Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:10 pm

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U version). It's, err...mainly why I've been absent lately. :lol:

I'm not sure if I have the words to properly explain how much I've enjoyed game. It's beyond everything I had been hoping for. It feels like Zelda in a lot of ways, but then feels nothing like the series in just as many others (it's been said by others before, but it feels closest to the first NES title in terms of its open-ended nature). But every bit of it has been nothing short of impressive so far. It's amazingly expansive (no lie, the game world is freakin' massive), there's very little hand-holding (minus a little at the game's start), the urge to explore on your own is rewarding and addicting, and the combat is strategic and tough (not Souls-level difficult, but far removed from the ease of most Zelda titles since OoT). I'm a week in, and I think this could be the easy contender for my own personal GOTY (even after RE7 surprised me quite a bit).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:15 pm

I've heard it's basically The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim. Nifty, but if it's not on PC or available for my phone I probably won't play it these days.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:20 pm

^ Kinda. Think Zelda, mixed with quite a lot of Far Cry 3/4/Primal (mostly the last one, on account of the lack of guns).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby CommanderFish » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 pm

AngelNo13Bardiel wrote:^ Kinda. Think Zelda, mixed with quite a lot of Far Cry 3/4/Primal (mostly the last one, on account of the lack of guns).

So, it's basically The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim With Guns (Without Guns Edition)?
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Been playing the hell out of Nier Automata. Wow, what an amazing game, it surpassed everyone's expectations.

It has very solid gameplay spearheaded by platinum games, a very cool and unexpected story filled with twists and drama, and an extremely unique world that is interconnected (think dark souls). The characters are also very lovable, despite being initially introduced as emotionless androids. Here is the basic story the way I understand it:
SPOILER: Show
>Aliens invaded Earth

>They created or stole machines, modified them, waged war on humans

>Humanity was wiped out

>Humans built androids, an eternal proof of mankind's existence, made in the image of men

>Over centuries, machines' AI evolved, it started to mimic humans. Societies, politics, and academics were embraced by machines - even self awareness and religious philosophical topics like Heaven, God, and the Soul

>The machines created the ultimate replica of a man, Adam

>The androids are in a war with the machines for centuries

That's all I'll say without getting into spoilers and plot twists. The story seems like a generic science fiction, but the great executions and many revelations make it very enjoyable and interesting. I would honestly rate this game a 9.5/10 - simply magnificent. Critics also think it's amazing:

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 pm

As I understand it the Nier plotline is actually a really, really long saga leading all the way back to Drakengard's Ending E (although in a Dark Souls-esque fashion this is only communicated through some small tidbits since most of the original backstory that was communicated to you in the first Nier has been forgotten by the time of Automata, and it doesn't help that there's a lot of it buried in supplemental materials and interviews).

The timeline as I understand it is this:
Major plot twists for Automata  SPOILER: Show
- Drakengard Ending E causes three giant magical beings to fall out of the Drakengard universe into modern-day Tokyo (as well as a bunch of Drakengard weapons you can use in the first Nier).
- As a result of various magical phenomena caused by the corpses of the Drakengard characters, humanity is threatened (these include a disease that causes people to turn into salt and some form of mental contamination that brainwashes people into forming a Legion that attacks the rest of mankind). Tokyo is seen as ground zero and is walled off, and later nuked, but this only causes the magical particles to spread across the globe and other countries are affected.
- Humanity is facing extinction. Eventually they come up with a solution by separating their souls from their bodies. This is Project Gestalt. It basically involves separating each human soul from their body and then re-inserting it into a Replicant body. Eventually all humans either die or have undergo the Gestalt procedure. Androids are created to shepherd the Gestalt program, such as the Devola and Popola models.
- However, the Replicant bodies develop their own sentience, which disrupts the original plan of simply reuniting a soul with a Replicant. Some of the original human Gestalt souls start decaying into mindless, hostile Shades.
- The events of the first Nier game occur. Without going into too much detail, Project Gestalt is destroyed. All human souls are doomed to degenerate into Shades and the Replicants will eventually die out because they can't reproduce. This is basically when humanity really goes extinct, although androids which were built by humans continue to exist.
- At some point after all Shades and Replicants are extinct, aliens invade Earth and create machine lifeforms to help them in this purpose. The character Emil from the first Nier game attempts to fight them by making a clone army of himself (he's an immortal skeleton bioweapon and maybe the closest thing left to an actual human) but the clones eventually lose their sanity and memories.
- However, the aliens are defeated when the machine lifeforms they created eventually overthrow them.
- The human-built androids desperately seek a purpose. In order to do this they launch what remains of the Replicant data to the surface of the Moon. It's basically remnants of data on human anatomy and DNA, but it is sufficient for the androids to create a masquerade so that they can claim there is still a human colony on the moon and set up a YorHa organisation to protect humanity by wiping out the machine lifeforms. In truth, humanity was gone before the aliens arrived. The machine lifeforms eagerly accept the antagonist role because it is believed that both sides can develop and become more like humans through an eternal war. This goes on for an unspecified amount of time.
- The events of Nier: Automata occur.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:38 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:As I understand it the Nier plotline is actually a really, really long saga leading all the way back to Drakengard's Ending E (although in a Dark Souls-esque fashion this is only communicated through some small tidbits since most of the original backstory that was communicated to you in the first Nier has been forgotten by the time of Automata, and it doesn't help that there's a lot of it buried in supplemental materials and interviews).

The timeline as I understand it is this:
Major plot twists for Automata  SPOILER: Show
- Drakengard Ending E causes three giant magical beings to fall out of the Drakengard universe into modern-day Tokyo (as well as a bunch of Drakengard weapons you can use in the first Nier).
- As a result of various magical phenomena caused by the corpses of the Drakengard characters, humanity is threatened (these include a disease that causes people to turn into salt and some form of mental contamination that brainwashes people into forming a Legion that attacks the rest of mankind). Tokyo is seen as ground zero and is walled off, and later nuked, but this only causes the magical particles to spread across the globe and other countries are affected.
- Humanity is facing extinction. Eventually they come up with a solution by separating their souls from their bodies. This is Project Gestalt. It basically involves separating each human soul from their body and then re-inserting it into a Replicant body. Eventually all humans either die or have undergo the Gestalt procedure. Androids are created to shepherd the Gestalt program, such as the Devola and Popola models.
- However, the Replicant bodies develop their own sentience, which disrupts the original plan of simply reuniting a soul with a Replicant. Some of the original human Gestalt souls start decaying into mindless, hostile Shades.
- The events of the first Nier game occur. Without going into too much detail, Project Gestalt is destroyed. All human souls are doomed to degenerate into Shades and the Replicants will eventually die out because they can't reproduce. This is basically when humanity really goes extinct, although androids which were built by humans continue to exist.
- At some point after all Shades and Replicants are extinct, aliens invade Earth and create machine lifeforms to help them in this purpose. The character Emil from the first Nier game attempts to fight them by making a clone army of himself (he's an immortal skeleton bioweapon and maybe the closest thing left to an actual human) but the clones eventually lose their sanity and memories.
- However, the aliens are defeated when the machine lifeforms they created eventually overthrow them.
- The human-built androids desperately seek a purpose. In order to do this they launch what remains of the Replicant data to the surface of the Moon. It's basically remnants of data on human anatomy and DNA, but it is sufficient for the androids to create a masquerade so that they can claim there is still a human colony on the moon and set up a YorHa organisation to protect humanity by wiping out the machine lifeforms. In truth, humanity was gone before the aliens arrived. The machine lifeforms eagerly accept the antagonist role because it is believed that both sides can develop and become more like humans through an eternal war. This goes on for an unspecified amount of time.
- The events of Nier: Automata occur.

Yup, you are correct. I spent dozens of hours reading up on all this in the last few months, kinda wish you made this post earlier so I didn't have to waste so much time catching up myself LOL!

And the plot of Nier Automata is as follows (with spoilers):

>Aliens invaded Earth
>They created machines and waged war on humans
>Humanity was wiped out
>Humans built androids, an eternal proof of mankind's existence, made in the image of men
>Top secret project YorHa was initiated. Under a false belief that the remnants of humans resided on the moon, the androids engaged in war with the machines for centuries, trying to take Earth back for their human masters
>Over centuries the machines' AI evolved, it started to mimic humans. Societies, politics, and academics were embraced by machines - even self awareness and religious philosophical topics like Heaven, God, and the Soul were being questioned and explored
>The machines created the ultimate machine replica of a man, Adam
>With Adam heavily influencing the machine network, they rebelled and annihilated the aliens (but androids didn't know that their "enemy" was already dead)
>Humans became the central interest for the new evolved self aware breed of machines - for human nature and behavior is an enigma in and of itself on Earth (Adam did not know humans were long since extinct)
>The androids continued to fight under a false belief
>Due to circumstances, 2B and 9S grew attached to each other. Perhaps the androids evolved as well, they started to resemble their creators, people, and developed emotions alongside other human characteristics
>You play the game, eventually 2B and 9S kill Adam and Eve

Ending A and B are not "endings" - they're the halfway point of the game:
-2B expresses love towards 9S and cries (very un-machine like)
-Act 2 follows the same story as 2B but from 9S' perspective, he too develops feelings for her. He also learns that there are no humans on the moon, it is just a data on mankind and some biological samples (DNA or tissue samples or something along those lines)

>Act 3 begins with the androids waging an all out assault on the machines now that their Adam and Eve leaders are dead
>The machines counterattack with a powerful virus on the android network. 9S saves himself by noticing the attack early and disconnecting from the network
>All androids die and their space station + network are destroyed
>2B gets infected too and is killed by A2, a rogue android that left YorHa
>9S realizes his meaningless existence; people are dead, androids are dead, 2B is dead, the aliens are dead, Adam is dead. It's only him and the destroyed Earth infected with mindless machines who went mad due to the virus and started killing each other - he vows to kill A2 and all the machines
>The story branches between A2 and 9S. From A2's perspective, she went rouge a few years ago and has since been living on Earth, killing machines. She meets Pascal but his village gets infected by the logic virus, and the robots kill each other. The machine network is corrupted entirely
>From 9S' perspective, a machine tower erects from the sky, and he sets out to collect keys to access it. We find out that the android cores and machine cores are made of the same material, that the two lifeforms are similar, and that is why the machine virus infected androids this easily
>He further learns that they're trapped in a cycle. The android-machine war is designed to always end in the destruction of YorHa by a virus and the cycle resets. This has been going on for centuries. The current cycle is in the hundreds or even thousands
>Once 9S and A2 (separately) make their way to the tower, it is revealed a computer lifeform who appears as a small girl in a red dress with black hair, N1, is behind the cycles. She noted that both lifeforms started trying hard to be human, to live like them, and that gotten her curious as to how this development would pan out
>A2 and 9S face off:

Ending C:
A2 kills 9S, then leaves him with pod, and she sacrifices herself to take down the source of the virus and the machine network by hacking it, ultimately destroying the tower. We then later see 9S' sword and blindfold in a forest by the river, implying he lived and gave up on being a YorHa android, perhaps he will live on as the closest thing to a human

Ending D:
9S and A2 kill each other. In his dying moments, 9S' consciousness connects with the machine network, where Adam's consciousness reveals the purpose of the tower. It is an ark, it contains all data and conciseness of machine lifeforms, and it is meant to be fired into space like a rocket, where it will drift in space for eternity, maybe one day creating life in some part of space. 9S is given the option to go with them or stay. If he goes, he ultimately rejected the YorHa project and developed self awareness. If he stays, he is hypothetically reunited with 2B upon death

Ending E:
Is a continuation if you choose to stay and die on Earth as 9S. The pods initiate the final phase of project YorHa, to delete all data on the project. But then the pods change their mind (perhaps they developed self awareness too), and decide to preserve all this data. As the pod narrates that it is nearly impossible to break the cycle, that it will always have the same result, they decided to believe in the possibility that one day the androids will be able to break out of the cycle. We then see that sometime later the pods re-assembled 2B, 9S, and A2 from spare parts of dead androids scattered throughout Earth, and that the pods will upload all the data back into them, so our protagonists will have their memories. Whether it's a blessing or a curse, to live knowing the futility and loneliness of your existence, is up to the player to decide

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:01 pm

I've been playing the Japan-only Dreamcast game Napple Tale (after meaning to get around to it for some time). This is an incredibly charming adventure-platformer hybrid, with a great soundtrack by Yoko Kanno and an adorably sassy heroine voiced by Maaya Sakamoto, set in a sort of Wonderland / dream-world kind of place. The story involves the girl (whose name is either Pouch or Porch) being accidentally brought over to the other side by an incompetent Spirit Guide named Straynap, who must then help her get back home. Not particularly different, but very fun (also quite funny) and a treat for the senses.

There is no English patch for it yet, but I know enough Japanese to be able to enjoy the game regardless. (I'm even trying to improve right now, so I can understand the story better before I go and initiate the final chain of events.) If you have at least some basic reading comprehension (kana, preferably some kanji), and enjoy games as an experience and not just a challenge, I highly recommend NT. There's a very good walkthrough at IGN if anyone wants to give it a shot.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 pm

@Stan, Shinoyami65 -

OOO so we're talking about Nier here. Yea I've been another one playing this game since it released, mostly finished, but I've gotta do the secret boss. Put like 55+ hrs into the game.

As I've done some extensive research into Drakengard and Nier since starting to play Automata, it's really is quite the giant in story telling. Not going to re-say all the stuff Stan just posted, but will say I absolutely love these series now.

Wish I knew about them in the past, and I hope Automata does well enough so Nier can get a remaster. It's a bit hard to find atm.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:05 pm

I've just finished Zelda BOTW and it's probably my new favorite game of all time or right on par with Half Life 2 and Mario Galaxy.
I've played many open world and various Zelda games (Skyrim, The Witcher, Morrowind, Oblivion, Far Cry, GTA V, Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker...) but nothing is nearly as perfect as Zelda is: no bugs in 150+ hours, the map is huge and every rock, waterfall or land is rich of secrets. The world is breathtaking and the gameplay is amazingly complex. The only aspect I wouldn't rate as a 10/10 is the ending that tease you too much without really giving you anything. It's a title that surely was worth the 4 years wait and the critical acclaim it recieved.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Corpse Party

Did you ever get round to finishing? How long did you last before going to GameFAQ?

Recently finished PW: Spirit of Justice. The final case was a great ending with some really whacky twists. I’ll probably buy the DLC cases on a later date.
Giving Prof.Layton and the Miracle Mask my full attention for now. Should keep me occupied until the next Fire Emblem comes out.

In the middle of The Walking Dead: New Frontier.
I never had any significant trouble with Telltale games until now; the graphical glitches can be pretty bad even on my fairly buff laptop with medium-quality texture settings.
Techincal issues aside- the story isn’t great, unfortunately.
Walkers are just a nuisance at this point, every once in a while they pop up and you’re like- “Oh yeah, this game has zombies in it”. I didn’t feel any real tension until the third episode’s warehouse sequence- where you’re racing against the clock to get into the building. More sequences like this would be a welcome thing.
A couple of complaints people keep moaning about is:
1) Clementine isn’t the player character. Boo-hoo. She’s still a big part of the story, quit bitching.
2) The episode lengths are too short. Sadly, this is true. The first two episodes are especially short. Unforgivably so. TT better pack something really special into the remainder of the season.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Currently 60 hours in playing Witcher 3...

The nuanced and meaningful social interactions between Geralt and everyone else are definitely a highlight for me. The way it doesnt railroad you and how some small but character- and immersion-building innocous choices can rear their head hours later in unforeseeable ways makes the world seem very believable and realistic. Everything is just so interesting, even the small sidequests. So much diverse content. Loooove this game.

The only gripes I have with the game are the gargantuan loading times and the constant fight against terrain and oncoming trees while traversing the world.

And I finally got around to playing Dark Souls 3

Its OK.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 am

gargantuan loading times

Shouldn't be a problem with a PC and an SSD drive but on a console...

--------------
Finally got the free versions of Starcraft and Saint's Row 2. The former it's for keeps, no more cd-keys.

The latter was indeed a buggy ride. Despite that the game was almost a decade old, it was very slow at 1080p and with one of the most advanced GPUs right now. And vehicle handling fucking sucks, it nearly made my stomach sick at trying to control the car.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun May 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Outlast 2 was okay.

I usually enjoy vague endings that don't tie everything up at the end, but this ending left too many things unexplained and I didn't feel satisfied.

I really hope there will be a dlc or Outlast 3.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

^
Outlast 2 spoilers  SPOILER: Show
The ending is basically meant to mean that everyone has gone insane (including the playable character) from Murkoff radio towers in the area. It doesn't really say anything conclusive because the protagonist's grasp on reality is basically non-existent by that point. Also, it's heavily implied there is no baby; Murkoff's experiments can produce phantom pregnancies that kill the women afflicted with them. The problem is that you would never know any of this without having played the first game and read a lot of in-game documents or supplemental materials.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon May 08, 2017 3:37 pm

^
Alright, now the story makes more sense.

I still don't feel fully satisfied about the end though.

I hope that if there's a dlc coming, it should allow us to play as someone (like the protagonist of Whistleblower dlc) who has little more insight on behind the scenes.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time has now been ported onto the PS4 and I've logged about 6.5 hours into it. The graphics are much crisper now, and details in the environment that were once blurry are now clear; I've played this game dozens of times, but with the new graphics I'm noticing things I'd never picked up on before.

I'm also more generally focused with the bonus battle gauge this time around. It's amazing how much extra experience you can accumulate if you can maintain the triple exp bonus. Once you activate the bonus battle, it's only a matter of the number of battles you participate in in order to get all the bonuses (including triple exp), rather than the relative difficulty of the battle, which is what determines the rate at which you can charge your bonus battle gauge. Best strategy to go about this is to go into a relatively challenging area first in order to charge your BBG, and as soon as it's activated, go back to a weak area and reap the rewards; it only takes at most a chain of 15 battles in order to get all the bonuses, and once triple exp is going you can start leveling up relatively quickly in any area you go to, so long as you don't lose your bonus. There's a few knights of the Black Brigade in the area after you escape the prison early in the game, and while they're extremely tough they reap extreme amounts of experience if you can defeat them and maintain your bonus battle.

Something to help this out is another trick I picked up on. If you explore at least 99% of any initially unknown field/dungeon map, you're rewarded with a scale bunny which you can sell for insane amounts of money (value varies according to the size of the map completed). You can get at least two of these by the time you make it to the mining town of Kirlsa, just after the royal city of Airyglyph. Airyglyph offers the best weapons and armor shops in the first half of the game, however everything is too expensive during your first visit. If you get these two scale bunnies I mentioned, you'll be able to afford one item (typically either a sword or set of armor for Fayt). I chose the sword, and that boosted his attack power tremendously (again, this weapon is normally not affordable until the last part of the first disc). Go on a little further in the game, and the story will require you to go back to the mining town of Kirlsa just next door to Airyglyph; by then you can potentially get two more of the scale bunnies and enough money to afford one more item from the advanced weapon and armor shops of Airyglyph. This time I chose the armor to complete Fayt's set, and now he's essentially entirely OP for the first half the game.

Take that, combined with the bonus battle Triple Exp trick, and you can get a pretty significant advantage early on in the game.

Can you tell I've played this game a lot? :tongue:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun May 28, 2017 6:08 pm

^ I downloaded SO:TET this morning while I slept. Just got home from work and finished the rest of my daily tasks, now it's time to begin another epic 80 to 100 hour journey. Time to kick Luther's ass in HD! :w00t:

*Update*

Ok so I'm roughly 20+ hours in and just recently got to Peterny. Yes I am taking my sweet time with this playthrough, partially so I can outfit my characters with that overpowered equipment from Airyglyph (GLORY TO AIRYGLYYYYYPH!!!). Currently I have Fayt and Nel fully equipped with it, not gonna bother getting it for Cliff because I'll be replacing him with Maria, and because I'm now building up my stable of inventors so I can make even more ludicrously overpowered weapons. And also because the gaunlet for Cliff costs an absurd amount of money that I'm not willing to farm at this point (twice as much as the weapons for the other two).

Just rescued best girl (Ameena) from the Duggus Forest. I've found out that I'm still attached to her after all these years, and am now mentally preparing myself to witness
her tragic and inevitable death once again.
[Redacted]

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:31 pm

Late last night (early this morning, really) I finally finished my first playthrough of SO:TET HD. My clear data clocked in at just over 72.5 hours, making this one of the fastest runs I've ever done in this game. It's still a 9/10 game after all these years, even though parts of it haven't aged well (notably the extremely user-unfriendly item creation system that requires a strategy guide to make the items you want). There's also a ton of systems/requirements in this game that are either barely hinted at or not explained at all. One could be forgiven for not even realizing it's possible to pair Fayt up with another party member in the ending scene, because the party affection point system is never even mentioned once. And as far as inventors go, many of them need you to get a specific item in order to recruit them. First time playing the game? Well you're out of luck because the game never says what items you need to get for them. Not even the inventors themselves will hint at what they want. Then there's all of the very easily missable side quests that require you to be exactly at x location at y time to trigger them, but the game never tells you about those either. Heck, I knew they existed and I still missed out on some of them because they took place at a different location than I remembered. I missed out on both Albel's early recruitment and the Ruddle/Rumina quest this time because I stayed at the wrong damn town's inn (I could have sworn it was Arias, but nope, it's supposed to be Peterny).

That said, the game is still outstanding in spite of its flaws. I was very surprised that specific scenes had nearly the same emotional impact on me as they did 13 years ago. And with age, my ability to relate to some party members has changed. Fayt seemed a lot more whiny this time around, and although I used to love Sophia and find Maria too bossy for my tastes, this time I found Sophia sightly immature and really empathised with Maria. As a matter of fact, Maria is now my favorite party member and the character I relate to the most. This time I also realized what a cheesy edgelord Albel is, I can't believe I used to think he was scary and cool. I was able to relate much more to Cliff's point of view now, and found him to be less boring than I did in the past. May he have a happy life back on the Space Texan Homeworld.

Overall I found this to be a far superior experience to playing it on the PS2, in spite of the HD version's far more crash-prone nature due to it being run via emulation. They actually got it to look better than I thought would be possible without a full remaster, although this just makes me want a proper remaster even more now. At least the game is no longer trapped on outdated retro hardware. And now, thanks to the ability to easily take screenshots, Farleen can finally become the meme she should have been all along. Smoke helium every day! :tongue:
[Redacted]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:14 pm

My pace on SO3 mellowed out a bit when I cleared the Shrine of Kaddan and started heading for the Ruins of Mosel. At that point of the game, a lot of things have opened up such as the inventors sidequest and a bunch of PAs. I experimented with different party combinations, but still find myself comfortable with the classic trio (Fayt, Cliff, Nel).

I really have been enjoying this playthrough a lot. Hopefully with the grinding I've been doing, I won't hit a difficulty wall when I get to Sphere Co (swear, the game gets way harder at that point), and I've been trying to complete as many PAs as possible. Can't wait to get to the game town and do the battle tournament.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”