Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:33 am

Finally got back into Skyrim (the original, not the special edition) after ages of neglect. Finally got past those sodding Werebears, through the cowardly but practical tactic of taking a different path round the mountain such that I don't have to face them at all. Common sense- it's an underappreciated video game skill.

...And upon beginning to climb the 7000 steps I realize I am horrendously under-leveled. The beasties in the way (which I can't avoid without cheating) keep tearing me apart. Seriously, if it weren't for Lydia I'd be even more screwed than I already am.

Well, time to level up before I make that climb I think.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:37 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Finally got back into Skyrim (the original, not the special edition) after ages of neglect. Finally got past those sodding Werebears, through the cowardly but practical tactic of taking a different path round the mountain such that I don't have to face them at all. Common sense- it's an underappreciated video game skill.

...And upon beginning to climb the 7000 steps I realize I am horrendously under-leveled. The beasties in the way (which I can't avoid without cheating) keep tearing me apart. Seriously, if it weren't for Lydia I'd be even more screwed than I already am.

Well, time to level up before I make that climb I think.

Aren't the Werebears only found on Solstheim?

I've never really had much difficulty climbing the mountain, although I've mostly only seen wolves and a single troll up there. To be fair, I usually do a fair number of side-quests before even starting on that one, so I might just be sufficiently levelled to take it on.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:41 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Aren't the Werebears only found on Solstheim?

I'm not actually sure where I found them. It was somewhere on the way to Ivarstead. Regardless, they were a royal pain in the arse.

I've never really had much difficulty climbing the mountain, although I've mostly only seen wolves and a single troll up there. To be fair, I usually do a fair number of side-quests before even starting on that one, so I might just be sufficiently levelled to take it on.

I got a Ferocious Ice Wolf, her cubs and a Sabre Cat. :cringe: I think I need to do some more leveling. Actually, I've been seeing lots of weirdly high-level enemies in this game...maybe it's a mod I have?

EDIT: A botched migration to Mod Organizer wiped my progress by mistake. Bugger. Oh well, I was only level 5.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:18 am

I just played six hours of Crusader Kings 2 with the Game of Thrones Mod.

This fucking happened.

I started from the Crowned Stag bookmark (right after the Rebellion) playing as Eddard.

My first goal was to reproduce, so I started popping out kids like mad. I got Catelyn pregnant nine times. By betrothing them off I married the Starks into every top tier noble family on the continent, sometimes more than once, except Dorne. I'll get to that later.

I need sleep since it's daylight soon but here are the highlights:

I found a dragon egg in the crypts of Winterfell and hatched it. After three attempts which left me scarred for life, the dragon Gravefyre became my mount. Eddard Stark of Winterfell hatched the first dragon since the Dance. The crazy bastard started popping out eggs, so my kids became dragon riders in turn. During this time Benjen formed a large and illustrious mercenary company.

I wanted peace, I really did, but I kept getting dragged into war. (When I say I wanted peace, I mean until I could raise enough support to press Daenerys' claim to the Iron Throne to restore the Targaryens and remove that fat bastard Robert who got my beloved sister killed) I somehow remained besties with Robert despite my frequent wars with him, usually sparked by his cottoning on to my fumbling attempts to murder him to advance my cause. (Eddard is not a master of intrigue)

Cat started hating me and I took a lover, so after she tried to kill me I had her killed by snakebite. Then, because she was unmarried... I wedded Daenerys Stormborn myself. She died in childbirth bringing my son into the world. I planned to press his claim to the Iron Throne but Robert's son Quentyn Baratheon tried to arrest me after I told him to fuck off when he demanded I stop plotting to overthrow him and stop raising factions to tear down the Iron Throne. I was imprisoned, but demanded a trial by combat, beat Quentyn's champion (wuss wouldn't fight me himself) and was set free.

Since I wanted better state intrigue (Eddard's sucks) I married a warlock from the house of the undying who was actually pretty cute. I had no kids with her, as planned. At this point I began focusing on my huge brood.

All the kids grew up. Since they married into the Vale, Trident, Reach, and Westerlands, I formed alliances with all those kingdoms. I was about to declare war to depose Quentyn anyway when our truce ended but he tried to imprison me again first. This started a chain reaction and the entire realm attacked him (the Dornish jumped in and the Stormlands stayed out of it) and he was deposed. I took control of the entire realm as Lord Protector until I settled a war of independence with the Iron Islands and quelled a bunch of rebellions.

After that was handled I had to call a great council (staying on as LP would mean increasing rebellion risk until even my allies would unite to overthrow me). I tried to have Jon installed (R+L=J had not been revealed, just as my legitimized bastard) but they picked Aegon VI instead.

Because of the way the game assigns names and titles, Westeros was briefly titled Essos.

Aegon was weak, having only a handful of troops and no support. I raised a faction and declared war to overthrow the monarch and succeded in a few months. The war was brief but utter chaos with everyone attacking everyone else as my allies all jumped in and maybe half their vassals supported the crown. When it was over...

I, Eddard Stark, established myself as the first Magister of the Republic of the Iron Throne. I started a revolution and overthrew the fucking monarchy in Westeros.

At this point I abdicated and took the black and left Robb to deal with this shit.

Eddard was kind of a dick. I fed a few people to a dragon, cheated on Cat, and destroyed Robert's dynasty although Quentyn's little brother still held the stormlands so it wasn't a total wipe for them.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:48 am

Corpse Party (on 3DS)
Reached 100% completion after one month and 26 hours playtime.
I’d give this a certified “Okay” rating. I became invested enough in the characters to see the story through to the end, but the gameplay was rarely enjoyable.
There’s nothing fun about wandering around levels simply praying for a story event to trigger. Adding a vengeful, red spirit to roam the halls here or there would have gone a long way; even though the spooky-ghost-chasing-you segments were fairly easy, they were nonetheless very menacing and tense.

That Ayumi... going completely bonkers at the start; being sane in the middle; dipping back into the crazy well (pool?) for tension; “snork”ing on someone else’s shirt, TWICE; going full-heel in the best wrong end… and all this on her period. Poor girl.

There were a lot of missing pages and some unexplored aspects of the story and setting (like what was the deal with that piano? Why even include it? Because it’s a horror trope that simply couldn’t be left out?), and I was a little disappointed by the true end, as well as the lack of any kind of reward for 100% completion.
On reflection however, the ending wasn’t a complete downer. After all, the final message is:
SPOILER: Show
“No hard feelings” from Seiko to Naomi.

That’s sweet. Bitter, but still sweet.

The Zero Escape titles are an infinitely better visual novel series available on 3DS.

=====

Replayed the two (officially released) GBA Fire Emblems:
Sacred Stones is still way too easy.
Blazing Sword hasn’t aged a day, it’s still great fun. Lyn is gorgeous.

Replaying these has really dropped my opinion of Fates.

=====

About to start Prof Layton & the Miracle Mask and PW: Spirit of Justice.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 pm

I got a PS4 for Christmas and the following games:

Street Fighter V
Mortal Kombat X
Batman: Arkham Knight
Final Fantasy XV

So far, I've only been playing SF5 and MK X. I beat what I think is the first chapter of Chun-Li's story arc since it came back to the character menu saying the Chun-Li level is 100 percent complete... :huh:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:36 pm

I played a demo of Nier:Automatia. I did find the scifi concept intriguing and while the gameplay took a while for me to get use to, it was enjoyable, though I've only completed the demo in easy mode to my detriment. The only concern I have is that I discovered from reading up on the title that it is part of a greater series, and if there are elements of that series that I need to know about, I might not be able to enjoy the game fully.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:43 am

Despite the fact that I am teh suck at fighting games, I decided to download M.U.G.E.N and a bunch of add-ons for it, as A: it's free, B: the endless modability, "anything goes" nature and potential for silliness appeals to me, and C: my poor negelected fightstick has been whimpering to be plugged in again. I've signed up on MUGEN Archive (and setup a small subscription service to both enable unlimited downloads and support a really cool archive) and I'm in the process of making my ideal crazy fighting game. Just need to download all the stupid silly characters now.

I've also downloaded Fighter Factory 3, so with some swotting up on that and Photoshop I should be able to make characters for the game (which knowing me I'll probably find a lot more rewarding than actually playing the game).
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Not playing anything new currently.

Waiting for Dark souls 3 DLC 2, NieR: Automata, Nioh and Resident evil 7.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:03 pm

I am currently playing through Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn. I have to say, it's a vast improvement over Gundam 3, the upgrade plans have been overhauled, and the ability to use Mobile Armors has finally been added. Fighting in the game is somewhat easier, especially when the Gundams are upgraded to the max, and the special attacks and charge attacks have been tweaked enough to make some fantastic gameplay changes. Money is much easier to come by as well, making purchasing training for the characters or creating and modifying upgrade plans.

As for the the game itself, the two modes, Official and Ultimate allow a lot things to be explored. Official Mode follows Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam SEED, and Gundam SEED Destiny. Ultimate Mode covers the other series in mash-up snippets, and offers players the ability to play some interesting scenarios. Also, there are many DLC missions, some based on OVAs or episodes of specific series. One such DLC mission (based on the OVA Endless Waltz) is part of my favorite DLC, and the DLC in general is wonderful btw. However, I am very glad (and excited) at my favorite Gundam finally being available... Wing Gundam Zero Custom.

Currently, I've gotten through much of the Ultimate Mode, and I'm working on upgrading several of the Gundams to their maximum potential.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 am

Recently, I picked back up The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past...only this time, with the randomizer patched in/turned on.

It's...definitely different than I'm used to. I've never tried speedrunning the game (in spite of how many times I've played it through since 1993), but I have done a few minimal item runs (strictly what you need to finish the game, nothing more). This is a whole new thing altogether...mainly because of trying to remember where every single chest (or NPCs/situations that can net you an item/consumable) is. Worth trying for those who need a little something new in their ALttP playthroughs.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:38 pm

On the advice of a friend I bought Overwatch. As I write this it's still installing so I can't comment just yet, but everything I've heard about it suggests it's actually a decent game, even if it is essentially Waifu Fortress 2. I'm normally very averse to Blizzard games, but this scratched an itch I didn't know I had. The fact it isn't a stupidly fast RTS or a MOBA helps, and given that it's actually an original property rather than yet another Starcraft/Warcraft title, I'm actually intrigued.

It helps of course that there's some top-tier waifus to be had from the game, and supposedly Tracer's appalling cockney accent is Dick Van Dyke levels of hilarious.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Just picked up a reasonably-priced copy of Corpse Party (3DS) earlier. Heard some good things but haven't played any previous versions (PC/PSP), so this should be interesting. Also snagged Titanfall 2 (XB1) cheap, just for the purpose of checking out/clearing the campaign. Might look into the MP if I end up liking it, I guess (I'm ordinarily a strict single-player guy, with a little time in co-op).

Also, finished another play-through of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (the XBL port) last week. It still continues to hold up amazingly after all these years. Good times, good times.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Got a copy of The Last Guardian last weekend and started playing it. Incredible game so far. Trico wins my award for best-animated anything in the history of video games, I can't believe how fluid and lifelike his movements are. Also very endearing, I don't think I've bonded with a video game character this deeply before. He really does become your lifeline and your buddy, and I find myself talking to him while playing the game as if he could actually hear me. Trico best thing! ^_^

Incredible game so far, I can't see myself rating it anything less than a 9 after I finish it.
[Redacted]

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:04 am

A few days ago, I finished Gravity Rush, and while I did enjoy it, there was one thing that concerned me as I was playing it. There were some boss level battles that I had trouble getting through, and while I did succeed, I didn't feel any sense of satisfaction in the success. I just felt a sense of exhaustion that it took so long. I will be getting the sequel sometime in the future, but I wonder if anyone else felt that way when playing a game.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:00 pm

^^^^^^

I remember also having some difficulties beating the bosses in Gravity Rush, but I thought it was just me not really getting the hang of the Vita controls. Either way, it wasn't anything particularly frustrating.

Except for the flying boss bellow the city, that one nearly drove me mad

What version are you playing? I assume it's probably easier on the PS4.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm

^Yes it is on the PS4. The thing about it is that I only started playing video games a little over a year ago, while most people, and perhaps yourself, have been playing since you were children. I wonder if that's the difference.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:18 pm

I've been having a great time with the relatively recent Metroid fangame AM2R. I can see why Nintendo moved to suppress this massively updated version of Metroid 2... It's damn good! Arguably even better than Zero Mission and Fusion, both of which it very successfully borrows from while still doing some original twists to the formula and staying true to the original Metroid 2 gameplay model generally.

Frankly Nintendo dropped the ball... should have hired this guy, given the game a little more polish and testing, then released it for real on a virtual console. This is exactly what the series needs to get over its current slump.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:37 am

MGS3 Snake Eater:

This game is frustrating. It's not the frustrating in that it makes me want to throw my controller on the ground and smash it. It's frustrating in that everything seems so counter-intuitive and you have to figure out every single button by dying ten times.

I understand it's a PS2 era game. But really, why does the triangle button control whether snake is squatting or lying flat? My muscle memory made me push that button thinking it was a button that in a game with a logically designed button assignment would have allowed me to take down One guard without jumping out of cover right into the middle of four of his buddies, requiring me to pull out the AK-47 I looted and waste my precious ammo, lalerting the 12 other guards to my presence, all so I don't have to restart the mission.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:14 am

^Constantly having to pause the game to don different camo gear annoyed me more than anything.

Cleared the third case of PW: Spirit of Justice. “Magical Turnabout” was kinda weak, and I didn’t like the final revelations of “Rite of Turnabout”. Suspension of disbelief is a funny thing; I can accept séances and spirit channelling, yet the idea of
hiding a body under snow with no cell damage noticeable by basic forensics, AND posing it a specific way against time and rigor-mortis

…is something I just don’t buy.
Regardless, it was nice to see the time-honoured tradition of Maya being falsely accused of murder make a return. It’s also great to see characters actually age over the course of the series.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”