Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:03 am

DOOM (2016? 4? Fuck you, vidya naming conventions) is fun as hell. Finally got around to it. I'm having far too much fun just smashing and tearing everything apart.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:58 am

I want to be Currently Playing Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition on my PC, but Capcom's GFWL-to-Steamworks save migration tool doesn't work with offline profiles, offline profiles cannot be turned into online profiles, and every trainer I can find that advertises an "unlock all chapters" feature (cuz all I want is to unlock Mercenaries mode without having to play through the entire story mode again, dammit) is either locked behind a paywall, trips my antivirus, or is probably outdated relative to any version of the game code accessible through Steam.

In the meantime, my big new addiction has been a combination of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. I never got around to mentioning in the appropriate topic(s) that I had beaten Persona 4 and Persona 4 Arena, but I did that in the past month. Chuckman's mention above of Doom 2016 reminds me that I haven't even started that yet, but eh, priorities -- I'm having just too much fun reading into Mankind Divided's politics and sneaking around with short bursts of glass-shield cloaking.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:27 am

Is DX:MD much of an improvement on HR? I've heard it's basically more of the same, but shorter. I've thoroughly enjoyed every (non-handheld) game in the franchise so far (yes including 2, but less so), but from some of the comments I've heard on this one I'm inclined to wait for a bundle of all the dlc together on sale.

I have very little free time to dig into games lately, mostly still plodding along in Fallout 4's craziness when I need to unwind a bit. Ritsuko is level ~170 now and still hasn't bothered to visit Far Harbor or Nuka World yet (or really tried much to save Shinji yet, meh), but I've got a veritable shitload of crafted and legendary gear, a solid fleet of eva-themed power armors with custom paintjobs, and quite a few settlement building projects progressing nicely.

I also spent a good deal of time in Aquaria, a quirky underwater metroidvania-ish game. Concept shows promise, but the powerups are few and rather lacking in fun factor. exploration is more tedious than in metroids, bosses less rewarding to best than in the castlevania entries. I'm quickly losing interest at about 75% done, and probably won't bother to finish it. especially bugs me that the maps are in giant chunks that freely overlap on the 2d plane.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:45 am

In the gameplay department I'm finding MD much more enjoyable than HR, but it really is more of the same and in a bygone era would have made more sense as an expansion pack than a sequel. A lot of what I think it does better comes down to really small things that tickle my particular fancy -- little tweaks. If you weren't enthusiastic enough about the game to buy it at launch, I can't think of a good reason for you to spring for it now if you were already willing to wait. Me, I just wanted the New Adventures of Adam Jensen that badly, and I'm not disappointed except by certain shady business practices built into the game.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:34 am

Been playing the new DOOM recently and holy hell this game is brilliant. I know some people are deriding it as "not real Doom" because Doomguy doesn't move at the speed of an express train and it has elements inspired by Brutal Doom like the glory kills, but seriously, screw that. This game is superb. Easily the best game I've played in ages. The gunplay is awesome, the music kicks arse, the controls are tight, the graphics are gorgeous...I don't have a single complaint about this. I just hope the SDK comes out eventually, so that combined with SnapMap it becomes the modding heaven the original was.

I also picked up Transformers: Devastation recently. As a childhood Transformers fan, I adore this game. It's Platinum so I don't see how it could have turned out badly really. The gameplay is punishing but fun, with just enough challenge to make the game interesting without being frustrating. There's tonnes of little references to Transformers canon without it becoming obnoxious. The 80s anime style graphics are just brilliant, and dear god the music. I love it. If you like Transformers, buy this game. If you like Platinum, buy this game. If you don't like Transformers, you will after playing this game.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Suda 51's The Silver Case has finally been translated into English and released on Steam. I'm playing through it now and I'd say it's defininitely worth checking out for fans of killer 7 or Flower, Sun and Rain, but the odd gameplay won't be everyone's cup of tea sadly.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:08 am

All of a sudden, without even meaning to, I beat Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, after just (I know, "just") 54 hour of play, which sounds like a lot until you realize just how much time a guy like me spends approaching situations in different ways in a game like this. That went faaast.

But I had fun. MD helped scratch a stealth gameplay itch I haven't scratched properly since The Phantom Pain (because Dishonored just wasn't cutting it). I loved dashing from cover to cover, selecting when and for how long to active my cloak, keeping my energy at its minimum restoration level to save on biocells.

Biocells I basically never used, by the way, and that's one thing that's got me a little irked by the end: The game is way too easy. And I don't mean that in terms of all the little things it does to make stealth easier than it would be in other similar games that lack such features as an indicator of impending detection (which I love so much for all the save-reloads it saved me from), but rather, by the time I was done, I discovered that I'd been saving up all these buckets of restoratives and ammo for a big hurdle that never came. There's just too many damn supplies, and it's too easy to get by without using them.

The game's short length is arguably to its benefit, because unlike HR I feel like I might actually jump into a second go-around. I'm interested now to try to play the game a few different ways, such as trying to go the whole game without any weapons at all (or at least, to the extent possible) just to see how low of a minimum I can bring my resource usage down to.

And then at some point I suppose I should break down and do a guns-blazing run just to let that out, because I haven't done that in any video game with "You can play how you want but really you're supposed to go all stealth no kills" gameplay in a lonnng time.
System Administrator

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Valkyria Chronicles

Dammit, I bought the game, yet it looks ****tier than my pirated copy.

After adjusting the screen settings to make it look less awful, I then found out that my tank wouldn't climb hills. Since this was the first time I ever took it onto a hill, I thought this was a result of my loadout on it being too heavy. But noooooooooo~. Turns out, it's because my screen refresh rate is too fast.

HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK?!?

WHAT'S THE POINT OF A 144HZ REFRESH RATE SETTING IF IT BREAKS THE GAME?!?

WHY DO I EVEN CARE TO USE IT IN A SLOW-PACED TURN BASED STRATEGY TITLE THAT'S OVER 8 YEARS OLD?!?

WHY DOES THE GAME THINK I CARE ABOUT SOME FLYING PIG?!? YOU'RE IN A WAR WHERE THE (NOT) NAZIS SPENT THE LAST 5 TURNS GOING THROUGH ALL YOUR FARMING TOWNS WITH A ******** FLAMETHROWER! WHY HAVEN"T YOU EATEN HIM YET?

WHERE IS THE EPISODE WHERE SAD MUSIC PLAYS AS LARGO SPORKS HIM AND ALICIA MAKES EVERYONE PORK SANDWICHES WITH FEATHER GARNISHMENTS?!?

ALICIA'S NOT A TSUNDERE, I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE ANIME LYING TO ME ABOUT THAT. BUT I'M ECSTATIC THAT SHE"S VOICED BY SORA FROM DIGIMON, SO IT'S ALL GOOD.

NADINE IS TOTALLY MY WAIFU; SHE'S THE ONLY ENGINEER WHO ISN'T ALLERGIC TO DESERT OR BREAKS HER OWN GUN-- RAMSEY.

Okay.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots BP

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:52 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK?!?

Per-frame instead of per-time physics, is my first guess.
System Administrator

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Per-frame physics are bullshit. Just ask that Need for Speed game (Carbon was it?) where unlocking the 30 FPS cap would cause the game to run at double speed and the physics to spaz out.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:29 am

The Silver Case
Despite being basically a VN with short controllable puzzle segments this game is getting pretty good. I'm not sure if I'm just giving it more praise because I've got a basic understanding of what the hell is going on from some of the other games in the franchise, but the writing is solid and the story so far has been much more engaging for me than Flower, Sun and Rain. Playing FSR felt pretty boring to me, possibly because of how unneccessarily complex the puzzles were while much of the environment was closed off in the early stages. The Silver Case has fairly simplistic puzzles, even less complicated than those in killer7, but like killer7 it seems to understand that the puzzles don't have to be extremely difficult because they're meant to shepherd the player/reader to the next segment of the narrative, rather than forming a barrier to it. Additionally, the dialogue of the characters comes off as much more natural than in killer7 or FSR- there's still very much a sense of the usual Suda51 weirdness, but we're also shown more mundane aspects of the characters which help to keep parts of the setting grounded and more relatable whereas in FSR the esoteric speech of some characters can be frustrating. I was somewhat worried that the English translation wouldn't be good, but it's actually very well done and whoever was doing it was also careful to ensure that the in-game references to the previous games in the series (Moonlight Syndrome etc.) and the foreshadowing for FSR were kept in place.

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:15 pm

I've taken to a second playthrough of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. This time around I'm throwing my inner roleplayer's annoyance to the curb and approaching the game more as a game than as a simulation, and getting a lot more out of the experience (at the same time as I maintain that the game would be a much better experience if it didn't expect me to break into random people's homes, wander around places I have no reason to be, steal everything that isn't nailed down, and hack everything in sight just because).

My observations from my first time through have allowed me to do away with everything I know I won't need, which creates a wonderful feeling of efficiency. And because I keep selling nearly everything I pick up (because if you're going the stealth route, you don't even need a gun), there's no reason to increase my inventory capacity, which means that much more Praxis to spend on other fun things.

Of course, that's also the game's weakness. Reminiscent of Yahtzee's critique of Metal Gear Solid 4, DX:MD is another one of those stealth games where you get a ton of cool shit you will never ever need.

Or at least, that's true if you play it as a stealth game, but the problem is, there's every incentive to play it that way and no incentive I can find not to other than sheer kicks. If you go full stealth, you will never need a single healing item all game, you can insta-kill everyone (some requiring just a little more thought and effort than others), your resources will pile up, and increasing the difficulty doesn't seem to change much about the experience (or at least it hasn't for me so far).

But of course I'm just one particular kind of gamer, and perhaps I'll change my tune if I ever get around to a guns-blazing playthrough.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Eh, I didn't have the patience for that in HR. Passive/Stealth is option one, but things go wrong eventually and I just roll with it when it does. Save-scumming to get an all-stealth nonlethal takedown run is just too damn tedious.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:56 am

At long last I got around to correcting a historical injustice by playing through Resident Evil 5's story mode one more time to unlock Mercenaries mode on the Steamworks version. I used a trainer to make the process as swift as possible (infinite health, 1-hit kills) so even though I had to do the final chapter legit (that's 6-1 through 6-3 to be precise) because the trainer crashed anytime I tried it therein, my official playtime was still below 5 hours. I consider myself lucky.

Then I looked online for mods because I figured that after going to this effort I might as well enjoy all the benefits having the game on PC gets me and what do I find in practically the first place I look but a trainer that would have let me stage-select straight to the end without having to play everything before it. :facepalm:

But the experience was far from a waste. Near the end of this playthrough, I started actually watching the cutscenes and reading the documents, and thereby noticed things that I hadn't since the last time I played, like
Resident Evil Revelations 2  SPOILER: Show
an intelligence report made by an "Alex W." found on the ship, foreshadowing back in fucking 2008 a character who would come along over a pentad later in Revelations 2. Granted, I already knew a lot of this from files you can find in Lost in Nightmares, but this was during the campaign, so I assume it had actually been there since the initial release.

Which helped give me a whole new appreciation for the story mode.

Also, and this is hardly the first time I've thought this, but, damn, this game has such great facial animation. That sheer level of production quality is rare even today, but Capcom made it look easy by throwing it into an almost throwaway story just as a matter of course and ruined my expectations for years thereafter. :lol:
System Administrator

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Crusader Kings 2. I don't think I've ever devoted so much time to something I am so horrible at.

Edit: I'm using a bunch of mods to roleplay a vicious vampire queen from Asshai slowly bring all of Westeros under her thumb.

Edit 2: A lesbian vampire queen.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:40 am

Castlevania: Order Of Ecclessia

I busted out one of my old Castlevania cartridges to mentally prepare myself for Bloodstained whenever it gets here.

I've completed most of the quest but I'm trying to 100% it. a to 100% it I have to find some onyx so that I can make a pendant for the jeweler in the hub town that will allegedly give me an advantage in the final battle. The problem is I sold the first Onyx I had in order to power the miser ring ( which gives you a stat boost depending on how much money you have in your wallet). And I can't remember which monster it was that gave it to me.

Help?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:12 am

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Killing Floor 2 is finally out of early access!

This is probably one of my favourite new releases, although if you're not looking to slaughter waves of zombies in a variety of ways and/or have a fear of blood and viscera there's not much more to be found. It feels like both a bit less and a lot more than the old KF1, which was itself a spruced up game mod which happened to be very addictive.

The main difference for me is how different it feels to play with the Sharpshooter perk, although it's kind of a mixed bag. Old!Sharpshooter lived in a less advanced graphical era and thus didn't have much difficulty with recoil, and large targets were both a bit less hardy and more predictable, to the point that I have fond memories of one-shotting the otherwise tough Scrake enemy on Normal difficulty with a well-placed crossbow bolt to the brain. KF2's enemies are much more mobile and unpredictable, with a fairly wide range of climbing, twitching a writhing that can carry them that one crucial inch out of your crosshairs at the slightest provocation. Large enemies are tougher- I can't one-shot a Scrake with a crossbow anymore, but the crossbow itself has been made cheaper as a result, with two higher-damage weapons above it, and now has a nice mechanic that lets you pick up any bolts that don't land to reuse them. These aren't unwelcome changes, though, as they make the Sharpshooter class feel more skill-based and also makes it feel a bit more special when I sell my crossbow for a railgun. However, I do feel that this means that it's much easier and more desirable to simply pick one of the other bullet-hose classes to succeed. I do think that support and field medic have become a bit more crucial and useful, though, and they are now much better at both keeping a team alive with also fending off enemies.

And I'm nothing like you

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Dragon Ball Fusions comes out tomorrow after being pushed up 3 whole weeks! I think I'll take a break from Pokemon Sun to check that out. It looks like a lot of fun. ^_^
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:06 am

I have Elder Scrolls online now if anyone is interested in playing with me
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”