, although aspects of DS1 are very apparent to compensate for some of the flaws in DS2.

And I'm nothing like you

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:14 am

So basically more ways DKS3 makes you go "nope" in front of any boss.

I need my hands on the game to really talk about it. I feel looking at trailers is a bit redundant because we still gotta wait. I know I never looked at any BB news until it came out.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Just finished Bloodborne. It was a blast, it has the most consistent level design since Demon Souls and many memorable bosses.
The story didn't interest me much since I don't really care about Lovecraft but some of the NPCs were great and this game had what might be the best final boss in the souls series.

Really looking foward to the DLC.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Obtuse Rhetoric
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Obtuse Rhetoric » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:43 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:The story didn't interest me much since I don't really care about Lovecraft but some of the NPCs were great and this game had what might be the best final boss in the souls series.

This is probably the first instance I've seen of someone not finding some sort of intrigue with the borderline-plagiarism Lovecraftian lore. I personally disagree, as I found it rather refreshing in contrast to rather standard eastern-influenced European medieval fare of the previous souls games. I'm with you on that final boss though, Ghermans OST (The Last Hunter is the title I believe) elevated it to Gwyn levels of emotion, which is impressive considering just how little his character is developed. It also helps that Gherman actually puts up a competent challenge, akin to Allant in DeS, where Gwyn fell short (arguably for thematic purposes though).
"Did you see that, Zach? Clear as a crisp spring morning. FK...in the coffee!" - York, DP
I am a cool kiddo ayyyy

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:33 am

Really looking forward to this game, I talked to sunlightblade a little bit (on Skype) after he got back from Germany, and saw his video and Peeve's as they were both at Gamescom together.

Also another neat tid-bit if anyone else follows SLB I can be herd in his video The Hardest Boss
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:09 am

Bloodborne is a bitch, there's actually enemies you can't stagger with your gun :(
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:45 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Bloodborne is a bitch, there's actually enemies you can't stagger with your gun :(

Am I the only one who played the entire game from start to finish with two-handed hunter axe? Never bothered with the visceral attack crap.
"Zip zop wop boopity bop." - Bill Cosby

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:18 am

Not really because it is known that that axe is op as shit in PvE.
Personally i go for a Blades of Mercy/Ludwig's Holy Blade whenever i play.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:11 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Bloodborne is a bitch, there's actually enemies you can't stagger with your gun :(

Fuck those Enemies.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Yeah, Amygdala is the toughest boss I've faced. I stick with the Kirkhammer and Moonlight Sword. I didn't know about the blood gems.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:06 pm

Amygdala is suppose to have that damage falloff in the beginning. It really does suck.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Anybody want to help me beat the Drunken daughter of the cosmos?

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:41 am

Bloodborne dlc: The old hunters TGS 2015 trailer: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuAIzd2aAZI[/url]

Release date 24th of November.

Hyped af.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:36 am

I finally bought SOFTS, only to discover that there is something seriously messed up with the in-game cutscenes. For some reason the game itself plays normally (I played up to the first boss and did a few 'kill everyone in the starting area' runs to test it out) but whenever an in-game movie plays, my lag shoots up through the ceiling. I actually got kicked from the game during a multiplayer session for this, as the major boss cutscenes seem to trigger it as well. I have no idea what's causing it, since running an in-game movie shouldn't take that much resources. (particularly the starting prologue, when nothing is going on in the background).

In-engine cutscenes like the three Fire Keepers during character customization work fine, it's just the pre-rendered FMVs that seem to cause problems.

And I'm nothing like you

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:22 am

Is The Old Hunters gonna get a retail release outside of Japan?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:44 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Is The Old Hunters gonna get a retail release outside of Japan?

Probably, I'm not 100% sure.

Few new things about DS3:
-There is a blue magic gauge similar to Demon's souls and you can use "Ash Estus flask" to restore MP

-Fast travel right from the start and soul vessel from DS2 are in DS3

Gameplay vids for:

DS3: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6QL1Nm2b5A[/url]

BB dlc: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qsgokKjKC8[/url] (Bad quality)

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm pretty late to the party, but I just started Bloodborne and realized how rusty I've gotten. It's been months since I played DSII.

I couldn't get past the Cleric Beast, so I went for Father Gascoigne instead. The result was no different so I just quit. Well, I only fought him once, but my patience had already been depleted by then. I'll get back to the game when I'm no longer in the mood to smash my TV.

Also, based on what little of the game I've seen so far, I'd say that I prefer the aesthetics of the Souls games over that of Bloodborne. By far. But, like I said, I'm stuck in what is pretty much the first real stage of the game so I might change my mind.

I'm assuming most of the regulars on this thread have finished BB, probably more than once, so I'm wondering what you guys think about the difficulty level. About the same as the Souls games? Easier? Harder?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:13 pm

I find it easier if only because my playstyle in the souls games was reckless as all hell to begin with and i dodged everything, in bloodborne that is to an extent rewarded more so i get more out of it.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”